Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

In which we meet Char

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I don't know how long the look at Original Mode will be. As adorable as the story of Original Mode is, it's not nearly as well designed as the Official Mode, and it plays more like a traditional DW game.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I thought all those gen one (?) mobile suits were powered by unstable reactors that cause a nuclear explostion when they get hosed up? :confused:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I don't know how long the look at Original Mode will be. As adorable as the story of Original Mode is, it's not nearly as well designed as the Official Mode, and it plays more like a traditional DW game.

Maybe just make a montage of the cutscenes with some occasional gameplay footage?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

I thought all those gen one (?) mobile suits were powered by unstable reactors that cause a nuclear explostion when they get hosed up? :confused:

I don't recall that much, sorry. If they do, maybe it's a really tiny nuclear explosion.

VolticSurge posted:

Maybe just make a montage of the cutscenes with some occasional gameplay footage?

That might work if I can frame it right.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah, Gundam has always been inconsistent regarding reactors. In 08th MS Team,they show concern of risking a reactor breach,preferring to take a cockpit or engine shot. In other shows,like Zeta,they explode all the time and no one shows concern.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, Gundam has always been inconsistent regarding reactors. In 08th MS Team,they show concern of risking a reactor breach,preferring to take a cockpit or engine shot. In other shows,like Zeta,they explode all the time and no one shows concern.

My reaction "wow, those are really lovely reactors." Course I'm a nerd who knows that reactors don't explode like that. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, it's odd to see a game where Char doesn't start with his signature Zaku. I get why, but still, it's weird.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, it's odd to see a game where Char doesn't start with his signature Zaku. I get why, but still, it's weird.

I thought his signature MS was the Gelgoog.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Like I said before, whoever hired these VAs to do the voice work deserves all the praise in the world. Char's voice is properly smug and smarmy and oh god I just love it. It's just a shame that DW:G 1 doesn't cover Char's Counterattack and Unicorn, because then we'd have Char and Full Frontal trying to out-smug each other.

Blaze Dragon posted:

For me, it's not that bad. It makes sense. It's a game for Gundam fans. It assumes you're already familiar with the lore.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I thought his signature MS was the Gelgoog.

Lugey wasn't till later on. Besides, Char's Zaku II is more iconic and readily recognizable than his Gelgoog.

AradoBalanga posted:

A bunch of the VAs are the original English dub actors (Amuro is Brad Swaile, who voiced him in the original series and Char's Counterattack). There are definitely some that are new people hired to replace original dub actors (Mark Gatha, Domon's original VA, retired to be a pediatrician and does not voice him here) or voice the character for the first time in English period, such as the ZZ Gundam and Turn-A characters.

Which is why it's such a drat shame that we didn't get an English dub for Reborn. It would've been so much better if we had this perfect amount of campy cheese to consume!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

My reaction "wow, those are really lovely reactors." Course I'm a nerd who knows that reactors don't explode like that. :v:
Hey, sometimes you just need to Stackpole some poor fucker properly and that means that realism needs to sit down in the corner and shut the hell up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Reactors have been weird in Gundam. Sometimes nuclear, sometimes batteries, sometimes both and then retconed to be one and then re-retconned back to both. It's best not to worry too much about it.

Regarding Original Mode, it might be better to just focus on one of the stories in its entirety, and then throw in the occasional cutscene or two from the other stories as bonus content.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The LP got me to set my PS3 back up so I could play DW:G 2. And also to try and watch some classic Gundam (Original and Zeta). Good lord they were bad.

Gonna watch some sweet G Gundam tonight to make up for that.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Oh my god this game. I one hundred percented the 360 version, got 1000 gamerscore for it and everything. That was the first and last time I've ever done and (probably) ever will do that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fanzay posted:

Oh my god this game. I one hundred percented the 360 version, got 1000 gamerscore for it and everything. That was the first and last time I've ever done and (probably) ever will do that.

You are a brave person. That's at least sixty hours of gameplay.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I like this video game guys

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I have always loved the Dynasty Warrior games though I only started with 4, simple game play but it was enjoyable especially co-op in 4 which me and my brother used to do all the time. Playing this game was doubly fun for me being a fan of the game style and of Gundam itself. Thanks for showing the game off seeing as I don't have any consoles anymore. Hope you have fun showing us the games.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

"An ambush? We're surrounded."

...No you're not, you're in space, its pretty much impossible to surround something in space.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

koolkevz666 posted:

I have always loved the Dynasty Warrior games though I only started with 4, simple game play but it was enjoyable especially co-op in 4 which me and my brother used to do all the time. Playing this game was doubly fun for me being a fan of the game style and of Gundam itself. Thanks for showing the game off seeing as I don't have any consoles anymore. Hope you have fun showing us the games.

I always have fun doing this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

koolkevz666 posted:

I always have fun showing these off.

Klaus88 posted:

"An ambush? We're surrounded."

...No you're not, you're in space, its pretty much impossible to surround something in space.

Maybe he knows they're in a game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"It's a Gundam, but it's unlike any other Gundam I've ever seen". What the gently caress do you mean by that, Char? You've seen a grand total of 1 (one) Gundam until now. Is that a mistranslation, because I can't even imagine what it meant to say.

Also I see the sidestories appear in the storyline, considering Gato and Char Johnny Ridden. That's nice.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I see the sidestories appear in the storyline, considering Gato and Char Johnny Ridden. That's nice.

Without the sidestory characters, they may have been lacking in opponents.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

"It's a Gundam, but it's unlike any other Gundam I've ever seen". What the gently caress do you mean by that, Char? You've seen a grand total of 1 (one) Gundam until now. Is that a mistranslation, because I can't even imagine what it meant to say.

Its not well explained as the game jumps massively but by this time in the story the original Gundam that Amero is piloting has been modified. Where as in the first few battles Amero won mostly due to the advanced design of the Gundam by now Amero has developed into being a full newtype and his skills actually surpassed what the Gundam could achieve and so the Gundam had to be updated to keep up with Amero. I think it is not well translated but it should come off more as "This Gundam is moving and fighting even better than the last few fights".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Using Gato and Johnny here is a logical move on the game's part, given the Universal Century canon. Gato, as mentioned in the video, gains his infamous "Nightmare of Solomon" moniker during this battle (but ultimately goes into hiding after the war until the events of Stardust Memory roughly 3 years later). Johnny, being devoted to Kycilla Zabi, would naturally be part of her main force during this battle. And of course the game touches on the big running joke with Johnny Ridden, in that he uses a very similar custom color scheme to that of Char (Char's colors are somewhat a brighter shade of red compared to Johnny's, mind), leading to many people in-universe confusing the two pilots for each other. Albeit, it's more often people thinking Johnny is Char than the other way around, given how big of an ace Char is.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
It's worth noting that Johnny is pretty much the only non-Crossbone non-anime character to get real airtime in any of the DWG games.

But yeah, this is a really fun series, and even though I only played Reborn, I honestly think this is my favorite Musou series. But that's because I'm a scrub and like broken poo poo. And boy howdy does Reborn have broken poo poo.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So I'm not super familiar with the Gundam series, mostly knowing some stuff about the original series from friends... but what is Lalah talking about near the end? "You have no one to protect, you have nothing to defend!" Didn't Zeon start the war by attacking the Earth Federation, and dropping one of those large "side" colonies onto Australia or somewhere, causing massive, untold destruction? If anything, should Amuro have more to protect and defend than just about anyone in Zeon? Is Lalah just super sheltered, or intentionally kept misinformed about the war?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Shoeless posted:

So I'm not super familiar with the Gundam series, mostly knowing some stuff about the original series from friends... but what is Lalah talking about near the end? "You have no one to protect, you have nothing to defend!" Didn't Zeon start the war by attacking the Earth Federation, and dropping one of those large "side" colonies onto Australia or somewhere, causing massive, untold destruction? If anything, should Amuro have more to protect and defend than just about anyone in Zeon? Is Lalah just super sheltered, or intentionally kept misinformed about the war?

She thinks Amuro is bullying Char. What do you think?

The whole "Amuro and Char are in love with Lalah" thing is so ham-fisted it's sad. I get that they have the whole Newtype psychic-link thing going but she basically has the mind of a child.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

RickVoid posted:

she basically has the mind of a child.
Ahhhh, that'd explain it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Thus ends the Original Gundam story.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Is the best gundam show, Turn A, represented in this game?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

We were one limb away from a Monty python sketch at the end. :rimshot:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

RottenK posted:

You seem to have catastrophically mispelled G Gundam there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

RottenK posted:

Loran Cehack and the Turn-A are pretty much the only representation from that show in this game. He does get an Original Mode story guest starring Puru Two and Emma Sheen, however.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

All I'll say is that the second game's bonus battles can go gently caress right off.

You want me to take a Zaku 2 fight four aces in it, and then take on the Devil G Gundam. Without anything more than Basic attacks?

Soldiers Battlefield 4... I have lost to many days to trying to beat you!

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

RickVoid posted:

You seem to have catastrophically mispelled G Gundam there.

You both have spelled Zeta wrong...

edit. Also is it just me or is this music really bad? I remember Encounters in Space used music from the show and while it was weird I think it kinda worked.

LordGugs fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 26, 2016

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

That little ridiculous twisty maze in A Boa Qu is in every version of the map from every DWG game, it's kind of funny.

I only started this series with DWG2, never played 1, it's funny how some things have absolutely never changed, like some of the power up icons or the arrows pointing to the nearby aces/guards.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

How does one even pronounce Judau? The characters can't seem to say it consistently.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is why everyone keeps dying!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

We just murdered a dude by taking out his reentry device and letting him burn up in the atmosphere.

Are we the bad guys? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Kamille don't give a gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrejlT4_9w

• Locked thread