Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

2/2

DEPLOYMENT - Split Squad in two and mount on Popete's tank.

MOVEMENT - Ride tank (PURPLE) until its stopping point, then dismount and QUICK(YELLOW) into positions marked on map. Face SSW (BLUE)

ALTERNATE ORDERS: I know tank riding is finicky as hell, so if for any reason mounting on the tank won't work please replace the mounted movement (PURPLE) with a QUICK order!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Ikasuhito posted:

My orders are to hold fire unless their right on to of me. So I'm holding fire.

I'm going to break down and buy this game and actually look at the potential LoS/spotting issues. The idea of being in/behind the buildings may work out better, I was going off guesswork. So you're right, I can't make up my mind.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Popete posted:

Deploy Unbuttoned
Fast to Z-9
Quick to Z-12
Face South West (Roughly 200 Degrees off due North)

Orange = Fast
Yellow = Quick
Blue = Facing

Just wanted to point out, your left flank (Eastern side) is going to be a bit exposed if the allies push up any armor through Dream flank lane - not much you can really do about it, but want you to be aware and perhaps think of appropriate reactions to such an event if it occurs.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Rest assured, my squad will have orders in tonight.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
:siren: Important Information :siren:

I've gone into Roll20 and cleaned up things a bit. I deployed all of the squads in accordance with how they've been shown/described in the orders spreadsheet. I didn't draw their paths, to avoid looking like spaghetti, but this is approximately where all the various fireteams will end up as per our current orders. This will show you where your men will end up in relation to everyone else. Platoon leaders especially, you should be able to get some feel about where some refinements might need to be made.

Also platoon+ leaders, don't forget to give orders to your personal commands about where you want the important toys deployed!

Here are some pictures for convenience:

Eastern Front:

Eastern Front Overview:

Central Front:

Western Front:

Central+Western Overview:

Panther Camp Hill:

Ikasuhito/Gewehr - Sorry to do this, but it seems like your original orders were actually better than my own. The Fallback Line is actually pretty exposed, we'll be spotted there and may not be able to to move away once battle starts. The buildings in Waffen Haus are a much better location. Again, sorry for the confusion. So in the end something like this:

Reserves:

Will be better. Feel free to pick a different building or whatever Ikasuhito.

:siren: Also to reiterate Abongination's point :siren:
The trees aren't great concealment or cover, the map and even the game graphics are very deceiving in this. You want as many of them between you and the enemy as possible. So I'd advise everyone to move back to the North side of the treeline where possible. Remember a Panther a ~quarter of the map away can see through Lederhosen/Taking the D and cover the entire Big D forest. You don't necessarily need to be all the way at the opposite edge of the treeline, but I'd certainly recommend being more toward the middle, especially at the beginning.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

professor_curly posted:

Ikasuhito/Gewehr - Sorry to do this, but it seems like your original orders were actually better than my own. The Fallback Line is actually pretty exposed, we'll be spotted there and may not be able to to move away once battle starts. The buildings in Waffen Haus are a much better location. Again, sorry for the confusion. So in the end something like this:

Reserves:

Will be better. Feel free to pick a different building or whatever Ikasuhito.

It's alright. It's better we get this all hammered out now rather than have it be a problem later. I will get my orders changed in a few hours.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Thank you professor_curly for all the graphics! My intent is to have the 2nd HQ and Panzerschreck Team at the back (north) of the trees, rather than so far forward. The gewehrgranats should be the only moderately exposed team so they have clear lanes for their tiny bombs initially.

dtkozl, will we be able to get a copy of the save to use to create screenshots or clips of each of our element's perspective? I'm willing to do the work for the second platoon pixelnazis.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Abong had requested this a couple days ago. It will take about three minutes to arrive at the Panther camp hill given Klaus' current orders, and another couple minutes for the infantry to make it to the tree line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zs7XSPfYTI

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Redid my orders my men should just be at the north edge of the treeline.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

glynnenstein posted:

Thank you professor_curly for all the graphics! My intent is to have the 2nd HQ and Panzerschreck Team at the back (north) of the trees, rather than so far forward. The gewehrgranats should be the only moderately exposed team so they have clear lanes for their tiny bombs initially.

dtkozl, will we be able to get a copy of the save to use to create screenshots or clips of each of our element's perspective? I'm willing to do the work for the second platoon pixelnazis.

Well unfortunately I don't have any of the sides passworded and I can't really remake it without messing up all the squads dispositions. I'll save the turns and make them available afterwards to whomever wants them after the game is over. Next time I guess I should make a pbem passworded game, didn't think about it.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dtkozl posted:

Well unfortunately I don't have any of the sides passworded and I can't really remake it without messing up all the squads dispositions. I'll save the turns and make them available afterwards to whomever wants them after the game is over. Next time I guess I should make a pbem passworded game, didn't think about it.

Dang. Make sure to get a lot of good shots of each unit in the videos then :). Couple more questions/points:
  • Please give tank rider movement orders to dismount before the vehicle reaches its final waypoint. That way, the infantry won't waste part of a game turn sitting exposed on top of a tank.
  • This map is small, and contact is possible and audio contact likely within the first 60 or 120 seconds. Will you cut the initial three minute turn short in that case?
  • For multi-minute turns, will you take conditional orders (for example "if I see armor, then back up the recon vehicle if possible") ?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah if it comes up I'll just cut the 3 minute thing short. I don't think it will come up though.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok everyone, great job staying involved and getting orders in; this is really starting to come together nicely.

Saros posted:

Thanks for the LoS videos. The issue with the south facing position is that its unlikely the allies will send much up that way in the open like that so there's not going to be a lot to shoot at. I agree the panther is a bit exposed and should maybe be repositioned but i'd rather my Hetzer be able to fire down into the central area where we are going to have to contest, It's intentionally parked where it is so it's on the reverse slope from the south and only has a small field of view on the central area (like you said no turret). It does look like the trees are a bit better at obscuring LoS than I thought however so it might make sense to shuffle it forward some.
Well, in the end it's up to you, but let me try one more time to convince you. The fact that it's long and narrow makes it a pretty good place for the allies to park a tank.

If the Amis put a tank there, then you'll be tasked with moving up and taking it out. You'd probably be spotted as you moved up and the Sherman would get the first shot. But if you're already in position, you'll have the advantage and probably get the drop on it as it's moving up. Being the first to spot means getting the first shot, and a much higher chance of a kill.

If you move up there and find nothing, then you can always just reverse back to your current planned position on the reverse slope. So I don't see a lot of downside, but a fair amount

Xenolalia posted:

Wirbelwind will:

Move to X5
Face South
Pause for 1 minute
Move to BB7
Face South
Open up
You're going too far up towards firebase hill for my comfort level there. That makes you far too exposed. Please stick to the low ground, preferably behind Waffen Haus. You can give yourself some separation from the buildings in case you're worried about an early mortar barrage on that location. Also, as a bonus, there are good hull down, covered fire support positions on the big D woods from down there. I plan to make another LoS video showing this, but it would be nice to have you close by in case you need to come up and lay down the hurt on some GIs.

Edit: that also has you potentially contributing to a traffic jam in the area south of the spawn.

professor_curly posted:

:siren: Important Information :siren:

Awesome, that's incredibly helpful!

abelian fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 20, 2016

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Deploy turned out
Move fast to L4
Continue fast movement to H9
Continue fast movement to the corner of the outcrop of trees at B9-C9
At this corner, turn to face SE
Target and fire upon any infantry contacts
If armor is encountered and poses a threat, then reverse behind the trees at A9 at earliest opportunity
Otherwise, time movement such that a reverse to this same position is scheduled 15 seconds before turn end.

Lets keep this simple, go straight to the corner of the trees (seen in screen shot) at A9, and then turn to face East.

Final position should look like this:

Map isn't quite accurate with the change in orders, but still good enough for the basic idea, subtract the pew pew and go forwards all the way, then turn.

FrozenLiquidity fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

People are getting way ahead of themselves with the infantry movements to the west, the Americans will almost certainly set up troops in 'the big D' forest and they will be able to see and fire upon troops moving from Fallback line to taking the D forest (as the tree's in most of this map are very lovely thin trees that hardly obscure sight) so if you leave them hanging out in the open like everyone is ordering they'll just get cut down.

Popete posted:

Deploy Unbuttoned
Fast to Z-9
Quick to Z-12
Face South West (Roughly 200 Degrees off due North)

Orange = Fast
Yellow = Quick
Blue = Facing

Can you change these orders? Your Panther is very exposed and i'm going to take the keyhole position facing south so you can focus more on teh center, i'd reccomend a position further north on the NE edge of the treeline so you can face your heavy front armor towards the center and not have to worry about the left flank due to more tree's blocking LoS plus the slope and me guarding the south approach.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 20, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've updated my original orders, moved more north along the tree line.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

2/3

Deployment – AA2

Movement:
Quick to Z3
Quick to Z9
Split
Move 2/3 Anton to Y9
Move 2/3 Bertha to Z10
2/3 Anton FACE SSW (toward W12) and DEPLOY WEAPON
2/3 Bertha FACE SSW (toward Y13) and DEPLOY WEAPON

As usual, if anyone experienced with CM would suggest a better way of doing this, then I'm all ears. For instance, is moving Quick for the entire 3 minutes going to carry some kind of downside? How quickly will my squad make these movements? (Are they getting there in 60 seconds and sitting around for 2 minutes?)

Edit: SLOW movement into the trees was overkill, I don't want them to crawl, just not sprint. Disregard the purple lines in my image, those are now MOVE orders.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 20, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I tested the movements for 2nd platoon to check and only 2/1 heading to Wounded Knee entered TIRING in 3 turns of quick, probably because of more uphill movement. You should be okay.

I may not have time this evening, but I will try to make a clip of what you can see from each approximate 2nd Platoon position.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Saros posted:

Oh and The Hetzer has four ride-along slots for any enterprising member of 2nd platoon who want to get scouts to wounded Knee.

Doesn't looks like it has any slots. I only see the four crew below here:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oops my bad thought they were ride-along slots.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Captaindirtnap posted:

2/3

Deployment – AA2

Movement:
Quick to Z3
Quick to Z9
Split
Move 2/3 Anton to Y9
Move 2/3 Bertha to Z10
2/3 Anton FACE SSW (toward W12) and DEPLOY WEAPON
2/3 Bertha FACE SSW (toward Y13) and DEPLOY WEAPON

As usual, if anyone experienced with CM would suggest a better way of doing this, then I'm all ears. For instance, is moving Quick for the entire 3 minutes going to carry some kind of downside? How quickly will my squad make these movements? (Are they getting there in 60 seconds and sitting around for 2 minutes?)

Edit: SLOW movement into the trees was overkill, I don't want them to crawl, just not sprint. Disregard the purple lines in my image, those are now MOVE orders.

HUNT might be what you want, using that they will walk cautiously forward and hit the dirt if they encounter enemies. FYI this can backfire if you see enemies before you plan to as your dudes will stop where they are which might be out of cover. On the other hand with MOVE they'll sometimes leisurely walk into incoming fire to reach their waypoint which can be bad so...

I expect we'll rack up some fatigue getting into position initially but IMO it's worth it to be set up before the enemy arrived and not still running around in plain sight

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Popete posted:

I've updated my original orders, moved more north along the tree line.

I'm at work now and can't confirm, but I don't think you're going to be able to see anything from down there (it's at the bottom of a hill).

abelian fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 20, 2016

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Orders changed. Should be good now.

Ikasuhito posted:

Deploy and split in lower W2.
Quick move into barn at S5
Wait patiently

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 21, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

abelian posted:

I'm at work now and can't confirm, but I don't think you're going to be able to see anything from down there (it's at the bottom of a hill).

So where is good spot? My original position apparently is too exposed.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Is it still good for me to ride the panther over to the west side of the map? Looking at the video it will take roughly three minutes to get over there and I guess the only worry is the Americans getting infantry there before I can move in.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Popete posted:

Hard for me to check right now. Well, pretty exposed since Saros doesn't seem interested in being relegated to covering your flank :)

If you just back up to the NE from your initial spot so you have some concealment and protection from the trees. Possibly moving a few meters down the hill without blocking the Hetzer.

koolkevz666 posted:

Is it still good for me to ride the panther over to the west side of the map? Looking at the video it will take roughly three minutes to get over there and I guess the only worry is the Americans getting infantry there before I can move in.
It's going to be faster than running all that way up hill, I think. All indications from the GM are that we'll not be in contact for the first three minutes. If we are, he'll stop the turn and let us adjust our plan. If the Americans somehow ninja blitz into those trees, we'll have to assault them, but we'll have quite a bit of heavy weaponry to use as fire support.

abelian fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 21, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Popete posted:

This area-ish is generally pretty good. Two main reasons why. First, let's say they go super wide around the Dream Flank to try and get a shot into your left side:

You aren't at the top of the hill, so that's a no-go forth them. They can't actually get a shot into your left side without coming over Firebase Hill themselves.

The problem with your spot down the hill is that Death Road 1944 is actually raised even more than the topography map indicates. I can't get the LoS tool to work properly in screenshots, but here is what I mean:

Basically, you can't see anything past the road, because you're having to shoot through a hill or the hedge is blocking your sight. So you want to be up the hill, but not too up the hill. Here is an example line of sight from the specific place I just posted above:

You've got trees to your immediate left in a dense little cluster, that'll stop tank shells. Really any position in that area can line some trees up like this. You have vision down the road right before Junction City and the woods beyond that road. It's very hard to get a good shot on you from this position that isn't straight on into your front armor - you aren't invincible or anything, but if you can set yourself up around there quickly you should definitely have the advantage.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
When this post is :siren: 12 hours :siren: old, orders will be final. Despite the poor example set by the Battalion CO, everyone else already posted their orders hours ago. I think this an SA Combat Mission LP record!

Participation and player involvement will be as important as sound tactical reasoning in this game. I'm sure there will be a few unexpected turns along the way, but I expect us to fight hard, fast, and with flexibility. We have a solid plan. We have a seasoned leadership team and a lot of eager pixeltruppen commanders.

You can use these last few hours to check you and your subordinates' orders, and put on any finishing touches.

See you on the battlefield.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

edited my orders to move final positions back into the trees a bit

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

koolkevz666 posted:

It should be fine. Remember to get in any last minute edits you might need guys!

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

FrozenLiquidity posted:

Lets keep this simple, go straight to the corner of the trees (seen in screen shot) at A9, and then turn to face East.

Simple is good.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Although your battalion CO has yet to submit the HQ team orders, you can't accuse of him of negligence as he's been painstakingly superimposing dtkozl's grid onto the contour map:

It does not line up perfectly since the grid map was taken from in-game and it doesn't have an orthogonal projection view and the camera is not 100% perfectly aligned. That said, it should be reasonably accurate. Orders to follow shortly.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Battalion HQ and attached HMG

Yellow = move quickly
Blue = move

HQ team
Deploy in the southern edge of BB-2 and move as shown.

HMG
Deploy in the southern edge of BB-2 and move as shown. Face indicated direction at final waypoint and deploy the weapon.

Mortar strike:
  • Linear mission as shown
  • 2 tubes
  • Heavy ROF
  • Maximum duration
  • :siren: Important: 5 minute delay:siren:

abelian fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 21, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

professor_curly posted:

You've got trees to your immediate left in a dense little cluster, that'll stop tank shells. Really any position in that area can line some trees up like this. You have vision down the road right before Junction City and the woods beyond that road. It's very hard to get a good shot on you from this position that isn't straight on into your front armor - you aren't invincible or anything, but if you can set yourself up around there quickly you should definitely have the advantage.

Thanks, I've updated my original orders.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
:f5:

Any ETA for when we can expect an update?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I dreamt about combat mission last night which I'm pretty sure is an omen that dtkozyl ran the turn and we've already emerged victorious with our superior strategisms

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Flippycunt posted:

I dreamt about combat mission last night which I'm pretty sure is an omen that dtkozyl ran the turn and we've already emerged victorious with our superior strategisms

I think your right. Clearly our opening moves were so devastating that dtkozyl has been shocked into silence.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Ikasuhito posted:

I think your right. Clearly our opening moves were so devastating that dtkozyl has been shocked into silence.

I was afraid that our opening moves were so brilliant that dtkozl died in amazement when he saw them. But he posted in the grog games thread today so I know he's still alive.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

abelian posted:

I was afraid that our opening moves were so brilliant that dtkozl died in amazement when he saw them. But he posted in the grog games thread today so I know he's still alive.

Perhaps he was ghost posting? We should report him for posting from a dead account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

abelian posted:

obviously our plans brought about some unknowable eldritch horror into existence and dtkozl doesn't want to talk about it.

• Locked thread