Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahnkiman
Jan 15, 2003

AHA MY CREATOR TOLD ME YOU MIGHT COME HERE ONE DAY TO DO STUFF. I MUST TERMINATE YOU
Problem description: Provide a DETAILED description of your problem here.

I just put together a new system with the intent of overclocking it (see specs). The system was either restarting, blue screening, or hard locking after running ROG RealBench. Same results with Prime95.

This is the guide I followed for OC: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18690668

I then reverted the BIOS back to stock settings and I still have the same problem. Then I updated the BIOS but no dice. At all stock settings, CPU temps max out at around 50 C.

Attempted fixes:

Upgraded the BIOS to the most recent version

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
This is a new system

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can check this in Windows Vista/7 by going to Control Panel, System, and looking at the "System Type" line.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number. If a laptop, post the FULL model number, which is usually on a sticker on the underside of the machine. Please also include the basic specs such as processor and how much memory you have. If home-built, list your processor, motherboard, graphics card, memory, power supply, hard drive(s), etc. If any other hardware or equipment is relevant to your problem, list it here. If you have a networking issue, post the brand/model/revision of your modem and router from the underside of the boxes. Don't just post the output of a program that claims to show your computer specs, like Speccy, as they are frequently wrong and don't provide enough information (though this is better than nothing if you truly have no idea).

Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 80+ GOLD, 650W
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
HyperX Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM

USA

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

Yes

Mahnkiman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahnkiman
Jan 15, 2003

AHA MY CREATOR TOLD ME YOU MIGHT COME HERE ONE DAY TO DO STUFF. I MUST TERMINATE YOU
Someone mentioned it might be this, I'm looking into it: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's most likely going to be either a RAM or motherboard issue. Since Gigabyte boards are known for their problems and that's a lower-end model, my money is on the board. Do try testing the memory modules individually first though.

Mahnkiman
Jan 15, 2003

Alereon posted:

It's most likely going to be either a RAM or motherboard issue. Since Gigabyte boards are known for their problems and that's a lower-end model, my money is on the board. Do try testing the memory modules individually first though.

Memtest checked out for both sticks.

I'll try running a game or two and see if I have any stability problems. When I tried the test in the Skylake bug article, Prime95 crashed after a few minutes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try using onboard video temporarily to see if it acts differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahnkiman
Jan 15, 2003

I've been wrestling with this for a while and can't get the system stable. I ran Intel's CPU diagnostic tool too, and that checked out fine.

I'm RMA'ing the board and spending a little more for an Asus.

• Locked thread