Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Levitate posted:

I'm actually like...80% serious but also just being salty for effect.

Sullivan was Torts' assistant coach pal for a long time and the influence on the defensive play of the Penguins is extremely evident. The collapse down low around the goalie to block a ton of shots is what Torts is known for and is the same style the Penguins played under Sullivan as well. The major differences being Pittsburgh has really talented players who could attack offensively effectively and Sullivan gave his defensemen more freedom to move the puck than Torts did.

I say all this because I'm finding blocked shots more and more aggravating and of course when the Rangers did it, it was all fine but now it sucks (but seriously it's really really crappy hockey to watch unless it's your team doing it and you don't care that the other team can't get anything on net).

But Pittsburgh had basically everything go right for them this year after firing their coach and got everyone on the same page and the GM made some good moves, so nice work

Jacques Martin ran Pittsburgh's defense. Also, Sullivan rolled four lines consistently, which is the complete opposite of Tortorella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

This just now crossed my mind to wonder but..... Mike Johnston is getting his name on the Cup for coaching the first 40% of the season, isn't he?

Very unlikely.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Considering he was on the ice and lifted with the cup you know he'll be petitioned. The NHL is pretty lenient about petitions for players. The half the season and/or one cup finals game requirement is so that the 8 or so players who play a dozen games on a sporadic call up during the year don't clutter up the cup. Dupuis is a guy who would've played the whole season if not for injury. There's no way he's left off.

Minor correction, the NHL is pretty lenient about petitions regarding injuries. If you weren't dressed because you were really lovely, they probably won't allow your name on the Cup (see Bickell, Brian). Dupuis and Daley will be on there with no issues, both guys would've been on the roster otherwise.

• Locked thread