Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Mans posted:

Vitor Baia, Couto , Petit, Figo, Pauleta, Rui Costa, Abel Xavier and Nuno Gomes were fuckin' boss.

not boss enough to beat the loving USA in 2002 but drat, we had an amazing team.

imagine if Darren Anderton had played for Portugal, you'd have built the fucker a statue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kurtofan posted:

Is it? feels like it's harder to get eliminated with this format than to be qualified.

36 fixtures to eliminate 8/24 teams

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm really annoyed there's only one game today, at 8pm. I need more football.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

EvilHawk posted:

I'm really annoyed there's only one game today, at 8pm. I need more football.

There are 2 matches today, at the same time

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Kwagga posted:

There are 2 matches today, at the same time

That's even worse! I blame Germany and Austria.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

It is. Poland and Germany both have 4 points, and N.Ireland will be above Ukraine based on their head-to-head if both end the group stage with 3 points

He was asking if it really was interesting

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I woke up today feeling bad and then I remembered the Ronaldo penalty. #blessed

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

dex_sda posted:

He was asking if it really was interesting

Oh
In that case the answer is no

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
france have made a few changes. cabaye/sissoko/gignac/jallet are all starting

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12023/10317710/euro-2016-format-has-taken-the-excitement-away-says-germany-boss-joachim-low

Agree with him tbh. 3rd place finish has really taken the excitement out

And the worst thing is UEFA want to add more teams

Should go back to 16

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

With 32 you'd not have the 3rd going through though so that does solve the problem

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

dex_sda posted:

With 32 you'd not have the 3rd going through though so that does solve the problem

True but why have even more garbage teams parking the bus. UEFA will eventually do it I'm sure because it means more viewers and more €, but it won't make it a better or more exciting tournament unless you enjoy rooting for even more teams that somehow lucked their way in.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
Reminder that a lot of the "garbage" teams in this tournament would have qualified under the old 16 team rules anyway.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

excuse me lady posted:

Reminder that a lot of the "garbage" teams in this tournament would have qualified under the old 16 team rules anyway.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Like Portugal

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

the jizz taxi posted:

unless you enjoy rooting for even more teams that somehow lucked their way in.

Like Finland, who would probably TRY to park the bus but gently caress it up comically and end up losing 0-4 in all their games. So at least that would be entertaining for all!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Xherdan Shaqiri posted:

“I hope Puma does not produce condoms.”

:D

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/20/xherdan-shaqiri-switzerland-shirts-puma-produce-condoms

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I like this bit:

quote:

In a statement, Adidas said: “We are looking into what happened. Incidents of this nature are extremely rare. The reason for the tear has not yet been identified but Beau Jeu has been widely praised by respected experts for its contribution to the exciting start to the tournament.”

Adidas can't even tell what exciting football looks like anymore.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

I like this bit:

Excitement aside, I'm glad that the ball has not been a talking point up until this, it means it's good and doesn't do crazy poo poo like the South African World Cup ball.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12023/10317710/euro-2016-format-has-taken-the-excitement-away-says-germany-boss-joachim-low

Agree with him tbh. 3rd place finish has really taken the excitement out

And the worst thing is UEFA want to add more teams

Should go back to 16

"This is a different situation and a return to the old system is obviously not possible anymore. So we have to accept that." - says Low.

Why wouldn't it be possible?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Doctor Malaver posted:

"This is a different situation and a return to the old system is obviously not possible anymore. So we have to accept that." - says Low.

because all the main guys were hanged or imprisoned

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
The Jabulani and the vuvuzela made the south african world cup the worst since the US

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

corpuscollossus posted:

The Jabulani and the vuvuzela made the south african world cup the worst since the US

The 1994 World Cup was great for the same reason Euro 2008 was great.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

corpuscollossus posted:

I remember the first match and everyone was wtf is that noise

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

The 1994 World Cup was great for the same reason Euro 2008 was great.

The 1994 World Cup is the first one I have actual memories of watching on television. I faintly remember it being rather boring, but experts have assured me 1990 was an even more turgid affair.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Doctor Malaver posted:

Because it showed how much more money is available having 24 teams. The only realistic fix is to move to 32, which isn't too bad if you look at who the highest rated 32 UEFA countries are.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

jyrka posted:

Because it showed how much more money is available having 24 teams. The only realistic fix is to move to 32, which isn't too bad if you look at who the highest rated 32 UEFA countries are.

Even with 32 teams Scotland still wont qualify.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I like this bit:

It's just marketing. They're obviously not going to say that the tournament is boring.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
If people don't like there being more teams then why don't they just start watching when the knockout stage begins?

Is it because their teams are poo poo and won't qualify?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

jyrka posted:

Why not make a two month tournament with all the teams then? And get rid of qualifiers.

ukle posted:

Even with 32 teams Scotland still wont qualify.

But Netherlands probably would.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Doctor Malaver posted:

But Netherlands probably would.

They would under most normal circumstances if their team isn't poo poo.

I realise that boring matches can't be wholly eliminated and that on a good day, even shoddy teams like Bulgaria could eke out a win against tier two teams like Sweden or Austria, but to make matches more exciting, I don't think the solution is to restrict the number of teams that can play the big league - the solution is to change the rules a bit to reward attacking football. Don't get me wrong, a well-constructed defence is still nice to see in action, but teams just parking the bus is frustratingly boring.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jyrka posted:

you just want latvia to qualify

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Kurtofan posted:

you just want latvia to qualify

Estonia!!!! Know your posters!!!!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ball(t)s

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

corpuscollossus posted:

jubalani owned, vuvuzelas owned

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
can we confirm that all the tards who want to unironically change the rules of football to create more goal are American?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

Estonia!!!! Know your posters!!!!

That's why it's easier to just say "Glorious Soviet Union", then you don't have to specify and be embarrassed.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

RideTheSpiral posted:

because all the main guys were hanged or imprisoned

:eyepop:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

RideTheSpiral posted:

can we confirm that all the tards who want to unironically change the rules of football to create more goal are American?

Yeah.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

jubalani owned, vuvuzelas owned

This is a joke, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I have a vuvuzela and use it to wake people up. Violently.

• Locked thread