Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Watching that first video in the OP, I think the woods might be thick enough to block vehicle movement in a bunch of places. I'm not sure the Germans actually can bring their tanks south without using the road.

If anyone does have the game and this map, it would be a good idea to check and see if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Sandman posted:

Watching that first video in the OP, I think the woods might be thick enough to block vehicle movement in a bunch of places. I'm not sure the Germans actually can bring their tanks south without using the road.

If anyone does have the game and this map, it would be a good idea to check and see if that's the case.

I have the demo and those trees definitely look thick enough to block vehicle movement. That's why we're planning on dropping smoke on the bottleneck and bringing the Easy Eights east to have an angle to fire on them.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

goatface posted:

What's the speed difference between footsloggers in the open and in forest?

There definitely is one, but it's manageable. Our guys in the Red thunder game did just fine walking and running through the forest. It might make your troops more tire a little bit more quickly. You can use open ground to transit if it's safe, but don't be afraid to use the forests as well.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Apocron posted:

1st Platoon Planning
HQ: Apocron
1st Squad: David Corbett
2nd Squad: Decrepus
3rd: Squad: Decoy Badger

Mostly re-iterating what has gone before. Looking for volunteers to fulfill these positions.

A: Rides on a tank to occupy Farrel Forest and observe the East Skywalker Highway.
B: Moves behind the treeline until near position to save on energy before entering Celchu woods and observing exhaust port crossing
C: Moves behind the treeline but does not enter the forest or woods until we know where the majority of german forces are committed. Reserves the right to enter Farlander Heights if there is a major Eastern push by the germans.
Blue HQ: Ride with A but disembark and enter Celchu woods to get observers in position on skywalker crossing and preparing the way for squad 2.

Feedback?

Ok so we should have:

A: Decrepus
We need to co-ordinate with one of the tanks and organise where he's gonna drop us off. Hopefully it's fast enough so that you get there and only have to move normally into position. You will be our most forward unit and probably our freshest and deadliest for combat. If you don't know haven't yet you should organise your squad into teams and think about your placement in the forest as I won't be giving you more specific instructions.

B: Decoy Badger
You should try and quick move into position for the first three minutes. Work out your pathing so you don't enter the trees until the last minute since it seems they do create a slight penalty for movement. After the three minutes quick make sure you don't quick move again for at least 3 minutes unless it's an emergency. Generally you want to keep your quick moving 1:1. Also once in position split up into teams and place your troops as you see fit.

C: David Corbett
You're our Ace in the Hole. Both of the other squads are setting up to receive the German advance but you're gonna be there squad we send into attack whichever position seems most vulnerable. You need to choose how to balance your movement. Moving normally the whole way along the back of the trees will preserve the most energy and potentially leave you with the most fight left in you. You could also do 1 minute each quick-normal-quick or normal-quick-normal. If you really want to rush into position you can just move quick the whole way but you're gonna need to move normally after that. You shouldn't need to split into teams yet.

Does anyone have a guide for splitting up into teams?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

We'll get into splitting up after the first turn, because it's a complex mechanic, but dtkozl posted a good summary before.

dtkozl posted:

One more thing. Squads can split into three elements which will have the bar in one team, the squad leader in the other, and about 4 rifles/2nd bar in the last, break off a 2 man scout element (will have some binocs and rifles, generate a four man assault element that will have as many auto weapons as possible, or break off a 2 man anti-tank element with whatever rifle grenades and/or bazookas the squad has. Use this sparingly because I don't want to chase 2 man teams everywhere for the full 45 minutes.

dtkozl posted:

Platoon HQ Apocron with 60mm mortar:

1/2 Squad Decrepus

You mentioned wanting more info about your platoon, so make sure you check the info panel for each unit properly.
From left across the bottom row you have:
  • Units above you in the chain of command.
  • Unit has close up visual contact with it's HQ unit.
  • The HQ has a little antenna symbol indicating that it is in radio contact with company HQ ( And therefore can request off-board fire support). Our squads have no radios, but if they are close enough for shouted orders to reach them from the platoon HQ, it will say voice instead. I don't think the last box is in use this game.
  • Underneath those, the little triangle indicates how suppressed the unit is, the more it lights up, the less likely the unit is to obey orders. The red button lights up if the unit is going to rout.
  • How much ammo you have for each weapon.
  • The Equipment your unit has. The platoon HQ has a radio and binoculars. The pictured squad has Binocs, a Bazooka, 8 Bazooka rounds, and some rifle grenades.
  • Each weapon in the next field represents a soldier. IIRC, If one of them gets lightly wounded it will turn yellow, if they are severely hurt they show a first aid cross. If they die they disappear entirely. Note the squad is arranged into columns, this gives some indication of how they will split up once we get to that. The Platoon HQ gets an indicator of the health of each squad in the platoon instead.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So how are we organizing the tanks? Technically we have platoons but I assume that means jack squat since it's a small map, we all have radios, and there aren't that many of us.

Do we have pretty much free rein to fit into the general Battalion plan?

IllegalUsername, if you want to take the middle area then I'll scout east for the Easy 8 team. (As for those orders, I'd be cautious using Hunt - just about any enemy tank can kill us with one shot. If the endpoint of your movement offers more concealment than a spot in the middle, just move regularly and don't stop. Hunt may give you better spotting, but there is a risk.)

I have just one question about heading eastward. We have to knock over the little fence near the road. Does it make much difference which tank knocks it down? If it's more of a risk for me then I'll wait behind one of the bigger guys, but if not, I'm going balls out to Farrel's.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 17, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The tanks are listed as C Company while the infantry is A Company, so I'm assuming we're our own mostly independent units answering directly to the Battalion HQ (Davin Valkri). I'll get ready to draw up my orders when I get home tonight.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Kangra posted:

Do we have pretty much free rein to fit into the general Battalion plan?

Let me say this explicitly: yes. You have carte blanche to act as you see fit within the general plan.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Y'all are having a Combat Mission game without me? For shame.

I'll be an Allied reservist this time around.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Need to give the bad guys a sporting chance, me lad ;)

Any final questions re: Infantry company orders? I'm away for the next two days, I'll be back right around the deadline for orders. Be bold, any orders are better than none, and don't forget to put a link to your orders in Davin's spreadsheet doc.

Edit: aand I'm out.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 17, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Apocron posted:

Ok so we should have:

A: Decrepus
We need to co-ordinate with one of the tanks and organise where he's gonna drop us off. Hopefully it's fast enough so that you get there and only have to move normally into position. You will be our most forward unit and probably our freshest and deadliest for combat. If you don't know haven't yet you should organise your squad into teams and think about your placement in the forest as I won't be giving you more specific instructions.

B: Decoy Badger
You should try and quick move into position for the first three minutes. Work out your pathing so you don't enter the trees until the last minute since it seems they do create a slight penalty for movement. After the three minutes quick make sure you don't quick move again for at least 3 minutes unless it's an emergency. Generally you want to keep your quick moving 1:1. Also once in position split up into teams and place your troops as you see fit.

C: David Corbett
You're our Ace in the Hole. Both of the other squads are setting up to receive the German advance but you're gonna be there squad we send into attack whichever position seems most vulnerable. You need to choose how to balance your movement. Moving normally the whole way along the back of the trees will preserve the most energy and potentially leave you with the most fight left in you. You could also do 1 minute each quick-normal-quick or normal-quick-normal. If you really want to rush into position you can just move quick the whole way but you're gonna need to move normally after that. You shouldn't need to split into teams yet.

Does anyone have a guide for splitting up into teams?

Roger, LT.

An alternating strategy seems the most prudent - there's not much point in the reserves showing up before the main force!

ORDERS
Allied Company, 1st Platoon, 1st Squad:

Movement
Squad is to move towards an eventual destination at Z-23 by way of grid reference Q-28 (if we are starting to the west of said grid reference, which we appear to be). The squad is to move NORMALLY until the first set of woods around Q-28 have been cleared and then move QUICK-NORMAL-QUICK at one minute intervals until they have arrived at their final destination.

(I have a terrible feeling about the area around columns N through S, row 26 (it looks like a breathtakingly obvious spot to drop artillery, if the Nazis have any), so I'd prefer to send my men through the woods a bit south at normal speed (say, on row 28) before heading out through the open field to the final destination.)

Disposition upon Arrival
Upon arrival, face northeast to cover the open field.

edit: oh god i've never done this before everyone is going to die everyone is going to die :gonk:

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 20, 2016

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I just picked up the game and loaded up an infantry platoon in our map with Heavy Snow/Deep Snow to do a test.

Starting a squad at the NW part of our deployment zone (J28), I set a quick move command all the way to the building in N19. It took a bit over a turn to get to the forest line running through K23, and my squad was fully in the house at N19 by the end of turn 3 (i.e. three minutes in). Their fatigue state was still at the default (normal). The squad had the default fitness level, which is Fit.

We can move infantry a few hundred meters at a time at a quick pace no problem, even with the snow. Based on our plan it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 minutes to get our infantry to our initial planned locations, as long as they aren't interrupted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Allow one squad of troops to ride on the tank if they want to (I'll let whichever squad decides on it to post it in their own orders post). MOVE from the starting location to grid square N19. Position the Jumbo behind Building 2 for cover, FACE the turret toward North Farm. The tank should not be exposed to fire from the advancing Germans from its position.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 20, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Battalion CO Orders for Direct Command

Command team to request smoke barrage at grid V12 with delay such that it lands at H-Hour + 7'00". Command team's initial deployment will be such that it can see grid V12. The M20 (and more importantly its ready-to-fire M2HB) will remain in reserve until the German side develops.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Will wait for any infantry that wants to ride then move Quick to E18 to unload the infantry.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 21, 2016

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
As a suggestion for everybody - post maps with your orders. I makes it a lot easier for the people running things.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I'm going to need an excel sheet with these orders posts linked to them people.

Also some info I gave to the axis that you should also know:

quote:

Iron

No barraging their deployment (come on dude)

Wind itself is random every time a scenario made. There is wind, I have no way of telling but I would hazard medium to strong.

Off map call in time is a surprise just like real life. I would guess around 7-8 minutes though.

Oh and your tanks can go everywhere but the corners.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

3rd Platoon Command

Alright, let's make this poo poo simple. We're going to move at a steady pace up to Arvel's Grove and take up positions as close as we can to the buildings. From there we'll move in an around the buildings before assaulting across the field so that we can get on the main objective.

And as for my actual unit orders, I'm going to Move to M, 23.

And the orders sheet is here for you dtkozl https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HkfWJWZXezW3ampP9h1jzA8dM08Y5lw9zTfuD9rPQQ0/edit#gid=0

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are you being spearpoint, or do you want another unit out in front of you? Because as the most lightly armed, I would guess that would be me.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Snow is light; so long as you're not ramming the truck into the forest don't worry about it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
IT BEGINS!

3rd Platoon, 3rd Squad

I'm sending my boys and their shooters to Move to M, 24 lets start this foxtrot.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 17, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

MohawkSatan posted:

3rd Platoon Command

Alright, let's make this poo poo simple. We're going to move at a steady pace up to Arvel's Grove and take up positions as close as we can to the buildings. From there we'll move in an around the buildings before assaulting across the field so that we can get on the main objective.

And as for my actual unit orders, I'm going to Move to M, 23.

And the orders sheet is here for you dtkozl https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HkfWJWZXezW3ampP9h1jzA8dM08Y5lw9zTfuD9rPQQ0/edit#gid=0

Thanks buddy!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Wind update: Heavy from SW

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

goatface posted:

Are you being spearpoint, or do you want another unit out in front of you? Because as the most lightly armed, I would guess that would be me.

When we start the moving into risky areas, I'll be having you and SeanBeansShako taking the front, with my command squad and our bazooka wielding squad providing cover. I'm not to worried about that until we move on the objective though.

Until then, it's at your own discretion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

3rd Platoon, 2nd Squad

We shall swing slightly wider than our squad lead and Move to J, 22

Assuming we can saunter that far without having to jog. Don't want to be sweaty in the snow and then have to lie down for ages. You get hypothermia that way.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Hey, wait a second...

Shermans can fit fifteen riders, platoons are 3 squads of 12 plus a 3 man HQ. (Plus their mortar, which seems to be a four man team.) The Stuarts can't fit any riders. We're short a ride for a whole squad for 1st platoon, aren't we? Have I missed somewhere along the lines where this has been resolved? :v:

One can huff it, of course, but.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

dtkozl posted:

Oh and your tanks can go everywhere but the corners.

:confused:

dtkozl posted:

Your tanks...

:munch:

dtkozl posted:

can go :siren:everywhere:siren: but the corners.

:aaaaa:

Does this change our vehicle plan at all? There's not a chance they're going to send all their vehicles or even most of their vehicles down their bottleneck road now. I bet only their wheeled vehicles go down that road.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Bacarruda, good to have you. Unfortunately I doubt these Krauts will be putting up much of a fight, so I doubt you’ll get to see any action :v:

Well boys, looks like we’re gonna be heading right up the middle. To that end:

-DSM and myself will deploy onto the Jumbo, while pthighs will be hitching a ride on the Zippo. Yorkshire Tea, looks like you’ll have to walk.

-Once the tanks reach Antillies Fork, we’ll be disembarking and moving rapidly to secure forward positions. DSM, I want you to detach a scout team to take observation positions on the north end of Arvel’s Trees-if the Germans have anyone coming out of the Wes Janson Forest, I want to see them coming.

-I’ll be taking positions on the second floor of the farmhouse. After all, someone has to spruce up the place for Battalion Command :v:

-The mortar team will be deploying in the forest behind the fork at L23.

MAP:

If anything’s unclear, just let me know.

Cathode Raymond posted:

:confused:

:munch:

:aaaaa:

Does this change our vehicle plan at all? There's not a chance they're going to send all their vehicles or even most of their vehicles down their bottleneck road now. I bet only their wheeled vehicles go down that road.

It's definitely something to consider, especially with regard to the viability of the smoke mission and the positioning of the Easy Eights.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 17, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The smoke mission is kind of hosed over the the wind as usual, anyway.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Orders: 2nd Sherman

I'll come up with some banner with some anime cropped picture or something later.

Orders are as follows;

Deploy barren and unloved by infantry.

Open Up, Quick move on indicated path. I trust you to not run me through any trees not really visible on that map! Hunt upon reaching the turn and nestle me part way into the treeline. Please don't park me in front of a tree.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 20, 2016

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
With the clarification of the fact that tanks are able to move through the forests, I'd submit a revised suggestion for deployment:

Yellow line is the E8s, red line is the Anti-Tank guns, green line is the Stuarts. This way we place our anti-tank and recon assets in concealment, while also having more eyes and lines of fire to potential German movements through the treeline. If you want to get really crazy, we could swap the deployment of the Stuarts and the Easy Eights, and if the Germans don't deploy on the left we could send the Stuarts on a flanking maneuver to hit their rear.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
:siren: From the 1st floor of farmhouse in N21 you can't see anything at all to the N - NE - E. The wall there is taller than a man. :siren:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Then there we shall barrack only our tallest men! Maybe with some crates to stand on.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Uh, crud. That...changes things.

I'm just about to head out so I can't go onto roll20 and make a new plan. Someone check to see how the left flank (the A through H columns) looks from the Easy Eights' intended location. If they can still see that area, there's not too much of a problem.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Righty. Is there a way to order the trot/walk alternation command? Because if so:

2/3 Orders Quick to J20

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 19, 2016

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Righty. Is there a way to order the trot/walk alternation command? Because if so, 2/3 Orders Quick to J20

You can go quick several hundred meters at a time without getting tired. (The map is 800 meters on a side)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Acebuckeye13 posted:

With the clarification of the fact that tanks are able to move through the forests, I'd submit a revised suggestion for deployment:

Yellow line is the E8s, red line is the Anti-Tank guns, green line is the Stuarts. This way we place our anti-tank and recon assets in concealment, while also having more eyes and lines of fire to potential German movements through the treeline. If you want to get really crazy, we could swap the deployment of the Stuarts and the Easy Eights, and if the Germans don't deploy on the left we could send the Stuarts on a flanking maneuver to hit their rear.

This is my thinking for the AT guns as well. For now, consider these my orders.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gnoman posted:

This is my thinking for the AT guns as well. For now, consider these my orders.

Yeah, I approve of this for the AT guns. Don't forget to link them to the spreadsheet!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think this is a solid plan.

Should we be more aggressive with the recon though? Like, send one of the Stuarts up the middle road? I know it's dangerous but it'll get a good view of things and might be able to help in an anti-infantry roll mid/late game.

And where should the Jumbo/Crocodile go? Take tank riders up the middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I disagree with that plan, personally - I think the current one still suits us fine, actually. The Stuarts don't need to be together and should be doing their recon task anyway, while the AT-guns and set up just past the trees and cover the western side while the Sherman propers cover the east. Going through the woods is slow, cumbersome and you can't see poo poo - and once you get spotted you're spotted, so the element of surprise is rather brief.

The revised plan offers no protection whatsoever from tanks on the western approach and stacks tank-busting assets on the other side, even though there's the central objective and its tree line in the way.

• Locked thread