Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Real screens from the upcoming Zelda release:

AHHH! SO TASTY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do people even care about this stuff?

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

Nintendo did it themselves

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

What do you mean "you guys"? The timeline was originally from a Zelda encyclopedia edited by Eiji Aonuma, so whether you like that stuff or not, it's from an official source.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zaphod42 posted:

AHHH! SO TASTY!

I just love how excited he looks about his sauteed mushrooms.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

To be fair, Nintendo does have an official timeline. It was fanwank for a while but it's canon now. I mean, the beginning of Wind Waker basically confirms it takes place in the same universe/timeline as Ocarina of Time, so it's not too much of a stretch, y'know?

I'm aware, I'm a big enough nerd I've read all about the split timelines and which game goes into which.

But it was really something that was kinda forced on Nintendo. Miyamoto never cared about having a cohesive timeline and it wasn't until fans came up with their own timeline and kept pestering him with questions about it that they finally came out and released an "official timeline", and its massively contrived because the games clearly weren't designed with it as a strict rule in mind.

Its better to forget that even exists. Just because Ocarina of time involved time travel you don't have to go creating all these split universes, sheesh.

thexerox123 posted:

What do you mean "you guys"? The timeline was originally from a Zelda encyclopedia edited by Eiji Aonuma, so whether you like that stuff or not, it's from an official source.

Regy Rusty posted:

Nintendo did it themselves

I know, see above. But Nintendo clearly doesn't obsess about the timeline, they don't care. They just put it out there because nerds kept pestering them about it. Miyamoto has never given a poo poo about the timeline.

And by "you guys" I mean the goons I replied to, duh :colbert: People need to just let it go and not obsess about it so much. Nintendo may have released it but they just put it out there because people begged for it, they don't care like some fans do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's the official timeline for anyone curious, published in 2011:

My only real issue with it is that Skyward Sword taking place before Minish Cap is dumb and undermines Minish Cap's cute little "here's why all Links wear green floppy hats" origin story.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do people even care about this stuff?

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

I'm the guy that had a "no timeline discussion" rule in these threads for years, so you're preaching to the choir. But then Nintendo went and released an official timeline. I'm actually much more interested in the idea of this game as a modern remake of the original and was just approaching it from a certain angle. But sure, continue to be an rear end and assume that I can't "handle" the series without my precious timeline.

Or maybe you can contribute to the thread without insulting people.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It is worth noting that A Link to the Past was named as such because it was a prequel to Zelda 1, so it isn't like this is a modern thing. Really the big problem for the timeline is that at some point Nintendo stopped mentioning it leading nerds to start fighting about it with the new games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm aware, I'm a big enough nerd I've read all about the split timelines and which game goes into which.

But it was really something that was kinda forced on Nintendo. Miyamoto never cared about having a cohesive timeline and it wasn't until fans came up with their own timeline and kept pestering him with questions about it that they finally came out and released an "official timeline", and its massively contrived because the games clearly weren't designed with it as a strict rule in mind.

Its better to forget that even exists. Just because Ocarina of time involved time travel you don't have to go creating all these split universes, sheesh.

I think it's fine that it exists--things sometimes show up as callbacks to other games in the same "timeline," especially in Wind Waker--but it's also important that it has never really mattered to the games themselves. It's not like you can't understand Wind Waker's story without playing Ocarina of Time, it's just a cool little detail. I dunno, maybe I haven't cared about Zelda recently enough to have gotten annoyed with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Although I will say its pretty funny that the fanwank theories went and came up with two split timelines and fit all the games into them (and there was a great gametrailers retrospective breaking it down) and then Nintendo went and one-upped them with a three-pronged timeline.

MokBa posted:

I'm the guy that had a "no timeline discussion" rule in these threads for years, so you're preaching to the choir. But then Nintendo went and released an official timeline. I'm actually much more interested in the idea of this game as a modern remake of the original and was just approaching it from a certain angle. But sure, continue to be an rear end and assume that I can't "handle" the series without my precious timeline.

Or maybe you can contribute to the thread without insulting people.

Uh, is this not Something Awful? :cheeky:

Sorry if I upset you. really, not just like, bullshitting. But I don't think I said anything too inflammatory (The worst thing I said was "you can't handle that?" comeon)

If I really am preaching to the choir then you understand my reservations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
My hilariously supported fan theory that totally means a lot you guys is that we're just after the great flood, the world has drained, the ocean floor has gone a bit wild, and now we've got to get things sort of repopulated.

Also I'm disappointed we haven't seen The Hat yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the only thing dumber than caring about the zelda timeline is getting mad about people caring about the zelda timeline

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like Zelda timeline discussion. It's fun! Other people don't, so I try not to bring it up that often. Kind of like how I wish people would do that with poo poo like the logistics of dual-wielding in the GoT threads. Anyway, how much of this game are they showing off at E3? We've already got main plot spoilers? Jeez.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Black Mage Knight posted:

It is worth noting that A Link to the Past was named as such because it was a prequel to Zelda 1, so it isn't like this is a modern thing. Really the big problem for the timeline is that at some point Nintendo stopped mentioning it leading nerds to start fighting about it with the new games.

All of the games have tied together in some way. LttP was the prequel to Zelda 1 + 2, and OoT was the prequel to that. Obviously MM was the direct sequel to OoT. WW featured a lot of callbacks to OoT and was implicitly a sequel set way down the line.

I only played TP once wasn't the Hero's Shade supposed to be one of the Links?

Anyway yeah the games have been interconnected for a long time now.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Every time they duck into a shrine just reminds me that, yes this is still a Zelda game at its core and that they are just right now focusing on all of the stuff that is new to the franchise. Really though, this game is so far looking like what I wanted after I played Skyrim. An open world RPG with an interesting world to explore, tons of little things to do, and proper Zelda style dungeons and puzzles.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All of the games have tied together in some way. LttP was the prequel to Zelda 1 + 2, and OoT was the prequel to that. Obviously MM was the direct sequel to OoT. WW featured a lot of callbacks to OoT and was implicitly a sequel set way down the line.

Yeah, the Hero's Shade is outright supposed to be OoT/MM Link. He became the best swordsman in the land after all his adventures but never ended up teaching his skills to anyone, and as a result the regret he died with ended up making him become the Hero's Shade.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 14, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The timeline is cool, I'm glad I bought teh hyrule hystioria

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The Hero's Shade is the OoT Link, I'm pretty sure, after growing up and dying of old age.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm liking the return to the open world format after all the stale attempts to remake Ocarina of Time. Getting a Darksiders II kinda vibe here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spear-fishing, bow-fishing, and bomb-fishing confirmed.

No fishing pole though, it looks like.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So far it looks like the blade beam for this game is just throwing your sword.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

I've never been too interested in the timeline, but the part right before Wind Waker, "Hyrule Is Sealed and Then Flooded", would make a killer ending to a game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh well, hi random boss.

E: With Shadow of the Colossus climbing mechanics.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Sorry Zaphod42, I didn't mean to pile on. Wrote that post before I saw the other responses. But back in the beginning of the Zelda threads, I used to post terrible fan art/cosplay whenever the thread devolved into timeline discussion. Because it really was pointless before the official one was released. But now that it has been, it can be important to the plots of the games. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, for example, both have plots affected by the events of Ocarina, but those two games exist in two separate timelines. It's an extremely minor aspect of the series, but the games still lean into it now and then. Skyward Sword's status as a prequel to the rest of the series is an integral part of its plot. You forge the Master Sword as part of the game.

There are a lot of things in this game that are pulled directly from the original LoZ. They talk about it a lot in interviews. Hell, the beginning of the game is even pulled directly from old concept art:

I'm just in love with the idea of BotW as Nintendo "remaking" the original game with modern technology. Even the barebones details we know of the plot and world echo the original game. The timelines just provide an easy excuse for them to do it without altering "canon".

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Minor OP nitpick: Link to the Past was the first game in the series to have a constant "helper" character to give you area-specific advice. It was Sahasrahla. It's just that accessing his advice was always something the player had to choose to do.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 14, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't believe I've been watching this Zelda stream all day. It's making me want to get back to my Zelda replay too that I put down due to being burnt out.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
One of the really striking things about the game to me is that they are only showing off a pretty small part of the game. Like, the map has shown that for as big as the plateau feels it is actually pretty tiny compared to the rest of Hyrule. What I am now wondering about is all the stuff we aren't seeing like the dungeons and NPC interaction and what the shops are like.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

have they shown any dungeon stuff and if so how does it look. I only just tuned in and open world stuff is cool but not a huge draw personally

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cake Attack posted:

have they shown any dungeon stuff and if so how does it look. I only just tuned in and open world stuff is cool but not a huge draw personally

No, they've only shown shrines which are little mini dungeons where you get infinite use items.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Link's awful skinny for a guy that spends his days eating meat and climbing mountains.

This does remind me that I need to finish a LOT of Zelda games.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
they showed two shrines and shrines are mini dungeons with like one puzzle and then you're done

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

No, they've only shown shrines which are little mini dungeons where you get infinite use items.

wait are items not normally infinite use

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

You have a limit on your arrows, and your bow/sword etc break. The bombs, magnet, etc are infinite use but have to recharge.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Can I scan my Bayonetta amiibo in and play as her?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
right ok, i didn't realize that you had infinite arrows / bow in shrines

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

How about just wearing a Bayonetta costume?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

Not what I meant I don't think? I was just saying the "runes" we've seen appear to be utility items that are infinite use, unlike everything else which is all survival game-y.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Suspicious Dish posted:

You get Runes from the shrines, and those are pretty much Zelda dungeon items but they have cooldowns. Equipment like Bows, Shields and Weapons have durability and can be found on anything that uses them or just in different places in the world. Oh, also arrows, which are ammo based, can be picked up from an enemies missed shots.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

You don't. The infinite use was the wrong thing for that guy to focus on

The shrines are where you get what would usually be dungeon items, things used to solve puzzles or possibly help out in combat in unusual ways

As opposed to actual weapons like bows and swords etc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't/am not watching any live streams, it's late in this part of the world and I guess you folks will link to recordings tomorrow?

But looking at the trailer, and hearing how it's about open world survivalist and gathering food and cooking and stuff, I just hope it isn't too minecraft-y. I hope for cool dungeon designs and a good plot. It's easy to not have a plot at all except for an opening and an ending with such an open game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know who stole the franchise or how they did it but this is obviously not a Zelda game because Link is left handed. :colbert: