Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That was a livestream. And it was dramatic because the attack on the nightclub was a secret in the US, and they were treating it as Chandler was in Asia continuing to negotiate with the Chinese, not going commando with the senior leadership of the Nathan James captured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

life is killing me posted:

I like how Aussie SAS SEAL SPECIAL OPS DUDE is seemingly just doing his own thing and knows insane fight moves to keep up with the Asian dude he fights who of course knows martial arts because why wouldn't he, right guys? I also like how all the Navy people who spend most of their time on the ship seemingly can keep up with infantry tactics-wise.

The Aussie guy has been doing his insane fight moves the whole time he's been on the show since last season, it's great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I like how Aussie SAS SEAL SPECIAL OPS DUDE is seemingly just doing his own thing and knows insane fight moves to keep up with the Asian dude he fights who of course knows martial arts because why wouldn't he, right guys? I also like how all the Navy people who spend most of their time on the ship seemingly can keep up with infantry tactics-wise.

All that said it's a fun show. The battle and fight scenes are exciting, and the acting is decent, and they've got a solid foundation upon which to build the show in the book on which the show is based (although, having not read the entire book, I don't know if the show has surpassed the book's plotting a la GoT).

TNT is no HBO or anything when it comes to production quality, writing and acting, but they produce good shows. I'm keeping an eye on Animal Kingdom as well because I like Scott Speedman (so does TNT, apparently), unsure if there's a thread on that one where I can read Australian goons lamenting that yet another foreign TV series or show was remade and Americanized.

ne: I have never figured out if bearded blond dude is a Marine or a SEAL? Does anyone know/remember?

He's the last survivor of the SEAL Team Red Shirt.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

People keep calling the show 'Star Trek' (which was basically season 1) but the random OTT fight scenes where no one is hurt at all and are suspiciously martial-artsy remind me more of Buffy the Vampire slayer.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

All that said it's a fun show. The battle and fight scenes are exciting, and the acting is decent, and they've got a solid foundation upon which to build the show in the book on which the show is based (although, having not read the entire book, I don't know if the show has surpassed the book's plotting a la GoT).

The show shares nothing with the book except the title, the name of the ship, and the vaguest overall concept of "US Navy destroyer is at sea when the whole world goes pear-shaped." I'm not even sure why they optioned it, really, unless they just wanted to avoid the possibility of being sued.

Also, the book is godawful dreck; don't bother with it unless you're really into reading some nameless captain ramble about the superiority of Navy sailors above all other lesser beings through page after page of the most ridiculous run-on sentences and purple prose imaginable.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Good god, the guy playing Chandler is such an awful actor.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think he's perfectly appropriate for the role, can't imagine why one would think so strongly about him one way or the other

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How can you hate on Captain McSteamy? He's the working man's Bruce Greenwood.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

This is legitimately the best show on TV right now.

Also, I assume the hot doctor who made the cure isn't coming back. We're four episodes in and they've barely mentioned her.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Octy posted:

Also, I assume the hot doctor who made the cure isn't coming back. We're four episodes in and they've barely mentioned her.

Well the first mention of her was that she died.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Lol

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

dennyk posted:

the book is godawful dreck; don't bother with it unless you're really into reading some nameless captain ramble about the superiority of Navy sailors above all other lesser beings through page after page of the most ridiculous run-on sentences and purple prose imaginable.

Well that's disappointing but bullet dodged I guess.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Octy posted:

Yeah, they murdered down/off-screened/'sploded what I'm assuming to be a upper-mid level actor salary budget cut.

The radiation drama outside the nuclear power generation plant was hilarious. Unless containment was blown open like Chernobyl with rods and coriuim boiling on the ground, yeah, it's pretty drat unlikely casual exposure within the time period would have been fatal. I guess it worked for the writers.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TEAH SYAG posted:

Yeah, they murdered down/off-screened/'sploded what I'm assuming to be a upper-mid level actor salary budget cut.

The radiation drama outside the nuclear power generation plant was hilarious. Unless containment was blown open like Chernobyl with rods and coriuim boiling on the ground, yeah, it's pretty drat unlikely casual exposure within the time period would have been fatal. I guess it worked for the writers.

If the radiation was that bad, why park a helicopter there, that's my big question for the writers. Then after they get to the ship, no mention of the radiation that I remember, it's all good now!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

TEAH SYAG posted:

Dr. Scott was shot at the very end of last season. It wasn't clear if she died or not - now it is.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Exactly, in the first episode. But TV shows do fake-outs like this all the time, so it's not entirely unreasonable to think that she might come back.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Don't they normally do fake outs like that when they're not sure how contract negotiations are going to go? In this case I guess they went poorly.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Dr. Scott was shot at the very end of last season. It wasn't clear if she died or not - now it is.

This show is good, but not Rhona Mitra good. I'm told she wanted out.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This show is good, but not Rhona Mitra good. I'm told she wanted out.

Told by who? also, what projects does she have coming up?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Second hand from office staff on the production. By no means quotable in a paper but I'm in a position to know and that's what I heard.

No idea on the other one

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm amused by the fact that europe simply does not exist in this dumb great show :allears:

vvv oh my, I completely forgot it

Nektu fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 9, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Nektu posted:

I'm amused by the fact that europe simply does not exist in this dumb great show :allears:

Uh, it played a pretty big role last season. They pretty much state that those immune guys with the submarine did what they were trying to do to the US already in Europe.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I bet China will be in next season, if there is one.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

I bet China will be in next season, if there is one.

This season is about China

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

An episode of Michael Bay's Navy Explosions directed by Robocop himself? How could it not be great!

But seriously, this show is legit excellent now in its own way.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean Eric Dane is not gonna win any Emmys but the video speech to his children was pretty much one take and pretty drat excellent in my opinion.

Also I don't know if it's just a byproduct of the navy boat/sub drama but there is excellent as hell tension during the action sequences involving the destroyer and even in the down time the characters are maybe familiar enough to me after 3 years that I care about most of the crew.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Oh yeah loving that drawn out search scene with the foregone conclusion.

Needed more orbital pans.

Also Bridget Regan's Blue Steel gun shooting face.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sober posted:

I mean Eric Dane is not gonna win any Emmys but the video speech to his children was pretty much one take and pretty drat excellent in my opinion.

Also I don't know if it's just a byproduct of the navy boat/sub drama but there is excellent as hell tension during the action sequences involving the destroyer and even in the down time the characters are maybe familiar enough to me after 3 years that I care about most of the crew.

As a contrary to this I really hate the smug dork. I don't even remember that much about him in past seasons but he gets way too much screen time for some reason. They are trying to make him into so much of a badass it's like he is a writer for the show writing his own lines or something.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, him getting so much screen time is probably because he's the captain of the ship and was established as a leading character in the pilot episode.

Also, glad that ripped Australian guy survived.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ripped Aussie SEAL is my favorite part of the show honestly. Dude has a menacing resting bitch face and kicks rear end.

I looked him up on IMDB, and apparently he is an expert martial artist in real life. He was also featured on something called Fight Science (I think I've seen it, but I don't remember or know if it was a single special or a series).

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Octy posted:

Well, him getting so much screen time is probably because he's the captain of the ship and was established as a leading character in the pilot episode.

Also, glad that ripped Australian guy survived.

I meant Miller. The guy who now is apparently just behind the new captain of the James as a main character, for some reason.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ripped Aussie SEAL is my favorite part of the show honestly. Dude has a menacing resting bitch face and kicks rear end.

I looked him up on IMDB, and apparently he is an expert martial artist in real life. He was also featured on something called Fight Science (I think I've seen it, but I don't remember or know if it was a single special or a series).

Fight Science was a more legit version of Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior, it had combat sports veterans and martial artists demonstrating both practical techniques and attempts at "legendary" feats (e.g. the Shaolin Iron Shirt demonstration, Bruce Lee's one-inch punch, etc.) to see how well they performed under controlled conditions and scientific monitoring. If he was on it then he knows his poo poo.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Oh God. Deadliest Warrior was so bad.

I remember watching fight science. Good on Aussie SEAL. Dude rules, and it makes sense they'd get a real martial artist to play him. I guess they could have used a body double, which is what I had thought initially seeing him do all those crazy kicks with perfect form.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If you didn't live how transcendentally dumb deadliest warrior was I don't want to know you. SPETZNAZ HA!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

IRQ posted:

If you didn't live how transcendentally dumb deadliest warrior was I don't want to know you. SPETZNAZ HA!

Haha the Spetnaz episode was awesome!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I meant Miller. The guy who now is apparently just behind the new captain of the James as a main character, for some reason.

What? The red-head guy? I don't see him as a main character, maybe a supporting character. Are you thinking of Lt. Burk? That guy is awful and they've made him like the de facto XO or something and I never liked his character.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Haha the Spetnaz episode was awesome!

What? The red-head guy? I don't see him as a main character, maybe a supporting character. Are you thinking of Lt. Burk? That guy is awful and they've made him like the de facto XO or something and I never liked his character.

Granderson is the next in line, they made a big deal out of the scene where she was commanding the bridge in the absence of Slattery and XO Garnett when Burk's brother or best friend or something had seniority. I like Burk, I don't dislike him nearly as much as I dislike Miller. I never liked his character actually.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Miller is dopey and I think he's a good reminder that not everyone on the ship is a martial arts\spec ops badass. I can definitely see where you're coming from, though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The younger Burk is fine because he's been doing cool away team stuff for like 3 seasons now.

The older one is kinda just there. Like to fill in some gaps and show that other servicemen have come back after they cured America and all that. He only really existed in the premiere and kinda just floated away after Chandler comes back and sits him out. At least I'm glad he's not doing some weird stupid subplot where he's betraying everyone from within. He just takes it and goes back to his old job after complaining to it to his younger brother. You can see though a few times he and Granderson basically have to just get over it and help each other out because they're both in awkward positions.

Also yeah Miller is dopey but I'm kinda glad they have him cause you can tell he clearly isn't a supermodel actor but they give him a decent amount of material where he's competent at what he does. Even the new kid this season (Diaz?) looks like he got picked because of his casting photo or something.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Diaz is the guy who was leading that group of kids last season who ended up helping the crew. This season he joined up with the Navy for real and is on the ship, which is sort of cool. I do like how just about every background actor has stayed the same for all of the seasons. Even if I don't know their names I recognize them.

Which is how I knew diver-with-hair was doomed on the away mission. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Haha oh man I didn't even realize that was the kid.

• Locked thread