Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is there an alt left too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is there an alt left too
It's still communism which isn't all that "alt" after 150 years.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not certain, but i think the alt right is basically people that were in the middle of the political spectrum but got kinda pulled to the right because the left became super left.

Like Democrats in 2004 and 2008 were about gay rights, freedom of choice, and getting out of Iraq. Which a lot of people in the middle agreed with. But now the left is about free college, free healthcare, trans bathrooms, safe spaces, etc which are newer-ish ideas that folks in the middle never cared about, or they think these concepts go against their interests.

So by default they are now right leaning because they're against those new ideas, but not against black people in the white house or think that fags are demons or whatever. So they are alt right because the other republicans are old bigots that are out of touch.

idk, that is what is seems like to me

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Alt right thinks that "cuck" is a sick own

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Snatch Duster posted:

I'm not certain, but i think the alt right is basically people that were in the middle of the political spectrum but got kinda pulled to the right because the left became super left.

Like Democrats in 2004 and 2008 were about gay rights, freedom of choice, and getting out of Iraq. Which a lot of people in the middle agreed with. But now the left is about free college, free healthcare, trans bathrooms, safe spaces, etc which are newer-ish ideas that folks in the middle never cared about, or they think these concepts go against their interests.

So by default they are now right leaning because they're against those new ideas, but not against black people in the white house or think that fags are demons or whatever. So they are alt right because the other republicans are old bigots that are out of touch.

It's a halfway decent inference. Which, unfortunately, doesn't make it any less absolutely incorrect.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Snatch Duster posted:

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at any beta bitch who's in "the middle"

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Imagine hating gay people, but not because God said so.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

ramzpaul is alt right. milo yiannopolous is alt right. /pol/ used to be alt right but now they're too cool for it.

Nah, /pol/ is still very alt right. I got banned from there for posting the pic i posted earlier and saying they were just as annoying, bitchmade, and like censoring anyone who doesn't agree with them as the sjws they claim to hate. Like I was banned within a minute so it was pretty lol.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tricky D posted:

Imagine hating gay people, but not because God said so.

pretty sure alt right doesn't hate gay people, one of their biggest proponents are super gay and they love him

MiracleWhale posted:

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at any beta bitch who's in "the middle"

Aren't the majority of Americans in the middle? Makes sense i guess, since there has to be more betas than alphas lol

Nathilus posted:

It's a halfway decent inference. Which, unfortunately, doesn't make it any less absolutely incorrect.

Enlighten me then fam

and i'm pretty sure Milo, Crowder, and Ben Shapiro do not want to dismantle the government.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 14, 2016

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Linux Pirate posted:

Nah, /pol/ is still very alt right. I got banned from there for posting the pic i posted earlier and saying they were just as annoying, bitchmade, and like censoring anyone who doesn't agree with them as the sjws they claim to hate. Like I was banned within a minute so it was pretty lol.

That's what you get for violating their safe space.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Snatch Duster posted:

Enlighten me then fam

The main difference between right and alt right is that the alt-right is anti-government whereas the right is pro-government. That's a bit general and there are tons of ways alt-right people will try to weasel out of it, but it's the gist.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Snatch Duster posted:

pretty sure alt right doesn't hate gay people, one of their biggest proponents are super gay and they love him

You were supposed to imagine it

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

right
r i g h t
g i r h t
g i r t h
girth

alt-girth

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

The main difference between right and alt right is that the alt-right is anti-government whereas the right is pro-government. That's a bit general and there are tons of ways alt-right people will try to weasel out of it, but it's the gist.

where you getting that from?

the duders i mentioned in my post aren't tea party nut bags wanting to get rid of the government and they claim to be alt right.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

poo poo. I missed a part. In terms of milo crowder et al, you gotta consider that there are various facets to any political movement. The actual politicians in it are all about deregulating and/or privatizing business. That's where they make their money.

That doesn't mean that deregulating business is the biggest deal in the platform to the base. Rather, they are more interested in the government butting out of their lives regardless of the sphere involved. Politicians then harness this ardor and use it to make money by using the powers of their office in the old horse trading game. Of course they themselves and their pet talking heads aren't antigovernment. That's their livelihood. That's the excuse they have for their base. Which generally speaking eats it up.

Ugh. Gbs seriouspost. Piiiissssssssss.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Saying the alt-right is only anti-government is still a generalization. I would say that, especially at this point in time, the alt-right is most readily identified by their opposition to established GOP candidates and by their emphasis on nationalism, which itself can vary (and sometimes veer right into white nationalism). Some are indeed tea partiers that all want states rights, but others are probably more in-line with neo-cons that place less emphasis on interventionist policies. The support which has coalesced around Donald Trump is not just made up of anti-gov types. It's kind of like painting newer parts of the left entirely as college kids that want to ban "upsetting" language/ideas from their campuses and, in some cases, from public discourse altogether.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The greatest victory of the alt-right is convincing people that identity politics are somehow leftist.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Basically if the right is vaporwave the alt-right is simpsonwave.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Tricky D posted:

The greatest victory of the alt-right is convincing people that identity politics are somehow leftist.

That's true, but I'm not sure that's just the alt-right's doing. Either way it is impressive, though, that no-one seems to notice certain talking points on the right are definitely identity politics. (and that some people even think only leftists trade in identity politics today)

(And I think a Trump victory would be their greatest victory)

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

they should be called c.uckle-fucks instead of alt right.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Funnier memes

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

the alt right thinks that the right is too mainstream, borderline liberal

the alt right believes in zero compromise

8 years of zero governance is better than letting a single thing the liberals want pass, no matter how trivial

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
The alt-right says human being loudly, the right whispers it after looking to see who else is in the room.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i know precisely one alt right person irl, and he is literally the most pathetic individual imaginable. i picture everyone in the alt right like that, whereas the normal right is just like soccer moms and old fat dads

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There are a lot of subtle policy-driven answers that could be given but the traditional right do what they think is best for their families and the alt right have never had sex

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Where's that loving movie, hollywood? :argh:

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/

it's a good summary, op

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
alt-right are just libertarians who are bored and want to try the harder stuff.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Alt-right is like the right, but with anime.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

quote:

Steve Sailer, meanwhile, helped spark the “human biodiversity” movement, a group of bloggers and researchers who strode eagerly into the minefield of scientific race differences — in a much less measured tone than former New York Times science editor Nicholas Wade.
The alt-right. Making Racial Science Cool Again!

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Dick Jones posted:

"See, Old Ben here, he had a penchant for making political cartoons which were easy to turn into memes to impress my fellow travelers."

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Dick Jones posted:

loving hell. Alsol 'lol' at movement - a bunch of weird racists blogging on the internet.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Jellidelic posted:

the alt right allows you to ride an intellectual high horse above both your young liberal peers and your old conservative family

This one.
It's a (v. loose) counter-culture movement in response to the fact that liberalism is now the dominant cultural force.

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit

ignatius is clearly a neoreactionary, which is similar to being alt-right yet not really the same thing

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

It's another one of those buzz words used to tidy people you disagree with into a single box, a way to focus the hate under one umbrella term. It's easier to call someone alt-right then to recognize the nuances of peoples beliefs. Fascists, libertarians, nationalists, nazis, objectivists, accelerationists, jingos, supremacists, any non christian rightists, amoralists, w/e all become the same thing.

Just another synonym for "enemy".

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Isn't alt-right just a PC way of saying neonazies/ white supremacist gangs?

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't alt-right just a PC way of saying neonazies/ white supremacist gangs?

means anything you want it to mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Feminists are to Men's Right's Activists

as

Leftist Millenials are to the Alt-Right.

Or young Libertarians with a chip on their shoulder.

• Locked thread