Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

i cant believe quality of pixels

So shiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The pixels will be in Rec.2020. :pcgaming:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

really surprised they straight-up said 4k gaming

that's... not actually possible, even if it costs $1000, right?

It's not possible with the way games look now, but some older 3D games and 2D games shouldn't have a problem at 4K60. There's a lot of nuance to the question so it's impossible to give a generalized yes/no answer.

A GeForce GTX 980 which is like a $600 card with 4 gigs of VRAM runs Witcher 3 at 4K with Medium graphics settings about the same as an Xbone currently runs the game at 900p.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

what was the language used on xb1 compatibility with scorpio games? i missed the show. it is as stringent as the Neo leak wording and house's statements have been?

They haven't gone into the same level of detail but their vision is you buy a game digitally and play it on whatever you want.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

Gonna be a 40% smaller failure

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

In fact sony has lost all its best exclusives. There was a long time when final fantasy and gta and metal gear solid were playstation exclusives, or do we have such short memories?

They were mostly exclusive games in a practical sense, simply because Playstation was the only console powerful enough at the time, not due to moneyhatting. That said, those series are still more Playstation-exclusive than not. Every Final Fantasy except for XV is Playstation-exclusive along with every other Japanese Square IP except for Kingdom Hearts 3. GTA games have always been on other platforms when hardware permitted, GTA was on Dreamcast, and 3/Vice/San Andreas got enhanced releases on Xbox One the first. And Kojima is back to Sony exclusivity now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm sorry.

Anyone have any decent Hank Scorpio memes yet?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

we don't want to force people to buy an xbox if they have a pc, we'll get their money there! *gamers hack and pirate all uwp games*

GFWL was so bad it cost devs sales, with the easy piracy (boosted Shadowrun firesale copies sold, though) and needing to re-engineer to remove GFWL, or even stop being sold entirely because no more keys.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Scorpio and Neo are going to be interesting because the price point rules are going to be completely different; having a higher price point like $599+ or whatever might "work" as far as they want it to since the "entry model" price point is lower.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

gschmidl posted:

HDMI Cables exist if you desperately have to play your PC games on a TV.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

4k isnt a gamble, its obviously a dead end as 1080p at high bit rate is good enough for pretty much everyone, same as the MP3 in comparison to the dozen standards that tried to get by on quality arguments. 4k is just curved screens and glasses 3d all over again. Its not a strong enough selling point to overcome the price point of lesser tech.

I don't know a single person who isn't 100% fine with 720p at an OK-I-guess bitrate and x264 encoding. Hell, Family Guy and a few other produced-in-HD shows don't even get Blu-ray releases, because DVD is fine. And now they're thinking people are going to pay like $30 again for single movies like they're time-warped from 1990, or Japanese, instead of torrenting/Netflixing.

Hell, Microsoft sells movies on XBL, I loving guarantee they won't have anything available in 4K for the BoneS launch.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

I don't think anyone except nerds cares about any of that poo poo you listed. I mean games could be cheaper, sure, I doubt no gamer would object to that, but it's like if you want the game, you have to pay for it.

Not to mention that which is cheaper between console and PC depends a lot on region and your gaming habits (e.g. if you trade in/resell/rent). Console gaming is undeniably significantly cheaper here in Canada in most cases right now, and in the U.S. there's GCU and Amazon Prime discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

there are a lot of 720p tvs that are branded only as HD and many consumers don't know the difference unless they read the fine print. jut go to bestbuy you will be amazed at the amount of 720 p tvs available

Most people notice the jump from 480p to 720p but very very few really appreciably notice an upgrade from there to 1080p. Like, you could probably re-edit a movie so that half the scenes are 1080p and the other are 720p upscaled to 1080p and almost no one would notice.

• Locked thread