Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Only Lex Luthor needs to kill superman tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Rutibex posted:

every piece of iron was floating through space at some point or another. meteor iron was just floating there more recently. it shouldn't really matter, its all space metal :shrug:

Hemoglobin contains iron

I'm from space

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

thanks white science guy

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

TheMostFrench posted:

How many mass shootings should there be before gun control stops being reactionary policy waving?

All of them

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nicomo posted:

See the Orlando shooting main thread for a fairly detailed discussion

If this is about your post of just TRYING ineffectual laws just to see if they work then lol.

Come on guys please let me ban all guns just to see if it will do anything! :3:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Al Cowens posted:

The tag says "Humor" and yet this thread doesn't even seem to be trying to be funny :(

PM me and let's get down to the meme laboratory and see if we can whip up the next krazy krusty meme

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nicomo posted:

Not ban all guns at all, just put more restrictions on Assault Rifles :(

I'll go ahead and tell you right now that no it didn't work because it was tried for 10 years in the mid 90s to early 00s. The only reason it got repealed was because a sunset clause got attached to it. Normally ineffectual laws don't get repealed though, they just restrict the next thing down the line and tell everyone to eat poo poo.

See: California, New York

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This is familiar. I think this game was good?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Australia banned guns and I heard they have literally zero crime now and everyone lives in kangaroo pouches

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Roylicious posted:

Plus I feel like the Left goddamn knows a gun ban isn't ever going to happen but they bleat about it anyway so they can pretend like they are doing something and so they can feel good about themselves without actually having to change anything. Taking a super radical position you know won't ever happen so you can be smugly superior to everyone else is some bullshit.

The left is about making yourself feel good to fill the void in your soul. It doesn't matter if it's actually good, it just has to feel that way.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Like domestic animals basically.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emoji posted:

Cause a few? You know for a fact that the fraction of active gun violence stopped by other legal civilian gun owners is statistically meaningless. Just admit you're gun crazy and love guns.

haha ~*gun violence*~

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Incremental gun control and well thought out buybacks. You dont have to drop Australia style laws all in one go. The increments need to be significant. Enforcement of existing gun laws needs to be a top priority.

Yeah all rights need to be eroded slowly so the stupid populace doesn't get wise to it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Cartouche posted:

Funny thing about things that are stopped. They tend to not happen.

Heh well how come I never heard about these things that didn't happen??? Checkmate ammosexuals :smug:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emoji posted:

So you're admitting you have no answer but won't admit your gun enthusiasm is purely emotional.

*sticks fingers in ears* Oh man gun owners totally btfo!!! Can they ever recover???

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emoji posted:

I wasn't speaking about most gun owners, because most of them also also know they're dangerous and are aware that gun violence occurs? I'm talking about people like you.

Gun violence, the special type of murder that makes you extra dead vs regular murder.

Tell me how dangerous I am. I mean I could level a city block at any moment of my guns somehow all got together and formed guntron, giant gun robot.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emoji posted:

You're dangerous because of your highly emotional attachments to guns, not just because you have them. People are much less likely to murder if it's more difficult than pressing a button because then it requires thought.

Lol how many crimes do you think I've perpetrated in my life?

If I handed you a gun would you then proceed to murder everyone around you? Has your personality changed innately because of what item is in your hands?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emoji posted:

You've probably committed many minor crimes but that's beside the point. Haven't you ever heard of non-premediated murder? It probably makes up most of them. Regular people get enraged all the time, or simply accidentally fire them. You're insane if you think people in general have the discipline to responsibly own a gun.

These regular people sound absolutely terrifying. Maybe we should preemptively jail or monitor them so they don't hurt anyone lol. You sound like you're a hair trigger from murder, friend. Have you considered seeking professional help? B^)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emoji posted:

I am also playing somewhat of a devil's advocate as I have enjoyed shooting guns and much of my family is rednecks. But the way people get so emotionally defensive about their guns is really off-putting to me.

You seem to be arguing in good faith so I'll drop the shitpost act with you. "Gun violence" is an essentially meaningless propaganda phrase based on the flawed notion that a gun makes people extra dead vs regular murder. "Gun deaths" conflate suicide (which is like 2/3 of the count) with murder (the bulk of which is gang/drug trade related). It's supposed to trick people into thinking of murders. That's why I keep loving with you for using the phrase.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

FrankieGoes posted:

We just have to hang onto our guns for another year or two and the zombie apocalypse will start and shortly thereafter all liberal men will be dead and all liberal women will be sex slaves to whoever has the most 22LR bricks.

poo poo I knew I should have hoarded .22

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

FrankieGoes posted:

Some world class economists have been looking into the issue and have come to the conclusion that a good quality liberal woman will run you 6 bricks.

Also they think 223 will be exchangeable for 22LR at a 1:10 ratio.

I just had an idea. I'm going to hoard women and trade them for ammo in the coming apocalypse.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Sancho posted:

Very cool agree. I only wish Everytown or w/e wack rear end org was just as cool to the American people.

It will never be. It's a slick astroturf org bankrolled almost entirely by a New York billionaire.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

emoji posted:

It's not that popular. Not where people actually live anyway.

Concealed is way better unless you're out in the woods. Why draw the attention to yourself otherwise? (I realize that's the whole point)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Also the NRA is made up of actual human beings paying membership, vs Everytown for moms demanding action being a Bloomberg mouthpiece staffed by PR firms.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Gun Owners Licenses should be a thing

With separate certifications for shotguns, rifles and pistols

i need a TABC to serve sell/serve someone a Budpisswater but God forbid i need to learn a law or two or know wtf im doing to get a gun

Licensing alcohol sales famously stopped underage drinking and alcoholism so we should definitely apply this thinking to more things in society.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

game recognizes game

Lol nice

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Enjoying this "going out with a blaze of glory" posting mindset. Luckily he is mentally ill and barred from owning guns, so he shits up gbs instead of shooting up his special ed school.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Harrower posted:

Your exclusion of "legitimate self defense with a fire arm" was correct because that has never happened, not even once. And you were especially right to exclude the always controversial theoretical self defense with a fire arm where a would be criminal was discouraged from a criminal act because he had reason to believe his victims might be armed. That's just pure imagination right there.

Which is more heavily steeped in a deep rooted culture of imperialistic white privilege, America or Europe? Lets have a privilege off. Keep in mind were dealing with such lovely places as Spain and of course Britain, which have significantly longer histories than the Americas, to the point where they ended up creating the Americas. Who should be the true bearer of all the white guilt?

what bizarre alternate reality did you come from? I hope trump builds a wall in front of the wormhole that allowed your retarded rear end to poo poo up our world

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

In considering the CDC and polling data in relation to this debate, in trying to find a root question of what statistic is meaningful here, I suggest one of risk management:

Risk: What is the damage of the availability of guns?
- number of deaths that could be prevented by reducing the availability, considering both intentional and accidental deaths
- costs of healing injuries that could be prevented by reducing the availability
- costs of trials, sentences, damage of crimes that would not have been committed with reduced firerarm availability

vs.

Reward: What is the benefit of the availability of guns?
- fulfillment of popular interpretation of 2nd amendment
- hobbies? IDK, the anti-regulation folks might be able to fill out this section better than I can

Risk: what is the damage of the availability of alcohol?
- drunk driving deaths
- fights erupting from drunken idiots
- date rape
- lives and families destroyed by alcoholism

vs

Reward: What is the benefit of the availability of alcohol?
- ummm people just like to get drunk I guess?
- retarded hipsters tweet about their favorite IPA

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Pot Of Shoe posted:

We should all just get big aggressive dog breeds instead. Every dog must be registered with the Eukanuba Assault Dog Registry and owners have to go through training to receive their lovable lil murder machine. Think about how much cuter the streets would be! And we already have police dogs so instead of a shoot out between the flatfoots and striped shirts, they just have a dog fight (like a pokemon battle, for all you nerds out there).

If your dog accidentally goes off in the face of your kid, it won't be instantly fatal! They might take a long enough time to bleed out that they have time to dictate their last words to a nearby bystander, or they might live and just be horribly physically/mentally scarred for life!

A dog still has a mind of its own though, guns cannot act independently (yet)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Wait I think Harrower wasn't serious. I can't even tell anymore.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Would you really want to see a gun like this banned?

Adopt a gun today.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lol Iran

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Gleaming bastion of human rights: Iran

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What do you think tezzor meant when he wrote this article?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

why would anyone want to ban gum? it's chewy and tastes good

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

high capacity chewing device

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I was scrolling down really fast and I thought those last two pics were one girl with her butt facing the wrong way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hello thread I got this thing today

• Locked thread