Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Afal posted:

Bounty prizes should have been sent to the winners; although I'm not able to private message Scoss.

Huh, I was certainly not expecting to win any bounties!

You can try adding me on steam and sending it there if you like (http://steamcommunity.com/id/scosgar)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Scoss posted:

Huh, I was certainly not expecting to win any bounties!

You can try adding me on steam and sending it there if you like (http://steamcommunity.com/id/scosgar)

This reminds me: if anyone wants to add me on Steam just because (since all of you seem pretty great):

http://steamcommunity.com/id/robot_cousin

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

And with this post I've played every game that a poster posted was finished (except for the multiplayer ones which my 2-player had to push back another week :( and unless I missed a post or copied the link incorrectly which has happened before :shobon:). I wanted to thank everybody this jam, again, for making it a great time. Next I'll likely do the top picks if I missed any, and then try to get to the rest, time bearing.
Grampage UK Tour. Finally, a game with good Juice! Liked the framing and chuckled a few times, couldn't ask for much more out of a quick "gently caress it" one. Well, maybe some more art/background assets and some audio fixing? Also, a really interesting post mortem where I learned about the dangers of Twitter. "Brexit?" More like, "Break x (key)!" Christ I'm glad nobody heard me say that.

EntranceJew posted:

YWDH by Beeconomic Advisors

Weird arty maze game/toy? where you look at stuff and the color changes. This one didn't seem to hit for me, but I'm not sure I got everything. The first time I noticed the timer and the arrows, and spent the time trying to rush through it and got the ending. The second time, I tried to focus on focusing on objects that colored the world, but I still got the same ending. So it's either a 20 minute lesson in futility or the gamification makes me think I missed something? I did like the toy-like theme of most things and the sound design, but that camera needed work. I'd check out the post mortem but I think a two-and-a-half hour video without any direction is a bit much!

Long Live The Queen, only you're a grandpa and have less than no power. It seemed like a okay little VN, the comedy felt a bit scattershot to me but at least the range was impressive. I'm a bit unsure of the linearity, but I guess if somebody found that part fun they could replay it multiple times and break it down (I'm a bit mixed on it; I see it wanting to be more of a skills-based VN but it kind of felt like a Choose Your Own Adventure with like one right choice or something. Is it strategy if you have to know exactly what happens before it does?). It seemed pretty difficult to know what to focus on and I did kind of feel like I was winging it, on the other hand I seemed to be really keeping track of that stat/skills page. Like, I'm surprised I failed that much and still (barely) got the okay ending!

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

#JustGrandpaThings by 10 jams 50 jams a hundred jams

Grandpa-themed minigames. Wow, the graphics and presentation were top-notch here! That beginning:swoon: Loved the screen-shake and all the little touches that really made this feel like a full product. I wish the music could have been integrated like that too, but probably asking much. There were a couple mini-games that I wished were a bit more balanced (a couple of them like the tank one and the angels seemed to really like to lower score, whiskey might've used some rubberbanding or something, etc. It's weird getting 100%s on some and tanking the others), but I was thrilled when I started it up again and got some more games. Maybe some quick example at the beginning (the mouse was good, but occasionally I assumed it was a game that required immediate clicking or something and ended up erroring). You could beg how well it fits the theme (especially since lizard brain was floating around!), but I think two factors work in your favor: How charming grandpa motifs fit into the mini-games, and how they are simple enough for a grandpa to control and understand. Oh, added note: Just checked your jam entries from the past and really liked those, too, not that it matters for this jam (which is why I check afterwards!). Really nice compilation here! Here's my high score probably.

Tann posted:

Battle of Wits by Team Grandma

Definitely games for grandpa, including the historical inaccuracies and the slight technophobia. I can't believe I had trouble with the crossword (a sport in a hurry???). Nanograms is my game, so I wanted to mention that it could've used guide lines (ie, marking out the 5th line for easy reading) and it needed at least a tutorial on shifting (eg, 5 in 6 square = 1 blank on sides). I enjoyed it for what it was (I'm somewhat of a fan of those non-video games in video game form puzzle games), but I personally think it really either needed more content (or, better yet, a gameplay twist) or to be a much more complex simulator of those games (it seemed too static). But all in all I did enjoy the narrative, and it felt pretty cozy!

That one game with the excellent sprite work that came out on the NES but wasn't Ninja Gaiden but kind of was, starring Graninja? First of all: Whoops, looks like the music starts muted! But to counteract that, good idea with the different controller prompts! I enjoyed this one, fantastic spritework. A small amount of bugs (some input stuff or collisions being weird), and while I definitely give props to the DuckTales pogo-stick, I felt it wasn't used much at all and the levels design didn't seem to play to the game's other strengths. It's a good base, though (especially for one person doing the graphics and programming, sheesh), and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into something more, quick and visceral. And how couldn't you love a game with that final boss?

Takanago posted:

Chip-it-in Golf by Team A For Effort

Sweet, a golf game! I spent way too much time on this one, and I got to say it was one of the top implementations of a ball-physics game like that that I've played for a jam. Smooth music choice, some strong courses, and the option for copious, copious amount of mulligans, it's the type of game my grandpa would play. You did forget to include a scorecard at the end, though! And as long as I'm wishlisting (a bad habit for sure), I would've also liked a "lock" button for power (my mouse can be fidgety) and maybe some rough so that bunker-diving and flats weren't as attractive. I had fun, though, not much more to it. Nice job!

Shooter where you were promised a jetpack. Cute intro, high-energy track, and it's kind of fun bouncing around in a janky way. It didn't overstay it's welcome, but it needed a large amount of work in balance and content, and I particularly found myself confused when it would and when it wouldn't pick up a power-up. I hope you can leverage whatever project you were busy with into a jam game next time. I laughed, I cried, I shot lizardmen.

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

Souvenir by Team Steampunk Spoon

You've heard of walking simulators, well, this is a shuffling simulator. Really good job with the aesthetics, the visuals and sound design. Seriously, top-notch and I like that lo-fi look! Exploration was kind of a mixed bag, though, not very much content (and some odd invisible walls!) and, while it started strong in the apartment, I thought the narrative got weaker the further it went (part of that was there was too much lingering on vague adventure gameplay goals and not strong enough build-up to give weight to the resolution). I feel if the only problem is longer development, then you made a good jam submission! I also ran into a bug the first time, where I ended up going through a door and falling near the neighbor's.

Arachne posted:

V-fib by Hnnnggghhh

Simple rhythm game, try to match your pacemaker to the distracting television! Simple, but kinda cute. The television shows gave me a laugh (and good job on the voice acting being varied enough to help sell it), though it fell into that common problem with most rhythm games where I couldn't risk viewing them while keeping my eye on the part I had to. It's okay for auditory distraction, though, and I liked that the speed changed with the shows as static as it was. I do think it felt a tad disconnected, though, and I would've liked a better audio cue to match up (say, television music).

satsui no thankyou posted:

7 To Heaven by Disney's Gator Ride
I know there's no public build, but I did want to mention I went back and watched it on the Gong Show including chat. I liked the cane, and I did not like the [insert noun that was mentioned for why game wasn't completed].

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Grandpa Games by SEXY LOCAL TEAM IN YOUR AREA

I don't know if this was so much a game as a dice simulator where you lose most/all? of the time. I'm sorry, I hit so many bugs (I must've played dozens of times and hit so many unwinnable games and "freezes") and problems I think I'd better hold my tongue on this one! Too much randomness and pixel jumps for me, and it seemed oddly CPU dependent. I guess I technically beat it (I was the only contestant), but the game didn't seem to think so. I think my "record" was 17 rounds. Liked the gramps art, though.

Simple "lane" shooter where you have to juggle your ammo-type using multiple keys. Quick little arcade game, I liked what you were going for. In particular I thought the fake-out mechanic was pretty neat, though the difficulty needed a fair amount of tuning. Not bad for a first game, it'd be more then I could figure out in a month!

A pachinko-like physics game where Gramps tries really hard to placate a couple of monsters with stories. For such a simple game this one was surprisingly a good amount of fun! It also had charming graphics and good flow. As an example of this, the "Grampa, tell us about" screen wasn't just a static textbox but was kind of slightly unnerving and poppy, and, of course, screenshake when the ball would ricochet off stuff, and you could get into the game fast if you wanted to. While I thought the story subjects could've tied into the gameplay a bit better ("wind" wasn't a wind mechanic?), I enjoyed the little story, and thought the ending was pretty cute! Bonus points for the little options, too! Were you planning on making power-ups for the ball (which became Hard Mode)? I thought I'd end this with some thoughts about changes I might make to the game (which is useless but, whatever, kind of fun for me to think about regardless of my impressions): I did notice the score didn't seem to do much, as I 100% failed one and nothing seemed to change? I wasn't too into the mad-lib part (or, rather, I thought it almost always came across crass even though there were good and bad nouns/adjectives. Like "lollipop" just becomes innuendo if the rest of them are bad. And maybe that could've tied into the narrative a bit clearer, like you're trying to not upset and/or teach the kids swearwords?). I though the music was a bit too harsh but oddly catchy, and I also appreciated the music more after reading your post mortem about the improvisational aspect in the tracks. I also read about your level generation and :psyduck: Also I found this in a remote corner of my hard drive. Doesn't time just fly by?

^ still me irl

You get posted last here because you didn't make it in time for the rolls, but before the rest because you at least posted it :twisted: Holy heck, my brain hurts. If you like (peg) Solitaire or other logic games you'll like this (there's a small board full of patterns and you have to "trace" the given one without overlapping, new rules get introduced depending on level. It gets complicated, introducing concurrent boards that share movement and wildcard patterns, for instance). Really nice job on slowly introducing the pattern gimmicks, and there's a really good amount of content here, and fun all the way through! That said, I do have some issues on the non-gameplay side. Because it's so simple/minimal, I expect greater development to its other aspects, whether that's sound design, UI elements (a grandpa could play it... but with those buttons/key controls and loose feedback?), thematic elements, etc. Actually, I think the half-measures kind of hurt that part of it, but it's really only a problem if you're so focused on theme (I'm not so much). A simple but strong puzzle game that's unfortunately bound to be overlooked.

Corbeau posted:

I didn't finish, so there doesn't seem much point doing a write-up on the site, but if you want to know how my mapmaking works I've put up a substantial blog post.
I know you didn't finish, but thanks for the write-ups anyway. Oh, I found this somewhere and was reminded of your development.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Doom Goon posted:

A pachinko-like physics game where Gramps tries really hard to placate a couple of monsters with stories. For such a simple game this one was surprisingly a good amount of fun! It also had charming graphics and good flow. As an example of this, the "Grampa, tell us about" screen wasn't just a static textbox but was kind of slightly unnerving and poppy, and, of course, screenshake when the ball would ricochet off stuff, and you could get into the game fast if you wanted to. While I thought the story subjects could've tied into the gameplay a bit better ("wind" wasn't a wind mechanic?), I enjoyed the little story, and thought the ending was pretty cute! Bonus points for the little options, too! Were you planning on making power-ups for the ball (which became Hard Mode)? I thought I'd end this with some thoughts about changes I might make to the game (which is useless but, whatever, kind of fun for me to think about regardless of my impressions): I did notice the score didn't seem to do much, as I 100% failed one and nothing seemed to change? I wasn't too into the mad-lib part (or, rather, I thought it almost always came across crass even though there were good and bad nouns/adjectives. Like "lollipop" just becomes innuendo if the rest of them are bad. And maybe that could've tied into the narrative a bit clearer, like you're trying to not upset and/or teach the kids swearwords?). I though the music was a bit too harsh but oddly catchy, and I also appreciated the music more after reading your post mortem about the improvisational aspect in the tracks. I also read about your level generation and :psyduck:

Thanks for the write-up! The Hard Mode option was one of the things I decided to not write about for my post-mortem but basically when I started the game with the Peggle idea I wanted it to really mess with you and randomly spawn in those unpredictable shapes. When I switched it to Pachinko in style I thought it was still a funny idea but didn't think anyone would play the game enough to get used to the Pachinks™ and feel in control. So I made it its own option.

There is no failing, the red buckets denote the bad words, of course, but they still give a significant percentage of the points that the good buckets do. For example, a straight perfect drop into a good bucket gives 5,000 points and one into a bad bucket nets 2,000. The values are closer for non-perfect drops but I don't really remember what they are. The only negative I wanted the player to avoid was missing entirely, because a gramps saying stupid/inappropriate things is better than a gramps just failing to speak altogether.

Doom Goon posted:

Also I found this in a remote corner of my hard drive. Doesn't time just fly by?

^ still me irl
Even though it has nothing to do with this jam, it's a definite high point for me that you still have that. Shout out to all the Nelburns in the world.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Doom Goon posted:

Write up of every game

Wow, thanks for putting in the effort DG! And thanks for the kind words.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh yeah before this thread goes away, I went and fixed a few bugs for the public version of Gramp in the Shell, now that everything is over.

https://shoehead.itch.io/gramp-in-the-s

Still can't believe I never caught that music volume bug :sweatdrop:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah before this thread goes away, I went and fixed a few bugs for the public version of Gramp in the Shell, now that everything is over.

https://shoehead.itch.io/gramp-in-the-s

Still can't believe I never caught that music volume bug :sweatdrop:

It's funny how some bugs slip through, even with playtesting.

Jon mentioned SharpenedSpoon was still judging the Dear Diary award too, so I imagine the thread will tag along for a bit longer yet. I need to get my rear end in gear and start on another game soon before I start slipping too much and it's already the winter jam.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think what happened was I had it set to 0 by default while I had no music, and then because I'd saved my options.ini with it at full never noticed. And then everyone who playtested it also all did the exact same thing and it wasn't obvious until fresh players came along.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Been fun seeing That Pokeyman Thing get some plays on Kongregate and Newgrounds. I agree with the comments, though, it needs some achievements (and clicking punch the moon should obviously punch a moon before it loads your website)!

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Been fun seeing That Pokeyman Thing get some plays on Kongregate and Newgrounds. I agree with the comments, though, it needs some achievements (and clicking punch the moon should obviously punch a moon before it loads your website)!
I just threw in some Kongregate API integration yesterday after a friend pointed out that it had actually picked up some steam! And, uh... apparently achievements are something that the website's staff has to manually add to games? That is weird! But at least I have a high score table now.

I really wanted to use the Newgrounds API and work some badges in over there, but it seems like the HTML5/JS support is not quite there yet? Not sure it's worth figuring out.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
When is the next Awful Jam? Next year? Because I'd like to try and participate now that I have enough experience from completing my first game jam.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Awful Jams are, at this point, biannual - the next one, Little Awful Jam, is a two-week jam and will be hosted in early January of next year.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
There is also Octo-ber coming up which Awful Jams hosts. Which is designing games for the Chip-8 machines.

Last year's info can be found here: http://www.awfuljams.com/octojam-ii

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Hurrah! My Fangamer package arrived. Thanks for the most important krillin-based grandpa award.

I got a book and some badges! Arranged in order of how cool you are if you play that character.

Thanks again to the judges and Jonterp and everyone who participated! It was a fun time :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just got my part of the 'Best UE4 Game' prize, thanks Epic :toot:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mine is arriving Wednesday, looks awesome!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just emailed Epic this morning to check on the status. Everyone else on the team gets theirs on Wednesday. Funny because yours had the farthest to go.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just emailed Epic this morning to check on the status. Everyone else on the team gets theirs on Wednesday. Funny because yours had the farthest to go.

Must be because I work in the Gamedev Capital of :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My Fangamer shirt showed up last week (with stickers and buttons!). I got the Pink and Blue Necrodancer shirt. It's cool.

• Locked thread