Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Wait, the giant robot can eat peoples souls? Wha-?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
Well, the giant robot isn't doing it, it's Kamille. Kamille is a newtype, which is the Gundam equivalent of being able to use the force.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Z gundam has bio sensor which can take power from a newtype. So Kamille is like a medium and draws power from the dead to the mobile suit. Someone powerful enough can actually do this without drawing power from the dead.

And it was Scirocco who kept telling Reccoa and Sara that women are the one who will rule the world, but both of them were dead because of him.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I really should rewatch Z Gundam because I do not remember any of this poo poo...
Actually I'm also surprised that this game doesn't seem to have any fights against giant mobile armors like the Big Zam or the Psycho Gundam.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

The Casualty posted:

I really should rewatch Z Gundam because I do not remember any of this poo poo...
Actually I'm also surprised that this game doesn't seem to have any fights against giant mobile armors like the Big Zam or the Psycho Gundam.

Then may I direct you to DW:G Reborn, which has those fights. Ridiculously easy if you know what you're doing, but hey! It has them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Casualty posted:

If I had to guess, since this was the first Gundam-centric Musou game, the dev team decided to take it easy and just focus on mobile suits fighting to save time and headaches, because a good number of mobile armors would have had very unusual hitboxes (looking at you, Big Zam).

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

If I had to guess, since this was the first Gundam-centric Musou game, the dev team decided to take it easy and just focus on mobile suits fighting to save time and headaches, because a good number of mobile armors would have had very unusual hitboxes (looking at you, Big Zam).

Makes sense, all the later games have Mobile Armors and they are kind of tricky, they keep trying to find the sweet spot on how to fight them.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The Casualty posted:

They show up in two and beyond. And their lack of inclusion here is probably part of the reason Four isn't included.

And isn't Kamille often cited as the "strongest newtype ever" partly because of this particular string of events?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Calax posted:

They show up in two and beyond. And their lack of inclusion here is probably part of the reason Four isn't included.

And isn't Kamille often cited as the "strongest newtype ever" partly because of this particular string of events?
Judau and Kamille jockey for that title constantly, with Judau edging out Kamille from what I've seen. If only because Judau remains a strong Newtype well into his 80s, while Kamille's abilities nosedive after his battle with Scirocco in the TV continuity.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Thinking back on it, I haven't really played any Gundam video games (mostly because the ones that come out never really look all that competent). I hear that Extreme Vs. was pretty good but I'm not really that in to fighting games. I guess what I'd like to see is something similar to Zone of the Enders' control scheme applied to a slower game, maybe with a lighter version of Armored Core's customization system to allow for some variety and custom paintjobs, all applied to an engine that would allow for the proper scale. Is it too much to ask for the best of three worlds?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Casualty posted:

Thinking back on it, I haven't really played any Gundam video games (mostly because the ones that come out never really look all that competent). I hear that Extreme Vs. was pretty good but I'm not really that in to fighting games. I guess what I'd like to see is something similar to Zone of the Enders' control scheme applied to a slower game, maybe with a lighter version of Armored Core's customization system to allow for some variety and custom paintjobs, all applied to an engine that would allow for the proper scale. Is it too much to ask for the best of three worlds?

There is a Gundam game that controls similar to Zone of The Enders, but it's not exactly heavy on customization.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

AradoBalanga posted:

Judau and Kamille jockey for that title constantly, with Judau edging out Kamille from what I've seen. If only because Judau remains a strong Newtype well into his 80s, while Kamille's abilities nosedive after his battle with Scirocco in the TV continuity.

Doesn't Camille spend a good chunk of ZZ telepathically talking to people, despite being in a coma?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

Doesn't Camille spend a good chunk of ZZ telepathically talking to people, despite being in a coma?

Oh hey a Super Robot Wars fan. Thanks for reminding me of the Trombe memes.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

GamesAreSupernice posted:

There is a Gundam game that controls similar to Zone of The Enders, but it's not exactly heavy on customization.

Which one is that? Is it any good?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So contrary to what GSN says, IMO the Zeta is arguably the worst Official mode Gundam and it doesn't help that you start with the far, far more versatile Gundam MK II. The Zeta's attacks are extremely, extremely awkward to use, especially its awful loving tier 3 mosou. Hell it's tier one mosou is basically an Original mode pilot's basic combo finisher. Its attacks are notably weaker and their range is far narrower, which is a death sentence for DW. And if you don't want to instantly become space dust in mission 4 I hope to poo poo you grind like gently caress in Free Mode. I really could not loving stand this suit and Mission 4 took me so many loving tries that I unlocked the Zeta's level 3 mosou without touching Free Mode (god I really should have).

Also I have never managed to use the Grypes laser properly. It either fails to fire (arguably the better outcome, those fields can be super handy) or the enemy retreats in time. By the time you can take out Haman and Sirocco quickly enough to make use of it, you won't need it anymore, you'll be so powerful you can just one-man army the whole drat mission.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 2, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Casualty posted:

Which one is that? Is it any good?

"Encounters in Space". I think it's pretty decent, but it's been a long while since I played it.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

"Encounters in Space". I think it's pretty decent, but it's been a long while since I played it.

I just checked out an LP of it on Youtube and it does actually look pretty cool. The levels are broken up into rail shooting and freeflow combat. Perhaps not exactly what I was thinking of but it looks fun.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gentlemen

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
"Absolutely nobody will find my stealing of the equivalent of a Nimitz super-carrier for my scrap shop objectionable in any way whatsoever."

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Judeau is best.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fanzay posted:

Judeau is best.

He is a good person.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Judau is indeed a lovable twat. Props to his VA (and the rest of the VAs for ZZ's cast, as well), since he has the added task of introducing Judau to Western audiences.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Judau is indeed a lovable twat. Props to his VA (and the rest of the VAs for ZZ's cast, as well), since he has the added task of introducing Judau to Western audiences.

His minor lisp is actually a surprising addition that I was happy with.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love how Judau sounds like a stoner's stoner. He's just so laid back and nonchalant about this "war" thing going on around him. But then again, I'm guessing that was the point? Those title cards certainly seem to reinforce it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

I love how Judau sounds like a stoner's stoner. He's just so laid back and nonchalant about this "war" thing going on around him. But then again, I'm guessing that was the point? Those title cards certainly seem to reinforce it.

I love ZZ Gundam as a series because the teenage characters are actually written like teenagers. Judau in particular is a fun smart-rear end with a good heart. Yeah they're in the midst of a horrible war, but life goes on, and so do social circles and a young adult's development.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Oh wow, I played the hell out of this game and even remembered this mission being a particular slog, but I'm still surprised that Judau's story is only two missions long. Maybe it's because I also played a lot of DWG2 and that had more story missions because of the mobile armor boss fights?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RubricMarine posted:

Oh wow, I played the hell out of this game and even remembered this mission being a particular slog, but I'm still surprised that Judau's story is only two missions long. Maybe it's because I also played a lot of DWG2 and that had more story missions because of the mobile armor boss fights?

Did you play the PS3 version or the PS2 version, out of curiosity?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Did you play the PS3 version or the PS2 version, out of curiosity?

Xbox 360, actually.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Team Heero/Master Asia best team. For real. Though all the characters play well off each other.

Also holy poo poo Endless Waltz DLC :flashfap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9SNiwbca8I

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Team Heero/Master Asia best team. For real. Though all the characters play well off each other.

Also holy poo poo Endless Waltz DLC :flashfap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9SNiwbca8I

I used that video to convince a friend to buy the game, thanks.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
That is a lot of different characters and giant robots. :eyepop:

Oh well, what is next then?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

That is a lot of different characters and giant robots. :eyepop:

Oh well, what is next then?

We wait for newtypes to usher in a new stage of humanity.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Since Games' look at Original Mode was quick, here's a few highlights from the best story mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJChDGcLmoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNmIl8DtJ30

Also, a small sample of the Japanese cast.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

My favorite line from Original mode was Heero vs Sirocco

Scirocco: "You cannot fight with such overwhelming emotion. Isn't that right, *shoots an off-screen Heero* boy!?"
Heero: *blocks shots* Emotions are what drive us to our fate. They are what makes us human.
Scirocco: "Bah! I'll show you, child!"

It's so nice to see Scirocco being so petty after acting all smug throughout Official mode.

Also AI controlled Heero can destroy 1000 enemies no prob. He uh...he pulls his weight.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you're gonna cover the sequels. That would just make my day.

Also, Brad Belden and James Corrigal deserve loving medals for hiring and directing these VAs for the game. I know most of them are the original VAs from the show (except ZZ), but each and every one of them knocked it out of the park (some more than others, but what can you do?). I know that I've said it before, but I'm gonna say it again: This was just the right amount of campy cheese that I enjoy. Char was properly :smuggo:, Scirocco sounded like a mustache twirling villain in the best possible way, and Judau was the best surfer dude and will forever sound like a surfer dude from now on so if you hate that you hate fun :boom:.

Only gripe about this game is that I wish it covered Stardust Memory, War in the Pocket, 08th MS Team, MS Igloo, Char's Counterattack, and Hathaway's Flash. Reborn covers CCA and Unicorn, but there's no grizzly Texan Black Tri-Stars, no story-mode involving surfer Judau, and no :smuggo: Full Frontal with his unusually clingy and completely gay bodyguard/butler Angelo. Also, Reborn doesn't have a mission-set that basically boils down to "Char and Frontal compete to see who is the smuggest of smug bastards in the UC timeline."

• Locked thread