Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GT Special
May 25, 2009
Third gen best gen baby

So where do I begin? Ever since I was 15 I loved third gen f-bodies. I mean, what's not to love? they were heavy, slow, had poor handling, cheap interiors and abysmal quality control :v:. 10 years later and I own my third one, but first lets go back to my first car, a 1984 firebird.

2.8 carb'd V6, automatic with a blue interior. Paid 300$ for it at an insurance auction thinking it only needed a door and fender. Hahahaha yea... within the first two weeks of owning it I started finding more bondo then metal on the car. Hey I was only 15, I had no idea what to look for in cars. Needless to say, it never got on the road, but I still tinkered on it and just like that, I was hooked on these cars.

Next one I bought was a 1989 Firebird

Base model bird. 2.8v6 with a 5 speed manual. Bought it for $1200. It had a paintjob with 5 different shades of poo poo red (and later on got the blue rear bumper and spoiler from the first bird). Previous owner was a welder, so he welded in a new rear quarter and rockers, but did a piss poor job of it. Not a single part of the car looked straight, but I didn't care. I was 16, just got my license, and boy I drove the poo poo out of that car despite how bad it was. The steering was shot, suspension was trashed, exhaust was rotten and falling apart (so it sounded just nasty), passenger side window didnt roll down for the longest time, and the car would need 10 seconds of cranking to start if the motor was warm. But drat did I love that car, and to this day I still miss it.

After getting rid of the red one, I went a few years without a thirdgen, and things just weren't the same. I wanted another one. I needed another one. One kijiji impulse buy later got me my current POS f-body, a 1982 Trans Am

305 V8, automatic and t-tops. This badboy costed me $2100 back in 2012. when I got it, It had a blown transmission, rusted out exhaust, a motor that barely ran, a completely trashed interior, electrical gremlins, and a list full of PO fuckery. The positives though, is that its rust free (for Canada), with a new(ish) paint job. Back then, I didn't really have the time, space, or money to get it fixed properly, so for the past 4 years I've been slowly taking my time with it, fixing what I can, when I can. Some of the major jobs that happened over those 4 years:

-Pulled out the incredibly weak and blown 200c, and put in a th350 with a slightly higher stall
-Replaced the damaged LCA's and panhard bar in the rear with aftermarket tubular ones
-Pulled the complete exhaust out and installed a set of hooker headers with a 3" catback
-Replaced almost the entire interior of the car. found good panels and dyed them, installed new carpet, ripped out the charcoal dash and put a black one in, fixed tons of electrical gremlins
-Got the motor and car running kinda decent, which required waaaaaay to many weekends of fixing PO electrical fuckery and dealing with just lovely GM designs
-Then got so sick and tired of wasting so much time on trying to keep the car original and getting the motor to run right that I ended up ripping out the intake and wiring and put a dual plane intake and holley carb on and never looked back

Which takes me to now. Might not seem like much over 4 years, but I only worked on the car on weekends during the summer (winter is way to cold up here). I bought this SA account years ago to make a thread, but I never took pictures so I never made one. But better late then never! I'm wrenching on the car more often now, and much better now at taking photos of my progress, so now you guys can follow along while I slowly fix up this mullet mobile!

And you might be asking, why did I put a holley and intake on? What exactly did I waste my time on before?

Motherfuckin Crossfire injection. What a horrible idea trying to keep this lovely archaic fuel injection system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How have you maintained so well for so long

Teach me your ways,

blk
Dec 19, 2009
"Michael, I have the weirdest boner right now..."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So what are your plans for that boat-anchor 305? The good news about that intake and carb is that you can use it on a real motor!    :v:   

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Whats up tran am buddy. I had an 84 five speed. Speeding ticket red. And all the 305 haters, anything more and the rear end explodes.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I still miss my thirdgen, even though it was a turd.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The first car i purchased was an 87 firebird. The guy gave me my money back when I sat down and the seats fell through the floor. Ever since then I have craved an 88 iroc. This thread is giving me desires that have laid dormant for years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've always had a completely irrational desire for a late 3rd gen. Preferably Firebird, preferably GTA, and preferably notchback OR Turbo V6 for extra rareness and coolness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The third gens are pretty respectable in terms of performance, even when stock.

Aren't the Turbo T/As like a million dollars now?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Human Grand Prix posted:

The third gens are pretty respectable in terms of performance, even when stock.

Aren't the Turbo T/As like a million dollars now?

42k for the best one 30 k for really good ones.

You bastards are making me consider spending 12k on a 1982 that has been restored to new by some rich moron now.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 19, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

You bastards are making me consider spending 12k on a 1982 that has been restored to new by some rich moron now.

Investing 12k, if that helps your decision making.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I mean it does have the proper vintage meats it will be the 80s again!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elephanthead posted:

Which makes me ill, because ten years ago they were sub 10k cars.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
gently caress those Barrett-Jackson hoarder cocksuckers! Make your own Turbo TA! Buick V6s from 4th gens / W-bodies are plentiful and gobble up the boost like that's it's job. A six speed with a "corporate" bellhousing and a posi round that out.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Firebird best bird.

One day I WILL own a black '02 WS6.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gileadexile posted:

Firebird best bird.

One day I WILL own a black '02 WS6.

Get out 1992 is the cutoff and the end of slow and classy.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

Get out 1992 is the cutoff and the end of slow and classy.

No arguments, my cousin had a great GTA with a custom screaming chicken done in that early '90s hypercolor stuff. Looking forward to awesome updates OP!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I need a second gen in order to realize the Tumblr, but a third gen would be a fine driver.

I had a neighbour last year for about three months that slammed a junkyard 350 into one of his three 3rd gens and then disappeared.

He has been replaced by a nice family with two identical Ford Escapes.

Come to think of it, there is another guy on the same street who had a black 3rd gen Trans Am who has just put up a "for sale" sign in front of his place. Perhaps there is some unknown force preventing F-bodies from taking root in my neighbourhood. I should investigate further.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's usually called an HOA or laws about junk cars in yards.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can assure you that there is nothing resembling an HOA in my neighbourhood. If anything, I am the HOA because I asked a neighbour why they didn't pick up a project C10 to fill up the empty space in their driveway.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm going to have to see if I have any pictures left of the '83 Camaro I had in '88-89. Painted Corvette gold. Z28 wheels. Carbureted V8 that couldn't get out of its own way, but still managed to lunch a 700R4. But it had t-tops, so all sins were forgiven.

Protip for third gen owners -- you can take the t-tops off and put the seat all the way forward so when you drive, your head is above the windshield frame. Yes, I was incredibly dumb in high school.

GT Special
May 25, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I'm going to have to see if I have any pictures left of the '83 Camaro I had in '88-89. Painted Corvette gold. Z28 wheels. Carbureted V8 that couldn't get out of its own way, but still managed to lunch a 700R4. But it had t-tops, so all sins were forgiven.

Find those pictures! Sounds 80's as gently caress would love to see it!

Elephanthead posted:

What's there to consider? Buying a thirdgen is never a bad decision. Never

DJCobol posted:

I still miss my thirdgen, even though it was a turd.

It's funny, almost everyone I've talked to that's owned a thirdgen at some point in there life talk about how they were kinda lovely cars, but then its always followed by a "But drat I miss that car" lol

Now for some updates!

First,

Raluek posted:

So what are your plans for that boat-anchor 305? The good news about that intake and carb is that you can use it on a real motor!    :v:   

I've been in the thirdgen scene long enough to know not to waste money on the 305. Sure you can build them to make power, but why bother? My plan is anything I put on or do to the 305 (aside from basic maintenance) must be transferable to a 350. Right now the motor runs smooth and pretty strong for what it is. It has the more desirable 305 heads, and with the full exhaust and intake it's pretty enjoyable to drive. Slow, but enjoyable. Over the course of this year I'll slowly be gathering parts for a 350 build, and hopefully a 350 swap will be next springs big job. I've already got a clean roller block from a 97? truck, just heads and accessories are left

So my big job this year is all new steering and suspension. Most of the steering was shot and suspension was pretty trashed to, so I figured gently caress it, do it all at once and be done with it. Most steering and suspension bits will be replaced with moog parts. Sticking with rubber bushing wherever there's bushings because this car will be more of a driver then anything else so poly seemed like overkill. Original plan was bilstein or koni struts in the front but holy poo poo they are god drat expensive. Like 500 a pair, and that's in American currency. With the can dollar exchange at 78 cents to the dollar, I went with the more affordable KYB agx. Not the best, but good enough for now.

So the car came out of storage, into the garage, and put up in its usual spot lol

(sorry for the quality, the settings were changed on my phone and the sun really messed up the pics)

My brother and I started tearing into the front end of the car. With him on the driver side of the car and me on the passenger, we tore through it quickly especially since we didn't have to worry about damaging anything. gently caress it, it's all getting replaced anyways. Only issue we ran into was 1 seized LCA bushing bolt. It was seized to the inner sleeve and of course its the hardest bolt out of all them to get to. After a lot of loving around with it, we cut the head off and pounded it out of the sleeve

After that we took the steering out as one big assembly. Unbolt the pitman arm, unbolt the idler arm, and it was done. Super easy. After that we're left with a stripped front end!

Next up, I will be cleaning up all the parts that are staying, doing some fuel line stuff since there's tons of room to work now, and other odd ball stuff. More to come!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

meatpimp posted:

Protip for third gen owners -- you can take the t-tops off and put the seat all the way forward so when you drive, your head is above the windshield frame. Yes, I was incredibly dumb in high school.

I literally have the seat all the way back and it makes for a perfect sun visor instead

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I can't remember what year they blocked it off, is your power bulge hood functional as air induction?

GT Special
May 25, 2009

gileadexile posted:

I can't remember what year they blocked it off, is your power bulge hood functional as air induction?

It was functional when the ecm was still hooked up. That flap opens up over half throttle. It doesn't work now, but I could easilly hook up a switch and just use that. Flap makes me nervous though, always seemed like an easy way to get water in the engine bay. 87 and up they were blocked off. I'm actually looking for one of those block off plates, so if anyone reading this has one or can get one, I'll pay you $$ for it lol

GT Special
May 25, 2009
Ooooooh boy I sure am terrible with updates. Work and life has been a little hectic lately but now I got loads more time on my hands which means more wrenching on the bird! Since I last posted I've been doing small things here and there, mainly just prep work and whatnot. First thing I did was pop the old balljoint out. Last time I drove the car it kinda felt like it was due for balljoints

Holy poo poo yea did it ever need new balljoints lol. Next up was to burn the bushings out and get the old bushing sleeves out. I'm not gonna lie, this was my first time ever doing this and I hosed it up heh. Burning the rubber out went fine, but the sleeves I messed up. First two sleeves I did with a little hacksaw. Worked great, just took forever. 3rd one I brought out the sawzall, using whatever blade was on it. That worked even better and quicker, but I thought "With a fresh blade, it'll be even MORE faster". Big Mistake. 3 seconds in with a fresh blade got me this

Welp. Off to a great start! I sent that arm off to a welder and he filled the gaps up with weld and I went and carefully grinded and smoothed the weld down where the sleeve presses in. I think next time I'll just get old bushings pressed out. After that fiasco, I went ahead and started cleaning all the metal parts I took off. This is a Canadian car, and although the body and frame are pretty much rust free, the suspension and steering parts are definitely not. Got all the pieces together, bought a few different wire wheels for the grinder and went to town. Started with this

After 10 mins wire wheeling it was looking like this

Rinse repeat for a bunch of different components. Once they were all wire wheeled they were cleaned and ready for paint. Original plan was to spray bomb em, but I figured pieces like these would be perfect for a product like por15. I usually don't use por15, but that shits pretty tough and would definitely last longer then spray paint. So I went to my local bodyshop and picked up KBS coatings starter kit. Pretty much the same crap as por15, just different name. So I used the back of the dirty ole f150 as my prep/paint workzone

brushed on 2 coats and ended up with this

Pretty happy with the results. Yea you can see brush marks but who cares, I'll never see these parts once there back on the car. After this I sent the arms out to get new bushings and balljoints pressed but I don't have pics of that.

With that done, up next is cleaning the wheel wells!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I've always had a completely irrational desire for a late 3rd gen. Preferably Firebird, preferably GTA, and preferably notchback OR Turbo V6 for extra rareness and coolness.

Ooh, now this I like. I always liked the Firebird front ends and the Camaro's tail on this generation, but this is even better.

GT Special
May 25, 2009
Update time! So with the entire front end out of the car, I had no excuse to not clean up the wheel wells. The factory undercoating was peeling off and the seam seal was coming off in chunks. So armed with a grinder, and a pack of wire wheels, I went to work. They started off looking like this

After at least a few hours they cleaned up to this

Wire wheel on a grinder worked really well I found. For the tough to reach spots I used a grinder with a small wire wheel. Worked great. I brought the seams down to bare metal, everywhere else I stripped down to factory paint. A heads up to anyone thinking of doing this, it is not a fun job, nor a clean one

And that was only 20 minutes in. Face shield/dust mask/safety glasses a definite must doing a job like this. At the end I was covered in black dust and had pieces of wire wheel stuck all over my body. After giving everything a thorough cleaning and a final wipe with acetone, I applied fresh seam sealer on all the seams. Let it cure for a couple days then hit it all with undercoat.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I didn't bother stripping/cleaning/painting the parts covered by the wheel well liner cause it was all still intact and in good shape, and well, I'll never see it. It always bugged me how lovely the wheel wells looked on the car whenever it was all cleaned up. This will really make a difference I think.

COMING UP NEXT

Parts will start going back on the car! Rusty brake components will be replaced with shiny new pieces! And I'll fix my completely botched, lovely, surprised-it-hasn't-made-the-car-burn-to-the-ground-yet fuel system!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How have I not seen this thread before?

I realize the fourth gen, especially the LS1 cars, is objectively better. But the late third gen is definitely better looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GT Special posted:

Update time! So with the entire front end out of the car, I had no excuse to not clean up the wheel wells. The factory undercoating was peeling off and the seam seal was coming off in chunks. So armed with a grinder, and a pack of wire wheels, I went to work. They started off looking like this

After at least a few hours they cleaned up to this

Wire wheel on a grinder worked really well I found. For the tough to reach spots I used a grinder with a small wire wheel. Worked great. I brought the seams down to bare metal, everywhere else I stripped down to factory paint. A heads up to anyone thinking of doing this, it is not a fun job, nor a clean one

And that was only 20 minutes in. Face shield/dust mask/safety glasses a definite must doing a job like this. At the end I was covered in black dust and had pieces of wire wheel stuck all over my body. After giving everything a thorough cleaning and a final wipe with acetone, I applied fresh seam sealer on all the seams. Let it cure for a couple days then hit it all with undercoat.

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I didn't bother stripping/cleaning/painting the parts covered by the wheel well liner cause it was all still intact and in good shape, and well, I'll never see it. It always bugged me how lovely the wheel wells looked on the car whenever it was all cleaned up. This will really make a difference I think.

COMING UP NEXT

Parts will start going back on the car! Rusty brake components will be replaced with shiny new pieces! And I'll fix my completely botched, lovely, surprised-it-hasn't-made-the-car-burn-to-the-ground-yet fuel system!

Did the same exact thing on my Nova. Messy as all gently caress but it looks great once you get the paint on. I totally forgot about this thread. I'll have to go catch up :toot:.

• Locked thread