Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2xxizpHuoo

Tonight’s the night: specifically, it’s UFC Fight Night 89: MacDonald vs. Thompson, 10:30 p.m. ET Saturday, June 18 on Fox Sports 1.

And it's going to happen again and again. It has to happen. It’s a nice night for a fight. Ottawa’s a great town: I love the ByWard Market, the fresh produce. Delicious. But I’m hungry for something different now.

That something is fights. The FBI estimates that there are anywhere from 25-50 active serial killers in the U.S. at any given time. Tonight we’ll be looking at 10 of the most wanted — those out there who have their own Dark Passengers they need to feed.

Welterweight

Rory “The Red King” MacDonald

vs.

Stephen “Wonder Boy” Thompson

By all accounts Rory MacDonald had a normal childhood growing up in British Columbia, there were no chainsaws and shipping containers in his youth. But there were warning signs of the monster he’d become, even from a young age. He began training in martial arts at 14, he had a creepy vacant stare, and he enjoyed strawberry omelets. While people mistook his anti-social awkwardness for the growing pains of being a young star developing in the spotlight, fans eventually learned the darker truth: he was a killer. Initially nicknamed “The Water Boy” by the press for his clear mental and emotional handicaps, MacDonald rejected this name and took on the mantle of the Greek god of war Ares, before eventually dubbing himself “The Red King.” MacDonald was known for wrestlefucking his victims, before shifting his MO to elude capture — he eventually began mauling and taunting his victims, including Robbie Lawler, whose lip MacDonald viciously slashed over the course of 22 minutes. Unfortunately for MacDonald’s Dark Passenger, Lawler escaped and put on a brave face for his rescuing officers, telling one of them “I feel loving great.” MacDonald has gone underground since then, but rumors are he will emerge soon to kill again.

Stephen Thompson had a much more harsh upbringing. Raised in a strict, religious household by his karate coach and manager father, accounts of Thompson’s childhood are shocking. When not bowing to the American flag and saying the pledge of allegiance before every karate practice, Thompson was forced to put on long pants and kickbox on a weird open trampoline in front of his father’s A-list Hollywood star friends. Everyone in Thompson’s life also had an odd habit of calling him “Wonder Boy” well into his 30s, a trait which has undoubtedly lead to his deranged state of mind. Thompson is known for brutally kicking his victims to death, often drawing strange and cryptic runes into the air with his legs as he does so. While I understand the need for ritual, I never saw the superstition in it. Regardless of our difference of opinion, the dark ritual he performs in the Octagon to collect souls to serve him in the afterlife has been interrupted just once as a professional MMA fighter, at the hands of Matt Brown.

Welterweight

Donald “The Cowboy Killer” Cerrone

vs.

Patrick “The Predator” Cote

Most of us hunt with a Code. It keeps us safe, and allows us to do our… work… unabated. And then there’s Donald Cerrone, who strikes often and repeatedly, seemingly without pattern or regard for his own well-being. He pops up every two or three months and always volunteers to step in for anyone else on short notice, regardless of weight or timing. I guess all the cheap beer and extreme motorsports don’t quite satisfy that monster deep down inside…

Blood. Sometimes, it sets my teeth on edge. Other times, it helps me control the chaos.
Patrick Cote feels the same way but about hair grease and horse meat. Just looking at his hair makes me want to strip naked and sob in a scalding shower.

Light Heavyweight

Steve Bossé

vs.

Sean “Kill ‘Em With Kindness” O’Connell

Steve Bossé has been on my list for a while. A former hockey enforcer, Bosse gave it up to chase the big time in MMA. He murdered a bunch of homeless people in Montreal and also Houston Alexander, figuring no one would notice. He was right, but he hasn’t evaded my watchful eye. Unfortunately, Thiago Santos beat me to the pleasure of actually killing him.

Sean O’Connell is known to earn the trust of his victims by acting gentle and demure at the weigh-ins, offering bouquets of flowers, nutritious snacks or friendly games of rock-paper-scissors. But we warn you, when he lures his victims into the cage, it is a different story two out of five times.

Lightweight

Olivier Aubin-Mercier

vs.

Thibault Gouti

Olivier Aubin-Mercier is like Season 8 of Dexter: he is extremely uninteresting and no one watches him.

Thibault Gouti has had one fight in the UFC, where he lost to legendary podracer and Boonta Eve Classic champion Teemu Packalen.

Women’s Flyweight

Valerie Letourneau

vs.

Joanne Calderwood

In the UFC’s first ever women’s flyweight fight, we’ve got a bout between two strawweights who couldn’t quite cut it there. Valerie Letourneau. She hasn’t had any particularly huge wins, but she looked better than most against Joanna Champion and she was outsized in most of her losses. Could she have something hidden under the surface? Something like me? Her own… Dark Passenger?

JoJo Calderwood started her descent into this dark world we live in on accident, when her brother’s friend stood him up for muay thai class so she went in his stead. Since then she started dating her coach. When they broke up, things weren’t pretty. She’s beloved by the goon community, but she might vaguely be a monster in disguise. (Probably not though, to be honest.)

OTHER CRIMINALS TO LOOK OUT FOR

FS2 Prelims, 8:30 p.m. ET
Lightweight Jason Saggo vs. Leandro Silva
Light Heavyweight Misha Cirkunov vs. Ion Cutelaba
Middleweight Tamdan McCrory vs. Krzysztof Jotko
Bantamweight Chris Beal vs. Joe Soto

UFC Fight Pass Prelims, 6:45 p.m. ET
Middleweight Elias Theodorou vs. Sam Alvey
Women's Strawweight Randa Markos vs. Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger
Welterweight Colby Covington vs. Jonathan Meunier
Flyweight Ali Bagautinov vs. Geane Herrera

Official weigh-ins, 5 p.m. ET Friday, June 17

http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-night-ottawa-macdonald-thompson-official-weigh-in

Official MMA Snack Rating: An egg and exactly one bite’s worth of cooked ham, a nice mug of french-pressed coffee and a cup of fresh-squeezed blood orange juice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej8-Rqo-VT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
they're already dead... they just don't know it yet....

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Lots of canadians on this card, expect a lot of people quitting on the stool ala Rory. Cerrones a true warrior but not enough to get me to tune in on a nice summer day

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I love Jojo so much I named my new Scottish Terrier puppy I brought home Monday after her. Expect Mocha Jojo to bring you her fight pick for the main event tomorrow, supposing her attention span allows it.

Snack rating: Carrot cake

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bluedeanie posted:

Thibault Gouti has had one fight in the UFC, where he lost to legendary podracer and Boonta Eve Classic champion Teemu Packalen.

lol.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BARN CAT

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
i loled at the op

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I don't care who owns the UFC as long as we still get bluedeanie OPs

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHJ7An2CMB4

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

:hellyeah:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:peanut:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Lots of canadians on this card, expect a lot of people quitting on the stool ala Rory. Cerrones a true warrior but not enough to get me to tune in on a nice summer day

LOL

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lord waffle beard i think you're mixing up your important 170lb fights. tyron woodley made johny hendricks quit on the stool which is why he got a title shot.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lord waffle beard i think you're mixing up your important 170lb fights. tyron woodley made johny hendricks quit on the stool which is why he got a title shot.

Bravo

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Let's go:

- Argos
- Blue Jays
- Maple Leafs
- Raptors
- Rory MacDonald

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
The Mystical Mojo has spoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQhvbnaJKWc

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Driving up to Ottawa tomorrow for this. Going to be my first UFC live event.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't want either of the main eventers to lose.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i agree with the hound

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't want either of the main eventers to lose.

Same, as a fan of great fights I love this match up, as a fan of both fighters I hate it. I wonder if the UFC really did give Rory this fight hoping he would lose to mess with his upcoming bid at free agency.

Wonderboy should have got the title shot instead of Tyron, that poo poo is ridiculous.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think Rory is gonna win because he's not a midget with t-rex arms like Johny Hendricks, also I think he will successfully take Wonderboy down and kill him.

tre-far
Dec 11, 2002

weeeeeeeeee

Le Saboteur posted:

My first live UFC event also - can't wait!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

Olivier Aubin-Mercier is like Season 8 of Dexter: he is extremely uninteresting and no one watches him.

lol

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

d'awwww :3:

https://fat.gfycat.com/AgonizingZestyBirdofparadise.webm

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Look how happy Joe Silva is :3:

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009
I would very much like Joe Silva to have more of a public facing role in the UFC (though he may not want to do anything like that?). If Dana chooses to leave after a purchase, I hope he is on a shortlist for interim mouthpiece while they look for a new replacement.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
People always talk about having a Chuck Liddell camera but put one on Joe Silva. Dude has the best reactions to fights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Rude_Dude posted:

I would very much like Joe Silva to have more of a public facing role in the UFC (though he may not want to do anything like that?). If Dana chooses to leave after a purchase, I hope he is on a shortlist for interim mouthpiece while they look for a new replacement.

Given his position, I would think that if Silva wanted a more public facing role he'd probably have it already.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

Let's Go: Tamdan "Barn Dad" McCrory

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm not happy that Smilin' Sam is hidden on the fight pass portion of the card.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Let's go:

- Argos
- Blue Jays
- Maple Leafs
- Raptors
- Rory MacDonald

Confirm. Also cheer for Elias and mischa tia

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Do NOT eat at that place in kaladar. Trust me on this one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

Do NOT eat at that place in kaladar. Trust me on this one.

The snack rating for the live show is schwarma with a side of pho.

Or a $3 banh mi.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Let's go:

- Argos Roughriders
- Blue Jays
- Maple Leafs
- Raptors
- Rory MacDonald

Get with the program. Get with Canada's team.

Saw BarnCat's headshot was removed from the UFC website for his fight with Jotko, took a panicked breath, realized it was the UFC website and relaxed...

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

As someone who lived in Ottawa for 12 years, I'm real sad I can't make it to this event. It's happening within a kilometer of where I used to live and work :(

If anyone is going and needs a bar, go across the bridge and hit up Quinn's I used to work there and they're good people.

Also Ottawa's CFL team is now the Redblacks, because naming 2 teams the Rough Riders is stupid.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Jesus Christ Lansdowne looks a lot different than it did in 2010

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://vid.me/Pzdu

https://vid.me/EkCL

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

how the gently caress is he so fast and why have i never heard of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Thank you for your service op