Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stereo black holes and plasma dawg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just get parabolic domes, any brand will work with your pioneer as long as you match the impedance. Klipsch are always going to be behind your amplifier and you are probably getting phasing issues and broken standing waves on guitars and poo poo.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 16, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

i have had no problem with klipsch in the past i think these ones just dont sound great because they are like, the bottom of the line consumer ones and maybe they didnt qc them very carefully.

Klipsch just have a really cheap way of creating a 3D sound field. They just bottom out on standing waves. Alternatively you could get a cheap lovely amp and your rear surrounds would sound better.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skeleton Ape posted:

A long time ago there was a thread in the AV forum here about speaker building that inspired me to make a pair of these: http://rjbaudio.com/Microbe/microbe.html

They're small but mighty and when paired with a $120 12" Dayton sub they beat out my Andrew Jones Pioneer floorstanders.

"Ferrofluid" lol. :airquote: they are filled with blood.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thathonkey posted:

you need to get yourself a silverface:

can be had on craigslist for under $300 probably way cheaper if you're patient

I swear I can hear the gainy delay on those.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I dunno they just sound ampy :airquote: or whatever.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thathonkey posted:

dunno what that means buddo but i hope you found a cure for it in some other gear. sound can be kinda subjkective and depends also what kinda music or poo poo you push thru the speakers

Oh maybe it's all the poop then. Oh yeah look the rv septic nozzle is loose on the back of these speakers, just jiggled it a little now it's fine. :shrug:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thathonkey posted:

luckily my dad for some reason blew a bunch of money on nice stereo equipment back in the 80s probably in an attempt to look cool because he barely knows anything about electornics or music for that matter and anyway now i have all of it and it still works

I don't get the whole 5.1 thing. You could do a floating point with Dolby logic and 2 speakers in the 80s. :shrug:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thathonkey posted:

it's a gimmick for idiots. all you need is 2 nice speakers and maaaybe a discrete sub. but probably not even.

Eh there's more than one way to skin a cat. Most rooms don't support atomically perfect speaker placement or whatever.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thathonkey posted:

it's a gimmick for idiots. all you need is 2 nice speakers and maaaybe a discrete sub. but probably not even.

Haha yeah sure, hey jivehonkey you should just run your amp in 2.1, then you'll have a valve.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

modern films are sound designed for 5.1 and 7.1, there are discrete channels of sound for all the speakers and some sounds are supposed to be behind you, or to phase from front to back or vice-versa.

its actually really cool and it makes a difference to me at least.

lots of people are totally fine just watching movies on thier phones, they dont "need" anything more.

7.1 always has a dead spot in the middle though.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jonathan posted:

Ok I'm not any sort of expert but I do have some decent gear and I build my own cabinets. The two posts you've made don't make any sense.

Yes those are all real terms you have used but they don't really relate to each other at all.

And to add to this weird thread;

In my theater room I'm running Klipsch Reference RF3 series powered by an onkyo 818, and 2 18" mach5's and 2 12" Shok audio with 2.2kw (sustainable) driving the subs.

With just the 18's I had a flat response down to 10hz at 115db. Maybe even more but I broke some plumbing and ruined a kitchen so I don't play it that loud.

I've since converted the ported 18's to sealed and added the twin sealed 12's.

I'll also be moving the Klipsch stuff upstairs and building some diyaudio stuff for the theater room.

Yeah they'll pass all the benchmarks.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

i dont know about 7.1, i have never had that set up. i just know that a lot of blu rays have 7.1 soundtracks on them.

i'm happy with 5.1 for the foreseeable future

You could do 14.1 with a toroid amp and make a perfect cube field of sound with hardly and bleed aside from reflections off stuff.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe now is a good time to have a talk about hypernatural resolutions and heat death. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JiveHonky posted:

i havent heard of that is it available on blu ray?

No it's only on pink ray. :smug:

• Locked thread