Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edited my orders post to add a grid map showing how I want my tank to be pathed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Sorry, Acebuckeye, but to move the game along and keep at least one M5A1s from getting popped too early and putting that player out, I'm making an executive decision. I'm speaking with my Battalion CO voice.

The Phase 1 deployment plan has been modified per the advice of Cathode Raymond and AceBuckeye. It is now as follows:

The Stuarts and Easy Eights have swapped flank responsibilities.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 20, 2016

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
You can't cut back forces on the left flank! You'll regret this! :argh:

Seriously though, I understand why you're doing it (And we don't have much more time to discuss in any case), but I've personally come to the conclusion that leaving the left side empty is really going to hurt us down the road. Hell, if anything we should send the Easy Eights there as I suggested earlier-but, ultimately, it's your call.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
We don't need the AT guns AND easy 8s AND central tanks all looking east. The AT guns (and 3rd company) can handle the left flank just fine, boss.

The recon is also set to sit out in the middle of an empty field, which seems

regrettable

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is 1st Platoon's positioning still acceptable?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I talked to Cathode in the Roll 20, and I'd like to resubmit this plan:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

With the clarification of the fact that tanks are able to move through the forests, I'd submit a revised suggestion for deployment:

Yellow line is the E8s, red line is the Anti-Tank guns, green line is the Stuarts. This way we place our anti-tank and recon assets in concealment, while also having more eyes and lines of fire to potential German movements through the treeline.

The primary advantage of this plan, compared to the current one, is that it allows our E8s to get into position quickly, and with excellent lines of sight over the open area. This allows us to cover a greater portion of the map in fire, and allows us to more easily detect and rapidly adjust to attacks on our flanks. It also makes it more difficult for the Germans to push against us, since an attack against any axis will expose their flanks to fire from the other side of the field.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Decoy Badger posted:

Looks like Decrepus stole my ride, so Move Quick for the first three minutes, then just normal Move to the form-up point. Split into teams, squad leader furthest to the left/rear, and disperse into the woods. Face Northish. Please put them into a place where they're not all exposed horribly.

I didn't know how I was going to get there but since it was offered to me in his post I took it, it's really a shame that you have to walk bu- *you can't hear anything else as the engine of the tank starts and Decrepus waves as it drives off towards certain peril*

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I talked to Cathode in the Roll 20, and I'd like to resubmit this plan:

The primary advantage of this plan, compared to the current one, is that it allows our E8s to get into position quickly, and with excellent lines of sight over the open area. This allows us to cover a greater portion of the map in fire, and allows us to more easily detect and rapidly adjust to attacks on our flanks. It also makes it more difficult for the Germans to push against us, since an attack against any axis will expose their flanks to fire from the other side of the field.

Well, the moment I make a decision, the consensus comes out against me! Next time I'm going to propose surrendering to the Germans--that'll get your fire going.

Alright, your plan made in conjunction with Cathode is approved. Sorry, everybody. Tank commanders, please resubmit your orders in accordance with this plan.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 20, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Yeah I think this is the soundest course. It gets the 8's set up someplace comparatively safe really early on and gives them great firing lines over huge chunks of the map.

This also means that 1st platoon will be walking into Chelchu but that's alright.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'll bet everybody in the discussion thread is laughing at me right now. Look at this silly Battalion commander, so indecisive! Let's call him Davin Dike instead, hah hah hah!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Map (written orders override map diagram, if there is a conflict.)

OPEN UP if not already opened up.
Set TARGET ARC to circle, 260m.

Move FAST to P26 along the road.
Continue moving FAST east and then northeast following the woods line to Y24.
PAUSE 20 sec.
Move FAST to AA22, near the eastern edge of the woods.
PAUSE 20 sec.
Normal MOVE south (abrupt turn is okay) to AA25.
Then normal MOVE east into the woods and then north, ending at DD24. Final facing should be NNW.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 20, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
So 1st Platoon have to all have to move into position under their own power now?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apparently. Squad commanders should go back and edit their orders accordingly if they can before the deadline.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Updated orders. Decrepus, Decoy Badger and David Corbett, please update your orders!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

And instead 3rd can ride into battle.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Apocron posted:

Updated orders. Decrepus, Decoy Badger and David Corbett, please update your orders!

Luckily (?) 1/3 was already walking.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Davin Valkri posted:

I'll bet everybody in the discussion thread is laughing at me right now. Look at this silly Battalion commander, so indecisive! Let's call him Davin Dike instead, hah hah hah!

Think of it this way: at least you're better than Herp. Probably.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

The Sandman posted:

Think of it this way: at least you're better than Herp. Probably.

Oh god, if I ever descend to Herp levels, I hope there's a mutiny to remove me from power.

Anyway, hopefully this will be the last time I go back and forth on a general battalion level plan. (Keep this in mind for when I hem and haw over the assault itself, durrr)

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
This is a tricky turn because we don't know where they are yet. Things might get clearer when we have a better idea of what they're up to, and things will get less complicated once most of us are dead once we've taken out more enemies.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Apocron posted:

Please clarify. 1/1 was already legging it.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

David Corbett posted:

If you weren't riding a tank then your orders are fine the way they are.

I am wondering about the "HIDE" command though. I'm not that familiar with Combat Mission but HIDE reduces your spotting and I think keeps your men from returning fire. It's not a huge deal, but it might not be optimal in these early turns when we're trying to spot as much as we can.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Cathode Raymond posted:

If you weren't riding a tank then your orders are fine the way they are.

I am wondering about the "HIDE" command though. I'm not that familiar with Combat Mission but HIDE reduces your spotting and I think keeps your men from returning fire. It's not a huge deal, but it might not be optimal in these early turns when we're trying to spot as much as we can.

I agree with this - the odds of pulling off a first-turn ambush seem vanishingly small, so I am cancelling that potion of my orders. I'd rather keep my men up if the Jerries blunder around the corner.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Cathode Raymond posted:

I wish there was an order for "get concealed such that you can see as much as possible." HIDE doesn't seem to do it and FACE is more geared towards expecting fire. I don't own the game, is there something I'm missing?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

I wish there was an order for "get concealed such that you can see as much as possible." HIDE doesn't seem to do it and FACE is more geared towards expecting fire. I don't own the game, is there something I'm missing?

This is what I had hoped HIDE was, but after learning that it was more comprehensively an attempt to become totally invisible I would really hope that this is the standard disposition of troops, and not that they'd be left standing around in a row like Frederickian line infantry waiting for the order to advance.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Decoy Badger posted:

They do that automatically really. The AI is at least smart enough not to shoot at things it can't hurt or fire weapons when it doesn't have the range. 99% of the time you want your men to take the shot.

The amount of men I've killed just going for exposed tank commanders would probably put me in front of a war crimes tribunal. But it is all worth it when it works.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Also face really isn't "geared towards expecting fire" it is geared towards trying to spot something you want to fire at. Sadly the game doesn't really model the difference between taking fire from certain angles with regards to morale. So you are never going to run into scenario where you panic something else because you surprised it by hitting it from a weird angle, you only do so through the normal casualties and volume of fire. There is no panic fire. So in that regard the game is rather limited towards reality but as a system it makes things much easier for the person to understand and control.

Face, for example, is really just there to give you a greater chance to spot the enemy. Now this is just a half remembered anecdote from the official forums, but basically the spotting system is a "pulse" emanating from each individual soldier that cycles in a certain period of time. I want to say it is every 15 seconds. So every 15 seconds the game checks to see if that soldier can see an enemy, and there are several levels of this actual seeing I won't go into, and that cycle is more frequent in the direction that that specific soldier is pointing. There is a longer pulse for looking 360 degrees, like once a minute I think.

They wanted to have spotting on all the time but they couldn't figure out how to code it without making your cpu overheat. Battlefront means quality!

So to finish this rather unhelpful post up, if you just want your men to sit concealed in some woods and fire at targets they can hurt, they will do that automatically. If you want to wait to target something specific (a bazooka team to hunt armor) or maximise their kill range (say they have 1 BAR and 9 sub machineguns with a 200 meter effective range) then you just use the appropriate target arc and being in something that offers actual concealment because they are pretty much already about as hard to spot as they are going to get.

Where this becomes a little more sticky is that the game differentiates between cover and concealment. Trees for example don't provide much concealment on their own, you also have to paint the ground with underlying brush. So on our map the very best concealment is going to be in those corner woods. There is so much garbage on the ground that tracked and wheeled elements can't move through them. It also slows guys on foot down and degrades their own spotting because obviously there is a lot of poo poo in the way.

So these tree lines everyone is moving towards? Obviously they have less in the way of concealment because armor can move through them. How much it will offer your little pixeltruppen is precisely the adventure that you all signed on for. But the axis are in the same boat, so my advice is to not worry. Everyone starts out playing this game trying to hug every tree in sight. Eventually you realize you can advance over open snow under fire and be successful and that is the key to winning.

edit: Also one final clarification. Your men are always facing one way or another, and by default it is along the same line you just moved. So if you want to face the same direction as the one you were just moving, congratulations because you already are. Not trying to criticize anyone just hoping to clear up the way the game works and save people some unnecessary worry over orders. Generally you don't have to worry about the face command.

That last stuart order though is a good example of a necessary use of the face command since his last movement order was 180 degrees away from where he should be facing.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 20, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Facing also affects placement of men. Facing a certain direction can get your men in slightly more advantageous positions to spot or miss a bullet, but it's on such a small scale it doesn't do much.

But it's worth always facing.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
If you are placing a face order in the same direction as your last move command then you are already in that advantageous position. It has no effect in game.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For an unhelpful post, that was really helpful, dude! If a target is in an extended firefight, will they seek cover/concealment facing that direction? If so, it would still be worthwhile to flank them.
nvm, I read your post better

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 20, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

David Corbett posted:

Just a reminder in case people had placed their troops in a way that factored in the presence of the tanks even if they didn't ride them. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've put a new map sheet onto roll20 that has the grid references, names and is more or less to scale. Check it out and see if you prefer it, by clicking on the paper icon at the top and choosing it. (Those wanting access, follow the link at the bottom of page one of this thread.)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's about that time to force other people's orders if they haven't come around . . .

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
POST YOUR loving ORDERS ASSHOLES!!!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

POST YOUR loving ORDERS ASSHOLES!!!

I think it's only Illegal Username who hasn't done it yet, and something tells me it's probably *not* because he hasn't yet been yelled at in the thread.

Edit:

Illegal Username posted:

Possible orders for Recon HQ
I'm thinking we need to get eyes on the middle hill as soon as possible.
So i was planning to use FAST movement to bomb down the highway into gridpoint N22, then HUNT towards the treeline at Q-R 20. Then hunker down there and check my LOS. If i spot enemy infantry, harass them. If i spot enemy armor, back the gently caress up and relocate.

On a scale of 1 to "sonderkommando elbe" how suicidal and idiotic is this plan?

This was all he had to say.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 21, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

David Corbett posted:

I think it's only Illegal Username who hasn't done it yet, and something tells me it's probably *not* because he hasn't yet been yelled at in the thread.

Illegal Username is using an M5A1, correct? If they don't show up, I'd like to make a Battalion intervention request and have their orders run parallel to Kangra's, just 25 meters to the right.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Sorry, i've been distracted and can only phonepost atm :saddowns:

Davin Valkri posted:

Illegal Username is using an M5A1, correct? If they don't show up, I'd like to make a Battalion intervention request and have their orders run parallel to Kangra's, just 25 meters to the right.

This is what i want to do what with the revised plan and all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Elbrak needs to change his orders though, right now he's got his E8 heading toward the wrong side of the map.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I reckon they're gonna push hard down our right.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No plan ever survives contact with Herp the enemy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

goatface posted:

I reckon they're gonna push hard down our right.

That would be my guess; thanks to the East Janson Forest, they've got concealment almost to the highway.

One thing we should do is keep track of how many platoons of infantry they've sent at the main objective; if they send everything at us, it might be worth it to run a Stuart around the west side of the map and grab the Porkins Farm.

• Locked thread