Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
will it murder MY WIFE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Pardot posted:

in the docs, every time cow is mentioned but once it goes out of the way to qualify it with 'cow metadata', and the other spot is for the file/dir clone feature. it makes me think it's not cow all the time like zfs or bttrfs, just when you use the clone thing and the metadata.

I will fight you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would you have a case insensitive file system that supports Unicode in the first place. It only makes sense in pure ASCII.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
It doesn't make sense at all because userland can handle it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

online friend posted:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/digging-into-the-dev-documentation-for-apfs-apples-new-file-system/

APFS is apple's new filesystem and replacement for HFS+, and it's loving awesome :hellyeah:

some of the features it includes:

- write coalescing with copy-on-write
- snapshotting/cloning
- full disk encryption (AES-XTS and AES-CBC) with multiple modes of operation
- space sharing
- asynchronous TRIM
- fast directory sizing

we all know HFS+ is Dog poo poo Garbage, and it's pretty sick that there's finally a viable replacement. currently it's only a developer preview and lacks a lot of functionality that will probably be a dealbreaker for most users (time machine, filevault, etc), and it can't be used as a startup disk yet, but you can still try it on other disks and play around with it

also, filesystem chat?

Your file system is a piece of poo poo.

Apple should have licensed NTFS.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how come no one has posted a fat joke yet

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

lol that they didn't follow thru on zfs because oracle is loving toxic

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

i think you mean ReFS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apparently lots of nerds are angry about case sensitivity. both Mac OS and windows have been running on case insensitive file systems since the 80s and users don't seem to have problems with it. obviously when Linux finally conquers the desktop it will show them what they've been missing all these years

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

apparently lots of nerds are angry about case sensitivity. both Mac OS and windows have been running on case insensitive file systems since the 80s and users don't seem to have problems with it. obviously when Linux finally conquers the desktop it will show them what they've been missing all these years

NTFS is case-sensitive and provides insensitivity at a higher level like normal.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Why would you have a case insensitive file system that supports Unicode in the first place. It only makes sense in pure ASCII.

case insensitive in Unicode is case folding.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
hopefully this makes defining a case sensitive subdurectory/partition/whatever less dumb though. right now I use a sparse bundle that gets auto mounted on startup but that's super undiscoverable.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SpaceAceJase posted:

will it murder MY WIFE?

look AP may be an abuser but he's not a murderer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

lol that they didn't follow thru on zfs because oracle is loving toxic

zfs is trash for Linux

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
using anything oracle is asking to get sued once they sense there's enough money to be made.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

using anything oracle is asking to get sued once they sense there's enough money to be made.

faaaaaaaair uuuuuuuuuussssssseeeeeeeeeeee

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
some idiots using zfs on Linux in a major deployment will get their rear end sued for using oracle patents, and their blubbering about open source is not going to help them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Management posted:

I know you're not that bright but Explorer features aren't part of the NTFS spec.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ntfs is so good

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

ntfs is so good

shaggar was wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ntfs is the worlds best file system

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

online friend posted:

shaggar was wrong

You really think it's worse than HFS?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

emoji posted:

something be better than something bad doesn't make it good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
NTFS is by far the best file system. everything else is garbage for Linux.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

NTFS is by far the best file system. everything else is garbage for Linux.

why is ntfs better than ext4

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

please point out where i said ntfs is worse than hfs

also lol ntfs is garbage, zfs > *

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

why is ntfs better than ext4

for every reason. its just better at everything

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

online friend posted:

please point out where i said ntfs is worse than hfs

also lol ntfs is garbage, zfs > *

In the context of FSs used by Apple Shaggar is absolutely correct and even you could absolutely do much worse than NTFS, which has been very successful in terms of the sheer number of deployments. And everyone knows zfs is far too encumbered. And wow, I'm shocked that an FS made decades later would be more technically advanced.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

In the context of FSs used by Apple Shaggar is absolutely correct and even you could absolutely do much worse than NTFS, which has been very successful in terms of the sheer number of deployments. And everyone knows zfs is far too encumbered. And wow, I'm shocked that an FS made decades later would be more technically advanced.

i would rather use ext2 than ntfs because ntfs is Dog poo poo Garbage

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

any apple fs is inherently made bad by the os installed on it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SpaceAceJase posted:

will it murder MY WIFE?

I too am wondering this, since I'm currently standing line for a marriage license. I may have to forego upgrading my various apple products.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Larry Parrish posted:

I know you're not that bright but Explorer features aren't part of the NTFS spec.

nope

Microsoft posted:

NTFS supports two slightly different modes of operation that can be selected by the subsystem of the application interacting with NTFS. The first is fully case sensitive and demands that file names supplied by the application match the names stored on disk including case if the file on disk is to be selected. The second mode of operation is case preserving but not case sensitive. This means that applications can select files on the disk even if the supplied name differs in case from the name stored on the disk. Note that both modes preserve the case used to create the files. The difference in behavior noted here applies only when an application needs to locate an existing file. POSIX takes advantage of the full case sensitive mode, while MS-DOS, WOW, and Win32 subsystems use the case insensitive mode.

I.e. the file system supports a fully case-insensitive use mode. it's not in the applications.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

zfs is trash for Linux

i thought it was trash for Solaris

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
same difference

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats really good is NTFS. it all the most useful features built in

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
coolest part about solaris is that the official development tools dont even have a functional debugger.

well, they do but they dont offer any tab completion or history.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
ZFS can also change case sensitivity

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19120-01/open.solaris/817-2271/gftgr/index.html

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
SPARC64 is cool, tho

moving register windows and a poo poo ton of registers is cool.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

why would apple ever use anyone else's filesystem in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
because they want it to work

• Locked thread