Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shadow puppet of a posted:

6 Teraflops.

The We Heard You console.

More to come in this OP as soon as I can light this pile of original Xboxes and XboxoneS'es on fire for heat.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/13/11890842/microsoft-xbox-project-scorpio-virtual-reality-e3-2016

For those with a mind to history, this is the original Microsoft business strategy of making a very early announcement of something in order to sow confusion and uncertainty in the market. This is how they attacked DR-DOS, GEM and anything that even smelled like a window manager back in the day. Good on you Satya.

Hololens is the same thing. They knew Hololens at $2,000 would never take off as a consumer product, but they made big noise about HOLOLENS! AUGMENTED REALITY! in order to steal thunder from PSVR and stall until they had time to announce that they're also doing VR ... eventually :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bass Bottles posted:

What animal is associated with the Aries sign?

But that's the wrong kind! :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Instant Sunrise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1dRgWpGePs

Microsoft cut the line about having the highest quality pixels from the official youtube video about the scorpion.

And yet they left in "the highest rez" line which makes even less sense.

Even if 4k is great, you can always go higher. There's no such thing as infinite resolution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

So if Project Scorpio really does have 6 Teraflops in its GPU, that means it'll have the same graphics processing as a GTX Titan X at best, but then again they'll have to compress it so it's actually less than 6 Teraflops, so we might as well be talking GTX 980 or 980 Ti graphics, while everyone's already on GTX 1070/1080, R9 480/490/Fury X2 graphics.

Actually, everyone will be rendering games with GTX 11 cards and R9 5xx cards, so Project Scorpio's graphics will only be two years behind!

:laffo:

... compress it? What?

These sure are words.

oohhboy posted:

1080 don't do 4K too well, so consoles are out of the question. You can't pay enough money to do better. So 4K Scorpio is some sort of lie.

Yeah its definitely going to run at like 20fps or upscale from 1440, there's no way around that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

792p upscaled to 4k is going to look insanely good

The highest rez

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

nioh had a choice between 60 fps or 1080p

Yep and I loved having the option.

To be fair though it was more like picking between 50fps or 920p.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

Maybe Microsoft will just rely on Vulkan API to get those high quality pixels.

What happened to the power of the cloud? :smithcloud:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Neo will be 399 no way its more. If its more they are super dumb.

Which will make a $799 scorpio a laughingstock

Its E3 2013 all over again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

What if Scorpio is the code name for a new iteration of Windows 10. Two years from now Microsoft might split Windows 10 into two separate OSes. Scorpio is designed for gaming like SteamOS. That way you can buy the gaming OS for a PC or little Microsoft console boxes (steamboxes) and technically you could have your teraflops on much more high end equipment that you already own.

It's not a great idea/prediction but neither has been anything else Microsoft has done lately.

Highly doubtful, although a cool idea.

Back in college I wanted a stripped down OS which would only load games apps and give them all the focus, turning your PC into more of a console and eeking out a little bit more power. I thought about forking Linux to do it but Linux doesn't support poo poo for games without WINE and supporting WINE means you couldn't strip out all that much. If MS wanted to they could do something like that with Windows but they won't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Steam Link exists if you desperately have to play your PC games on a TV.

No poo poo but that wasn't at all the point?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah but with no 4k content nobody cares.

Instead people are just enjoying 1080p screens that are cheaper. Its gonna be hard to get them to go back to thinking of TVs as expensive luxury goods.

Especially since you get diminishing returns with visual fidelity increasing resolution on and on. Like somebody said earlier, 1080p is good enough for most people. Which is why there's no content. Chicken and egg problem there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ethanol posted:

those people are prob not the target scorpio crowd tho

who is lol

• Locked thread