Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How is the smug reporter talking about the current location and mission of a highly sensitive naval operation and not going to jail for a million years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

How is the smug reporter talking about the current location and mission of a highly sensitive naval operation and not going to jail for a million years?

There's still freedom of the press and I assume a judge hadn't ordered him to reveal his source which any journalist would refuse.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

There's still freedom of the press and I assume a judge hadn't ordered him to reveal his source which any journalist would refuse.

Freedom of the press doesn't cover military operations in progress, where the enemy can clearly monitor the news. CNN didn't air the story "Seal Team Six one hour from Islamabad, they're going to Bin Laden's compound just outside the city."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I kept waiting for someone to say "this is a matter of operational security and people will die if we say anything right now" but the politicians just stared back dumbfounded at journalists who said "but freedom of the press"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, you know, fledgling post-plague government and all.

I think they are reaching with having that reporter as some kind of antagonist, the writing for that part is poo poo in my opinion. The reporter has no qualms about reporting on sensitive poo poo just because he seems to hate the president for really no reason. Bunch of Navy dudes captured and America's only missile destroyer is in the middle of a minefield looking for the island where the prisoners are held? gently caress yeah, I'ma report that poo poo, who cares who gets killed because the president objectively sucks and I have no reason to exist other than to be an unnecessary antagonistic character, as if there weren't enough already for gently caress's sake.

As to the president, I was kind of on the fence about him myself since the show has been portraying him as weak and inexperienced somewhat, then he gave those senators or governors or whatever they were, the what-for and told them to shut the gently caress up, mind their business and sit the gently caress down while he handles poo poo. He finally showed a little bit of spine in that scene. And while the show really has been portraying him as weak, I still think that dumb reporter has no real concrete reason to back up essentially trying to sabotage the new United States and its president by being a straight-up dick for no other reason than the fact that he can and why not?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What happened to scruffy mercenary guy, I want to say he was called Tex?

I think I remember him leaving at the end of last season to find his family or something. Did they just lose a lot of contract negotiations over the break or what?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

I think I remember him leaving at the end of last season to find his family or something. Did they just lose a lot of contract negotiations over the break or what?

I could be wrong, but since he was also in Suits, this may have been at the same time and he was focusing on one show. That said, he was a more central character in TLS than in Suits, so unless USA was paying him more to have a minor role, he must have been working on another project too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

Fight Science was a more legit version of Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior, it had combat sports veterans and martial artists demonstrating both practical techniques and attempts at "legendary" feats (e.g. the Shaolin Iron Shirt demonstration, Bruce Lee's one-inch punch, etc.) to see how well they performed under controlled conditions and scientific monitoring. If he was on it then he knows his poo poo.

he's got a black belt in Taekwondo, Hapkido and Hwarangdo. Also Taekwondo World Champion...

and he can do this...

https://www.facebook.com/2731814939...p_id=6628568379

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 16, 2016

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

life is killing me posted:

senators or governors or whatever they were...

The correct, if somewhat unpalatable term, is 'warlords'.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

jfood posted:

The correct, if somewhat unpalatable term, is 'warlords'.
Michner is the only actual elected official which is why he's still officially president of the whole thing but yeah, the others are basically warlords putting on fancy titles for an air of legitimacy to the people in their districts. Would be interesting to see where the show goes with the idea but I would have the assume we aren't gonna get some 3+ way civil war considering these people grew up in a time where the country was basically whole so they're probably actually working towards actually bringing everything back up to make the country somewhat whole again. Would be more interesting to see the domestic situation to be honest but I guess you can't send warships inland.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The current president wasn't elected, he was a cabinet member, which still technically puts in him the line of succession. He's basically a budget Laura Roslyn. I know he's referred to at least one of the representatives as senator, and another as governor, so they're not all random folks. He also mentioned a replacement congress being elected next month, I'm not sure how much power each of them has right now, but they've all agreed to be part of an interim government and don't expect the current power structure to be permanent.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

That's what they want you to think, until Texarkana finally achieves it's dreams of succession... and is promptly overrun by plague-proof Mexicans.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Tex, as his name of course definitely is, and Dr. Rachel Scott are now living happily ever after together at an idyllic ranch in Texas where they ride horses and pick wildflowers together. Also Tex's daughter is there

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Freedom of the press doesn't cover military operations in progress, where the enemy can clearly monitor the news. CNN didn't air the story "Seal Team Six one hour from Islamabad, they're going to Bin Laden's compound just outside the city."

I'm not saying. I don't believe you but do you know the law around this? Didn't Geraldo get in trouble years ago for drawing battle areas in the sand on live TV? Not that he should lhave or didn't get a beating from ok sure many people. It he wasn't arrested or charged.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I'm not saying. I don't believe you but do you know the law around this? Didn't Geraldo get in trouble years ago for drawing battle areas in the sand on live TV? Not that he should lhave or didn't get a beating from ok sure many people. It he wasn't arrested or charged.

I can't really parse most of that. No, I don't know the exact laws regarding confidential or secret information, but I don't feel like it's stretching to say that the details of a rescue attempt in progress would be considered confidential and he would be prevented from continuing to report on it. I don't understand how this is even an issue.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

All sources of that information are classified, so divulging it is divulging classified information. This is technically legal for the press, but the source will get the espionage act thrown at them (think Manning).

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

he's got a black belt in Taekwondo, Hapkido and Hwarangdo. Also Taekwondo World Champion...

and he can do this...

https://www.facebook.com/2731814939...p_id=6628568379

Plus he can do many more things judging by the latest episode.

Also, it's nice that they acknowledged the death of the two redshirts by showing their body bags. At the time nobody seemed all that concerned.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

drat, that machete fight cut between the other one was brutal as gently caress.

Also creative use of brute force is something that is something the show does well. Target your own helo to get an angle on the enemy. Brings new meaning to the phrase "danger close".

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

this show is pure goddamn cheese.

and i can't get enough

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Ratjaculation posted:

and i can't get enough

Yeah

"They are picking us off one by one, we have to figure out how because we only have so many rando people nobody has ever seen before on our strike team!"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Finally watched last week's episode. Stoked that random video-game badguys and ridiculous trick-shots with the main gun haven't gone away.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

and i can't get enough

Username/post excellence

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I liked the President. :(

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
:rip: President Duck Phillips.
Jesus, he literally killed himself Robin Williams style.
Also, Takehaya is the new Tex.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Takehaya for president

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MullardEL34 posted:

:rip: President Duck Phillips.
Jesus, he literally killed himself Robin Williams style.
Also, Takehaya is the new Tex.

Season 4 is just Takehaya and Tex going on adventures.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Oh man spoilers

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Of course it couldn't completely end well with the Japanese captain steering the ship out of his own minefield and his son being born.

I guess it'll be interesting to see where St. Louis goes now that Duck Phillips is dead.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

Season 4 is just Takehaya and Tex going on adventures.

Takehaya, Tex, and self-aware zombie Thorwald.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I can't really parse most of that. No, I don't know the exact laws regarding confidential or secret information, but I don't feel like it's stretching to say that the details of a rescue attempt in progress would be considered confidential and he would be prevented from continuing to report on it. I don't understand how this is even an issue.

Sorry drunk posting is bad. Essentially what I'm referring to is this: http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/31/sprj.irq.geraldo/ - Geraldo was on a live broadcast in Iraq where he started drawing out either battle plans, or a diagram of a battle in progress live on TV. So far as I know he wasn't charged or anything to that effect, but as the next poster said having the espionage act thrown at you.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Octy posted:

I liked the President. :(

He left office like every good democrat should.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
ughhhhhh i hate to say it but this awful show is getting better

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The show is neither good or bad, it is simply Miller.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sorry drunk posting is bad. Essentially what I'm referring to is this: http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/31/sprj.irq.geraldo/ - Geraldo was on a live broadcast in Iraq where he started drawing out either battle plans, or a diagram of a battle in progress live on TV. So far as I know he wasn't charged or anything to that effect, but as the next poster said having the espionage act thrown at you.

I'm not saying the dude should be tried and executed for treason, I'm saying he should be prevented from continuing to broadcast his dangerous, harmful poo poo. If Geraldo was like "gently caress you, I'ma keep drawing whatever I want, freedom of the press" :smuggo: he would not continue to get on the air.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
still don't remember any of their names but i'm getting sort of attached to fugly PTSD-steak-guy and poor man's blondish Eric Bana.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Miller and... no clue, gonna go with Wolfe. He looks like a dude who'd be named Wolfe.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Adam Baldwin must walk around that ship in a US Navy uniform, with a rock hard dick all day.

$10 say's it's his dream job.

Best news! Someone is making a return guys, this season... Texxxxxxxxxxxxx! :)

If i wasn't a grown rear end man, i might even squee.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 26, 2016

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Adam Baldwin must walk around that ship in a US Navy uniform, with a rock hard dick all day.

$10 say's it's his dream job.

This post just made me rock hard

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Why does Tex returning seem the most exciting event of the year to me?

Is there subliminal messages in this show?

• Locked thread