Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I would love to be part of a team, but I am a rank amateur, and most of my game development experience is half-finished projects in GM8. I also have some experience with pixel art and graphical design, in an almost equally amateurish way.

On the bright side, I have no life, so I will be reachable on Skype almost literally all the time when I am not sleeping, and have a lot of ideas about things. Some of them might even be not-quite-terrible. (Seriously, PM me if you want to be on a team, I'd like a reliable partner or partners to make this happen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Mustard Snobbery posted:

What about grandpa's? Can we make games for them too?

No :colbert:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
In regard to the rules and the 3 participant limit, will you allow subs if someone wants to or has to drop out before the end of the competition?

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

Or perhaps tie-ins to prior SAGDC entries? Wait, does this mean everything in Enos' Zardoz Head Continuity are automatically tie-ins to each other?

Oh, believe me. If Tie Ins is the theme, I'm already preparing to make Sink II: The Professional Leagues.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Voting's almost over, btw.

Hey, what's up with the Community Choice? Did it get gamed last year or something? Too similar to the critic's choice?

Afal posted:

LUFTRAUSERS for MOST VLAMBEER-EST SCREENSHAKE. Think you have enough screenshake? Think again. More screenshake. MORE. NO. EVEN MORE THAN THAT. DON'T STOP. NEVER. STOP. SCREENSHAKING.
Awesome, nice to see this one reprised!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sighnoceros posted:

Going to be looking for people to do 2d art and sound/music. Still not sure what kind of game I'd make for each theme but going to be doing a lot of driving today so will hopefully get some brainstorming in.

I worked on Impulse and #YesCallMen in previous years, here's my site with those games and some others: http://www.ironpencil.com/

Right now I think my only real viable idea is Grandma Babysitting Simulator - your kids keep dropping grandkids off at your house and you have to try to keep them alive while they run around and get into trouble.

Hit me up about music, Sigh.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Stick100 posted:

In regard to the rules and the 3 participant limit, will you allow subs if someone wants to or has to drop out before the end of the competition?

No, but we'll be handling it on a case by case basis.

If you are dropping people from your team with a very good reason and have a replacement ready, you're welcome to contact us with an appeal in #Support on slack or by sending us an email.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 20, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

I was going by the rule about no copyrighted material so my interpretation would be that movies and commercial products would be a no-go because of that, but JonTerp has since clarified that the rule specifically refers to taking assets from commercial games so it was evidently a misinterpretation on my end.

why is this against the rules, its done a lot in industry

e: if i get cucked again on games for grandma this year i'm just going to do my gamesforgrandma idea and disregard the jam

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 20, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

zolthorg posted:

why is this against the rules, its done a lot in industry

e: if i get cucked again on games for grandma this year i'm just going to do my gamesforgrandma idea and disregard the jam

I can assure you that using unlicensed assets is not done a lot in industry.

My assumption is that the primary reason it's disallowed (with exceptions for parody) is because jamming IP you don't own or have an agreement with the license holder to use is illegal. While the ramifications on non-commercial projects are typically minor (take down notices, etc), it's easier to just not deal with it.

Also good luck with GfG because terrif[ying|ied] lizard howl is going to win. :saddowns:

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Ultigonio posted:

Hit me up about music, Sigh.

Totally down for getting the band back together. You up for SFX again this year too or just want to focus on music?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I'm hoping Lizard Brain wins so I have an excuse to make the most obnoxious loving Skinner Box game. Clickers, flashing lights, loud music, numbers going up, slot machines, the sky's the limit.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Voting ended with 200+ votes and it was a near 3 way tie.

So we're going to take that as "All 3 themes are amazing".

You'll find out which one we inflict on you July 1st.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sighnoceros posted:

Totally down for getting the band back together. You up for SFX again this year too or just want to focus on music?
If you can grab someone who'd be able to take care of SFX, that would be ideal, but I could totally handle that and music (as long as we have a list from the start, that really helped me pull it together).

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm quite excited for "Your Grandma's Lizard Brain Takes Over In A Terrible Tie-In Game"!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Grandma gets scared and by instinct, uses her swiffer wetjet to clean up the alien invasion.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
In which an aging Betty White trains a new generation of Golden Girls: Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, and Raphael

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oof. Was that voting link edited-in? Because I did not notice it previously.

Given that the intent of the jam is to make on-theme games within the course of a month, clearly Games for Grandma can't be the winning theme -- it's over a year old. But that leaves it a mystery as to what the winning theme will be.

Fingers-crossed it's something previously undiscussed. And not just because I've done no planning.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Oof. Was that voting link edited-in? Because I did not notice it previously.

Given that the intent of the jam is to make on-theme games within the course of a month, clearly Games for Grandma can't be the winning theme -- it's over a year old. But that leaves it a mystery as to what the winning theme will be.

Fingers-crossed it's something previously undiscussed. And not just because I've done no planning.

Planning? Planning and jams are like oil and water, I feel. Anybody can plan for a game all year round-- let us revel in the bloodletting that is flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants panicked 2am codemangling.

Jam or die, feed the wall.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Hello. I'm a hobbyist pixel person, and Shoehead told me a while ago I should give this thing a shot when it came around, and now it's come around.

If you're looking for a pixel artist of medium to medium-high quality most comfortable with character-type sprites and animations thereof, I might be the guy for you.

Go lizard grandmas.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Hello. I'm a hobbyist pixel person, and Shoehead told me a while ago I should give this thing a shot when it came around, and now it's come around.

If you're looking for a pixel artist of medium to medium-high quality most comfortable with character-type sprites and animations thereof, I might be the guy for you.

Go lizard grandmas.

I think I'm in love. PM me or hit me up in IRC, Shoehead can give you the deets.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I am looking for a 2d artist to fill out our team. I am a fan of pixel art, but none of the ideas we have for any of the themes are married to a specific art style.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Shindragon and I have been compiling a list of ideas and I think we're pretty solid on either lizard brains or grandma. Tie-ins therefore is the worst theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqoUYpqE0pw

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jo posted:

Shindragon and I have been compiling a list of ideas and I think we're pretty solid on either lizard brains or grandma. Tie-ins therefore is the worst theme.

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

I can't wait.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jo posted:

I already knew it was the best theme but good loving lord. :aaaaa:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I should probably announce that TEAM PUNCH FIGHT is full up, with me on code, Keket on art, and mockingquantum on sound engineering.

We are designing a game that fits all three themes, since there is apparently a tie. Prepare to be surprised by how immensely out of scope we are.

e: Whoops! Our artist bailed, so we need a new one!

blastron fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 21, 2016

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Jo posted:

Is that Tobal #2? I should have made more effort to unlock the bonus characters.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

:stwoon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think I'll only be getting involved this year if I can find a team. If I'm doing solo development, I've got other projects I'm thwacking my face into.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Jo posted:

You present compelling evidence prosecutor.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Anyone still looking for an artist? I can also help script in unity. I prefer 2D games but I'm not opposed to 3D.

Last year I worked on deliverer

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Chernabog posted:

Anyone still looking for an artist? I can also help script in unity. I prefer 2D games but I'm not opposed to 3D.

I'll need an artist, but I'm not sure I'll have time for a thing. If I do, I'm thinking of making a pseudo3d game.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Well, in that case I'll keep looking and if we both still need a team later then we can join.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
I think Cicadas! may be doing art for me, but I'm not opposed to having a second artist/coder around. The ideas I have for Grandma and Lizard Brain would require lots of little 2d things to interact with and animations so having a second artist would probably help loads.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Chernabog posted:

I am, actually. Let's talk.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Mixed feelings about the lizard brain theme - it's an interesting theme but very difficult to judge. I can imagine a situation where people who interpret the theme in abstract, interesting ways will end up with lower points in the "adherence to theme" category than games where you just play as a lizard, which would be super frustrating.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Polo-Rican posted:

Mixed feelings about the lizard brain theme - it's an interesting theme but very difficult to judge. I can imagine a situation where people who interpret the theme in abstract, interesting ways will end up with lower points in the "adherence to theme" category than games where you just play as a lizard, which would be super frustrating.

Why would you assume that? We made the themes, we've already discussed how best to judge adherence for each.

Did you think we actually intended people to just make games about lizards? (Should that theme be picked)

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

JonTerp posted:

Why would you assume that? We made the themes, we've already discussed how best to judge adherence for each.

Did you think we actually intended people to just make games about lizards? (Should that theme be picked)

Look man it says "lizard" right there in the name

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

a slingshot physics game about launching a lizard brain out of a lizard skull as far as possible

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
a racing game in which your vehicle is literally a giant lizard brain on wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
an operating game wherein you treat a chronic new disease turning people's brains into lizards with racing helmets.

• Locked thread