Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

JiveHonky posted:

modern films are sound designed for 5.1 and 7.1, there are discrete channels of sound for all the speakers and some sounds are supposed to be behind you, or to phase from front to back or vice-versa.

its actually really cool and it makes a difference to me at least.

lots of people are totally fine just watching movies on thier phones, they dont "need" anything more.

i used to care about all that stuff but now it really doesn't matter to me that much. i used to use the stock speaekrs in my LG tv which ar eterrible until somebody gave me a soundbar which is also pretty bad but at least loud enough.

anyway do you really think 7.1 makes a difference over 5.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JiveHonky posted:

modern films are sound designed for 5.1 and 7.1, there are discrete channels of sound for all the speakers and some sounds are supposed to be behind you, or to phase from front to back or vice-versa.

lots of people are totally fine just watching movies on thier phones, they dont "need" anything more.

Seriously, like how could you possibly argue that 5.1 isn't better?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
ya only have two ears

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

JiveHonky posted:

anything less than 5.1 might as well be mono as far as im concerned

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Klipsch just have a really cheap way of creating a 3D sound field. They just bottom out on standing waves. Alternatively you could get a cheap lovely amp and your rear surrounds would sound better.

Ok I'm not any sort of expert but I do have some decent gear and I build my own cabinets. The two posts you've made don't make any sense.

Yes those are all real terms you have used but they don't really relate to each other at all.

And to add to this weird thread;

In my theater room I'm running Klipsch Reference RF3 series powered by an onkyo 818, and 2 18" mach5's and 2 12" Shok audio with 2.2kw (sustainable) driving the subs.

With just the 18's I had a flat response down to 10hz at 115db. Maybe even more but I broke some plumbing and ruined a kitchen so I don't play it that loud.

I've since converted the ported 18's to sealed and added the twin sealed 12's.

I'll also be moving the Klipsch stuff upstairs and building some diyaudio stuff for the theater room.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

ya only have two ears

and one vagina but we are talking about audio stuff

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Seriously, like how could you possibly argue that 5.1 isn't better?

Germstore posted:

ya only have two ears

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

7.1 always has a dead spot in the middle though.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
thats like saying "i only have two eyes, why would i care how far away something is" it makes no sense

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I'm running a tube 3RT-V with 2x 540 DXs and a jumbo X770. Sounds pretty good but I need a 20050π√ √¶ to round it out

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i only gently caress with 10.2 systems when it comes to surround sorry to all haters (oh and poors)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

JiveHonky posted:

thats like saying "i only have two eyes, why would i care how far away something is" it makes no sense

I also do not keep extra tvs down the hall to render far away objects, namaste.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

7.1 always has a dead spot in the middle though.

i dont know about 7.1, i have never had that set up. i just know that a lot of blu rays have 7.1 soundtracks on them.

i'm happy with 5.1 for the foreseeable future

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i would like 7.1 nude women to stand in formation around my la-z-boy and beat box the movie's soundtrack directly into my ears

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you know what is good and chill?

classic stereophonic audio. the way god loving intended it. left and right channel. left and right ear.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jonathan posted:

Ok I'm not any sort of expert but I do have some decent gear and I build my own cabinets. The two posts you've made don't make any sense.

Yes those are all real terms you have used but they don't really relate to each other at all.

And to add to this weird thread;

In my theater room I'm running Klipsch Reference RF3 series powered by an onkyo 818, and 2 18" mach5's and 2 12" Shok audio with 2.2kw (sustainable) driving the subs.

With just the 18's I had a flat response down to 10hz at 115db. Maybe even more but I broke some plumbing and ruined a kitchen so I don't play it that loud.

I've since converted the ported 18's to sealed and added the twin sealed 12's.

I'll also be moving the Klipsch stuff upstairs and building some diyaudio stuff for the theater room.

Yeah they'll pass all the benchmarks.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

I also do not keep extra tvs down the hall to render far away objects, namaste.

no, but if your tv screen had "surround information" that immersed you in a movie 360 degrees you are telling me that would be dumb because you would still only look forward.

you have never heard a sound behind you? really?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i don't look back, only forward. same goes for hearing.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

MiracleWhale posted:

i would like 7.1 nude women to stand in formation around my la-z-boy and beat box the movie's soundtrack directly into my ears

you only have two eyes dude dont be obtuse

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

i dont know about 7.1, i have never had that set up. i just know that a lot of blu rays have 7.1 soundtracks on them.

i'm happy with 5.1 for the foreseeable future

You could do 14.1 with a toroid amp and make a perfect cube field of sound with hardly and bleed aside from reflections off stuff.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This is a vid of my speakers in action:
https://youtu.be/P9bk_QLvc_c

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

JiveHonky posted:

you only have two eyes dude dont be obtuse

luxury is not about practicality my friend

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

i don't look back, only forward. same goes for hearing.

some folks are just too stubborn to abandon tradition i guess

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

MiracleWhale posted:

luxury is not about practicality my friend

exactly :wink:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

hell i won't even see like 3 of the women but i'll know they're standing behind me nude and it'll bring a smile to my lips

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
stubborn is my middle name

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Ear buds. They're pretty dope, yo. SIIIIIIIIICK base!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

amityville anus posted:

This is a vid of my speakers in action:
https://youtu.be/P9bk_QLvc_c

I liked this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHWZyPsIY2w

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

You could do 14.1 with a toroid amp and make a perfect cube field of sound with hardly and bleed aside from reflections off stuff.

5.1 is a pretty standard HT setup its not like im some kind of wierdo over here

i mean i am weird as hell but for other reasons

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
everybody get a load of this FREAK with all of his weird speakers lmao

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

everybody get a load of this FREAK with all of his weird speakers lmao

man whatever, get out of here with your two ears stereophonic listenin rear end

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
imagine headphones with more than 2 channels

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

sounds come from more than 5 directions though. 2 seems like a reasonable compromise.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

imagine headphones with more than 2 channels

now i dont know if you are being serious or what because that is definitely a thing that exists

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i'm telling you. the sound design on movies like Saving Private Ryan are intense. you hear the bullets whizzing past and explosions with a decent sub will make your neck hair stand up.

its really cool

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe now is a good time to have a talk about hypernatural resolutions and heat death. :unsmith:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

How can the bullets whiz by when you don't have speakers to the side?

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Maybe now is a good time to have a talk about hypernatural resolutions and heat death. :unsmith:

i havent heard of that is it available on blu ray?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
5.1 or 7.1 surround sound for movies.

Two big tower speakers and a sub for music.

That's really all you need bruv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

How can the bullets whiz by when you don't have speakers to the side?

because the sound phases from front to back. its an illusion.

• Locked thread