Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi guys. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend. I just got a new fishing pole because fishing is fun and I lost my old pole two moves ago. Hoping to catch some nice pan fish at the lake soon.

This thread is to discuss fishing and fishing-related activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Ryoshi posted:

Hi guys. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend. I just got a new fishing pole because fishing is fun and I lost my old pole two moves ago. Hoping to catch some nice pan fish at the lake soon.

I'm your man. Pan fish are loving great. Nothing like a perch or bluegill fry.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Fishing hurts the fish

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

King of Bees posted:

I'm your man. Pan fish are loving great. Nothing like a perch or bluegill fry.

This man knows what's what. Frying up the day's catch is one of the best (and most delicious) summer activities there is.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I did fly fishing guiding for a few years if that's something anyone is interested in

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I have twelve different fishing poles. 😕

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Fishing hurts the fish

Probably? I was always told that they don't have nerves around their lips so they can't feel the hook, but I figure anything getting pulled by its own body weight by its mouth against its will is not going to be super comfortable.

But again, they're delicious.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

King of Bees posted:

I did fly fishing guiding for a few years if that's something anyone is interested in

where at

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

PokeJoe posted:

where at

Out of an airplane dummy

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

PokeJoe posted:

where at

Shenandoah for brookies

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

Shenandoah for brookies

Sometimes Big Hunting in Maryland

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

as a fish, i strongly disagree

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Ok grandpa. Sure it is.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like to use the Ugly Stick brand fishpole and I don't care about the reel

Fish like worms but perches like to eat the eye of their brethern more so that's what I tempt them with

I do not like to catch the cool predator fish like tuna and salmon and trout I would rather they swim around and raise heck

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I am moving near the ocean soon, and will need to learn to catch fish that are > 6 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Sheep-Goats posted:

I like to use the Ugly Stick brand fishpole and I don't care about the reel

Fish like worms but perches like to eat the eye of their brethern more so that's what I tempt them with

I do not like to catch the cool predator fish like tuna and salmon and trout I would rather they swim around and raise heck

I used to have a big surf-caster ugly stick. One of my favorite rods. :quagmire:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

RFC2324 posted:

I am moving near the ocean soon, and will need to learn to catch fish that are > 6 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What ocean? It's all different

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RFC2324 posted:

I think you will find that the "fish" in the bay area are around the six inches in length with the proportionate tubular girth you have been accustomed to since your first "fishing trip" at the age of 15

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
I like to fish but I have zero skill or knowledge. That has not and will not stop me

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ChrisHansen posted:

I like to fish but I have zero skill or knowledge. That has not and will not stop me

If you are smarter than the fish I think you can usually catch some of them, they are not very good at not being caught

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

When I hook a fish I scream "FISH ON!!!"

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are some big ol' bass that hang out near a dock where I go mountain biking. Every few weeks I'll try and tempt them with a new lure and they just laugh and curse me in their hateful fish tongue.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hustlin Floh posted:

There are some big ol' bass that hang out near a dock where I go mountain biking. Every few weeks I'll try and tempt them with a new lure and they just laugh and curse me in their hateful fish tongue.

Worm on hook = bass on hook

client
Aug 19, 2010

whoa

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep-Goats posted:

Worm on hook = bass on hook

Wrong, Mr. Man. These are hipster bass.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csjf9peQowQ

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I only fish for the most dangerous catch: man

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish fishing involved me battling a giant bluegill in an MMA style match. No fish can triumph over me in The Octagon.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i like to catch fish

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
fish is the new slang for aids

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

save money by going fishing in your toilet bowl - from the comfort of your own home!

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine
I fished today and all I got was this sweaty t shirt :(

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

I caught bacterial vaginosis

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Im living the Salt Life :smuggo:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

King of Bees posted:

What ocean? It's all different

Near Tampa, tho I expect trips across to the Orlando side to go lionfish hunting are going to be a thing.

I guess thats not the ocean I'll be near... Gulf of Mexico, regular trips to the Atlantic :v:

\/\/\/\/\/ Then your doing it wrong.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Fishing is boring as gently caress.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

RFC2324 posted:

Near Tampa, tho I expect trips across to the Orlando side to go lionfish hunting are going to be a thing.

I guess thats not the ocean I'll be near... Gulf of Mexico, regular trips to the Atlantic :v:

\/\/\/\/\/ Then your doing it wrong.

I haven't fished the gulf so I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ryoshi posted:

Which rod and reel did you get? What line did you put on it? What are you planning to catch? I'll be finally renewing my license tomorrow, just tied a barrel knot on a jig to the 6 pound line on my ugly stick

• Locked thread