Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

02 - Hey There Delilah (polsy)

We get some gameplay. Stuff happens.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Underwear stuff :circlefap:

As an expert in hiking boots I believe you should get new ones. Soles are good things for boots to have. (I don't know the first thing about hiking boots aside from buzzwords and waterproofing.)

Also glad that the dialogue, for being so prominent, is pretty decent. Even if there's a crazy dude in them woods.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Am sad your first instinct was not to throw the fireworks on the campfire to see if there was a Easter egg / comedy reaction for it.

There is.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Jade Star posted:

Am sad your first instinct was not to throw the fireworks on the campfire to see if there was a Easter egg / comedy reaction for it.

There is.

Holy poo poo. I never even considered it. Which is funny since I've gotten poo poo for throwing fireworks on a fire in real life. I was thinking about a bonus video to show some specific scenes or choices I miss in the main playthrough. I guess that goes on the list.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

They should have asked their publisher for some even more intriguing fireworks labels (although I guess they wouldn't be period accurate then).

For light to medium-duty hiking boots, get the lightest, cheapest boots you can get that offer enough protection for your feet and ankles. It's hard to really say what's good because everybody's feet are different. But in my experience it's better to not worry about durability, since you'll be happier with lighter shoes that you have to replace in five years than some bombproof clunkers that weigh ten pounds.

Just as a note, the Shoshone is a National Forest [ a real one, in fact] but not a National Park. Firearms would be allowed on National Forest land in the 1980s, I think.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Now that the opening is out of the way, I must say the game does look pretty. It has a good use of color and slightly non-realistic, borderline cartoonish design that pairs well.

"Walking simulators" are an odd business. They try to be a showcase for the story, but usually do a bad job at delivering the story. I recently played Three Fourths Home on my PS4, a game which I didn't hate, but felt the "game" part of it took a back seat to the (rather mediocre) story, an opinion which I also had about Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. From what I've seen so far, I guessing Firewatch keeps the interactivity interesting.

Also, I may have missed it in the text options, but why didn't "nice guy" Henry explain to the girls that he's from the firewatch? Sure he can't arrest the girls, but they might not know that, unless they've done this before. Hm....the mystery deepens.

YoungCletus
Sep 7, 2010
Hello I am here to participate in a thread for once!

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Which is funny since I've gotten poo poo for throwing fireworks on a fire in real life.

I can say that this was a frightening moment for all involved! Frenzy is no longer in charge of our fireworks.

Mr. Highway posted:

Also, I may have missed it in the text options, but why didn't "nice guy" Henry explain to the girls that he's from the firewatch? Sure he can't arrest the girls, but they might not know that, unless they've done this before. Hm....the mystery deepens.

I also thought of this, but I wrote it off to "It's my first day" and being way outside his comfort zone.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

03 - Mean Girls (polsy)

Posting this update at a weird time, because tomorrow Cletus, Swordfish, and I are all off for a cottage weekend. It's not exactly in the middle of the wilderness, but it'll still be in tents if you know what I mean.

Mr. Highway posted:

The unfortunate, boring answer is that the girls have to be pissed at Henry for the story. Otherwise this video I just posted wouldn't make sense.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

03 - Mean Girls (polsy)

but it'll still be in tents if you know what I mean.

Don't come back

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You can get away with hardly saying anything about your wife if you don't want to. I never opened up about her, and Delilah would press but got almost nothing from me. Maybe you have to be sort of hostile otherwise to begin with. That misses out on a lot of dialogue, it seems, so I wouldn't want that in the LP. I played Henry as a jerk and I don't really like Delilah much so I didn't mind pissing her off (I may not like these people but I think they are good characters.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Posting this update at a weird time, because tomorrow Cletus, Swordfish, and I are all off for a cottage weekend. It's not exactly in the middle of the wilderness, but it'll still be in tents if you know what I mean.
Swordfish, you're not going to find out who did it by actually going out there, this is not a series of factual events.

Also you're gonna want to take slenderman repellant. It's Slender-season.

Edit: Oh right GAME DESIGN TALK!

To answer the question of 'how much work goes into putting 'gateways' into these games' the basic gist is: more and less than you think.

To be more specific:
At the conceptual level they had to decide to put in these unlockable gateways in order to promote the sense of exploration and freedom while still having a linear storyline.
Then they had to work on the story/map.
With story and map in the works they had to decide how many types of gateways to put in and what would be fitting for the area (aided by this being an actual park and the game being about hiking.)
Then as they iterated on the game and refined it, the number and types of gateways would also be iterated on, along with the keys to them and where you'd get those. They likely added more slopes/overgrown paths/other unlockable gateways in order to streamline trekking across the map during this process.
Finally, they'd spend some time on them during the final polishing stages to add more conversations/observations to them along with other flavor events (like naming Widowmaker and falling off of it etc.)

And that's still a pretty abstract take on the whole process. The iteration and refinement is a lot of work.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 29, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Are there many other things like the tortoise or the views off the cliffsides out there? I see you're taking quite a straight route between story points whereas I would probably waste a whole lot of time just checking behind every bush.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - Cabin in the Woods (polsy)

Valiantman posted:

Are there many other things like the tortoise or the views off the cliffsides out there? I see you're taking quite a straight route between story points whereas I would probably waste a whole lot of time just checking behind every bush.

There's lots of little things in this game, but they're usually not hidden to the point that you have to go crazy searching. Although I don't know about everything, so maybe there is some hidden stuff and I just haven't found it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
So Henry murdered two teenage girls in the woods. Wow, this story took a turn for the dark quick.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jade Star posted:

So Henry murdered two teenage girls in the woods. Wow, this story took a turn for the dark quick.

They were vandals. No jury in the world would convict. :colbert:

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde

Really enjoying this so far. Thanks to your, Swordfish, and Cletus' commentary on this and the Dead Rising LP, I've gotten a reputation at work as the guy who cackles like a madman while watching internet videos on his lunch break. :hfive:

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

paragon1 posted:

They were vandals. No jury in the world would convict. :colbert:

Plus, you have to remember this takes place in the 80s when drunk teenagers infested national parks like rats. If you don't control the problem, they'll drink their food supply into exhaustion and sober to death.

With Delilah's "strange" behavior, suspect fence, and the mystery man with the flashlight, I'm starting to get afraid the game will pull a twist where Henry's actually in some sort of government experiment.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey guys, no update today because I was bad with my scheduling. But instead, here's some photos from my last hiking trip that Firewatch keeps reminding me of.

A nice campsite, and my awsesome backpacking tent that I've really only gotten to use twice.

Pretty sure this is a sunset. Might be a sunrise. Who knows.

This is a cool photo. I think I used a panorama function.

While this photo has nothing to do with forests, it's one of my favourite pictures ever. This is me taking a piss off the top of Sirius Peak in the Rockies. Note: that picture was taken like 12 years ago and I'm wearing the boots that just died last year.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

While this photo has nothing to do with forests, it's one of my favourite pictures ever. This is me taking a piss off the top of Sirius Peak in the Rockies. Note: that picture was taken like 12 years ago and I'm wearing the boots that just died last year.

Wait, are we sharing pictures of us peeing off of mountains? Well then buddy, I want in on this.

This is me peeing off some small mountain a little south east of the home town of fellow goon Tiny Turtle, nearish Akranes Iceland. The photo was taken with out my knowledge by fellow goon GuavaMoment. Let me tell you it was windy as gently caress up there and my pee made a 90 degree mid air turn and never hit the ground as far as I remember, just said 'gently caress this' made a right angle and then was turned into a fine windy mist.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Well, I was hoping some people would share their photos too. I just didn't expect the very first one to also be a mountain pee photo. That's a good one though, nice looking clouds and then pissing all over that town.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Well, I was hoping some people would share their photos too. I just didn't expect the very first one to also be a mountain pee photo. That's a good one though, nice looking clouds and then pissing all over that town.

Heck, why didn't you just say so? Here's some from a recent trip I did with my brother:

Bonus: Couple of ~200 mile mountain hikes.

1: Mountain in the distance is crowned by a glacier, that's about half way over the mountain range.

2: Highland lakes tour, round trip.

I'm greatly enjoying this firewatch LP, by the way, and I thank you for making it. Both the game and your pictures really get me thinking about how much of a difference there is to hiking and hiking custom in different countries. I would never go hiking with your kind of tent, for instance, it would be torn apart in the highland winds, and we never carry water because almost all the water where I go is safe to drink as is most of the time. I'd never go hiking anywhere in shorts of any kind, under any circumstances, and I'd never go anywhere without a fairly large knife, some storm tinder (emergency tinder, such as thin strips of tire that burn when wet and drafty weather), and I would never go hiking without proper boots with ankle support - which brings me to another point: In firewatch, the guy climbs down sheer cliff faces and such by jumping, jumping down. :psyduck: That poo poo will earn you a broken ankle in the mountains, and then you are most likely screwed, especially if you're trekking alone. It's just insane that they have that be the method of descent for this guy, in a game ostensibly about the outdoors. Not that, you know, I expect many people playing this will hike a lot or be dumb enough to consider that a good idea, but still. Weird.

Anyway, I make my own shelters, camp fires and whatnot and we almost never use pre-prepared camp sites (the first set of pics are the only time I can remember, actually). It's weird to me to see different people camping in pre-prepared spots, though I guess it makes a lot of sense if you get a lot of campers and want to minimize the impact on the local environment.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
:siren:BACK TO MIRROR'S EDGE:siren:

05 - Ropeburn (polsy)

We're going to jump back into Mirror's Edge for a while and keep investigating this murder/frame job/conspiracy.

Awesome pictures, man. It's definitely clear that our tents were designed for two different environments. As for the pre-prepared campsites, those pictures were taken in Algonquin Provincial Park. Provincial parks are pretty picky about things like that. They only sell as many permits as they have campsites and you have to stay on a site. I'm sure it is so they can limit the damage from people lighting fires and cutting wood. It's kind of nice though, because even out on the backcountry trails all the campsites have thunder boxes nearby.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Here's the wikipedia article on Cascadia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_%28independence_movement%29
Which I'm sure everyone already looked up after hearing it mentioned in the video anyway.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Awesome pictures, man. It's definitely clear that our tents were designed for two different environments. As for the pre-prepared campsites, those pictures were taken in Algonquin Provincial Park. Provincial parks are pretty picky about things like that. They only sell as many permits as they have campsites and you have to stay on a site. I'm sure it is so they can limit the damage from people lighting fires and cutting wood. It's kind of nice though, because even out on the backcountry trails all the campsites have thunder boxes nearby.

Oh, Canadia. That is a beautiful location, reminds me a lot of the swedish lake-country. That policy makes a lot of sense, and is an absolute must for preservation. I want to go canoeing in Canada so incredibly much, ever since this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HoHfqgyia8

I have to admit, I'd never heard about Cascadia before, it's pretty interesting stuff.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
One thing that I really love about the game, which doesn't get shown off too much because you guys are talking a lot - which I love and is definitely not a bad thing - is the soundtrack to this game, by Solar Fields. This level's track in particular, Ropeburn, is really, really good, but the soundtrack in general is just absolutely phenomenal and fitting. Apparently he did the soundtrack to Catalyst, as well, but I haven't listened to that yet. One of his albums, Movements, was the soundtrack to the indie game Capsized and he has a bunch of good albums in general. Everyone should check him out.

The outtakes remain the best part of these videos, though, Frenzy. The last two got me.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - New Eden (polsy)

Another issue with this level that I meant to mention but got distracted: I dislike how the mission is to get to the mall, but about 10 seconds after you get there, the objective switches to run away. I get why it's happening, it just kinda makes it feel like a waste of time.

Spoilered so people can watch the video first.

Sir Potato posted:

One thing that I really love about the game, which doesn't get shown off too much because you guys are talking a lot - which I love and is definitely not a bad thing - is the soundtrack to this game, by Solar Fields. This level's track in particular, Ropeburn, is really, really good, but the soundtrack in general is just absolutely phenomenal and fitting. Apparently he did the soundtrack to Catalyst, as well, but I haven't listened to that yet. One of his albums, Movements, was the soundtrack to the indie game Capsized and he has a bunch of good albums in general. Everyone should check him out.

I did mean to mention it at some point, but you're right that the talking over the game kinda screws that up. But yeah, the soundtrack is great. It really gives a unique feel to the game and its awesome that they got Solar Fields to do the Catalyst soundtrack as well. That game feels different a lot of the time, but when stuff starts happening and the music kicks in it's great. It's all available on YouTube for anyone who wants to give it a listen.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

You can take out the guy with the LMG. I disarmed him in one of my playthroughs (on hardest difficulty because he kept sniping me in the middle of the jump to the rafters), which spawns more people.

But, yeah, this level and the last few cutscenes really demonstrate how thin the writing is, how the story is primarily an excuse to get you to different locales.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Cherry Hill? Bridgewater. :colbert:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I got stuck on that jump near the end, in the part with the LMG guy. I kept either coming up short or getting shot before I could make it. I love this game, but that part almost made me just give up. I wish they had been a little less hellbent on throwing cops at you. My favorite part of the game was the exploration and the challenge of getting through the environment. Sometimes the police make it more intense, but sometimes, like this level, it just starts getting old.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

07 - Pirandello Kruger (polsy)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Why did the government need a super secret project to give police officers runner training?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The most compelling villain in gaming history, "that guy". :geno:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, if they just wanted the levels to be an excuse to put you in various interesting chases and locations, why not drop the big plot and just make it a series of vignettes about being an underground courier in an authoritarian state? A story about Faith's surprisingly dangerous day job and the people she meets would've worked better.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Finally caught up on both of these let's plays and I like them a lot! Both of these games are very stylish, and I look forward to seeing what will happen next.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Night10194 posted:

You know, if they just wanted the levels to be an excuse to put you in various interesting chases and locations, why not drop the big plot and just make it a series of vignettes about being an underground courier in an authoritarian state? A story about Faith's surprisingly dangerous day job and the people she meets would've worked better.

Parkour World Championship ft. Deathbots

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why would you need to spend ungodly amounts of money training PMCs to parkour when you could easily just off these runners with some snipers?

I mean the police already have choppers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paragon1 posted:

Parkour World Championship ft. Deathbots

Putting deathbots into just about anything improves it. :colbert:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Public image. The whole city is built around the idea of this neat and clean and safe environment for the citizens. You start opening up with gunfire from helicopters and then the people start thinking they are living in a war zone.

Which doesn't really explain a few times there actually IS a helicopter raining bullets down on Faith. So all I can say for that is that it's a one time 'highly wanted criminal on the run' and not something the city wants to be doing as a regular thing. Parkour cops could be considered a much more public friendly alternative. Or using the minimum force necessary to stop runners rather than turning rooftops into a shooting gallery.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If they didn't already use multiple helicopters with machine guns already I'd buy that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Maybe they already blew the helicopter budget and now they have to invest in parkour cops until the next fiscal quarter.

• Locked thread