Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are softboiled eggs (hard white, soft yolk) goos or bad?
Softboiled eggs own.
I' a hard boiled egg lover.
View Results

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

this is a safe thread for all egg lovers though.

I didn't mean to put you off by disagreeing. Thats just discussion. All eggs are good, solf boiled are just the best (imho).

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

That's one pan, takes 4 minutes, and you can use the egg shells to measure out the water. It literally takes zero utensils other than pan and eggs. If that's difficult you a straight up scrub.

soft boiled are better you twit.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

im guessing that everyone who voted hard boild eggs are better has never actually had a soft boiled egg honestly. This poll is ridiculous.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wendigee posted:

soft boiled are better you twit.

I'll soft boil ya rear end motherfucker.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
i have never had a soft boiled egg, friend

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if you can't handle the results don't make the poll op the people have spoken

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

The 90s were a disgusting decade filled with unbridled arrogance

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

thathonkey posted:

if you can't handle the results don't make the poll op the people have spoken

ignorance does not mean you are correct thathonkey.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ChrisHansen posted:

I wish I liked boiled eggs. It seems like a really nifty meal to prepare beforehand

it is truly incredibly convenient. I used to skip breakfast then over eat at lunch.

Now a piece of fruit and a nice soft boiled egg keeps me full until lunch and I can have a proper light lunch conducive to my desires.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I don't have any eggs at the moment but I'll get a half doz Saturday morning in your honor.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Also if you are an alcoholic eggs are good for you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiamine#Alcoholic_brain_disease
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiamine#Occurrence_in_foods

(hint hint dgsw)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Foreskin Problems posted:

I don't have any eggs at the moment but I'll get a half doz Saturday morning in your honor.

Danke shun mein freund.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
i like boiled eggs but its too much work to boil stuff so i fry them most of the time.

when i do have them i like em realllly soft.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

i like boiled eggs but its too much work to boil stuff so i fry them most of the time.

when i do have them i like em realllly soft.

ehhh...

i boil half a dozen at a time. That's six days of eggs on my schedule. They say eat them after 3 but I've been trying this for a couple months and im not sick yet.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I love soft boiled eggs, but the idea of eating one cold is a little unappetizing to me. Plus, I like dipping toast points in the yolk.

If you make your own salad dressings like you should, they come in handy. After you've made a vinaigrette in your food processor or mini prep, drop a soft boiled egg in and puree. You'll get a creamy vinaigrette, but without the added fat of using mayo. It also won't separate even after a couple days in your fridge.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
i'm going to make one (1) soft-boiled egg now for dinner

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

i'm going to make one (1) soft-boiled egg now for dinner

its pretty good and only like 110 calories although mostly fat.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

criscodisco posted:

I love soft boiled eggs, but the idea of eating one cold is a little unappetizing to me. Plus, I like dipping toast points in the yolk.

If you make your own salad dressings like you should, they come in handy. After you've made a vinaigrette in your food processor or mini prep, drop a soft boiled egg in and puree. You'll get a creamy vinaigrette, but without the added fat of using mayo. It also won't separate even after a couple days in your fridge.

I can understand that. My work friend was saying it was unsafe and that is just silly! I do eat them "unsafe" as well because i boil 6 at a time and take 5 days to eat them but, never made me sick.

I'm probably building e-coli antibodies and poo poo from whatever survived.

Also I take the egg to work so its usually closer to room temp than fridge temp when I eat it, but I don't eat it with toast. (I mean i do but not at work).

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
OP smells like eggs

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

the one time i actually ate an egg a day for a week I was farting sulfur like crazy towards the end lol.

I cut it down a bit and have no farting issues hector.

You are quite insensitive though.

Good news is that the sulfur is bound to thiamine so I'm likely not deficient despite my alcoholism if it comes out my butt!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ajitsuke/shoyu tamago in ramen is pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLbp19Tg4OA

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I do like 15 or 16 minutes in a covered pot after boiling for hard boiled, no heat. Ice water bath and eat, striving for a wisp of translucent but hard yolk. Mmmm. :chef:

No, no, this is all wrong. For a properly hard-boiled egg, cover the eggs with an inch of water. Heat to a full boil; turn off the heat, put a tightly fitting lid on the pot, and let it set for 12 minutes. Drain; fill the pot with cold water and let the eggs cool down for a few minutes. Peel. Voila! You now have properly hard boiled eggs.

OP, don't boil those eggs that long for soft boiled ones. Do like I say above, but just let them sit for 4 minutes instead of 12.

Love,
Vitalis

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Wendigee posted:

the one time i actually ate an egg a day for a week I was farting sulfur like crazy towards the end lol.

I cut it down a bit and have no farting issues hector.

You are quite insensitive though.

I can't be happy unless I make others feel bad

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Vitalis Jackson posted:

No, no, this is all wrong. For a properly hard-boiled egg, cover the eggs with an inch of water. Heat to a full boil; turn off the heat, put a tightly fitting lid on the pot, and let it set for 12 minutes. Drain; fill the pot with cold water and let the eggs cool down for a few minutes. Peel. Voila! You now have properly hard boiled eggs.

OP, don't boil those eggs that long for soft boiled ones. Do like I say above, but just let them sit for 4 minutes instead of 12.

Love,
Vitalis

Vitalis I may just try this method.

It sound much more efficient than my full pot of water, pre-boiling, then keeping boiled for 7 minutes.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wendigee posted:

this is a safe thread for all egg lovers though.

I didn't mean to put you off by disagreeing. Thats just discussion. All eggs are good, solf boiled are just the best (imho).

:synpa:

over-easy eggs are better

but soft-boiled and poached are also good

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

Vitalis I may just try this method.

It sound much more efficient than my full pot of water, pre-boiling, then keeping boiled for 7 minutes.

Yes, maintaining a boil for 7 minutes can needlessly consume resources.

Love,
Vitalis

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
delicious

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

over easy is easier but its too over and a lil bit too easy! i'm probably poaching eggs wrong but i've yet to lose like 15-25% of the white to the water when doing that.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You guys should look up a recipe for "tea eggs". Chinese five spice, oolong tea and other spices simmered with hardboard eggs cracked to let the broth in. They take on a nice marble appearance too.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Whole Internet posted:

over-easy eggs are better

but soft-boiled and poached are also good

I always thought it was "easy over." How do you poach your eggs? Do you crack the egg into a tiny whirlpool you create by stirring a pot of simmering water?

Love,
Vitalis

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

You see, I have never understood exactly how this happens.

Love,
Vitalis

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Vitalis Jackson posted:

I always thought it was "easy over." How do you poach your eggs? Do you crack the egg into a tiny whirlpool you create by stirring a pot of simmering water?

Love,
Vitalis

That's how I poach eggs and seriously you lose white, quite a bit!

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

egg shells are not delicious

why do people eat them like this it's stupid... you get shell everywhere

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The Whole Internet posted:

egg shells are not delicious

why do people eat them like this it's stupid... you get shell everywhere

White people, right?

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
i don't mind a little bit of shell. gives the soft egg a nice crunch.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I think egg shells are only for chickens (seriously its how they get calcium on an egg farm)

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Wendigee posted:

This poll is ridiculous.
Because there's no 'both' option.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

You guys should look up a recipe for "tea eggs". Chinese five spice, oolong tea and other spices simmered with hardboard eggs cracked to let the broth in. They take on a nice marble appearance too.
That sounds really good.

I cook my hard 'boiled' eggs in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

16 to 16 we are tied next vote decides.

• Locked thread