Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://www.usopen.com/index.html

Hey, did you hear about how Johnny Miller shot 63 on Sunday to win the 1973 U.S. Open here? Thankfully, we won't have to this year. Instead, prepare to hear about these stupid church pew bunkers all week.

Air Times (ET)
Fox's inaugural coverage last year was so bad that they fired Greg Norman and relegated their Erin Andrews Lite Holly Sonders to menial desk duty for the Women's Open.

Joe Buck, unfortunately, is still around.

Thu/Fri: 10am-5pm Fox Sports 1, 5-8pm Fox
Sat/Sun: 11am-7:30pm Fox

Streaming of featured groups on USOpen.com and iOS/Android will be available 7:30am-7pm Thu/Fri and 11am-6:30pm Sat/Sun.

Marquee Tee Times (ET)
8:24am / 2:09pm Rory McIlroy, Danny Willett, Rickie Fowler
8:35am / 2:20pm Zach Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Jordan Spieth
1:36pm / 7:51am Hideki Matsuyama, Sergio Garcia, Dustin Johnson
2:09pm / 8:24am Phil Mickelson, Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson
2:20pm / 8:35am Jason Day, Louis Oosthuizen, Adam Scott

Odds
Jason Day 6/1
Rory McIlroy 7/1
Jordan Spieth 8/1
Dustin Johnson 15/1
Rickie Fowler 25/1
Justin Rose 25/1
Phil Mickelson 25/1
Adam Scott 30/1
Hideki Matsuyama 30/1
Henrik Stenson 30/1
Branden Grace 30/1
Bubba Watson 40/1
Danny Willett 40/1
Patrick Reed 40/1
Brooks Koepka 40/1
Sergio Garcia 40/1
Matt Kuchar 40/1

Masters Pool
Pick an available player who isn't Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, or Jordan Spieth. Best finisher gets a dozen balls or :20bux: from everyone else.

Josh Lyman: Dustin Johnson
Kameh: Sergio Garcia
Keyser S0ze: Emiliano Grillo
mattfl: Bubba Watson
EnsGDT: Justin Rose
daslog: Rickie Fowler
BCRock: Danny Willett
shyduck: Adam Scott

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It pains me to deviate from my tradition of Titleist staffer picks, but Adam Scott is a choker who can't putt so I'm going with DJ. (Yes, I realize the irony)

Kameh, I put you down for Sergio by default. :D

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 13, 2016

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
This course is so stupidly hard it's going to be amazing and I wish it was Thursday already

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

As poo poo as the Fox coverage was last year, at least they had a ton of pro tracer cameras for both tee shots and approaches. That was nice. And seeing a pro tracer of somebody in the rough taking a full swing and the ball only going 10 feet would be hilarious.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Shane Bacon was on the No Laying Up podcast this week and he said they plan to have ProTracer on almost every shot. I could always use more ProTracer in my life.

Also, my boy Patrick has never played Oakmont before so that 40/1 might be a little generous...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
in for $20 on Baby El Pato Emiliano Grillo 150-1

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gotta take my main man Bubba Watson. He's bound to win something eventually.

I read they want the greens at a 14 by the time play starts on Thursday. Basically if you don't put it in the cup it's going off the green.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I'll take Justin Rose please!

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/golf/article83393612.html

quote:

Justin Rose: One of the few players in the current field that played well in the U.S. Open at Oakmont in 2007 is Rose, who tied for 10th. The No. 10 player in the world is built for majors. He won the U.S. Open at Merion in 2013, tied for second in last year’s Masters, and has played well in 2016. The 35-year-old Englishman has five top-10s in 11 PGA Tour events, and there’s one potentially telling statistic in Rose’s favor: This season, he ranks No. 2 in greens in regulation from anywhere other than the fairway, hitting at 63.92 percent. Oakmont can get dicey if you’re not in the short grass. But if Rose misses a few fairways, he’s proven to be better than most at recovering.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 13, 2016

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

It pains me to deviate from my tradition of Titleist staffer picks, but Adam Scott is a choker who can't putt so I'm going with DJ. (Yes, I realize the irony)

Kameh, I put you down for Sergio by default. :D

Man, Sergio missed the cut here in 2007, and he wasn't playing poorly either. He finished 2nd in the Open a month later. I might change my pick.

Edit: NOPE, RIDE OR DIE HOMIE. SERGIO 4 LIFE.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Gotta take my main man Bubba Watson. He's bound to win something eventually.

This is the winner right here, folks. Guy's won 2 majors and finished the best among notable players (in our pool) in 2007.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
There were only 8 sub-par rounds all tournament long in 2007. 2 were from Angel Cabrera. The course is supposed to be even tougher.

It's going to be a bloodbath.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGkW7J7lSoz/

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm in. Rickie Fowler is going to do amazing things!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Put me down for Willett. Winning score's going to be over par and I can't wait.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

:aaaaa:

edit: The winning score in 2007 at Oakmont was +5 by Angel Cabrera!? Jesus, I really don't remember that at all. This course is going to destroy them isn't it?

mattfl fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 14, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I can't wait to see what the average score on #8 is this year. Par3 playing between 252 and 300 yards depending on the day and pin position :D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

I can't wait to see what the average score on #8 is this year. Par3 playing between 252 and 300 yards depending on the day and pin position :D
Hunter Mahan is gonna complain if he has to hit driver.

If you can't keep lengthening the courses, just grow the rough!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah course is only playing somewhere near 7200, there is a Par4 that is only 20 yards longer. There is also a 667y par5 too. So a lot of short risky holes and some long rear end "easy" holes. Was watching some of the Live @ the open last night and they did a little 5 minute segment showing interviews with players about the rough, it's pretty hilarious. If you remember, Phil messed his wrist up thanks to the rough in 2007 @ Oakmont. He didn't seem really happy that isn't now worse.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't even care about Joe Buck as long as Holly Sonders is gone. That's how bad she was.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Mahan ain't complaining about poo poo - he's not even in the field.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/gol...pertoire-061416

Pretty awesome trick shot by Bubba

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We can embed tweets you know ;)

https://twitter.com/bubbawatson/status/742837202376232960

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Outside of the Big ThreeTM, I really have no sense of who is going to play well.

Hell, Phil finished T2 last week so he could finally get the career slam.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Watching some of the practicing, there are front pins that look to be literally impossible to stop a ball anywhere near them, whether you hit a high lob wedge or a good bump and run. I'm all for the thick rough, but greens that are stimping at 15ish combined with tricky pin positions just doesn't seem like a good setup, same as at the Players this year. That being said, some of the pins seem to be in areas where shots can be played to them in a variety of ways and turn out good, which I like. I suppose we'll see how it goes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After Bubba played here in 2007, he gave his yardage book to Paula Creamer to use when the women's open was here in 2010, which she won (her only major).

Paula never returned the yardage book, so Bubba had to start from scratch this week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Twitter is blocked for me at work :(

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

An example of green speeds getting a bit too fast:

There are a couple pin locations at courses I play where that happens and it's such bullshit. If you're on the wrong tier or something, sure I can see not being able to get a putt to stop next to the pin. But when it almost stops 2 inches from the hole and then rolls 8 feet away, that's a poor pin location or a green that is too fast.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There's also a pretty significant wind blowing that direction.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

There's also a pretty significant wind blowing that direction.

This is the thing amateurs (including myself) will never fully understand. Very, very few of us will ever play greens so fast that you must take wind into account. I've played with people who will blame the wind for missing a putt, but the greens are far too slow (and the wind far too soft) for it to be the cause.

I've putted on a synthetic practice green at the Texas A&M course, and that's the only time I've ever seen the wind blow a ball around and off course. That thing was a like a barely-carpeted driveway.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

There are a couple pin locations at courses I play where that happens and it's such bullshit. If you're on the wrong tier or something, sure I can see not being able to get a putt to stop next to the pin. But when it almost stops 2 inches from the hole and then rolls 8 feet away, that's a poor pin location or a green that is too fast.

I agree with you. I believe pin locations and green speeds are definitely tied together. A bad location is only made worse by a very fast greens. That being said, I love the challenge of a fast green. I don't appreciate lipping a par putt out and having a longer bogey putt, though.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

On a more positive note:

https://twitter.com/protracer/status/742783991837777920

:getin:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Suprfli6 posted:

"git gud and hit the ball below the hole scrub. "

- someone who is happy with hitting any green in regulation.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

"git gud and hit the ball below the hole scrub. "

- someone who is happy with hitting any green in regulation.

I would like to see that shot again with him hitting it right at the flag and seeing where it ended up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm in for Adam Scott.

Oh and for those I've not gotten back to about the Masters yet, my bad and thank you. Since then I started a brand new job and outside of hockey shitposting from my phone I've had little chance or energy to reply. I didn't wanna miss this though so I can pay it forward.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah good luck fellas:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGo3Psdx5BY/

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
If any of you are into some light gambling on golf, this is a pool that I got into through a friend a few years ago and it's grown to be pretty big.

http://fantasygolfmajors.com/

It's active for every major and it's a :10bux: entry fee (paypal). I think 1st place won $1500 for the Masters this year. You pick one golfer from each group of 5 from the top OWGR rankings, and then 5 picks from the rest of the field. Total scores get added, lowest wins, etc. Tie breaker is your pick for winning score. Pretty simple.

I have no vested interest in this, other than adding your money to my winnings of course, and I can vouch for it not being a scam or anything. :getin:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Last call for the pool. Here are the current picks. I'm going to lose my poo poo if shyduck wins again, this time with my normal Adam Scott pick.

Josh Lyman: Dustin Johnson
Kameh: Sergio Garcia
Keyser S0ze: Emiliano Grillo
mattfl: Bubba Watson
EnsGDT: Justin Rose
daslog: Rickie Fowler
BCRock: Danny Willett
shyduck: Adam Scott

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yeah there's gonna be some sore wrists the next few days. It'll be interesting to see how many irons off the tee the bigger hitters use, and who decides to play aggressive instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah there's gonna be some sore wrists the next few days. It'll be interesting to see how many irons off the tee the bigger hitters use, and who decides to play aggressive instead.

Everyone, everyone is using 2 irons off the tee this year it seems lol

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2016/06/15/us-open-oakmont-2-iron.html

• Locked thread