Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

spud posted:

I would pay $10 to watch the next season of house of cards, but I wouldn't use Netflix for anything else.

That works too. You can keep it for just a month or two, then shelve it for another year until some new content comes around. I've done that a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Speaking of netflix, what's the deal with Orange is the New Black having a full 75 second credit intro? It's netflix, they should know that nobody wants to watch more than 10 seconds intro before the show. It's not even a good song.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

never trust an elf posted:

I used Netflix when I was in Costa Rica recently and it had all of the lotr and back to the future
Costa Rican Netflix is loving amazing. I guess it's to make up for living in a third world jungle.

Windows 98 posted:

If you pay for anything you are a loving chump
You bought a plex pass tho???

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

TK-42-1 posted:

You bought a plex pass tho???

Plex is free. Only the client apps cost money. You can use your web browser as the client without an app, though.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Muttonchips posted:

That's still really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really stupid.

Yes but if you don't use Hulu on principle because of it then you're also really stupid. Not saying you're saying that but there's definitely people in this thread who are.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Marta Velasquez posted:

Plex is free. Only the client apps cost money. You can use your web browser as the client without an app, though.

Oh right. I bought it for offline sync. For whatever reason I thought remote viewing was part of that.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
https://www.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
every time i go on netflix for something, they dont have it

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

i use salts and phoenix but i'm ascared of exodus because i heard it uses p2p and i don't want to go to internet jail :ohdear:

e: and i don't want to bother with a vpn because i don't really know how to use one

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Relin posted:

every time i go on netflix for something, they dont have it

I kept thinking to myself "you know, I actually want to watch x, they probably have it on Netflix" only to be disappointed

Considering this was the only thing I really had Netflix for I eventually stopped justifying it to myself and cancelled it

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I also have to deal with the lovely "No US VPN" version of UK netflix, so that probably contributed

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

kindermord posted:

i use salts and phoenix but i'm ascared of exodus because i heard it uses p2p and i don't want to go to internet jail :ohdear:

e: and i don't want to bother with a vpn because i don't really know how to use one

exodus uses links from from hosting services just like every other plugin. its pretty much my first choice when looking for something to watch. them hd gvideo links are the poo poo.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Denim Dude posted:

exodus uses links from from hosting services just like every other plugin. its pretty much my first choice when looking for something to watch. them hd gvideo links are the poo poo.

do you use it with a vpn though?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Muttonchips posted:

7.99 a month was bad enough, but 9.99? SERIOUSLY? That's comes out to almost $120 dollars a year! And for what?

For a bunch of subpar crap tier shows that nobody watches anyway? No thank you. I'm looking around. A bunch of cartoons that finished in 2015. A bunch of original movies which are awful just god awful. The one with Ricky Gervais was terrible. The one with Adam Sandler was awful. Terrible stand up comics. Quality has been taking a dive for the worse and I'm bailing out.

There are tons of better alternatives.

For example if I get Amazon Prime I can just pay $99 a year and I get fast shipping on TOP of that.

Sorry Mark Zuckerberg but your greed was one penny too much. No thank you. And good-bye.

I did this a couple years ago. Prime is pretty awesome. Had it even before the free streaming, just for the shipping.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

kindermord posted:

do you use it with a vpn though?

nope.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Neither do I

I even pay €4 a month on realdebrid for those tasty 1080p streams

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

$9 a month (maybe going up to $10 for me later, not sure?) for Netflix seems like a good deal. I used it to replace cable and it's just peachy. I use my parent's cable login to watch sports stuff, but if I didn't have that there are other ways to get those.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Prime used to have Nathan For You and I just found out yesterday they don't have it anymore, like what's the fuckin point now

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
Top tip: If you can't afford TV, just peep through the neighbour's windows. You don't get to choose what you watch but it's all free, plus you get that edge of your seat feeling, whatever you watch!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

vols bitch posted:

i have netflix, prime, & cable

its cool having money

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

City of Tampa posted:

you don;t want to watch the pregnant Asian lady do stand up?

She's less funny that a pregnant Asian lady making a point to not do stand up.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
one of my coworkers is really proud that he doesnt pay for cable anymore.

but he has hulu (95 yr), amazon prime (100 yr), netflix (120 yr), and every premium sports experience (league pass, mlb tv) which is probably $200 a year or something like that. plus $75/mo for internet. that comes out to about 1415$ a year. he is always begging people for their cable credentials so he can log in and watch something that requires a subscription too.

my comcast internet + cable tv package that includes HBO and a bunch of sports stuff that allows me to watch every local NFL, NBA, and MLB game i care about costs $120/mo (sometimes I can call and bitch and they put me on a promo that cuts it to like $99/mo or $1188 a year until it expires) or 1440 a year.

granted, i pay for amazon prime too mostly just to get shipping. i don't need the sports stuff because i can watch everything on my xfinity package (there would be blackouts for the local teams i care about anyway on MLB and NBA's offerings). i share a netflix account with my family so i dont have to pay for that in the event they have an exclusive they want to watch. the xfinity on demand library pretty much bests netflix and amazon prime anyway.

cord cutting is dumb as gently caress. it's only a matter of time before traditional cable companies are forced to go all digital and do a la carte packaging anyways. until then, might as well just keep cable unless you really only need one subscription service.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 18, 2016

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

thathonkey posted:

but he has hulu (95 yr), amazon prime (100 yr), netflix (120 yr), and every premium sports experience (league pass, mlb tv) which is probably $200 a year or something like that. plus $75/mo for internet. that comes out to about 1415$ a year. he is always begging people for their cable credentials so he can log in and watch something that requires a subscription too.

my comcast internet + cable tv package that includes HBO and a bunch of sports stuff that allows me to watch every local NFL, NBA, and MLB game i care about costs $120/mo (sometimes I can call and bitch and they put me on a promo that cuts it to like $99/mo or $1188 a year until it expires) or 1440 a year.

granted, i pay for amazon prime too mostly just to get shipping. i don't need the sports stuff because i can watch everything on my xfinity package (there would be blackouts for the local teams i care about anyway on MLB and NBA's offerings). i share a netflix account with my family so i dont have to pay for that in the event they have an exclusive they want to watch. the xfinity on demand library pretty much bests netflix and amazon prime anyway.

cord cutting is dumb as gently caress. it's only a matter of time before traditional cable companies are forced to go all digital and do a la carte packaging anyways. until then, might as well just keep cable unless you really only need one subscription service.

you should be a good co worker and tell him get a fire stick. then link him to this http://jocala.com/ then link him to this https://kodi.tv/ and then link him to this https://www.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/

then if he can't figure it out you can laugh at him for being a retard.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I have Netflix and just go to putlocker sites for anything else that I need.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

thathonkey posted:

cord cutting is dumb as gently caress.

I don't see how that argument is plausible when millions of people do it and seem quite content. Your coworker seems to be clouding your judgement, most people I know don't have cable anymore, pay for one of Netflix/Hulu/Prime and love it. I would go as far as to say that if you don't like sports and make an average or below amount of money (a poo poo ton of people) then you would be stupid to not drop cable.

But that's quite enough of serious cable discussion for me!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't see how that argument is plausible when millions of people do it and seem quite content. Your coworker seems to be clouding your judgement, most people I know don't have cable anymore, pay for one of Netflix/Hulu/Prime and love it. I would go as far as to say that if you don't like sports and make an average or below amount of money (a poo poo ton of people) then you would be stupid to not drop cable.

But that's quite enough of serious cable discussion for me!

Comcast, at least where I live, does not let you buy anything but the slowest internet connection unless you bundle a cable package with it. So if you want fast internet, you can't cut cable. Fucks!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pawn 17 posted:

Comcast, at least where I live, does not let you buy anything but the slowest internet connection unless you bundle a cable package with it. So if you want fast internet, you can't cut cable. Fucks!

Well, that's dickishly smart of them I suppose.

I have just the standard Comcast internet right now ($30 a month for one year) and it seems to work just fine for all of my needs, but I would be pretty pissed if I needed better internet and had to get cable to get it. :argh:

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Pawn 17 posted:

Where the hell do you live? Sounds terrible

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

thathonkey posted:

You watch too much poo poo.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

Worldshatter posted:

I kept thinking to myself "you know, I actually want to watch x, they probably have it on Netflix" only to be disappointed

Considering this was the only thing I really had Netflix for I eventually stopped justifying it to myself and cancelled it

Same.

What's worse is that the alternatives Netflix offers for the movies you want to watch are terrible.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

You watch too much poo poo.

I watch hbo and all the major sports i know this is hard to comprehend for the avg autistic mind of a goon

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Cord cutting made a lot more sense about 6 years ago when Netflix included DVDs, people posted a ton of full movies and TV shows on Youtube, a lot (all?) of Hulu's content was free, and internet was about $20-30 a month for high enough speeds to take care of it.

But my internet has increased in price to about $20 more a month for what most people would consider a 'slow' connection with really no viable cheaper options outside a contract period that will eventually end and I'll be right back where I started, Netflix with DVDs is a separate service, a lot of Hulu content is now paid content, DMCA stuff has gotten stuff pulled from Youtube, etc.

There's also been a major fracturing of the streaming media stuff, too. There's a huge amount of overlap between Amazon, Hulu and Netflix, but who has the best selection at any given time is up for debate, but they have just enough unique stuff to make wanting to get all of them an issue while none of them feel like they're as good as Netflix was about 1/2 dozen years ago. If not for the fact that I can't drop Netflix, I'd just drop replace it out and out with Hulu and Amazon. There's more stuff on Hulu that I'm interested in than Netflix at this moment, and Amazon seems to swing back and forth between a ton of really interesting content and a few really big movies and little else.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A lot of streaming stuff and internet also benefits families more than individuals, too. I know people with huge cable TV packages that still have to have all the extra streaming services, too.

A family of four where every single person is online doing stuff at any hour of the day is REALLY getting their money's worth out of cable, internet, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon if they have all of them. You live by yourself, you're pretty much paying the same price but only getting 1/4 the use out of it if you have all of them.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
If I have xfinity do I even need netflix?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I also forgot to say, since I don't have cable, when I don't feel like picking a show on netflix I end up just looking through the local antenna channels. The over night I ended up watching this episode of the Dick Cavett Show from 1979 that had Hank Aaron, Leo Durocher, and Mickey Mantle. It was the sort of random thing that's only on antenna tv and I never would have found it if I had cable.

Sometimes those weird channels that everyone makes fun of are actually the bee's knees!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

SERPUS posted:

If I have xfinity do I even need netflix?

only if you want to watch netflix originals. trust me you aren't mising much. they're 99% garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Netflix originals are actually some of the most refreshing and dynamic scripted television on any TV that you can watch today. They are bastions of new and heady ideas, well acted and well constructed. Thank you God bless Namaste

• Locked thread