Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, we've had a lot of excellent discussion, and I think the plan is starting to crystallize. Here's a draft of Battalion orders:

The infantry company will hastily deploy in the tree line north of the objective, and in particular occupying key terrain to the east and western flanks. Infantry may probe forward past this line cautiously (if not in heavy initial contact).

Armor will be placed on both flanks. Possible fighting positions marked in blue. Armor on the eastern flank needs an infantry team for protection.

Heavy fire support vehicles will remain in reserve behind hard cover until an opportunity to employ them is presented.

The enemy's most likely course of action will be to set up bases of fire in the southern wood lines and assault the objective from the semi-covered approaches in the middle.
The enemy's most dangerous course of action will be to cross Death Road 1944 West before our infantry is deployed, and/or rapidly bring up heavy weapons to suppress our infantry's initial advance. The enemy will be closer to that area than us, and does not need to climb a hill to get there, so seizing this territory quickly will be paramount.

At least one recon vehicle needs to move to the left flank as quickly as possible to deter any early enemy push up the western flank. One or two squads of infantry should ride with the armor that is headed west, in order to establish an initial foothold in the key terrain before the rest of its unit arrives.

The intent is to occupy the key terrain and repel any enemy assault on the central objective, suppress the enemy bases of fire, and counterattack down one or both flanks once fire superiority is achieved.

Let's discuss any issues with this plan, and we'll try to finalize the Battalion orders as soon as possible.

Edit: I left out a fire plan for the battalion mortars. Maybe smoke to help conceal the initial movement in the west?

abelian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016
I think the drafted orders will work well - I don't mind sticking my neck out for a quick jab to the Western flank in a recon vehicle.

I'm not convinced that a two-prong attack is feasible unless we deliver a hefty initial blow to the allied forces, though it could work if reserves are committed and fortune favors us.

As far as mortars go, what is the delay from the initial call-in? If it doesn't tip our hand too much, a HE barrage on the West flank of the Big D woods might help soften things up for infantry advancing along that flank and potentially deter an allied thrust along the same route. Unless the time to target is fairly minimal, our initial movements will be somewhat obvious to the enemy (at least as far as vehicles are concerned), smoke or not. If our smoke rounds are limited then I'd prefer to hold them for an advance along one of these flanks, though could see them also being used to conceal a quick feint towards Obj. 2 to draw the enemies' focus away from the flanks.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Infantry Command agrees with Battalion Orders.

All infantry, standing orders are to break into fireteams and maintain a loose formation. Don't get your squad killed by a single 75mm HE or a .50 caliber burst. You can advance as a full squad for speed, but you don't want to be taking fire on the whole squad at once. Splitting up makes you more resilient and harder to suppress.

Infantry Platoons here are your objectives:

1st Platoon
You're Taking the D. Since you stole all of 3rd Platoon's STG44's and most of their SMG's, you just volunteered as the Assault Platoon. Discuss among yourselves who is going to do what but your mission is simple:

1. Gather up an advance team of 15 men (1 Squad(9), the Platoon HQ(4) and Panzershrek Team(2), for example), they'll have the unique pleasure of riding on a Panther going west far ahead of our lines and setting up a resistance in Taking the D Wood while the rest of 1st Platoon hoofs it. Expect heavy resistance.
2. The rest of the platoon will move up to Taking the D and set up a firebase. Use your automatic weaponry to overwhelm the defenders and pin them down.
3. Scouts should be sent across Death Road West to probe at enemy defenses at The Big D.
4. IF IT IS POSSIBLE, once everything else is set up then we may commit forces for 1st Platoon to assault the Big D and tear their firebase out from under them.

Expected Enemy Attacks Pray that they're setting up weapon teams and stationary guns in The Big D, and not a whole platoon. If they do set up a major force in the Big D or rush along the west flank, you're going to bear the brunt of the fighting. Use those automatics and fill the air with lead. The first step is to solidify our hold on Taking the D, then we'll see what our options are.

2nd Platoon
You have the best variety of weaponry so you're going to secure Firebase Hill and Wounded Knee, and set up to defend against potential attacks along Sherman Lane, Some loving Orchard or the Dream Flank. There might be a panther heading up that way as well, if there is have an advance force catch a ride to set up. Deploy on the hill in loose formation.

1. Gather an advance team to set up on Firebase Hill by catching a ride on a panther. Set up a preliminary firebase and support the armor that moves that way.
2. The rest of the platoon should deploy on Firebase Hill in loose formation.
3. It's likely that there won't be enough room for the whole platoon to effectively deploy at once in loose formation. I don't want our men bunched up, and I want to keep probing the enemy for weaknesses. One or two fireteams should probe across Death Road East, to see what enemy defenses are like.
4. Similar to 1st Platoon, if the situation presents itself and the scouts send back promising intel then we may have you assault the Flanky Trees with part of your force.

Expected Enemy Attacks - It is likely that the enemy will push up into the center along Sherman Lane or Some loving Orchard. You've got a good variety of weaponry and probably will have most of the armor support. You're going to take that on the chin, so be ready. Similarly, if they charge up the Dream Flank,

3rd Platoon
You're a standard German Rifle Platoon. Your machine guns are the key to success, and you're the best at pot-shots from range. So you're going to Lederhosen Wood, again setting up in loose formation. You're job is to cover the center, and provide additional firepower against The Big D if they set up a major firebase there. If the enemy rolls straight up the center, then you're going to work together with 2nd Platoon to flank and destroy the enemy advance. Basically, use your range to cover a wide range of areas.

Special: I also would like to have a bit of a tactical reserve. If 3rd Platoon command agrees and a squad volunteers, I would like to have one squad of 3rd Platoon stay with my Company Command. We will set up behind the Fallback Line. Note that this will likely consist of a lot of "hurry up and wait" so again this is purely voluntary. If everyone wants to be on the line then that's fine, I'll move my company command and HMG around as necessary. However the intention will be to have a squad, my company HQ and my HMG team unengaged by the enemy and able to move to reinforce whichever platoon might need help, or to support a critical assault.

1. Move up to Lederhosen Wood and set up a base of fire to cover the center, that can also shift to help suppress The Big D if that turns out to be even more fortified than we expect.

Expected Enemy Attacks It is likely that you won't be attacked directly, but you can expect resistance from The Big D and from any advance in the center. If the other two platoons are pressed and you're still free, be prepared to move.[/i]

General Tips:
1. Fire Superiority is life. If you have fire superiority, then the enemy on the other side are dying, cowering and not shooting back effectively. By the same token, don't fight if you're going to get torn apart. If you're taking tank/HMG/some other kind of firepower and you can't win that firefight, get down to the dirt and crawl away to a place you can hide. There is no reason to stand and die, when they almost certainly outnumber us. Conserve your force against overwhelming enemy action, we'll shift forces over until the balance tips back to us or we find a better position for you to fight from.
-Same thing applies if you happen to come under enemy mortar barrage. When we see that, we'll pull back from the target area and wait. When the barrage stops we'll counter-attack back to our old positions.

2. Area Fire orders are your friend. If you see a whole bunch of infantry icons but no distinct visual identification, then area fire at that location. Just throw lead downrange. Keep in mind if the return fire becomes too intense that you're starting to get killed/pinned, then refer back to 1.

3. Don't Bunch Up. Split your squads into the two fireteams, and keep them spread out. On these maps with the tiny squares, the general rule of thumb should be FIRETEAM - EMPTY - FIRETEAM - EMPTY - NEXT SQUAD FIRETEAM - EMPTY and so on. This is to defend against HE and big bursts of HMG that will cut through multiple people.
-By the same logic, keep Shreks, the platoon command Rifle Grenadier squads and other small weapon teams back from the frontline. Bring them up when they're going to be used, don't let them get killed by randos with rifles.

4. Don't just look at your squad, look at everyone else's and work as a team. Our platoons have incredible amounts of firepower, always endeavor to bring as much of it to bear as possible at any given enemy.

5. Terrain Stops Bullets. Cotton Does Not Stop Bullets.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 17, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Klaus88, any thoughts on tank deployment?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

professor_curly posted:

Special: I also would like to have a bit of a tactical reserve. If 3rd Platoon command agrees and a squad volunteers, I would like to have one squad of 3rd Platoon stay with my Company Command. We will set up behind the Fallback Line. Note that this will likely consist of a lot of "hurry up and wait" so again this is purely voluntary. If everyone wants to be on the line then that's fine, I'll move my company command and HMG around as necessary. However the intention will be to have a squad, my company HQ and my HMG team unengaged by the enemy and able to move to reinforce whichever platoon might need help, or to support a critical assault.

I'm a patient person. If the rest of 3rd is fine with it, I would Volunteer 3/2 to act as our reserves.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Popete posted:

Not particularity. Except that putting the panthers on the flanks and the hertzer in the center seems like a reasonable deployment to me. I hope the hertzer can pick off an enemy tank and that the panthers can catch any enemy tanks in a crossfire. Plus we can support the infantry that way.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Popete posted:

I've got some, but you do your thing. We still have another Luchs that can be deployed to fill in a gap somewhere, but they can't take the heat like a Panther can.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Klaus88 posted:

Not particularity. Except that putting the panthers on the flanks and the hertzer in the center seems like a reasonable deployment to me. I hope the hertzer can pick off an enemy tank and that the panthers can catch any enemy tanks in a crossfire. Plus we can support the infantry that way.

Sounds good to me, in that case I will take my Panther and head up to do overwatch at Wounded Knee.

FrozenLiquidity posted:

I've got some, but you do your thing. We still have another Luchs that can be deployed to fill in a gap somewhere, but they can't take the heat like a Panther can.

Always open to suggestions.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Popete posted:

Sounds good to me, in that case I will take my Panther and head up to do overwatch at Wounded Knee.

I'll take camp hill then.

I'm assuming I just command the panthers here and not the open topped vehicles and recon.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Klaus88 posted:

Not particularity. Except that putting the panthers on the flanks and the hertzer in the center seems like a reasonable deployment to me.

Ok, I'll butt in - my worry with this is that the center is fairly depressed area. The Hetzer's gun is mounted very low on the chassis and may not be able to easily fire over the terrain in the central areas, whereas a Panther in the same position benefits from the hull-down profile granted by this terrain. That, and having limited traverse with the Hetzer's gun means that the entire chassis has to swing towards an enemy - being in the center, turning in such a fashion exposes the side of the vehicle to enemies in many cases - a vehicle with a turret does not have this problem.

My $.02

FrozenLiquidity fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 17, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Ok, I'll butt in - my worry with this is that the center is fairly depressed area. The Hetzer's gun is mounted very low on the chassis and may not be able to easily fire over the terrain in the central areas, whereas a Panther in the same position benefits from the hull-down profile granted by this terrain. That, and having limited traverse with the Hetzer's gun means that the entire chassis has to swing towards an enemy - being in the center, turning in such a fashion exposes the side of the vehicle to enemies in many cases - a vehicle with a turret does not have this problem.

My $.02

Yeah that is a good point, the road is fairly low. I could swap positions with Saros and he takes Wounded Knee. My only worry there is a flank on the eastern side he could be overwhelmed pretty easily. But I may have an opportunity to help cover that side if it happens.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Popete posted:

Yeah that is a good point, the road is fairly low. I could swap positions with Saros and he takes Wounded Knee. My only worry there is a flank on the eastern side he could be overwhelmed pretty easily. But I may have an opportunity to help cover that side if it happens.

I'd think that swap of positions would probably work well.

If there's a Panther in the middle area and the scouts on Eastern flank detect a push that could threaten Wounded knee, reversing back down Baumy lane and heading up there would only take a turn or two without exposing oneself to the enemy. On the East flank, there is a fairly narrow corridor of likely approach to watch, and very limited opportunities for an advancing force to flank the position, so it plays well to the Hetzer's strength. If nothing else, 2nd Platoon is the most diverse of our infantry forces and is well-positioned to pivot their base of fire to stifle any such advance.

It's not perfect, but it plays to each of the units strengths and weaknesses. I can do a bit of recce and see just what kind of fire support a Panther in the Baumy lane area can provider to that flank too if you'd like.

Turnabout is fair play though, any ideas for the positioning on that second Luchs?

FrozenLiquidity fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 17, 2016

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

professor_curly posted:

Infantry Platoons here are your objectives:

1st Platoon
You're Taking the D. Since you stole all of 3rd Platoon's STG44's and most of their SMG's, you just volunteered as the Assault Platoon. Discuss among yourselves who is going to do what but your mission is simple:

1. Gather up an advance team of 15 men (1 Squad(9), the Platoon HQ(4) and Panzershrek Team(2), for example), they'll have the unique pleasure of riding on a Panther going west far ahead of our lines and setting up a resistance in Taking the D Wood while the rest of 1st Platoon hoofs it. Expect heavy resistance.
2. The rest of the platoon will move up to Taking the D and set up a firebase. Use your automatic weaponry to overwhelm the defenders and pin them down.
3. Scouts should be sent across Death Road West to probe at enemy defenses at The Big D.
4. IF IT IS POSSIBLE, once everything else is set up then we may commit forces for 1st Platoon to assault the Big D and tear their firebase out from under them.

Expected Enemy Attacks Pray that they're setting up weapon teams and stationary guns in The Big D, and not a whole platoon. If they do set up a major force in the Big D or rush along the west flank, you're going to bear the brunt of the fighting. Use those automatics and fill the air with lead. The first step is to solidify our hold on Taking the D, then we'll see what our options are.

As previously noted, I'll be surging ahead on that flank to dissuade an early Allied advance up the West flank and draw attention away from Panthers with battle riders. Depending on the situation once we're in position, I may be able to lend some support to this element.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrozenLiquidity posted:

I'd think that swap of positions would probably work well.

If there's a Panther in the middle area and the scouts on Eastern flank detect a push that could threaten Wounded knee, reversing back down Baumy lane and heading up there would only take a turn or two without exposing oneself to the enemy. On the East flank, there is a fairly narrow corridor of likely approach to watch, and very limited opportunities for an advancing force to flank the position, so it plays well to the Hetzer's strength. If nothing else, 2nd Platoon is the most diverse of our infantry forces and is well-positioned to pivot their base of fire to stifle any such advance.

It's not perfect, but it plays to each of the units strengths and weaknesses. I can do a bit of recce and see just what kind of fire support a Panther in the Baumy lane area can provider to that flank too if you'd like.

Turnabout is fair play though, any ideas for the positioning on that second Luchs?

Whats the best position in Baumy Lane for the Panther, from the pictures it's pretty deep so I'm not sure where I could setup that I have good field of view over the east/west. Seems I could move almost all the way up to the edge of the trees. If you have a screen grab that would be great too.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Popete posted:

Whats the best position in Baumy Lane for the Panther, from the pictures it's pretty deep so I'm not sure where I could setup that I have good field of view over the east/west. Seems I could move almost all the way up to the edge of the trees. If you have a screen grab that would be great too.

Jawohl! I'll reconnoiter the area and report back to you!

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Popete posted:

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Jawohl! I'll reconnoiter the area and report back to you!

I can help with this later on as well.

You'll have to be careful down there though, as enemy infantry has a concealed and covered (from you) approach to you, since you're using the reverse slope of the central ridge as your cover.

You'll need friendly units covering those approaches and keeping the bazookas away. Which our plan accounts for. Just stay frosty and if for some reason things go to poo poo, you should be prepared to back away.

Sunken route 18 gives you a nice escape route, so I'm ok with aggressive positioning there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ideally if someone could test LOS at the very end of the sunken part of the road where the tree line ends. I'm curious if I'll even have LOS over the small hills directly around me.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I can check tonight when I get home from work. I'll try to post videos if I have time.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Klaus88 posted:

The hetzer in the center is the worst of both worlds, it has no turret and is low lying so the central depression will disadvantage it greatly. It's not tank like the Panthers but an ambush weapon and needs to be treated like a mobile AT gun rather than an AFV.

I'd ask to deploy to the reverse slope of wounded knee and ease forward until I have limited visibility on the central ground, ideally backed up by a inf scout unit or two.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Popete posted:

Apologies mein herr, our preliminary reports were incorrect! See our reconnaissance photos:

Here is the inflatable Panther we set up at the end of Baumy lane to simulate your position. Note: The men are real.

While Baumy lane is protected from enemy fire, it offers nothing in the way of visibility and firing lines. As you can see, the dip is too pronounced to see anything beyond it.

Baumy lane from another angle. The trough is real.
On the plus side, our meteorologists report that this is a good position to weather out a tornado.

As you can see, one would have to advance dangerously close to Obj. 2 in order to see over raised ground in that area. Such a move would leave you dangerously exposed.

... A thousand apologies mein herr! I don't know how this slipped in, nor do I immediately recognize it, but my best guess is that this is a rough sketch of the Allied battleplan.

Ahem, as I was saying, this terrain offers little to nothing for the aspiring Panther commander.

The surrounding territory to the right doesn't offer any advantages either.

The left is little better...

However, careful investigation of the sightlines offered by the rise to the East indicate that the slope near 2nd Platoon and Firebase hill provide good sight lines on the Allied route of advance and puts you closer to Wounded Knee in the event that your assistance is required there. This would be my Primary Proposed Panther Position (PPPP) given the dismal terrain at Baumy lane.

This is where it is on the map (red), with well suited firing lanes down most of Sherman Lane as well as Some loving Orchard. The obvious flank for this position is already covered by the Hetzer (yellow). As an added bonus, you should be able to approach this position by navigating through a thin section of the Firebase Hill Woods and should be able to fall back into this concealment if necessary. You also have the benefit of creating a united front with and providing support to the infantry of 2nd Platoon.

In short, the mouth of Baumy road is essentially useless as a position for a Panther. Unsurprisingly, the position is also equally useless for a Hetzer.

This concludes my report. What are your thoughts?

Supplemental:

The terrain at Baumy lane provides us a ridiculously easy approach for infantry to Obj. 2.

FrozenLiquidity fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 18, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
INFANTRY INTELLIGENCE BRIEFING - Videos that might be helpful, with short summaries

HIGHLY Recommended Viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc0tpu9D5VM&feature=youtu.be&t=4m37s
Watch 3-4 minutes of this. It explains how the German infantry squad works, how splitting teams works and what I mean by "loose formation."

Here is a short video showing the weapon performance in a typical German Rifle Platoon, like 3rd Platoon:
https://youtu.be/AEBSr_zppMI?t=7m14s
Summary: The German Rifle Platoon is very dependent on its MG42's, which are extremely important for it. The MG42 provides most of the firepower of the typical rifle squad. This means the German troops don't lose much effectiveness with any individual casualty, but if something takes out the machine gunner then all efforts must be made to recover the weapon and get it firing again. An advantage of the squad is the MP44 submachine gun is generally more accurate over long ranges than the Thompson and will fire out further. Moreover the German squad is much more gung-ho about shooting Fausts and rifle grenades than the typical American platoon during area fire. Note the game won't shoot SMG's at targets over 200m away.

If you have mostly STG44's/SMG's, then this video will still be helpful. Look at the performance of the (single) MP40, and multiply that by the number of SMG's you have. Then take that same baseline MP40 and extend the effective range from 100m to 300m. A single STG44 will perform slightly better than that. Note weapons can still fire beyond their effective range, but they won't be as effective (obviously). As you'll see, some of our squads have truly monstrous firepower. Always endeavor to bring the full weight of your platoon's fire to bear at once though! Don't think of it as "my squad can outshoot that squad," Think of it as "my two buddy-squads can pin down their platoon for a short time, so my squad can advance to a better position for the kill."

Here is a short video showing the firepower of an American Rifle Platoon, which should be typical of what we're facing:
https://youtu.be/AEBSr_zppMI?t=1m14s
Summary: The American Rifle Platoon is generally larger than a German Rifle Platoon, and each squad can break into 3 fire teams as opposed to our own squads which can only break into 2. They are well supplied with bazookas and they all carry semi-automatic M1 Garand rifles, BAR machine rifles or Thompsons. The majority of the squad's firepower is actually from regular soldiers with their rifles, not the machine guns which makes them very consistent and not dependent on any one weapon system.

Here is a video that shows some of the tricks and tools that the American squads might use as far as splitting their squad into multiple parts:
https://youtu.be/kcALUU50HJo?t=3m29s
Summary: The American Squad is larger than our own, and they can split into many different type of teams for specific situations. Expect trickery. They can also keep their squad leaders back and send fire elements forward, preserving leadership and spotting a bit better than we can. However raw firepower should tend toward us generally (1st and 2nd Platoons), but we need to really work on bringing our key light machine guns to bear (3rd platoon).

Here is a summary of our infantry and their weapon compositions. I didn't include grenades or ammo counts, but this might help some of you get a handle on what exactly the guns you have are. Just search for your platoon or just "1/1", "1/2", etc for your squad identification.

Note: The numbers after a Panzerfaust indicate range in meters. Longer range Panzerfausts also tend to be better overall.

Company Command

Company Command Squad
x4 Soldiers
-1 STG44
-3 SMG
-Radio
-Binoculars

Heavy Machine Gun Team
x6 Soldiers typically?
-1 HMG
-4 Bolt Actions
-1 SMG

1st Platoon

HQ Team
x4 Soldiers
-2 SMG
-1 STG44
-1 Semi-auto
-Radio
-Binoculars

Panzershrek Team
-x2 Soldiers
-Panzershrek missile system

Rifle Grenade Team
-x3 Rifle Grenadiers

Squad 1/1
x9 Soldiers
-3 STG44
-4 SMG
-1 Bolt Action
-1 Scoped Semi-Auto
-Panzerfaust 60
-Panzerfaust 100
-2 Binoculars

Squad 1/2
x9 Soldiers
-7 STG44
-1 SMG
-1 Scoped Semi-Auto
-Panzerfaust 30k
-Panzerfaust 60
-Panzerfaust 100
-2 Binoculars

Squad 1/3
x9 Soldiers
-3 STG44
-3 SMG
-1 Scoped Semi-Auto
-2 LMG
-Pznerfaust 60
-2 Binoculars

2nd Platoon

HQ Team
x4 Soldiers
-2 SMG
-1 Bolt Action
-1 Semi-Auto
-Panzerfaust 100
-Radio
-Binoculars

Panzershrek Team
-x2 Soldiers

Rifle Grenade Team
-x3 Rifle Grenadiers

Squad 2/1
x9 Soldiers
-6 STG44s
-1 SMG
-1 Bolt ACtion
-1 Scoped Semi-auto
-2 Binoculars

Squad 2/2
x9 Soldiers
-4 STG44
-1 SMG
-3 Bolt Action
-1 Scoped Semi-Auto
-2 Panzerfaust 60
-2 Binoculars

Squad 2/3
x9 Soldiers
-3 STG44
-2 SMG
-1 Bolt Action
-1 Scoped Semi-auto
-2 LMG
-2 Binoculars
-2 Panzefaust 60's

3rd Platoon

HQ Squad
x4 Soldiers
-3 STG44
-1 SMG
-Panzerfaust 100
-Radio
-Binoculars

Panzershrek Team
-x2 Soldiers

Rifle Grenade Team
-x3 Rifle Grenadiers

Squad 3/1
x8 Soldiers
-2 SMG
-3 Bolt Ations
-1 Rifle-grenade
-1 Scoped Semi-auto
-1 LMG
-Panzerfaust 60
-Binoculars

Squad 3/2
x8 Soldiers
-2 SMG
-4 Bolt Ations
-1 Rifle-grenade
-1 LMG
-Panzerfaust 60
-Binoculars

Squad 3/3
x8 Soldiers
-2 SMG
-3 Bolt Ations
-1 Rifle-grenade
-1 Scoped Bolt Action
-1 LMG
-Panzerfaust 60
-Binoculars

TL:DR - MG42 OP, STG44 OP, spread out into teams, make all your mans shoot their mans at the same time. Oh, and look up your squad on the big list to see what weapons your poor dumb asses are actually carrying.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 18, 2016

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

professor_curly posted:

3rd Platoon
You're a standard German Rifle Platoon. Your machine guns are the key to success, and you're the best at pot-shots from range. So you're going to Lederhosen Wood, again setting up in loose formation. You're job is to cover the center, and provide additional firepower against The Big D if they set up a major firebase there. If the enemy rolls straight up the center, then you're going to work together with 2nd Platoon to flank and destroy the enemy advance. Basically, use your range to cover a wide range of areas.

1. Move up to Lederhosen Wood and set up a base of fire to cover the center, that can also shift to help suppress The Big D if that turns out to be even more fortified than we expect.

Expected Enemy Attacks It is likely that you won't be attacked directly, but you can expect resistance from The Big D and from any advance in the center. If the other two platoons are pressed and you're still free, be prepared to move.

Jawohl, herr Hauptmann! Final orders inbound shortly. Been a bit heavy into the schnapps tonight and I don't want the boys to suffer for it.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Im a bit worried about the tank riders, if we can start the game with a squad mounted its less of an issue but considering how important it is for us to rush our armor into position we dont want anything slowing it down.

I've got the day off so will be making a effort post for 1st platoon in a couple hours.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Abongination posted:

Im a bit worried about the tank riders, if we can start the game with a squad mounted its less of an issue but considering how important it is for us to rush our armor into position we dont want anything slowing it down.

I've got the day off so will be making a effort post for 1st platoon in a couple hours.

If we can't deploy on the tanks, then we'll have to rethink the tank riders. But I'm pretty sure we can. We'll have to ask dtkozl.

But the capability gives us a lot of tactical flexibility. It would even help a lot if the tanks could merely get the infantry closer, without going out of their way. It will definitely delay things for the armor due to how fiddly things are with vehicle dismounting, but I think we can find a reasonable compromise where the risk balances out the reward.

Make sure to coordinate with the armor for the tank ride.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Abongination posted:

Tank ride, make it hasty - Tank ride, make it hasty,
Tank ride, make it hasty - Tank ride, make it hasty.

I'm in the mood, lookin' down my sight,
Move to the music, we could ride all night.
Oooh, oooh, Tank ride - oooh, oooh ...

Tank ride, make it hasty - Tank ride, make it hasty
Slow down, get down, got to get to fightin' one more time
Hold on, roll on, Tank ridin' Panther you're so fine

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 18, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Fantastic Intel

Thanks for looking into this! Great work, I'm sure Herr Hitler will only have you shot instead of slowly starved to death for this oversight.

Looks like Baumy Lane is a no go, I was afraid of that when I looked closer at dtkozls' tour video.

I suppose the next best option is for me to setup at Wounded Knee/Firebase Hill to support the Hetzer and provide overwatch or move over to the Lederhosen Woods.

I'm very much open to suggestions at this stage as we need to come up with a plan soon.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
:siren: Ok, final orders will be due somewhere between 24 and 48 hours from now :siren:

dtkozl please give us a warning 24 or 36 hours before orders are due

I will put the finishing touches on Battalion orders and post an updated version shortly.

For many of you, this will be your first time posting orders. Now is the time to ask questions if you're unclear of how things work, either in the thread here or roll20.

Once you've posted your orders, please copy+paste a link in the turn 1 column next to your name in the spreadsheet.

abelian fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 18, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Infantry Company Command Orders

My Command Squad and HMG are going to split up and move to separate areas.

Company Command Squad:
Move QUICK from X1 -> T6 and occupy the building there.
Once inside the building, I want my squad to HIDE and await further orders.
If Squad 3/2 still wants to be reserves with me, then you can come hang with me to Waffen Haus and occupy a building there. Stay spread out though.

Company HMG Squad:
Move QUICK from V1 -> E3
DEPLOY Heavy Machine Gun
FACE South.

Will work out a more detailed/specific placement to get better LoS when we arrive.

Let me know if having a map with basic directions like this is helpful or not:

Also let me know if this interferes with any vehicle movement. We also need to know if we can start the round with tank riders mounted on the tank.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 21, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Squad 3/1

Quick move to N 6, Pause for 30 second. Split into 2 fireteams. Fireteam 1 is the one with the MG. Fireteam 1 Quick Move to J11 and face South. Fireteam 2 Quick Move to L9 and face South.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 21, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
1st Platoon scouts have apprehended an American soldier attempting to pass a message through German lines.

Amis Scum posted:

Since your Battalion HQ isn't accepting PMs and the only places I know your Company HQ posted are in threads I can't read, I'm sending this offer to you: if you and your other German friends surrender now, I can put in a good word with my commander and let you spend Christmas in Paris. What do you say?

We're not sure who this message was intended for but rest assured any collaborators or traitors will be found and weeded out. Only the strongest of Germany's son's are wanted in this, the finest hour of the Teutonic Race.

A reply to this treasonous message was quickly formulated and sent back, brief and to the point.

1st Platoon posted:

NÜSSE!

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

cock hero flux posted:

Squad 3/1

Split into 2 fireteams. Fireteam 1 is the MG and 2 rifles, Fireteam 2 is everyone else. Fireteam 1 Quick Move to J12 and face South. Fireteam 2 Quick Move to K10 and face South.

You've got no control over what the fireteams are. Your squad splits based on the columns in the equipment loadout in the unit screen, like so:

This goes for all infantry. One of the advantages the Americans have is that their squads have 3 columns, and so can split into 3 elements.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

ORDERS
Squad 3/1

Split into 2 fireteams. Fireteam 1 is the MG and 2 rifles, Fireteam 2 is everyone else. Fireteam 1 Quick Move to J12 and face South. Fireteam 2 Quick Move to K10 and face South.

Ok, good job posting orders so quickly. But a couple more points if I may:

• We're deploying right now, so you probably need to explain (preferably draw) where you want to be deployed within the deployment zone
  • make sure that these meet your platoon CO's objectives. I don't think any platoon orders have been issued yet, so be prepared to change them if platoon CO has something slightly different in mind.
  • while the combat mission AI might be decent at fighting, it is stupid and insane when pathfinding. Don't leave it to chance--draw your route on a map, and give a specific path. The map does not have to be a work of art. But a scribbling your intended path in MSPaint is a huge improvement over just giving grid square destinations.

Edit to add: also please make sure to link to your orders post in the spreadsheet.

abelian fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 18, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

professor_curly posted:

You've got no control over what the fireteams are. Your squad splits based on the columns in the equipment loadout in the unit screen, like so:

This goes for all infantry. One of the advantages the Americans have is that their squads have 3 columns, and so can split into 3 elements.

coincidentally that's exactly how I was going to split them anyway

abelian posted:

Ok, good job posting orders so quickly. But a couple more points if I may:

• We're deploying right now, so you probably need to explain (preferably draw) where you want to be deployed within the deployment zone
  • make sure that these meet your platoon CO's objectives. I don't think any platoon orders have been issued yet, so be prepared to change them if platoon CO has something slightly different in mind.
  • while the combat mission AI might be decent at fighting, it is stupid and insane when pathfinding. Don't leave it to chance--draw your route on a map, and give a specific path. The map does not have to be a work of art. But a scribbling your intended path in MSPaint is a huge improvement over just giving grid square destinations.

Edit to add: also please make sure to link to your orders post in the spreadsheet.

Alright I'll edit in a lazy MS paint map at some point.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

BATTALION

Our infantry company will hastily deploy in the tree line north of the objective, and in particular occupying key terrain to the east and western flanks. Infantry may probe forward past this line cautiously (if not in heavy initial contact).

Klaus88 armor will be placed to guard both flanks. Possible fighting positions marked in blue. Armor on the eastern flank needs an infantry screen for protection. Note that the NW hill offers commanding views, but is also exposed to many different areas.

INinja132: Heavy fire support vehicles will remain in reserve behind hard cover in Waffen Haus until an opportunity to employ them is presented.

The enemy's most likely course of action will be to set up bases of fire in the southern wood lines and assault the objective from the semi-covered approaches in the middle.
The enemy's most dangerous course of action will be to cross Death Road 1944 West before our infantry is deployed, and/or rapidly bring up heavy weapons to suppress our infantry's initial advance. The enemy will be closer to that area than us, and does not need to climb a hill to get there, so seizing this territory quickly will be paramount.

FrozenLiquidity: At least one recon vehicle needs to move to the left flank as quickly as possible to deter any early enemy push up the western flank.

One or two squads of infantry should ride with the armor that is headed west, in order to establish an initial foothold in the key terrain before the rest of its unit arrives. Coordination here will be tricky and essential. Klaus and Abong, I will to my best to help figure out the best way to accomplish this without delaying the armored advance

Commander's intent: to occupy the key terrain and repel any enemy assault on the central objective, suppress the enemy bases of fire, and counterattack down one or both flanks once fire superiority is achieved.

Intent for battalion fire plan will be a 10 minute delay linear fire mission on "the D woods". Battalion HMG will deploy on "base of fire hill". Detailed orders to dtkozl for battalion organic units will follow.

:catdrugs:
Now, Roll call!!! It's been quite a few days since this started. We need to know if you're still around. Please mark an "X" in the roll call column of the orders spreadsheet once you've read this.

Platoon commanders: be prepared to give contingency orders for your subordinates in case we suffer some attrition.
:catdrugs:

quote:

Kamaraden,

This will be our day to bring glory to the fatherland. Remember your training, work together with your fellow brothers in arms, keep your fighting spirit, and we will prevail.

abelian fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 18, 2016

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug

1st Platoon HQ

Ok 1st Platoon, we have the finest minds the fatherland could assemble so what could go wrong?!

Chillyrabbit
koolkevz666
Explosive Tampons

We've been tasked with securing the western portion of the map, specifically "Taking the D Forest" which the red arrows below indicate to. We'll be providing a initial base of fire to curb any overly-eager American forces that might push across the middle of the map.

1/2 Squad (koolkevz666) along with most elements of the HQ squad (barring the rifle grenades who will QUICK along the forest edge towards the western forest.) will be hitching a ride on one of our Panthers, these squads (15 men) will start the game MOUNTED.

Klaus88, myself and 1/2 will need to work closely for this first set of orders. Infantry cannot dismount while the tank has movement orders so we'll need to request that dtkozl save the second or third turn for dismounting infantry, we'll want to FAST drive as far west as we can and FACE the enemy before they dismount. These mounted forces will run south and form an initial screen in the western forest while the rest of the platoon hoof's it in. These initial few turns are all about speed so I want everyone on foot moving QUICK. Once everyone has caught up and is in a solid defensive position we can re-assess and maybe push.

Abe is uploading some LoS video's that will provide all my squad commanders with good intel for picking the ground you'll be holding in the forest, I'm giving everyone free reign as to their pathing and final positions. I will however strongly suggest that all squads SPLIT as soon as they are able, 1/2 will need to wait till they dismount. Also try to keep your elements from bunching up and be aware of eachothers orders and movements.

That is all men, final preparations will be made and then we will drive the Amis back into the sea.

*Edit - Grid Map for this page.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 18, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Start V2, preferable facing camp hill and with all the squads detailed by Abongination mounted.

Start unbuttoned

Fast to k2 then Fast To d5.

Face South

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 19, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Remember I need a google docs excel sheet with a link to your orders post people.

abelian what do you think, you guys got enough time for the orders period to end at 8 am EST monday?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Orders for the Wespe

Deploy in Y1 then MOVE to U5 behind the house (so that I'm covered from the South) and face SE

Xenolalia, I guess it's best if we stick reasonably close together at the moment so maybe take up a position behind a nearby house as well (maybe T5 or S5?)

INinja132 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 18, 2016

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

3rd Platoon, on your feet!

chf
Ikasuhito
Jon Joe

Here we go. I know you guys just arrived from the training battalion a few weeks ago, but we've no time to waste on further training. With the enemy at our doorsteps it falls on us to push him back. Orders have come down from Company command that we are to secure our right flank in the coming battle.

*Since we are going to be going on foot, 3rd platoon will DEPLOY to V2.
*HQ, 3/1, and 3/3 are to QUICK SW to the Fallback Line of trees at N6 and PAUSE for 30 seconds upon reaching it to form up.
*3/1 and 3/3, split your fire teams from there and quickly head SW to occupy the line of trees that run SW/NE in the vicinity of K10. Set up fire arcs looking in a south southeast direction and rain hell down on anything you see. Remember to maintain adequate spacing on your fireteams and that speed is of the essence. Get into position quickly before the americans can zero in on our location.
*3HQ QUICK to L9, set up a fire arc looking southward just past the treeline at I20.

*3/2, you are able reserve. Get to N5 and take up position there. Consider splitting your squads and spreading them out slightly.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Squad 1/1

Deploy V1

Split

1/1.1 BLUE
1/1.2 RED

Quick U5
Quick M5
Quick I11

Blue
Quick E11
Hunt D11

Face South

Red
Quick F11

Face South

I'm not sure if the men can run that far that fast but, hopefully this is enough for a good first run.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 20, 2016

• Locked thread