Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Day the Clown Cried is an unreleased 1972 American drama film directed by and starring Jerry Lewis. It is based on a script of the same name by Joan O'Brien, who had co-written the original script with Charles Denton ten years previously.

Lewis plays a clown who entertains concentration camp children as he leads them to the gas chamber.

Lewis said he will never release it.

Somehow 30 minutes of it is now out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9zy-VQLL9I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
what is that link to.

i am not clicking that

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

that man shouldn't be in blackface like that. it's racist

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

who the hell thought this was a good idea

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is this the plot of the new Producers

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
It'll get released. He bequeathed a copy somewhere but said they couldn't show it until 2026 or 2036 one of the two I'm too lazy to look it up.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
no seriously what is that link to, is it goatsy or rick astly or what

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
the flower on his lapel squirts out clouds of deadly Zyklon B

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Day the Clown Cried is an unreleased 1972 American drama film directed by and starring Jerry Lewis. It is based on a script of the same name by Joan O'Brien, who had co-written the original script with Charles Denton ten years previously.

Lewis plays a clown who entertains concentration camp children as he leads them to the gas chamber.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

JiveHonky posted:

its a duck wearing socks

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Defiance posted:

the flower on his lapel squirts out clouds of deadly Zyklon B

And if you honk his nose, you get the entirety of the Horst Wessel song.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
The italian guy who made the concentration camp comedy that got all the Oscars, was that the same script, or different?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Thanks now I don't even need a gift for my dad on Father's Day - I'm gonna be a star regardless for linking him to this true rarity of a lost cinematic blunder. This is a gem, Mr. Ice Cream Glove, a gem! :jerry:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

JiveHonky posted:

It's a boring 30 minute video of a world where everyone is pretty scruffy and there's no screens, and sometimes they're in a dark room with a couple of spotlights for some reason

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

reallivedinosaur posted:

The italian guy who made the concentration camp comedy that got all the Oscars, was that the same script, or different?

Different, this one he's a washed-up clown that finds an audience/purpose by clowning for Jewish children on the other side of the prison fence. He stays to entertain them before they're shipped to Auschwitz , but accidentally gets locked in with them. The Nazis ask to lead the kids to the gas chamber so they won't make a fuss, since they like him and trust him. He does so, but at the last second, decides he can't abandon 'his' kids and goes in with them.

Life Is Beautiful has a man and his son in the camps, and he sets it all up as a game so his son won't be scared, like hiding and being quiet gets more points, but not doing work gets you less. He makes excuses like childrens' numbers in the camp dwindling because 'oh they're hiding, because they want to beat your score!' and they can't leave because 'they almost have enough points to win!' and the guards are nasty because 'they're jealous and want the prize'. His son sees him as he's being taken away for execution, so he starts dancing/goofing off as he's led out of view to keep the illusion up.

So aside from 'pretend like everything's fine to little kids in a certain death situation', they don't really have much in common.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a lot of slavs died in the holocaust too

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's only because I've seen infinitely schmatzier movies about the holocaust but this isn't anywhere near as bad as the stories made it out to be

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
jerry lewis still had some weight to throw around in those days. if he really didn't want it to ever be seen, he'd have had it destroyed

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jerry Lewis should release it as a midnight movie so hipsters can flock to see it like The Room and Troll 2.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
would make a good episodic sitcom if they didnt kill him off in the first episode

anyways im not shocked that this did nazi a release

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Sad! I don't care. Why are you telling us this? Literally no one cares. People in this thread are just pretending that they like it. They don't like it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

resting bort face posted:

Maybe it's only because I've seen infinitely schmatzier movies about the holocaust but this isn't anywhere near as bad as the stories made it out to be

yeah, a jewish comedian made a serious drama about the holocaust from an entertainer's perspective that wasn't very good, so what

there are blingee'd pictures of Auschwitz more offensive than this

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, jerry lewis is still alive?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

LadyPictureShow posted:

Different, this one he's a washed-up clown that finds an audience/purpose by clowning for Jewish children on the other side of the prison fence. He stays to entertain them before they're shipped to Auschwitz , but accidentally gets locked in with them. The Nazis ask to lead the kids to the gas chamber so they won't make a fuss, since they like him and trust him. He does so, but at the last second, decides he can't abandon 'his' kids and goes in with them.

Life Is Beautiful has a man and his son in the camps, and he sets it all up as a game so his son won't be scared, like hiding and being quiet gets more points, but not doing work gets you less. He makes excuses like childrens' numbers in the camp dwindling because 'oh they're hiding, because they want to beat your score!' and they can't leave because 'they almost have enough points to win!' and the guards are nasty because 'they're jealous and want the prize'. His son sees him as he's being taken away for execution, so he starts dancing/goofing off as he's led out of view to keep the illusion up.

So aside from 'pretend like everything's fine to little kids in a certain death situation', they don't really have much in common.

thanks for the summary, I really didn't want to have to watch two bummer dead kid movies to learn that

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Serious Frolicking posted:

yep he's 90

the simpsons should parody this movie with professor frink, that's a good enough episode idea

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

reallivedinosaur posted:

thanks for the summary, I really didn't want to have to watch two bummer dead kid movies to learn that

No prob.

Though, to be fair, in Life Is Beautiful, the kid survives. When the Americans roll up and liberate it, he comes out of hiding and the first thing he sees is a Sherman tank (IIRC, his dad had told him the 'prize' was a tank). The Americans let him ride on the tank, and who does he find among other refugees? His mom! Still a kinda bummer movie, but still gave a little hope at the end.

Speaking of 'bummer dead kid movies', there was one about Sonderkommandos at Auschwitz and they find a baby (I think it somehow survived the gas chamber and they found it while clearing the bodies?). They take it and try to hide it from the SS in the camp. I think David Arquette was in it? Anybody have any clue what movie I'm thinking of?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

LadyPictureShow posted:

This is the saddest thing

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

it wasn't that sad really

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, Dick van Dyke too

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
When I was maybe 6 I saw the original nutty professor and thought Jerry Lewis was funny

So then I rented King of Comedy at the movie store because I figured it was going to be really super hilarious. It's got Jerry Lewis and the movie is called King of Comedy, after all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The King of Comedy is awesome. It's basically Taxi Driver 2 except it's a dark comedy.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

jerry lewis has never been funny

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Egbert Souse posted:

The King of Comedy is awesome. It's basically Taxi Driver 2 except it's a dark comedy.

:agreed:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Didn't you make this exact thread a few months ago?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

although i just did hear norman lear tell a story on a podcast where it was his birthday and jerry lewis invited him up to his hotel suite and when he opened the door jerry was sitting there bareass naked with a boner and a lit birthday candle in his p-hole

so i guess he was funny one time

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

although i just did hear norman lear tell a story on a podcast where it was his birthday and jerry lewis invited him up to his hotel suite and when he opened the door jerry was sitting there bareass naked with a boner and a lit birthday candle in his p-hole

lmbo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

hahaha

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Heeeeeeey Laaaaaaaaadies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Dr. Frink, Dr. Mengele. Dr. Mengele, Dr. Frink.

• Locked thread