Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

A long time ago there was a thread in the AV forum here about speaker building that inspired me to make a pair of these: http://rjbaudio.com/Microbe/microbe.html

They're small but mighty and when paired with a $120 12" Dayton sub they beat out my Andrew Jones Pioneer floorstanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

thathonkey posted:

i hate to be "that guy" home audio equipment has been getting progressively worse since the 70s-80s if you buy any modern poo poo when there is a plethora of cheap old audio equipment that is millions of times better just lol. just loving lol.

Good speakers and amps will always be good, yeah. Sometimes you have to update the other stuff though.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Homebuilt speakers are the best. For $500 in parts I have a system that you would needs to spend thousands on B&W or ProAc gear to compete with.

:respek:

If you have a few basic woodworking tools and enjoy projects this is hands down the way to go. Replicating multi-thousand dollar speakers really just comes down to building a box with the correct internal volume, copying the crossover circuit with good quality parts (which aren't that expensive), and plopping in the right drivers (the actual round "speaker" parts with the magnets, which can be a little expensive but still nowhere near what you'd pay in a prebuilt cabinet). When you don't have to worry about all the R&D it's amazingly easy to make a $5000 pair of speakers for a few hundred bucks.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

thathonkey posted:

anyway do you really think 7.1 makes a difference over 5.1

There is a difference, but at that point it's definitely diminishing returns. I had the full 7.1 setup at my old place but after I moved I just stuck with 5.1 and never bothered to reconnect the other 2. It would probably make a more noticeable difference with super high end matching speakers across the board and well produced source material though.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Champenema posted:

Lol at all the spearkers with the foam donut so you can see the "thump." poo poo dryrots in no time fast while paper speakers from the 50"s still work and sound better.
I got some lovely home entertainment set up in the living room, and in the office is a nice 150 watt stereo amp and sick, strong speaks that I've yet to really crank out on.

Subs really do need to move a lot of air to be effective, the cone moving a lot isn't just for show. But yeah, rubber surrounds are better than foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

88h88 posted:

JBL Control 5s in the garage
TDL transmission lines in the living room
Bill Fitzmaurice T60, T39 and OT12s in the conservatory
M-Audio AV42s along with a Mordaunt Short genie sub in the bedroom

Various other speakers of varying vintages in storage.

Did you build the Fitzmaurice stuff yourself? I'm thinking of making a Tuba and am curious about peoples experiences.

• Locked thread