Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
It's that time of year again, the dreaded offseason. Can you channel your inner Brian Burke and draft a truculent team or throw darts a board like Jim Benning. The choice is yours!

OP From Round 3. Fantasy Draft ROUND TWO THREE FOUR!

30 goons, first come first serve. You pick your team and act as its drafting GM.

This is a fantasy draft in which we are drafting hockeymans teams from all current players who are the property of an NHL team. Each GM can draft any kind of team they'd like: from a cap team that wants to win it all this year, to a cellar dweller that's building through the draft.

Prospects playing in leagues other than the NHL ARE ELIGIBLE if they are the property of an NHL team.

The draft order will be snaking and randomly chosen, and as players are picked, the picks will be stored in a google spreadsheet. This requires research behind each pick, really. I mean it's a lot harder than it seems, especially when you reach the later rounds. You can pick ANYBODY (within the rules). It's demanding, but it's also a ton of fun. Keep this in mind - this is all just supposed to be good fun.

What makes this fun? With each pick, you will explain your pick. Why did you choose this player and what kind of team are you trying to build? And after each pick, we're all free to rag on you for picking Matt Stajan to be your second-line center, or for deciding that no goalie should make more than a million bucks and signing Chad Johnson to be your starter.

RULES

1. Again, only players that are "property" of an NHL team are allowed to be drafted. They can be playing in any league in the world, as long as a team owns their rights. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk that they go to the KHL or retire. Be warned. Prospects who have not signed ELCs will be counted as a max contract against the cap.

2. We are drafting based on the 2016/2017 NHL salary cap of $74 million (tentatively). Both minimum and maximum salary cap rules apply. A player's contract including both salary and term is based on their 2016/2017 contract. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk of them signing for far more than you expected.

3. You've got 2 hours to make your pick BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 10AM EST and 10PM EST*. If you miss it, the next person is up. You can then come back and make your pick at your earliest convenience. There will only be autopicking if you're wayyyy behind. If you think (or know) you'll miss your 2 hours you can always send your list, usually a pick with 2 or 3 alternates, to someone to pick for you

*it carries over. If the last pick is at 9pm EST, the next pick is due at 11am EST.

4. You must, to some degree, explain your pick to keep everyone involved and encourage discussion.

5. We are picking 23 players plus 1 head coach. Abide by general roster rules, you'll need two goalies, twelve forwards, and six defensemen, at the least. There are no restrictions on what types of players you may pick.

6. Don't make white noise posts who you're going to pick later on, or who other people are going to pick, or who hasn't been picked (or if you do, do a 'I can't believe Manny Murderer is still available' post), but don't worry about naming guys who haven't been picked in the context of a discussion about guys who have been. (Don't be a dick, don't name undrafted guys just to name them. If we find that this rule doesn't work we go back to the DON'T TALK ABOUT GUYS rule.)

7. BE COMMITTED. PLEASE. If you don't think you're going to be able to do this thing (it's long-winded and daunting), be a bystander. Please.

8. Any other rules or ideas you guys have before we start, bring them up here. But now is the time to sign up!

TEAMS

EAST

Toronto Maple Leafs - Boomer The Cannon
Ottawa Senators - The RECAPITATOR
Montreal Canadiens - stab
Buffalo Sabres - Starsfan tofes
Boston Bruins - Veskit
Florida Panthers - Aye Doc
Tampa Bay Lightning - mentholmoose
Carolina Hurricanes - Jordan7hm
Washington Capitals - the talent deficit
New Jersey Devils - T-Bone
Pittsburgh Penguins - Ginette Reno
Philadelphia Flyers - Infidel Castro
New York Islanders - Menamino
New York Rangers - Otis Reddit
Columbus Blue Jackets - ThinkTank
Detroit Red Wings - VJeff

WEST

Winnipeg Jets - possibly Habibi
Nashville Predators - Technetium
Chicago Blackhawks - FBS
St. Louis Blues - eXXon
Calgary Flames - Furnaceface
Colorado Avalanche - Metapod
Minnesota Wild - lazerwolf
Vancouver Canucks - Paulocaust
Edmonton Oilers - Yaya
Anaheim Ducks - Flyinglemur
Dallas Stars - JoelJoel
Los Angels Kings - i am the bird
San José Sharks - Dandy Kaiser
Arizona Coyotes - Good Soldier Svejk

Here is last years spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18GPrsdczGD_5Ltddnu9_1hi08ICYdqW-VYet7m12gdw/edit

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Draft Order

FIRST PICK WEDNESDAY JULY 6TH AT 10 AM

1. Detroit Red Wings - VJeff
2. Los Angels Kings - i am the bird
3. Philadelphia Flyers - Infidel Castro
4. San José Sharks - Dandy Kaiser
5. Edmonton Oilers - Yaya
6. Dallas Stars - JoelJoel
7. St. Louis Blues - eXXon New York Islanders - Menamino swap
8. Buffalo Sabres - tofes
9. Calgary Flames - Furnaceface
10. Florida Panthers - Aye Doc
11. Tampa Bay Lightning - mentholmoose
12. Arizona Coyotes - Good Soldier Svejk
13. Anaheim Ducks - Flyinglemur
14. Toronto Maple Leafs - Boomer The Cannon
15. New York Rangers - Otis Reddit
16. Ottawa Senators - The RECAPITATOR
17. Columbus Blue Jackets - ThinkTank
18. Vancouver Canucks - Paulocaust
19. Montreal Canadiens - stab
20. Chicago Blackhawks - FBS
21. Pittsburgh Penguins - Ginette Reno
22. Colorado Avalanche - Metapod
23. Nashville Predators - Technetium
24. Minnesota Wild - lazerwolf
25. New York Islanders - Menamino St. Louis Blues - eXXon swap
26. Winnipeg Jets - possibly Habibi
27. Boston Bruins - Veskit
28. Carolina Hurricanes - Jordan7hm
29. Washington Capitals - the talent deficit
30. New Jersey Devils - T-Bone

This year's spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAL3-EVziJcfWq-CTtAQETjt5AFZCGFXdOc8PpsFR4/edit?usp=sharing

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 6, 2016

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'll be the Florida Panthers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll be Columbus again.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'll do the Isles again

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars.

E: oh, and dibs on Benn.

E2: and I won't be vacationed into picking Phil 3rd or whatever overall this year (because he's obviously going first)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

E2: and I won't be vacationed into picking Phil 3rd or whatever overall this year (because he's obviously going first)

I vote we split up Phil's goals and assists like Gretzky in the 80s, just to keep things fair.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
in as the Habs again. time to make them the Flyers defense again

and score allllll the goals

and lets all laugh at Tyler Johnson being a top 10 pick again shall we?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Make Carolina Great Again.

I'll take the Hurricanes.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

For the first time ever I beat mentholmoose to the thread and thus claim my beloved Flyers.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Give me the Maple Leafs.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'll play, as the Buffalo Sabres once again.

Though if someone else wants the Sabres I'll pick another open team to help this thing fill up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Devils for a proper tank

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Oh no one's claimed the Mapl-

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Give me the Maple Leafs.

you son of a bitch

I'll ride again as the Perdators and pick Tyler Johnson 1st overall thanks in advance.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

I'll play, as the Buffalo Sabres once again.

Though if someone else wants the Sabres I'll pick another open team to help this thing fill up.

No one wants the sabres.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Detroit Red Wings let's go.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hey gently caress off taking my teams. I'll have the Blues.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Suppose I'll Rutherford up the Penguins

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I had a thought last year of maybe trying out a fixed schedule, everyone would be assigned a window of when to post their pick. Takes the guesswork out of knowing when you'll be up

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
This looks fun, can i be the Bruins?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

I had a thought last year of maybe trying out a fixed schedule, everyone would be assigned a window of when to post their pick. Takes the guesswork out of knowing when you'll be up

I want my window to be at 4:20 PM

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I only just found the thread, but I absolutely love doing these sort of things. Can I take the Lightning if they're still available?

Infidel Castro posted:

For the first time ever I beat mentholmoose to the thread and thus claim my beloved Flyers.

Yo. Let's fight about it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
no one cares about the west

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in, but Boomer should relenquish the Leafs to me because I've had them since the first post of the first thread. Otherwise give me the shittiest team left.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'll take Winnipeg. Good to see an idea I started still going strong!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Technetium posted:

I want my window to be at 4:20 PM

how about 69:00

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

Come on that's not a real time. What about 6:90pm?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

mentholmoose posted:

I only just found the thread, but I absolutely love doing these sort of things. Can I take the Lightning if they're still available?

Yo. Let's fight about it.

Don't worry, I promise to take good care of our dumb gay hockey team.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

4:20:69

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Paulocaust posted:

I'm in, but Boomer should relenquish the Leafs to me because I've had them since the first post of the first thread. Otherwise give me the shittiest team left.

I'll tentatively put you on the Canucks for now.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Paulocaust posted:

This but give the Leafs to me so I can Nonis them up real good

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

I want las vegas

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We're still missing a bunch of people. Is this going ahead?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Thats a lot of teams to autodraft..........considering how well that went last time.

I imagine we have at least until July 2nd to get things rolling?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Technetium posted:

Thats a lot of teams to autodraft..........considering how well that went last time.

I imagine we have at least until July 2nd to get things rolling?

Yeah let's try to start in July. Tell your friends!

tofes posted:

I want las vegas

Next year sure! How about the beloved Ducks!?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
just keep spamming all the NHL threads it works

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I want to make the Coyotes great, and I think that's the least likely team to be stepping on someone's toes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'll take the Ducks

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm sad somebody took the Canucks so I'll take the next worst thing in the Edmonton Oilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I be Rangers

• Locked thread