Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-36516378

quote:

Adverts promoting negative body images will be banned across the Transport for London (TfL) network from next month.

As part of his mayoral election manifesto Sadiq Khan pledged to ban adverts promoting "unhealthy or unrealistic" body images.

Mr Khan said: "As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end."

Graeme Craig, TfL commercial development director, said: "Advertising on our network is unlike TV, online and print media.

"Our customers cannot simply switch off or turn a page if an advertisement offends or upsets them and we have a duty to ensure the copy we carry reflects that unique environment."

No thin people allowed thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
He likes them thicky thicky thick girls.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Fat Is Beautiful

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

just photoshop rotten white picket fences into the mouths on all the ads

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
muslim man banning provocative images of women in the public sphere? well I never

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I predict: a bunch of conservatives super angry about the fact that an organization decided to make choices about what ads they will run on their ad space.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

someone who is somehow a Muslim and and SJW posted:

Mr Khan said: "As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies. It is high time it came to an end."

Actually, it is being fat that makes fat girls ashamed of their bodies.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Waroduce posted:

Fat Is Beautiful

Nope. Just common.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sharzak posted:

muslim man banning provocative images of women in the public sphere? well I never

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Maoist Pussy posted:

Actually, it is being fat that makes fat girls ashamed of their bodies.

Nah I was skinny as a rail in HS and always felt like poo poo because the models were always just way better looking no matter what I tried.

Obviously I didn't realize how extensively everything is airbrushed and shopped at the time but I don't expect little girls to get that, either.

Just talk to some bulimics and ask why they started doing it.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Maybe people should teach their kids that it's what is on the inside that counts but I guess it's easier to ban anything that could cause someone to feel bad about something

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Roylicious posted:

Nah I was skinny as a rail in HS and always felt like poo poo because the models were always just way better looking no matter what I tried.

Obviously I didn't realize how extensively everything is airbrushed and shopped at the time but I don't expect little girls to get that, either.

Just talk to some bulimics and ask why they started doing it.

Little girls have always and will always feel bad, it is in their nature.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Also

Sharzak posted:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

abigserve posted:

Maybe people should teach their kids that it's what is on the inside that counts but I guess it's easier to ban anything that could cause someone to feel bad about something

Okay maybe but at the same time our society is absolutely inundated with advertising designed by professionals to influence your actions so...

Maoist Pussy posted:

Little girls have always and will always feel bad, it is in their nature.

Oh okay so when they feel bad because of corporate advertising we should just tell them 'suck it up, buttercup! :capitalism:'

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This will cut down on my public masturbation.

Cut down, not eliminate

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
thin shaming

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
And the one instance where professional advertising is trying to influence you to become a better person, that is the thing you want to ban. Disgusting, and backwards.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Yes all those women with eating disorders just failed to get the message of 'improve your image no matter what because thin people are better people' I guess.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Bad eating habits are no way to get swole, son.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35UUsMnwquo

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Crazy bitches should see a brain doctor.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I'M BIG BONED!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Roylicious posted:

Yes all those women with eating disorders just failed to get the message of 'improve your image no matter what because thin people are better people' I guess.

I dunno if you've seen the current numbers but obesity is a bigger (hehehe) problem than eating disorders atm.

Not that I necessarily think striving to look like digitally altered models is the best way to solve this but there's enough fat activism around that people seem to be pretty okay about stuffing their faces.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Does this mean Calvin Klein is gonna run an average chubby British dude in their ads or do roided up fitness models not count

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Let's be honest, gigantic fatlords are fairly "unrealistic" bodies so why not ban them.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno if you've seen the current numbers but obesity is a bigger (hehehe) problem than eating disorders atm.

Not that I necessarily think striving to look like digitally altered models is the best way to solve this but there's enough fat activism around that people seem to be pretty okay about stuffing their faces.

K well that's fine and good but there's nothing wrong with banning certain advertising in spaces where people are unable to escape from it. It isn't fat advocacy to say 'hey let's not have unrealistically attractive people being nonstop paraded in front of kids so their expectations become unrealistic and they get depressed and feel ugly and have self esteem issues for their whole life.'

It's not just about eating disorders.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Let's cater our society to better suit insane teenage girls

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

photoshop the edges of white frisbees after a pack of inner city pitbulls have had their way with it b/w the lips

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

The Kingfish posted:

Let's cater our society to better suit insane teenage girls

If that's really the only thing you can glean from what I'm saying then you're just a closed minded piece of poo poo who is probably over 35 and can't handle an honest internal look at their values and beliefs lest it shatter their shaky self-image to bits.

Just like most internet people still posting on forums, I guess.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I wonder how the real women that actually exist and have those "unrealistic" bodies feel

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
What if we have Self-Esteem Camps for teenage girls where they are exercised into peak physical condition and kept nude at all times so that they can see actual, realistic body images?

EDIT: nobody else can visit the camps where the under-18 girls are kept because that would not be right, let me just be clear on that part.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Roylicious posted:

K well that's fine and good but there's nothing wrong with banning certain advertising in spaces where people are unable to escape from it. It isn't fat advocacy to say 'hey let's not have unrealistically attractive people being nonstop paraded in front of kids so their expectations become unrealistic and they get depressed and feel ugly and have self esteem issues for their whole life.'

i dunno this sounds like a problem that could be readily solved by better parenting or maybe even a bit of discussion on the subject in your health classes, outright banning the display of certain images or ideas is something we should be really hesitant about doing imo.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

it's just an elaborate ruse to keep rob liefeld away from london

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm just shitposting. It should be illegal to photoshop models to sell things and advertising in general is AIDS for our minds.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Long callback to that beach body advert from a few years back. I remember the company owner getting on the PR Twitter and just ripping into the hambeasts that started the controversy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
most of the modeling agencies are likely using american or eastern European beauties. it is unrealistic for English women to attain these standards of beauty, even if they lost some weight

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I mean it's still gonna be in all their tv shows, movies, news feed, etc, i doubt bus adverts were the straw that broke the camel's back. it just seems like a stupid feelfood pandering thing instead of an actual step towards any solution.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

Right, sorry, it's about ~feelings~. Little Susie has a right to high self-esteem, so let's just tell her she's beautiful even if we don't mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

ArbitraryC posted:

i dunno this sounds like a problem that could be readily solved by better parenting or maybe even a bit of discussion on the subject in your health classes, outright banning the display of certain images or ideas is something we should be really hesitant about doing imo.

Well if your public policy relies on better parenting then you're firmly in fantasy lala land anyway :shrug:

I see nothing wrong with regulating what images/advertising can be displayed in areas where people are literally unable to escape from them due to the nature of being on public transport or whatever. It's the same logic as public nuisance/harassment; a company can't just set up a megaphone in front of your house and blast ads at you and claim free speech.

• Locked thread