Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Wolnir is a really silly fight imo. It's pretty cinematic, but it lacks the understated solemnity of the Four Kings, or the buildup of Manus. It's just, you grapple your way through the nasty ol' catacombs and then BOOM giant skeleton.

That said he's a pretty good boss to farm in co-op, or at least he was when the game was more active. Two or three motivated players can take him out in just about two minutes, I think.

Edit: TOTP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That one crystal lizard has gone through the wall there both when I played through this and in every video I've seen of anyone else playing this. There's another one later in the game what does it too. It cracked me the hell up the first time it happened, 'cuz I was initially so pissed off that it got away from me by way of a loving programming error, but then the loot dialogue box popped up and I laughed my rear end off at the sheer stupidity of the whole thing.

Edit: That door smells like a boss fight and looks like a texture loading error. :v:

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 8, 2016

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Having only experienced that boss through this video, I have a few things to say about him:

1. I'm really sad that he's so quick and easy to fight, because...

2. I love the design for this fight! He's just (to me) really loving creepy. Admittedly, I have a longstanding discomfort bordering on phobia with huge monstrosities lurking in a heavy darkness, and nigh-impenetrable darkness in general (I hated fighting the Four Kings in DS1, even though I just wiped the floor with them for that very reason). The Abyss, and virtually any interaction you have with it in these games, will just always creep me out, and I love it when games can do that. (It's also exacerbated by the fact that he's not only advancing on you, but also ascending from the Abyss)

3. As intimidating as that death fog gimmick is, I think it desperately needs some kind of warning. I don't really care if it's a dev message, a warning given by an NPC (probably that Fire Keeper, but whoever), or making the fog cause rapid Curse buildup. It's abnormally dickish for a Soulsborne game to outright turn what looks like a creepy special effect into instant death; we're used to things that give off some kind of obscuring fog that doesn't do jack poo poo, so why should we suspect that this fog is going to instantly kill us?

Also, you actually pronounced "accoutrements" pretty well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Buncha Wolnir stuff from the wiki/elsewhere:

1. The grave warden pyromancy tome spawns in the room with the goblet if you don't pick it up.
2. You can kill Wolnir without taking out his bracelets- he actually has a different animation.
3. Wolnir's arena is basically a flat, almost featureless incline. It looks an awful lot, from beta/trailer material, that the fight may have been rushed or changed due to a lack of time.
3. The combined lore suggests that Wolnir had a nice racket consuming the souls of the dead to empower himself, even before the Abyss got involved. It appears that he had taken over and corrupted the Fenito/grave wardens from DS2, making Carthus the Undead Crypt.
4. Wolnir "falling to the abyss" appears to both refer to literally falling into the abyss, and to have been caused by his corruption through studying dark arts using the Abyss. All of the dark ball, flame, serpent etc spells are implied to be humanity spells as per DS1 and 2.
5. This also ties into why there would be stronger, Abyss-corrupted skeletons in the area, and why the Abyss Watchers would be guarding the entrance.
6. I have no idea what's with the goblet, beyond generic "fire vessel" imagery. There was one on the altar that you descended into to get into the catacombs, too. It looks like the goblet may have been literally made out of Wolnir's skull.
7. There's rumors about an easter egg for striking the skull goblet table with a lightning spear.
8. Wolnir's model, including parts not visible without cheating, is strung up with/made out of skeletons. Obviously a Nito reference.

vvvv based on previous videos all of this would've been covered in the previous video's equipment roundup if it were going to be. Several of these are things OP explicitly said he didn't know, which is why I looked them up.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 10, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hey could you maybe not say stuff like that until you're sure the OP isn't going to cover it himself? Thanks.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It's okay. some of the points are self evident, others I said I didn't know, some are expanding on what we already know and some are interpetations. There's nothing there I plan on still covering and even if I mention something off-hand in a later video it's not going to be a big deal.

That said my spoiler policy is probably a bit strict/specific, but you have to realize that I started this thread at the height of Geop's Dark Souls II thread's horribleness where people just casually gave away things that have not been shown yet multiple times per page and it was usually the same three or four people gleefully unaware of how what they say constitutes a spoiler. I was thinking of loosening it up and maybe I will but I just wanted to let people know why exactly I made it to be the way it is right now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
One common theme to these areas/lords seems to be that they're the eventual outcome/degradation of a past covenant.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Discendo Vox posted:

One common theme to these areas/lords seems to be that they're the eventual outcome/degradation of a past covenant.

That's been the theme of the whole game. Dark Souls 1 is the end of the great age of light, the first attempt to keep it going. Dark Souls 2 is the consequence of that, the inescapable cycle that's slowly eroding under the weight of the Abyss. Dark Souls 3 is the end of that cycle, where there's nothing but warped memories, ashes, and a few flickering embers left.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Just wrapping up the Catacombs! Also a bit of another area we won't be exploring fully until later.

Soul of High Lord Wolnir
Soul of the High Lord Wolnir.One of the twisted souls, steeped in strength.
Use to acquire many souls, or transpose to extract its true strength.
Lord Wolnir of Carthus sentenced countless souls to gruesome deaths, keen to outlive them all.

Wolnir's Holy Sword
A holy sword eroded by the Abyss. When Wolnir fell to the Abyss, he was gripped by a fear of true darkness, and pleaded to the gods for the first time.
This holy sword, together with three armlets stripped from the corpses of clerics, gave him some semblance of comfort.
Skill: Wrath of the Gods - Thrust weapon into earth to emit powerful shockwave. The wrath of those swallowed by the Abyss is a thing to be wary of indeed.

Black Serpent
Pyromancy discovered from the Abyss by High Lord Wolnir that inspired the black arts of the grave wardens.
Releases undulating black flames that trace the ground.
Be it sorcery or pyromancy, all techniques that infringe on humanity lead to the same place. That is to say, they all seek a will of their own.

Wolnir's Crown
Crown of Wolnir, the Carthus conqueror.
Once upon a time, such things were bequeathed judiciously to each of the rightful lords, until Wolnir brought them to their knees, and ground their crowns to dust. Then the crowns became one, and Wolnir, the one High Lord.

Grave Warden Pyromancy Tome
A pyromancy tome of the grave warden, from the Carthus catacombs.
Give to the pyromancer master to learn black flame sorceries.
High Lord Wolnir of Carthus succumbed to the Abyss, but the pyromancer later became a grave warden, and discovered the black flame.

Grave Warden's Ashes
Umbral ash of the grave warden of the catacombs of Carthus. With this, the shrine handmaid will prepare new items.
The old man began as a squire, carrying his master's accoutrements. He ended his days a grave warden, and carried them still.

Soul of a Demon
Soul of a demon. One of the twisted souls, steeped in strength.
Use to acquire numerous souls, or transpose to extract its true strength.
Demons were born of the Chaos Flame, but the flame has not survived, and the demons are a dying race.

Demon's Fist
A demonic fist that burns with fiery essence. Its wielder can release this power through use of its Skill. When two-handed, fists are equipped in each hand.
Skill: Flame Whirlwind - Spin through opponents with abandon, flaming fists outstretched. Using a strong attack while spinning utilizes your momentum to slam the ground with both fists.

Demon's Greataxe
Dark Souls III:
This greataxe, a favorite among demons, contains the strength of fire. The demons, born of Chaos, harbor fire, and yet they are twisted and malformed, such that they were never meant to be.
Skill: Demonic Flare - Briefly cause flame to flare, and smash it upon earth and foes.

Dark Souls:
Carved from the bones of fellow demons. Wielded by the lesser Taurus demons.
This axe is imbued with no special power, but can merrily beat foes to a pulp, providing you have the strength to wield it.
Note: This is a different weapon with the same name from the first game, I'm including it just because I can

Black Blade
Dark Souls III:
A short katana wielded by the swordsman and distinguished guest of High Lord Wolnir. This shiny black blade is thick, but shorter than the typical katana.
The swordsman was a master of a rare technique, traces of which can be observed in this weapon's strong attack.
Skill: Hold - Assume a holding stance to rapidly execute a lunging slash with a normal attack, or a deflecting parry with a strong attack.

Dark Souls II (Berserker Blade):
The katana of a berserker, by its name.
The thick, shiny black blade cuts exquisitely. Its origins and owner are unknown, but at some point the blade became known by this name.

Old Sage's Blindfold
Attire of pyromancers of the Great Swamp, particularly favored by old sages.
The large blindfold blocks out unnecessary light, allowing one to observe a pyromancy's true essence.
The flame reveals all, and obscures all.

Carthus Milkring
Ring worn by the warriors of the sand kingdom, Carthus. Slightly boosts dexterity and obscures the wearer while rolling.
The sword technique of Carthus allows for fluid movement with a curved sword. Masters of the technique are said to dazzle their opponents by moving as weightlessly as a grain of sand. They live for their High Lord Wolnir, conqueror of most kingdoms known to their people.

Carthus Bloodring
Ring worn by warriors of the sand kingdom, Carthus. Boosts rolling invincibility, at the cost of defense.
The sword technique of Carthus allows for fluid movement with a curved sword. Masters of the technique are said to dazzle their opponents by moving as weightlessly as a grain of sand. They live for their High Lord Wolnir, conqueror of most kingdoms known to their people.

Carthus Pyromancy Tome
A pyromancy tome from Carthus
Give to the old pyromancer to learn advanced pyromancies of the Great Swamp.
Carthus pyromancies developed in isolation from other forms, explaining their divergent evolution.

Witch's Ring
The Witch of Izalith and her daughters, scorched by the flame of chaos, thaught humans the art of pyromancy and offered them this ring.
Greatly boosts pyromancies.
Every pyromancer is familiar with the parable that tells of the witches espousing the need to fear the flame, and teaching the art of pyromancy to men in hopes that they might learn to control it.

Knight Slayer's Ring
Ring of the savage Tsorig, more commonly known as the Knight Slayer.
Long ago, Tsorig engaged the guardians of an ancient city in a bloody confrontation, and returned with their rings as his prize, still frozen on their dismembered fingers.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Those two crystal lizards are the other ones I mentioned which tend to run through the wall into oblivion. Something about the geometry of the walls in that area makes it real easy for them to run out of bounds.

That giant ballista was the bane of my existence for about an hour, as an aside.

Edit: I've got a screenshot of the entrance to Irithyll set as my desktop wallpaper. From that same spot. Oddly enough, in that same outfit.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 17, 2016

azren
Feb 14, 2011

KieranWalker posted:

Edit: I've got a screenshot of the entrance to Irithyll set as my desktop wallpaper. From that same spot. Oddly enough, in that same outfit.

That vista is beautiful! I'm really looking forward to that area.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Unsorted thoughts about Irithyll and what's within:
Let's head to Irithyll, the really pretty city that is home to Aldritch, Saint of the Deep as well as another major player that we haven't met yet, Pontiff Sulyvahn. He was briefly mentioned in a few item descriptions. It's also where Vordt of the Boreal Valley came from because... y'know Irithyll is in the Boreal Valley, an Outrider Knight. To know what an outrider knight is it's best to just reread the description of the Pontiff's Left Eye, a ring we can make of Vordt's Soul

"Bewitched ring that Pontiff Sulyvahn bestowed upon his knights.
Recovers HP with successive attacks.
Knights who peer into the black orb are lured into battles of death, transformed into frenzied beasts. No wonder the Pontiff only provides these rings to those dispatched to foreign lands."

The Pontiffs Right Eye has the exact same description, aside from the effect, and we get it from the Wolfgator, implying that this is either what an Outrider Knight looks like without armor or once they've fully transformed into a beast. Though, the description also reads that he only gives the rings to those dispatched to faraway places. Presumably for reasons of safety, or Sully doesn't want those filthy beasts near him. I'd also like to draw attention to the fact that these Pontiff Beasts have gaping open bellies with teeth anf everything, reminiscent of the Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls. Although, the Gaping Dragon's Story was that it was a dragon so gluttonous it developed new mouths to eat literal poo poo in the sewers with.

Greirat calls Irithyll "Home to moon-worshipping nobles". There's exactly one character linked to the Moon: Gwyndolyn, last surviving deity of Anor Londo from Dark Souls. She was born male but raised as a woman due to her affinity to the moon. Gwyndolyn is also the daughter of Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight. We also find a Proof of a Concord Kept as well as the Roster of Knights which make reference to Gwyndolyn's Covemant, the Darkmoon Blades. The Darkmoon Blades both guarded Anor Londo and Gwynevere's Illusion and hunted down sinners (players who invaded a lot).

Aside from that, there are a few other items that are connected to Anor Londo in Irithyll, though we haven't found a lot of them yet. This gives fuel to a few theories regarding the nature of Irithyll. Maybe it was built in the place where Anor Londo once stood, or maybe the people of Anor Londo went here after The illusion of Sunlight was shattered and the truth that it's cursed with an eternal night was revealed. The Pontiff Knights being what became of the Silver Knights or perhaps the Sentinels. Then again, it's also night in Irithyll, and we can always see the moon hanging in the sky, so who knows?

While we don't know everything yet it is quite an interesting place. It is actually one of my favorite areas in the game. It looks sweet and offers a decent challenge it's also a place ware a lot of the lore comes together, concerning Aldrich and Outrider Knights such as Vordt. Then there's Anri, whose questline will reach it's conclusion later on in this area. It's quite dense in that regard and I really like it for that. But we still have half of the area ahead of us. And then there's the Dungeon below as well.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Jeez I hate Pontiff beasts most of all.

I ended up doing some pretty dirty tactics on the first fella who chased you across the bridge. If you double back, he can't cross the archway at the end of the bridge and with some judicious line-dancing you can either wear him down or take a moment to replenish your health.

It doesn't matter too much though - they can kill you pretty much instantly with their weird Bloodborne moveset.

Anyway, I really like Irithyll, even if it's basically just Yharnam on Ice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched the video yet so pardon me if you mention it, but the naming is most likely a reference to the works of Tolkien: in one of his fictional languages, "ithil" is the word for the Moon; in the same one, "anor" stands for the Sun.

And yeah, it's the best area in the game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, I found torches pretty useful in Dark Souls 2, even if there weren't a huge number of dark areas. Having the option was nice, at least.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I haven't watched the video yet so pardon me if you mention it, but the naming is most likely a reference to the works of Tolkien: in one of his fictional languages, "ithil" is the word for the Moon; in the same one, "anor" stands for the Sun.

And yeah, it's the best area in the game.

I've never gotten Irithyll's apeal, unfortunately. Yeah, the sky's pretty, but the actual city is pretty drab.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Pontiff Sulyvahn

Sully is the dick who sent out Vordt and the other Outrider Knights, one of which we've seen at the entrance to the Road of Sacrifices. According to the description of his Soul he also feeds gods to Aldrich. Sulyvahn is actually a sorcerer and the recently released DLC gives us a tiny little bit of extra lore concerning his young sorcerer years. But we'll get to that.

When the game was first released a lot of people seemed to view Sully as the Ornstein & Smough of Dark Souls III in terms of the difficulty spike he provides. Now this line of thought has mainly vanished. I didn't really find him very tough myself but he is one of the few bosses who get a kill in on me in almost every playthrough. In terms of gameplay he has a few similarities with Fume Knight from Dark Souls II. Much like him Pontiff Sulyvahn is using a bigger and a smaller sword and the backwards slashes he can do with both of his weapons is a lot like a similar move from Fume Knight.

Depending on who you ask the first phase is either the easier or harder one. He is fairly aggressive and will punish you if you turtle up behind your shield by just hitting you until you can't block anymore, so getting comfortable with dodging his attacks is quite important. He can also be parried, if you're not like me anc forget that you even have this move. Roll attacks work really well on him, when using slower weapons you may deal a majority of your damage with them.

In phase two he, like most bosses, gains a few extra move. Mainly he can do magic attacks. One of them is a Soul Spear the other is more like a wave. Additionally he can Jump up and and drop on you, causing a big explosion in the process.

But the main difference is that he can summon a clone. Whenever the clone is out he becomes less aggressive. Is clone will attack first and Sully will follow with the same attack, so expect to dodge the same attack twice every time. Getting all up in his face can help here, as it can interrupt either the clone or Sully himself, saving you a few attacks to dodge, though, you need to be aware of what the other is doing as you attack. If you find him easier without his clone you can just kill it, but he'll summon it again after a short time. You can use this to your advantage by just attacking him while he summons is phantom, as he's defenseless while he does it.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah well I had a hard time with him so there.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Christ those spider things are freakish looking.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

PSWII60 posted:

Christ those spider things are freakish looking.

They remind me of the millipede things in Bloodborne crossed with the Gaping Dragon.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Aldrich, Devourer of Gods

With a title as metal as "Devourer of Gods" you'd expect something a bit more. He's presented as a big all-devouring blob in the intro cinematic and I think a fight like that would be interesting. Think something like Phalanx from Demon's Souls, only not lucicrously easy and maybe with some actual attacks instead of guarding himself with tinier versions of himself. But nah, we get a big naga-like version of Gwyndolyn, who, as far as we can tell, is still in the process of being eaten by Aldrich. I would say the slimy stuff in the arena is actually Aldrich's body but once we kill him that substance remains, so that's unlikely. The music is certainly reminiscent of the Moonlight Butterfly theme from Dark Souls, which was also Gwyndolyn's theme.

While Aldrich is probbly among my least favorite boss fights in the game I would not say he's THAT bad (It just happens that I like the game more than most people, apparently). He just has one attack that is not fun at all. I recall at the time the game came out where going on about how Aldrich is the first real villain in the Souls series (I mean, I think there's several, but Seath is probably the best example of an actual objectively bad guy that did more than being flawed and/or doing a messed up thing once). It's true that we've pursued him for the entire game until this point and the encounter has been foreshadowed by various characters and item descriptions as well as an entire area we're led to believe he resides in. The Cathedral of the Deep. A church he founded while contemplating the fading fire when he began to receive visions of "an age of the deep sea". An alternative to the cycle of rekindling the first flame over and over, which by this time shows diminishing returns.

What exactly the Deep is is not completely known. It could be a more extreme form of the Abyss, a Darkness without the humanity that is typically attached to the Abyss. Maybe some Cthulhu stuff, I'd dig that. Or perhaps something else entirely. I really hope that the second DLC will touch a bit more on it. What we do know is that the church that he founded in its honor had the sole purpose of feeding him more. A head figure of his church was Pontiff Sulyvahn, who had is hands in all kinds of business both related to Aldrich as well as his own endeavours. It is likely that, in addition to gods Aldrich also fed on orphans from the orphanage Anri and Horace are from, which is why they are after him. It's also implied that Aldrich did not become a Lord of Cinder of his own will, but they forced him to fuel the first flame. Overall you could say he's a rude, hosed up dude.

But let us talk about the fight, finally. Aldrich uses various magical attacks he can cast soul mass as well as a soul spear, which most players should be able to dodge easily. Then there's the arrow barrage. Which goes covers the area in front of him. It's quite devastating but can be avoided by just stepping behind him. Also a prime opportunity to get some hits in. As long as you stay close he will prefer is melee attacks, which are pretty useless all things considered, so to beat Aldrich get up in his grill and lay the smack down on him.

In phase two he gets set on fire. Which will cover the ground close to him in flames, that will damage you a bit. But the main problem with this second phase, and also the main problem I have with the fight, is his powered up arrow barrage. It no longer covers a cone in front of him. Instead the barrage homes in on you and the only way to dodge is to outrun it. Aldrich may now also cast his aforementioned spells, which you'll also have to dodge. It's pretty easy to get wrecked by this attack and it's also not fun to deal with, because all you do is run. Which reinforces the fact that you should just stay close to bait his melee swings that are so easy to dodge you probably do it by accident at least once. Get in his face and go murdertown. Use fire if you have to, he happens to be weak to fire despite being on fire. An old Souls tradition.

He can be a bit random but as long as you stay close you'll minimize the chance of him using one of his actually dangerous attacks.

Cinders of a Lord (Aldrich)
Cinders of a lord left by Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.
If the lords will not return to their thrones themselves, let them return as cinders.
Aldrich became a lord by devouring men, but was disillusioned with his throne, and so took to devouring gods instead.

Soul of Aldrich
Soul of Aldrich,
One of the twisted souls, steeped in strength.
When Aldrich ruminated on the fading of the fire, it inspired visions of a coming age of the deep sea.
He knew the path would be arduous, but he had no fear. He would devour the gods himself.

Darkmoon Longbow
Dark Souls III:
Longbow of Darkmoon Gwyndolin, who was gradually devoured by Aldrich. This golden bow is imbued with powerful magic and is most impressive with Moonlight Arrows.
Skill: Darkmoon Arrow - Infuse a readied arrow with Darkmoon essence, granting it magic damage and the ability to pierce shields.

Dark Souls (As Darkmoon bow, a short bow):
Bow born from the soul of the Dark Sun Gwyndolin, Darkmoon deity who watches over the abandoned city of Gods, Anor Londo.
This golden bow is imbued with powerful magic and is most impressive with Moonlight Arrows.

Lifehunt Scythe
Dark Souls III:
Miracle of Aldrich, Devourer of Gods.
Steals HP of foes using an illusory scythe.
Aldrich dreamt as he slowly devoured the God of the Darkmoon. In this dream, he perceived the form of a young, pale girl in hiding.

Dark Souls (as an actual equippable weapon):
cythe born from the soul of Priscilla, the stark white crossbreed trapped inside the Painted World of Ariamis.
Even the Gods feared Priscilla's lifehunt ability, and in the hands of a mortal, its power will turn upon its wielder.

Human Dregs
Proof of a duty fulfilled by the Aldrich Faithful, who patiently await the Devourer of Gods' return.
Dregs are the heaviest things within the human body, and will sink to the lowest depths imaginable

Aldrich's Ruby
A malformed ring left by Aldrich, Saint of the Deep. Recovers HP from critical attacks.
Aldrich, infamous for his appetite for flesh apparently had the desire to share with others his joy of imbibing the final shudders of life while luxuriating in his victim's screams.

Soul of Pontiff Sulyvahn
Soul of Pontiff Sulyvahn.
One of the twisted souls, seeped in strength.
Pontiff Sulyvahn of Irithyll imprisoned a god of the old royalty in the abandoned cathedral, to be fed to the devourer.

Greatsword of Judgment
A ceremonial sword, held in Pontiff Sulyvahn's left hand, respresenting the judgement of the moon, but with magic far closer to sorcery than any existing lunar power. Its dark blue hues, deeper than the darkest moon, reflect sorcerer Sulyvahn's true nature.
Skill: Stance of Judgment - Assume stance to unleash dark magic. Use normal attack for a lunging thrust, and strong attack to emite side-sweeping wave.

Profaned Greatsword
A ceremonial sword, held in Pontiff Sulyvahn's right hand, representing the Profaned Flame.
Long ago, when Sulyvahn was yet a young sorcerer, he discovered the Profaned Capital and an unfading flame below a distant tundra of Irithyll, and a burning ambition took root within him.
Skill: Profaned Flame - Temporarily summon the Profaned Flame. Lunge forward and use strong attack to enshroud blade in flame.

Pontiff's Right Eye
Bewitched ring that Pontiff Sulyvahn bestowed upon his knights.
Boosts attacks, as long as attacking persists.
Knights who peer into the black orb are lured into battles of death, transformed into frenzied beasts. No wonder the Pontiff only provides these rings to those dispatched to foreign lands.

Smough's Great Hammer
Dark Souls III:
Twisted great Hammer associated with Smough, the last knight to remain at his post, guarding the ruined cathedral.
Restore HP while attacking, a carryover from Smough's past as an executioner.
Skill: Perseverance - Anchor weapon in earth to temporarily boost poise. Damage reduced while activated.

Dark Souls:
Great hammer from the soul of executioner Smough, who guards the cathedral in the forsaken city of Anor Londo.
Smough loved his work, and ground the bones of his victims into his own feed, ruining his hopes of being ranked with the Four Knights.

Leo Ring
Dark Souls III:
Ring associated with Dragon Slayer Ornstein, one of the Four Knights of Gwyn, the First Lord.
Strengthens thrust weapon counter attacks.
Ornstein was the first knight of the sun's eldest born, and his cross spear is said to have pierced scales made of stone.

Dark Souls II (Old Leo Ring):
The beloved ring of a dragon-slaying knight.
Strengthens thrust weapon counter attacks.
After many years of use, the ring's face has worn down, but close inspection reveals an engraved lion.

Dark Souls:
One of the special rings granted to the four knights of Gwyn. The Leo Ring belonged to Ornstein the Dragonslayer.
This ring strengthens counters with pierce weapons. His lugged spear is said to have sliced a boulder in two.

Golden Ritual Spear
A ritual spear presented to Darkmoon Knights before Sulyvahn claimed the title of Pontiff.
Can also be used as a staff. Sorceries cast using this weapon channel the wielder's faith.
Skill: Steady Chant - Boost the strength of sorceries for a very short period.

Dorhy's Gnawing
Miracle of Dorhys the deranged evangelist.
Summons great insect swarm to feast on foes.
Those who linger too long on the brink of the Deep will often slip. Dorhys is sure to have wallowed in this darkness, intoxicated by its peril.

Witchtree Branch
The branch of a large, well-tended witchtree, used as a sorcery catalyst.
Witchtree staves are customary in the far north, and allow for faster casting than ordinary catalysts.
Skill: Steady Chant - Boost the strength of sorceries for a very short period. Works while equipped in either hand.

Yorshka's Spear
This treasure, gifted to the Yorshka Church, is enchanted with a soporific spell, and was surreptitiously worshiped by Irithyll slaves.
As a weapon, it is part spear and part hammer, the former allowing thrusting, and the latter allowing strikes.
Skill: Pacify - With a prayer and an offering of this spear, temporarily wear down enemy FP with each strike.

Drang Twinspears
Paired spears of the Drang Knights, proclaimed descendants from the land known for the legend of the Linking of the Fire. When the Drang Knights disbanded, they scattered across the lands as sellswords. They quickly became known for shieldless, aggressive tactics that struck fear in the hearts of men.
Skill: Charge - Hold spear at waist and charge at foe. Use strong attack while charging to extend the length of the charge.

Dragonslayer's Greatbow
Dark Souls III:
Greatbow used by the Dragonslayers during the age of gods. Far greater in size than any normal bow, and far more devastating.
The bow must be anchored in the ground to be fired, a time consuming operation that leaves the operator vulnerable. Only specialized great arrows can be fired from the bow.
Skill: Puncturing Arrow - Masterfully fires off a great arrow that pierces through all enemies in its path, inflicting damage.

Dark Souls II:
A greatbow said to be used to down ancient dragons flying high above the clouds.
Extremely large for a mere bow, and more destructive than any ranged weapon imaginable.
Shooting this bow requires the grounding of its stability anchor, which takes time and leaves the shooter vulnerable.
Also requires great arrows.

Dark Souls:
Bow of the Dragonslayers, led by Hawkeye Gough, one of Gwyn's Four Knights.
This bow's unusual size requires that it be anchored to the ground when fired. Only uses specialized great arrows.

Painting Guardians Curved Sword
A weapon described in legends passed down amongst heretics, wielded by the Painting Guardians.
A uniquely shaped weapon with a flat tip.
Skill: Chained Dance - Execute relentless consecutive attacks while tracing a circle in a unique dance of deadly grace.

Painting Guardian Set
Dark Souls III:
Attire of the Painting Guardians, whose forms are described in the mythology of heretics.
A smooth pale hood that deters magic.
The hunchbacked teller of ancient tales describes unwanted souls who are unwelcome across the lands, and are eventually drawn into a cold, painted world.

Dark Souls II (Monastery Set):
Traditional sacred attire crafted at
the Lindelt Monastery. Made of a lightweight, flowing white fabric.
The ceremonial design suggests that they revered whatever it was they watched over.
The purity of the garment, however, neatly symbolizes the fraudulence found at the very heart of the monastery.

Dark Souls:
Apparel worn by the alabaster-clothed guardians of the paintings in Anor Londo. Offers substantial protection versus magic.
They have guarded the Great Paintings of Ariamis for ages, passing their duty down through the generations, but the reason for doing so passed from all memory long ago.

Brass Set
Dark Souls III:
Armor of a knight once known as the Darkmoon. It is said that this brass armor hides something hideous within.
Something about its silhouette suggests femininity.

Dark Souls:
Armor of the Darkmoon Knightess, Fire Keeper of Anor Londo.
After becoming Undead, she visited the Dark Sun Gwyndolin at the Mausoleum of the Spiral Depths, became a Blade of Darkmoon, and assumed the flame-keeping duty. She received this armor, which hides her hideous form and helps her hunt the guilty.

Silver Knight Set
Dark Souls III:
Armor of the Silver Knights allegiant to the royals of old.
It is said that even after the family's passing, the knights continued to watch over their manor, and the ruined cathedral.

Dark Souls:
Armor of the Silver Knights who protect Anor Londo.
When Lord Gwyn departed to link the Fire, his knights split into two groups. The Silver Knights remained in the forsaken capital in the service of their goddess.

Magic Clutch Ring
Dark Souls III:
Ring depicting a hand grasping a blue stone. Increases magic attack, but compromises damage absorption.
An old fable in Londor claims that the lure of the clutch ring reaches out to the crestfallen, who might otherwise be overcome by despair.

Dark Souls II:
Ring depicting a hand grasping a stone. Increases magic attack, but reduces physical defense.
The origin of this ring is unknown, but its design suggests one of the darker deities. Effective use of this ring requires skill on the part of the wearer.

Ring of the Sun's First Born
Dark Souls III:
Ring of the Sun's first born, who inherited the light of Gwyn, the first lord. Greatly boosts miracles.
The Sun's first born was once a god of war, until he was stripped of his stature as punishment for his foolishness. No wonder his very name has slipped from the annals of history.

Dark Souls:
Lord Gwyn's firstborn, who inherited the sunlight, once wore this ancient ring. Boosts the strength of miracles.
Lord Gwyn's firstborn was a god of war, but his foolishness led to a loss of the annals, and rescinding of his deific status. Today, even his name is not known.

Sun Pricnes Ring
Dark Souls III:
Ring associated with Gwynevere, princess of sunlight and eldest daughter of Gwyn, the First Lord.
The ring is vaguely warm, like a beam of sunlight, and gradually restores HP.
Gwynevere left her home with a great many other deities, and became a wife and mother, raising several heavenly children.

Dark Souls:
This ring is granted to those who enter a Covenant with Gwynevere, daughter of Lord Gywn and the Princess of Sunlight. This slightly warm ring boosts the synergy of miracles.
The Princess of Sunlight Gwynevere left Anor Londo along many other deities, and later became wife to Flame God Flann.

Ring of Favor
Dark Souls III :
A ring symbolizing the favor of the Goddess Fina, whose "fateful beauty" is mentioned in legend.
True to the fickle nature of Fina's favor, her ring increases max HP, stamina, and maximum equip load.

Dark Souls:
A ring symbolizing the favor and protection of the goddess Fina, known in legend to possess "fateful beauty".
This ring boosts its wearer's HP, stamina, and max equipment load, but breaks if ever removed.

Proof of a Concord Kept
Dark Souls III:
Blood-drained, shrunken ear. Souvenir taken for subduing the guilty.
The knights called the Blades of the Darkmoon punish the guilt-soaked offenders of the Gods and take this proof of their conquest. The earless corpses of the guilty will be left behind as a warning to others, inspiring both fear and respect for the Gods. Such is the eternal mandate of the Dark Sun.

Dark Souls (Souvenir of Reprisal):
Blood-Drained, shrunken ear. Souvenir taken for subduing the guilty.

The knights called the Blades of the Darkmoon punish the guilt-soaked offenders of the Gods and take this as proof of their conquest. The earless corpses of the guilty will be left behind as a warning to others, inspiring both fear and respect for the Gods. Such is the eternal mandate of the Dark Sun.

Proof of a Concord Well Kept
Distinguished proof that one has hunted the enemies of the gods, as per the ancient accord with the Way of Blue.
The layered ear of a dark spirit is the mark of a particularly guilty offender, one who has flagrantly violated one god or another.
Use to acquire two Proofs of a Concord Kept.

Roster of Knights
Online play item. A roster of knights of the Darkmoon who have served since the age of the old Royals.
Use to discover the names of Darkmoon Knights, an order of elite knights shrouded in shadows.

Giant's Coal
Coal used for weapon infusion.
It is said that the giant blacksmith of Anor Londo was once the blacksmith of the gods.
Give to the blacksmith in the shrine to allow the use of gems for lightning, simple, and chaos infusion.

Greirat's Ashes
Umbral ash of Greirat of the Undead Settlement. With this, the shrine handmaid will prepare new items.
Greirat was a thief who fancied himself a martyr for the poor, which is what drove him to climb the wall.
Note: this will only appear if Greirat actually dies in Irithyll

Excrement-Covered Ashes
Unclean umbral ash coated with excrement. Perhaps it's possible the handmaid of Firelink Shrine could turn this into a few new things...
"Oh to savor the sweet pungency but once more..."

Easterner's Ashes
Umbral ash of an armor merchant from an eastern land.
Surely the handmaid of Firelink Shrine can turn this into a few new things.The merchant, the captain of a clan of hunters, was fascinated with weaponry.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually find it really interesting that you fight a puppet corpse in the Aldrich fight, his actual body is the black goop full of bones on the floor that the Gwyndolin tentacle you fight comes out of.

Also he's visually similar to Nito, in that he's primarily made out of skeletons and an inky black material, the biggest difference is where Nito is wearing a cloak Aldrich has become a disgusting miasma of tar.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
For whatever reason, I never looked up when I was coming out of Sully's boss room, so the revelation didn't hit me until I got down to the chamber where you (optionally) fight Gwyndolin in Dark Souls. My reaction was a stupefied utterance of "this is loving Anor Londo." I think that was one of my favorite moments in this game.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure, but the cathedral seems smaller in DS3 than it is in DkS. I can't find a good comparison of the two games to verify that, though.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 5, 2016

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also he's visually similar to Nito, in that he's primarily made out of skeletons and an inky black material, the biggest difference is where Nito is wearing a cloak Aldrich has become a disgusting miasma of tar.

He also uses Nito's sword, somewhat inexplicably.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Sum Gai posted:

He also uses Nito's sword, somewhat inexplicably.

Especially since Nito isn't referred to anywhere else in the game, which I've always found really strange. Izalith got its optional area, The Abyss and Dark Soul are still very much important, and Lord Gwyn and his gods are taking center stage again, but Nito isn't even namedropped anywhere.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The best part of Aldrich is his little tracer parade, when he trances with his weapon in the air and summons the little tracer bullets.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Especially since Nito isn't referred to anywhere else in the game, which I've always found really strange. Izalith got its optional area, The Abyss and Dark Soul are still very much important, and Lord Gwyn and his gods are taking center stage again, but Nito isn't even namedropped anywhere.

I personally suspect the Deep is Nito's Death magic/soul/whatever gone out of control, just as Chaos is the Witch's Fire and Abyss is the Pygmy's Humanity/Dark. Also that Aldrich ate him at some point so that his title of Devourer of the Gods is true of two instead of one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds a bit far-fetched.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm not sure what's up with the Deep, or what exactly is effecting Sully either. Sulyvhan and his faction seem to be the (really weirdly proportioned) remains of the Darkmoon, which is obvious. It sounds like he's got two kinds of corruption going on simultaneously. The profaned flame thing is from the profaned capital (which sounds a lot like the flame of chaos, though that doesn't make a lot of sense) seems to have effected him first, while he was already a sorceror, and then for some reason he also became involved with the Deep, promoting/setting up Aldrich. The Darkmoon Judgement Sword is actually attuned to the Deep, not the Darkmoon at all. So he seems to have entirely usurped that faction intentionally, unlike other figures we've encountered where it's more of a corruption thing.

He sprouts branch wings during his second phase that are reminiscent of the Bed of Chaos and other Izalith imagery, so maybe that really is what's going on. Unlike other Lords or faction leaders so far, the Abyss doesn't seem to play a role in his story.

I'm also really confused about Aldrich. His soul only gives weapons and tools associated with Gwyndolin, and we know little directly about him before he became a big sludgepile. He was "inspired" by the Deep while already a cleric, but his connection with it and with Sulyvhan is less than clear. It does appear that he was already a pile of ooze before he left the Cathedral, and was eating people while there. Retrospectively, it appears likely that the inhabitants of the undead settlement were basically his diet, at least for a time.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 7, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sulyvahn is tied with Aldia for my favorite character in the series because, much like Aldia, he has his hands in a shitton of stuff (how much depends on what interpretations you make), even if you don't first realize it when you meet him.

anilEhilated posted:

Sounds a bit far-fetched.

Pretty much all of Lord_Magmar's theories about Souls stuff is.

Discendo Vox posted:

He sprouts branch wings during his second phase that are reminiscent of the Bed of Chaos and other Izalith imagery, so maybe that really is what's going on. Unlike other Lords or faction leaders so far, the Abyss doesn't seem to play a role in his story.

It's probably meant to invoke something else but if I said more I'd be spoiling and I'm sure Iggy will touch on it eventually.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The Deep thing is mainly that it's not the Abyss as far as I can tell, and that we've got upgraded/destructive versions of a few of the other magic/element types. Fire/Pyromancy and Chaos are respectively the normal and wild versions of whatever the Witch of Izalith's powers were. Dark/Humanity and the Abyss are normal and wild versions of the Pygmy's thing. Whilst not one of the original Lord Souls Sorcery also follows this with the normal stuff and the crystal sorcery, especially considering like Chaos and the Abyss crystal sorcery seems to be capable of corrupting people and landscapes.

That's three of the five big names from the opening of Dark Souls 1 having empowered/corruptive/monstrous versions of their element/theme. So I figure the Deep and the Light used by the Fat Knights are the last two to complete the set. Deep being Nito's stuff considering in Dark Souls 1 his magic was miracles and all the deep spells are miracles that tend towards ideas of decay, much like Nito unleashed a miasma of death and decay.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Difficulty in Souls Games and how it regulates itself:
There's no boss to talk about here, nor is there any other pressing topic that needs discussing right this instant, so let's talk about something a little more general.

Were you under the impression that Dark Souls is a hard game? Namco Bandai's very subtle marketing might make you believe this is the case. The consensus of critics and players alike might even confirm this suspicion. it's usually stressed that the series is not for everyone, which, duh... of course. I don't think you needed anyone to tell you that about... well: Any game, really.

But calling it a game "not for everyone" still holds more merit than it would with most other games. Part of the series difficulty surely comes from its rather steep learning curve. The game does things just different enough from what's expected of most players that the way the mechanics interact and even finding a suitable playstyle take some getting used to. From weirdos like me you'll sometimes hear "Yeah, this boss really isn't all that hard" and we can only say that due to the accumulated skill of multiple games carrying over. Even going fron one game or another with slightly altered rhythm are much more manageable by simply having played through a Souls game before.

Not a lot of people are willing to play other games in the series before getting into a game in the series. That's a pretty high barrier of entry if you ask me. While you don't HAVE to have played another Souls game before playing your... well, first Souls game, because that's actually impossible, it just goes to reinforce the point that the games have a rather steep learning curve and it's easy to forget that if you've already "gotten gud"

The world wants you dead and everything in it wants you dead, the game teaches you to be defensive. To counter, rather than initiate. Patience is key and will be rewarded thoroughly. Then how come I have such a blast being relatively reckless? I don't feel this makes the game harder for me. I obviously still need to use my little head to succeed but for most encounters I'll be the first to act. Because the best defense against this harsh cruel world they put you in is actually a good offense. This may just be my playstyle that works for me, and not other people but hbomberguy makes a good point about this in his video about how Bloodborne is so good He covers every Souls game except Dark Souls III in this video and makes the point that the Souls games only truly shine once you cast aside your shield. After I watched that video I found myself actually agreeing with that. I did my first shieldless run as my third or so run of Dark Souls it changed the way I approached encounters drastically and forced me to learn to dodge, but I would not call this approach harder. If you have the time I encourage you to watch that video it's generally got some interesting ideas regarding the Souls series in it. It's an hour and a half, come on!

But let's move on to the question of whether Dark Souls needs an easy mode. The short answer is: "No.", The long answer is: "Yes."

See what I did there? The word yes is longer and the word no, thus it is the longer answer. I explained my joke and that makes it good. But let's elaborate a bit. Because Souls games offer several ways for players to regulate their difficulty to some extent and a lot of people already use these options to make the games easier on them as they let everyone know that they play this really hard game for manly men that makes babies grow beards.

The most general way you can influence your difficulty is your soul- and weapon level. You are never forced to level up yourself or your weapon, so if you feel the game is too easy you can limit yourself to a certain level cap. People challenge themselves by doing SL60, 40, 30, 23, 1/we runs. Some may choose to simply keep their weapon a bit underleveled, which is the main way to influence your damage output. Conversely, if you're having trouble you can "over"level. Grind a bit if you need to, but as long as you don't lose your souls you'll have more of them if you die a lot anyway, because you'll be making your way back to where you were. You'll usually be a higher level at the end of the first playthrough of any given Souls game because of that. It's also the reason you'll hear people being surprised that they were only level 70 at the end of Dark Souls III when they were at around 100 by the end of Dark Souls.

Then there's the whole summoning thing. While there's traditionally been a bit of a risk/reward thing going on by virtue of the fact that by turning human or embered you also invite invaders, summoning is a way many players chose to enjoy the game and it makes it easier for sure. On the other hand, you can also just stay embered and use the Dried Finger, which puts you up in invasion priority, and just not summon. So now you'll have to deal with players of varying skill levels being able to jump you at potentially any time. It's another way to make the game more difficult and exciting.

You could also simply limit your options. For instance try not using any ranged attacks whatsoever for a run. You just can't pull enemies very easily anymore, forcing you into tougher situations.

The level design itself also sometimes allows you to pick a more difficult or an easier route. One of the best examples in the series is still the Iron Golem fight from Dark Souls. If you just head into the boss room without exploring you'll deal with a big black armor wielding a giant axe that also has a ranged attack on narrow footing while a giant throws giant explosives on the central part of the arena that would allow you to maneuver some more. This is the fight at its hardest. Now, there is a NPC phantom called Black Iron Tarkus nearby, you can summon him and he'll help you for the fight. If you want you can also take out the giant who explodes most of the arena over and over. If you do that Tarkus can basically kill the Iron Golem on his own. No interference on the player's part needed.

There's several more situations like this in the games, mostly it boils down to there being an NPC phantom available for a boss. But occasionally there are other ways to make the game harder or easier, not just for bosses. It can be a choice of path or a way to turn off or soften a prominent hazard in a level

So in a way the Souls games already have an easy mode. So I don't think it needs a separate mode to make the game easier, however, I don't think it would be hazardous to the health of any of us if there was a difficulty setting in the games.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 13, 2016

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I found that having watched LPs of Dark Souls before playing it for the first time made it a lot easier. At least I assume it made it easier judging by how I didn't find it even close to as difficult as people claimed it is. My playstyle was however indeed rather slow, I used medium equipment load, relied heavily on the shield and treated rolling as the last resort. I also renamed Ornstein to Kitestein for reason you can probably guess.

A problem I had with Dark Souls was that New Game+ became rather boring. The action itself is not fun enough to carry the game without the character building that's present in New Game, but is rather bare-bone in New Game+ as you have practically everything already and only get more soul levels. However, I'll give the shieldless run a go. If that makes the action much better, then New Game+ should become much more fun as well.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

However, I'll give the shieldless run a go. If that makes the action much better, then New Game+ should become much more fun as well.

From page 1:

Anyway, I never met the archdeacon on account of I couldn't beat the two Pontiff Beasts. Them things are motherfuckers at the best of times - I was only able to beat the one on the bridge by cheating.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

It's also the thread title.
ALSO: Did you know? You can actually dodge the bleed proc if you dodge at the right time.
That's right, i-frames from dodging make you immune to the effects of bleeding out. gently caress YEA MOTHERFUCKER

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The shieldless run has been fun so far. In retrospect, From's implementation of the shield does seem rather strange. The souls series make most defenses that are not action-Y less effective than in real life. For example, armor is in the souls games not nearly as effective as they were for real in the medieval times. Your ability to poke enemies from safe distances is also weakened. The real halberds were often eight feet long and spears could be even longer. In the souls series, not even the pike is anywhere close to that long. Instead, an action move like rolling is made very effective. Parrying is also boosted, which while effective in real life, doesn't cause the opponent stagger unless they are incompetent. It makes sense from a gameplay perspective, if you want to encourage a gameplay full of action, then make action heavy defenses like rolling and parrying more effective than action light defenses like wearing armor and poking enemies with 8+ feet polearms.

The major exception is the act of holding a shield in front of you. If anything, From actually made that tactic more effective than in real life despite it being very light on action.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

The Kid Gloves are Off
Well, honestly they've been off for a while. But, for just a moment, I want to go back to my post about the High Wall of Lothric in which I walked you through how the game holds your hand throughout the area. Mainly because that's not even necessary, but let's talk about some of the areas right here.

The Undead Settlement does its best to guide you towards the optional boss fight against the Curse-rotted Greatwood by making sure you see a huge door if you go the other way first, Farron Keep tries to funnel you with lights as well as points of interest in form of the paths up to the towers, the Catacombs make sure you get an overview of the area as you enter to make sure you immediately know where you want to end up eventually. The Dungeon of Irithyll on the other hand takes away that guidance. Not for the entirety of the level, of course. The longer it goes the more it wants you to go the right way. In the beginning, though, it wants you to feel lost and forces you to explore. Honestly, there isn't too much to the first section of the level. It certainly seems bigger than it is.

You could just go down the correct path by chance at first but even if you do you might not immediately find your way back if you die. both sides of the initial area are mirrored to some degree, so they appear very similar and most people are not able to immediately draw an accurate mental map of the place and there's already a shortcut with in that section and multiple shortcuts to and from it. Alternatively I could argue that it tries to discourage you from going down the path to progress first by placing all these jailers there, but that obviously didn't work on me because I was too busy not noticing that I have no health.

But the game does try to make the jailers as scary as possible. They drain your max health for a short duration, their attacks slow you down and most likely kill you if you let them follow up. So naturally, you'd walk the other way if you see one first, to see if you can avoid them. But eventually you'll have to dare or/and die. This all culminates in what I call the boss fight of Irithyll Dungeon. That one freaking room with a lot of them. To be fair, you can just walk around. If you wait for long enough they'll walk past and be on the other side of the pillar in the middle allowing you to escape from the room towards progress.

As you can probably tell, the above is much less structured than my post about the High Wall. The game now directs you less, though, it still tries to show make the paths that lead to bonfires more appealing. In this case specifically by not being a dozen healthdrain jerks. Don't get me wrong, this level and all the others still guide you to some extent using all the tricks we already know and some unique ones occasionally but the game doesn't hold your hand anymore.

And I know it's weird to say that a Souls game holds ones hand, the truth is it also jerks you around a bit, but for the most part it's not your enemy. It can be a dick at times, and the frequency with which it attempts dick moves increases over time. One of my favorites is the bits earlier on in Irithyll, when we first encounter Silver Knights, there is one staring at a painting of Gwynevere with his back to you. A lot of players will just walk up to him to backstab him only to have a Greatbow Silver Knight pin you to the ground with a giant arrow prompting the first Knight to turn around and attack you. It's easily avoidable, but a lot of people don't for the first time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think the smoke from the Jailers lowers your equip load, causing you to start fatrolling.

They're capable of doing a lot of weird stuff.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I think the smoke from the Jailers lowers your equip load, causing you to start fatrolling.

They're capable of doing a lot of weird stuff.

This is actually an effect of their branding iron. What I didn't know is that their iron also reduces your max health further. The smoke doesn't seem to have any effect. I checked the fextralife and wikia wikis and they don't even mention the smoke. Wikidot has nothing on those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Now that I've had the time to play through the game I've caught up on your LP and am enjoying it greatly.

• Locked thread