Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope it's games for grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see how there's any other choice.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

This is Games for Grandma's year I can taste it

:allears:

Games for Grandma

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

games
for
grandma

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom is a grandma. All she does all day is play games on her tablet. She play slot machine games and click on the picture games.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

JonTerp posted:

• Games for Grandma
  • Games for Grandma
  • Games for Grandma

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Cojawfee posted:

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GAMES FOR GRANDMA

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Megabound posted:

Tom Francis did a video series on making your first game with no experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN6dZWXUEzA

This is awesome and I spent all last night and most of today following along. I'm now super excited to make my first game for grandma.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Expect more greatness from the mind behind award winning titles such as Truck Simul8or and Murder Death Chill.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Does anyone actually like Games for Grandma as a non-joke or are we just emptyquoting it because it's funny?

Because, seriously, gently caress that theme.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

blastron posted:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Team Adorable Animals would love to pair up with someone that has level design experience or art skills.

Buffis posted:

Expect more greatness from the mind behind award winning titles such as Truck Simul8or and Murder Death Chill.

Both solid submissions. We'll get you this year. :argh:

blastron posted:

Does anyone actually like Games for Grandma as a non-joke or are we just emptyquoting it because it's funny?

I'm actually cool with that or terrible tie-ins. I'm not sure what I'd do about the lizard brain theme.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

blastron posted:

Ban this sick filth

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I want the lizard thing to win.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Team Dogpit is back in the house, leaner and meaner than ever.

I unironically like Games for Grandma as a theme, gently caress haters.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've already got an idea percolating for GfG, but tie-ins feels like there could be gold in it.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

dupersaurus posted:

I've already got an idea percolating for GfG, but tie-ins feels like there could be gold in it.

I had an idea for GfG that I didn't get to use and was bummed about. I'm drawing a blank on both Lizard Brain and TTI.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

blastron posted:

You don't have to literally make a game for old people with that theme;
A game with a old woman as the protagonist,
A game themed around death or birth or both,
A game themed about a stereotypical retirement task, like gardening, gambling, whatever.

Or you could just make a game for old people. Lot of room.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

blastron posted:

This is how I feel as well, but Lizard Brain feels like one that's trying a bit too hard to be weird and so will result in games that are trying a bit too hard to be weird (as well as a lot of people just not knowing what to do with the theme at all and sort of hamfisting it as a result), and Terrible Tie-Ins throws me for a bit of a loop because like... am I allowed to use copyrighted characters? Yes, no? If not, what am I tying into, then? Parody games feel like they would be the most likely result for that particular theme, and uh... I dunno about that. GfG is not a theme I ever liked to begin with, but it's the one that I feel at least vaguely confident about having an idea for, while also being certain that other folks will have other, different ideas for it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Rob Filter posted:

A game themed about a stereotypical retirement task, like gardening, gambling, whatever.

It does say in the rules that its going to be more strict this year about sticking to the theme. If the theme is Games for Grandma, it does literally mean a game for a grandma. If it was Grandma Games the looser interpretation would make sense.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, the grandma theme seems to have the greatest potential for varied entries, whereas tie-ins could be quite limited (especially given the rules) and the lizard brain theme while hilarious might leave people scratching their heads for how to actually tackle it. Games for grandma instantly makes me think of a bunch of possibilities, but I just draw a blank when contemplating how I'd approach the other two themes.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

SUNKOS posted:

tie-ins could be quite limited

I disagree - think of all the movies and commercial products that exist that don't have game tie-ins. There's a huge range of a terrible ideas!

27 Dresses : The Video Game

Yankee Candle Pokemon

etc.

SUNKOS posted:

(especially given the rules)

How so?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is there a video game development general thread? Couldn't find one in Games (you'd think it would be stickied) and I can't imagine where else it might be.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Is there a video game development general thread? Couldn't find one in Games (you'd think it would be stickied) and I can't imagine where else it might be.

check the caverns of cobol, the subforum in the serious software hardware forum.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Alterian posted:

It does say in the rules that its going to be more strict this year about sticking to the theme. If the theme is Games for Grandma, it does literally mean a game for a grandma. If it was Grandma Games the looser interpretation would make sense.

quote:

Adherence to theme will be more strictly judged and have a larger impact on a game’s ability to win in any category.

Sounds more like adherence to theme will be handled like a percentage modifier. So even if you made the perfect game, not having any grandmas or grandma themes might net you zero in every category.
So Grandma Olympics are totally fine.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rob Filter posted:

check the caverns of cobol, the subforum in the serious software hardware forum.

Ahh that would do it

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Kind of tired of the whole grandma shtick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb9QE_QZb_g

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
It seems a little bit like maybe we need a quick/simple 'ok/not ok' example table of things since, with the rule changes & just having first time players in general, it might be hard to gauge if an idea they have is acceptable. 'Don't use stuff you don't have the copyright for' has a lot of interpretations, especially wrt tie in games, but this isn't a new rule and we've had eg life alert, batman, ET, etc linked/inspired games which were? all considered fine and within the spirit of of the jam. There obviously is going to have been a conversation held in a dark back room somewhere about the rules, and sometimes the exact spirit of a rule can get lost when it's compressed down into a couple of lines.

Like, people are saying here, they think theme adherence is going to be way stricter because of the new rule about it, but, what actually inspired this rule? There are probably some (rightfully unnamed) examples of games in previous jams that were felt to be a bit too far from the theme, but, without being privvy to the back room context, it's hard to say where that line is being implied to be, so people are worrying if their interpretation of the theme is acceptable.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Ahh that would do it

The Making Games Megathread is usually the most active gamedev hub, though.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Mastigophoran posted:

It seems a little bit like maybe we need a quick/simple 'ok/not ok' example table of things since, with the rule changes & just having first time players in general, it might be hard to gauge if an idea they have is acceptable. 'Don't use stuff you don't have the copyright for' has a lot of interpretations, especially wrt tie in games, but this isn't a new rule and we've had eg life alert, batman, ET, etc linked/inspired games which were? all considered fine and within the spirit of of the jam. There obviously is going to have been a conversation held in a dark back room somewhere about the rules, and sometimes the exact spirit of a rule can get lost when it's compressed down into a couple of lines.

Like, people are saying here, they think theme adherence is going to be way stricter because of the new rule about it, but, what actually inspired this rule? There are probably some (rightfully unnamed) examples of games in previous jams that were felt to be a bit too far from the theme, but, without being privvy to the back room context, it's hard to say where that line is being implied to be, so people are worrying if their interpretation of the theme is acceptable.

That rule is there to stop people from lifting assets from commercial games and using them, like using Mortal Kombat sprites, or a 3D model of Waluigi, or having 'Down With the Sickness' by Disturbed play on your main menu.

I'll clarify the rule on the site now.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I disagree - think of all the movies and commercial products that exist that don't have game tie-ins. There's a huge range of a terrible ideas!

27 Dresses : The Video Game

Yankee Candle Pokemon

etc.

How so?

I was going by the rule about no copyrighted material so my interpretation would be that movies and commercial products would be a no-go because of that, but JonTerp has since clarified that the rule specifically refers to taking assets from commercial games so it was evidently a misinterpretation on my end.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for the clarification; terrible tie-ins sounds a lot more fun now.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Rob Filter posted:

Oh, I know, I already gave the theme a lot of thought when it came up last year. It was by far my least favorite of last year's three, which is why I'm not pleased that it's come back as something other than a joke.

When it comes to game jam themes, I like themes that have strong influence on the design of a game. A good theme is one that you can convey with pure game-mechanical design: a game should still feel like it was built for the theme, even if you take away almost all of its graphics and sound. Bad themes, on the other hand, are ones where you can take literally any game and smear a wad of gimmick on top of it.

"Games For Grandma" is a bad theme. If it were restricted to literally "Games Targeted At Grandmas", then it would be okay. Then, you'd have to actually either design a game aimed at people who don't interact much with modern user interfaces or base a game around a stereotypical grandmother activity. Based on conversations over the past year, though, it's pretty obvious that the theme is going to be interpreted as just "Grandma", which means it can be applied literally to any game as long as you apply enough gray hair and wrinkles. It's Excite Bike, but with wheelchairs! It's Phoenix Wright, but about dementia, not lawyers! It's Mario, but you're bringing baked goods to your granddaughter! There's not even any constraint as to what kind of game you can make at all. No matter how tenuous the connection is, after all, you can just play it up for laughs!

"Our Lizard Brain Goes Into Overdrive", on the other hand, is entirely about mechanics, and is one of my favorite theme ideas to have come out of a game jam in recent years. Our lizard brain is in charge of instinct, danger, and most importantly adrenaline. Games are an excellent way to tap into that part of our brain, and a fundamental part of being a good game designer is being able to master the flow of tension within your game. This theme would test the raw game-making fundamentals of the participants. Does your designer have the chops to create mechanics that toy with a player's primal urges? Do your artist and sound engineer have the skill to set the right mood for those mechanics to sell them? I really want to see this theme get picked, because I know we have some really talented people in the SA game development community and I want to see what everyone can come up with.

"Terrible Tie-Ins" is okay. It's a fluffy theme, but it's not a zero-effort fluffy theme like "Games for Grandma". At the bare minimum, you need to consider what mechanics would be terrible tie-ins to what products, and you need to have an actually clever idea. Phoning in a terrible tie-in would actually look phoned-in.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
So what you're saying is that you want the theme to be "the game is intense"

Ok

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Hey guys, I wrote a TWINE game but blastron farted on it because it didn't tickle his adrenal glands :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The original context of "Our Lizard Brain Goes Into Overdrive" is a case of nerds, well... nerding.
So that's material to work with.

Divorced of this context but still somewhat related, it could be interpreted in the sense of human lizard brain fight or flight stuff.
So that's another approach.

And of course, there is the most direct reading, which is just screaming, agitated geckos.
Which practically writes itself.

It's an entire spectrum. I'm sure people are thinking of ways to expand it while remaining on-theme even as I type this.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

think of all the movies and commercial products that exist that don't have game tie-ins. There's a huge range of a terrible ideas!
Alternatively, think of all the suspiciously plausible but ultimately fictional movies and commercial products that don't exist.
Or products that are trying to or about to exist, but probably shouldn't.
A certain toxoplasmosis expediting device comes to mind.

Or perhaps tie-ins to prior SAGDC entries? Wait, does this mean everything in Enos' Zardoz Head Continuity are automatically tie-ins to each other?

Also, I've mentioned it in IRC but it bears repeating: The Fifth Element tie-in game uses the Ruby Rhod scream to start EVERY single level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Explosive Tampons posted:

Hey, is it possible to change usernames in the awfuljams site? I changed mine here and I want to change there too just so I don't lose my legacy (in the wall of shame).

Jo posted:

Also could someone change my name on the jam site from Jooo to Jo? There was a character minimum.
Ask me again in Slack, in the #support channel. I'll try to remember to do it, but no guarantees if I don't get pinged in slack :)

• Locked thread