Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ahh, yeah, app fs. It holds all your apps, you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

*plugs windows ntfs drive into another windows computer to access the files* "Ah, poo poo, nothing works, and nothing will ever work; I should have seen this coming" - A computer user

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

atomicthumbs posted:

*plugs windows ntfs drive into another windows computer to access the files* "Ah, poo poo, nothing works, and nothing will ever work; I should have seen this coming" - A computer user

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

atomicthumbs posted:

I have never had this problem, personally, because I'm not mentally damaged by overuse of Apple products

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

how were you mentally damaged then?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I have never had this problem, personally, because I'm not mentally damaged by overuse of Apple products

i'm talking about plugging it into a windows computer and having permissions issues despite an admin account because oh no, the users folder is owned by the account on the other computer! click here to take loving forever taking ownership of everything and maybe some things still won't work

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

"NTFS is the best"

-A windows user with literally zero alternatives

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

error1 posted:

"NTFS is the best"

Ever hear of exFAT? Idiot

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

error1 posted:

"NTFS is the best"

Even if I had the option of something besides FAT, the other popular file systems suck and are only used because they aren't optional (Mac) or are garbage (Linux)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

has anyone said "a piss file system"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

BONGHITZ posted:

how were you mentally damaged then?

growing up a FAT kid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

growing up a FAT kid

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

"introducing APFS, the world's most advanced filesystem"
[litters .DS_Store files everywhere]

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm talking about plugging it into a windows computer and having permissions issues despite an admin account because oh no, the users folder is owned by the account on the other computer! click here to take loving forever taking ownership of everything and maybe some things still won't work

why would an administrator local to one computer be able to access to files of a local administrator on another computer? that would be insecure and stupid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

error1 posted:

"NTFS is the best"

you can use any open sores file system with windows but you never would because they are all garbage for idiots stuck on Linux

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

why would an administrator local to one computer be able to access to files of a local administrator on another computer? that would be insecure and stupid.

lol you're the best shagger

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux users: "you cant, like, own data man. security is bad!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

Linux users: "you cant, like, own data man. security is bad!"

literally RMS.txt

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

*limits entire file path to 256 characters*

*is ntfs*

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

That's not an NTFS limit though, that's some ancient windows api legacy bullshit

And then explorer doesn't warn the user that the path is approaching the limit when they go bananas with nested, ridiculously descriptive folders
And then explorer doesn't switch over to the new API calls that support longer filenames when copying stuff or give you ANY help trying to correct the problem
And then explorer fails when you try to recover files through the "previous versions" system because the path is too long without actually telling you on which file it failed

:argh: MICROSOFT :argh:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BiohazrD posted:

*limits entire file path to 256 characters*

*is ntfs*

this is an idiocy of the Windows layer, ntfs doesn't have this limit. you can make long paths and then Windows programs will barf when they try to access it.

edit: gently caress

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So both ntfs and explorer are terrible. Good to know

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
many years ago when I was bored at work I wrote a tool that creates an encrypted disk image in ntfs secondary resource forks. it turns out that the way ntfs permissions apply to resource forks is not exactly obvious, so I exploited a hole in the permissions of our corporate IT server to make a volume in the resource fork of some directory and hide all of my mp3s there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao nice

how does that show up for used space on the volume?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
i'm waiting for hack bunny to show up and tell me which is actually the best file system.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's been a long time but I think the parent directory counted it but if you checked properties on that directory it wouldn't show it. there was no way to tell where that space was going. most tools were not able to account for it because basically nothing on Windows actually knows about the secondary resource forks.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
'streams' is what ntfs calls them, but nothing in Windows really uses them. IIS had an exploit for years that allowed you to fetch the source for any file if you specified the main data stream in the URL

https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/19118/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, they're still a popular hiding place for malware, since you can execute code from them too. for a while in the xp days av scanners wouldn't check for alternate streams

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

spankmeister posted:

apfs sounds like apple catching up to 2006 level technology but they will hail it as the most advanced fs of all time

then they'll need some useless gimmick to fixate on what will it be

main dev is ex-beos or something so maybe metadata

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if it had live metadata like beos that would be amazing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

this is literally correct, ntfs permissions are transparent across the network and will work consistently even if you move disks between machines on the same domain

in fact, imagine the first machine shared the entire disk, someone else on the network made a shortcut to a file on that share, move the disk to a new machine, set up a share which in some arbitrary way includes access to that file, and the user double-clicking that shortcut will find the file on the new share despite the file itself being the only thing they have in common

shaggar was right etc

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lysidas posted:

like afaik everything made by adobe

It already breaks if you accidentally format your hd with hfs+ case sensitive

It's really bad

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
not the file system you want, but perhaps the one you deserve

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FAT12 lmao

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

that's what i named my dick

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

online friend posted:

that's what i named my dick

Ur more like an ext2

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Ur more like an ext2

same but squashfs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

spankmeister posted:

same but squashfs

That was the other available joke :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

Ur more like an ext2

:doh:

• Locked thread