Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Beetlespin for panfish are a good artificial lure, cheap and they give you 3 rubber replacements in the box! The spinner part lasts forever, and you can reuse it with different plastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I went fishing over the weekend at a really lovely time (noon on a sunny day, 95 degrees out - but there was supposed to be a huge storm later when I would normally go). I still caught all the little panfish I normally do but the place was crowded with people including this one dude that cast like he was trying to punish his lure whipping his pole right behind my head for an hour straight.

It was actually really annoying and I need to do some fishing to calm down and get over it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I also went fishing yesterday. It was great except for the part where I slipped on a rock and somehow fell so that the full force of the impact was on my rear end in a top hat. Like, it felt like someone had spread my butt and hit it with a baseball bat. I was standing on and fell onto a huge smooth rock so no idea what happened.

Fun trip other then that.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Traveled across the country earlier this month to my dad's house, got in some fishing but no crabbing.

Edit:
This was a year ago, I was very excited to be fishing.

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 27, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

popewiles posted:

Traveled across the country earlier this month to my dad's house, got in some fishing but no crabbing.

Edit:
This was a year ago, I was very excited to be fishing.

Ah yes, that much misunderstood alternative to drunk fishing, tweaked fishing.

Also, what did you catch there?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

RFC2324 posted:

Ah yes, that much misunderstood alternative to drunk fishing, tweaked fishing.

Also, what did you catch there?

I believe it was a small perch. He went back in the water, didn't catch anything big enough to cook that day.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I tried fishing a couple years ago, here's the questions I have left over from then:

We have an artificial trout season so I fished for them, I used trout bait, and they ate it almost immediately, so fast it seemed like cheating. The problem was I didn't set the hook right, it got them in the gut the two or three times I caught them. I was planning on eating them and harvested them as soon as I caught them so it wasn't any big deal, but if I caught something I didn't want and it got hooked in the gut what do you do? Am I using the wrong hook or something?

If I go again it'll be most likely for pan fish (I live in SC Kansas), what else is good to eat (bass?). I don't like catfish.

Is there like a laminated sheet with fish species on it I can buy? I'm wary I'll catch something and not know what it is.

And what do you do with the guts? Some reservoirs around here have fish cleaning stations, but not all of them. Do you just throw it back in the lake (I've read this is okay in some places but I'm not sure about it.)

What I did last time is: catch fish, harvest it like I saw in some video of a Japanese fish monger (cut through the artery/spine immediately) and put it on ice. I then gutted them in the back of my truck and left the guts in a dumpster (there was no sign saying not to.) Guts in a random dumpster doesn't seem like the responsible option though. Should I just gut them at home and throw them in the trash? I don't have a lot of space for that.

Oh, and what about scales? I badly filleted my trout last time, and I'm not opposed to eating the skin. What fish need descaled and which don't (again the fish around here are panfish, bass, catfish (yuck), who knows what else.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
As for gut hooking, that is what happens with bait and with plastics if you miss the hit or wait too long to set the hook. Switch to a reaction lure like a small spinner or an artificial bug on a small jig. With any non-fast moving lure you need to watch the line in addition to trying to feel the hit. When in doubt, set the hook.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thylacine posted:

I tried fishing a couple years ago, here's the questions I have left over from then:

We have an artificial trout season so I fished for them, I used trout bait, and they ate it almost immediately, so fast it seemed like cheating. The problem was I didn't set the hook right, it got them in the gut the two or three times I caught them. I was planning on eating them and harvested them as soon as I caught them so it wasn't any big deal, but if I caught something I didn't want and it got hooked in the gut what do you do? Am I using the wrong hook or something?

If I go again it'll be most likely for pan fish (I live in SC Kansas), what else is good to eat (bass?). I don't like catfish.

Is there like a laminated sheet with fish species on it I can buy? I'm wary I'll catch something and not know what it is.

And what do you do with the guts? Some reservoirs around here have fish cleaning stations, but not all of them. Do you just throw it back in the lake (I've read this is okay in some places but I'm not sure about it.)

What I did last time is: catch fish, harvest it like I saw in some video of a Japanese fish monger (cut through the artery/spine immediately) and put it on ice. I then gutted them in the back of my truck and left the guts in a dumpster (there was no sign saying not to.) Guts in a random dumpster doesn't seem like the responsible option though. Should I just gut them at home and throw them in the trash? I don't have a lot of space for that.

Oh, and what about scales? I badly filleted my trout last time, and I'm not opposed to eating the skin. What fish need descaled and which don't (again the fish around here are panfish, bass, catfish (yuck), who knows what else.

You can use circle hooks, they hook the fish in the corner of the mouth more often than not. That does less damage to the fish and also means you can get the hook out quicker if you plan on letting it go.

If you have a garden bury the guts in it. They're great fertilizer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Around here throwing guts in the lake would probably be frowned upon but I can't see it bringing down the wrath of the DNR or anything. But like someone else said, bury them where you're growing things.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ryoshi posted:

Around here throwing guts in the lake would probably be frowned upon but I can't see it bringing down the wrath of the DNR or anything. But like someone else said, bury them where you're growing things.

The fishing barge near me has a cleaning station that just sluices the guts into the lake. It attracts more fish. :shrug:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I did some fishing in the surf last week, caught a bunch of roundhead. Fried them :yum:

Spot and roundhead especially are dank as hell and they're too small for commercial fishing so the populations are good and healthy. Haven't seen spot yet this year though

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 29, 2016

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Looking into getting into kayak fishing. Any tips or things I should be concerned about?

New to kayaking, not to fishing.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Learning how to use a baitcaster and I caught 3 small bass and a handful of other little guys tonight. I see the advantages of a baitcaster, but casting it makes me feel like a little kid trying to learn to fish all over again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Looking into getting into kayak fishing. Any tips or things I should be concerned about?

Buy a simple used kayak from a good brand. Don't jump into getting a tricked out fishing kayak right away. You will always want a loaner/beater down the road. Find a local forum and read it all. Before you buy any boat, really think about how you will store and transport it, if it is too much of a pain you are less likely to use it. Buy a fishing specific pfd and fill the pockets with gear so you are never tempted to go without it. Accept that you will loose a rig at some point.

Where are you located? Your choice of boat is really dependent on where you will be fishing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Thread is great. I used to go fishing for whatever little fuckers were in the pond by my work. Now i live in Colorado. What sort of basic gear should I stock back up on? I would like to eventually learn to fly fish but that is way down the road. Keep it up chill fishing dudes

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Reckon you could make paddles... with spears on them, and the spear has spears that go sideways, and those spears have barbs. :clint:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

bongwizzard posted:

Buy a simple used kayak from a good brand. Don't jump into getting a tricked out fishing kayak right away. You will always want a loaner/beater down the road. Find a local forum and read it all. Before you buy any boat, really think about how you will store and transport it, if it is too much of a pain you are less likely to use it. Buy a fishing specific pfd and fill the pockets with gear so you are never tempted to go without it. Accept that you will loose a rig at some point.

Where are you located? Your choice of boat is really dependent on where you will be fishing.

Delaware area, so I have the Chesapeake bay and lots of inlets/streams to choose from. Also ponds at state parks, stuff like that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Delaware area, so I have the Chesapeake bay and lots of inlets/streams to choose from. Also ponds at state parks, stuff like that.

PM sent.

Check out Delaware Paddle Sports, they usually have a bunch of used yaks and iirc do rentals and demo days.

Obviously starting in the bay proper is not the best idea, but most of the Delaware ponds are decent to great for yak fishing and would be a great place to learn. If you do want to hit the bay you are going to want a longer/sleeker boat to deal with both waves and the longer distances you are likely to paddle.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Yeah, I'll probably fart around at Lums Pond or Killens Pond if I'm feeling adventurous, then go from there.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Thread is great. I used to go fishing for whatever little fuckers were in the pond by my work. Now i live in Colorado. What sort of basic gear should I stock back up on? I would like to eventually learn to fly fish but that is way down the road. Keep it up chill fishing dudes

Depends on what you're aiming for. If you're fishing mostly larger streams and rivers, or large ponds/lakes, a simple spincast or baitcasting rig will work.

For fly fishing, you can nab a decent all in one from redington (rs4) or Cabela for about $200.

In Colorado, simple jigs and crank bait win out. Original floating rapalas and the countdown line work extremely well as a general lure.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

PM sent.

Check out Delaware Paddle Sports, they usually have a bunch of used yaks and iirc do rentals and demo days.

Obviously starting in the bay proper is not the best idea, but most of the Delaware ponds are decent to great for yak fishing and would be a great place to learn. If you do want to hit the bay you are going to want a longer/sleeker boat to deal with both waves and the longer distances you are likely to paddle.

To add to the rentals and demo days, there often are kayak fishing clubs and informal kayak fishing groups, joining up with one can provide a good source of a lot of useful information and group outings, which are honestly great fun be they fishing or general camping/expedition outings.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Smart move, you catch way more fish from a yak.

Do some reading up on what effect the different characteristics of the kayak on the ride, length, width, rudder/no rudder, peddle/paddle etc. Compare those tot he type of fishing you want to do and come up with some models that will suit your purposes. The roto-molded plastic kayaks are very durable and second hand ones are usually still sound. Best thing is you can often pick one up that is fully kitted out with a sounder and rod holders.

Have a good think about safety gear, in particular clothing. I don't know what the water temperatures are like where you are but you can pass out very quickly in cold water without a decent wetsuit or themals. Clothing that gets waterlogged can make it hard to remount if you fall out too.

I try and get out whenever I can, although it's loving cold this time of year. This was from earlier in the year chasing yellowtail kingfish

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I kayak fished tournaments in San Diego and fished yellow tail out La Jolla cove. This was about 8 years ago. If I had to do it over again I'd buy a hobie with the peddle system. Really helps you stay locked in the current and you can stay in a spot and keep fishing. Also, put a a fish finder on there. They're pretty cheap and easy to install. And a live well if you're fishing ocean. You can make them with a cheap cooler, hose, and a bilge pump. The battery for both is a little heavy but theres lots of ways to make one with AA rechargeable ones. Get a rivet gun and dremel and marine glue and install all your own poo poo. It's not hard. Just tips I learned back in the day. If you buy used watch out for any "repaired cracks". Walk away.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I went for a Native for my fancy fishing yak, mainly because I fish close to cover way way more then open water, so being able to reverse was more importing then speed. I got the 10' one, so it is like a plastic bathtub with a propeller, but I am love it so far.

I am left handed and want to switch the rudder over, but holy poo poo I cannot understand how the hell they get the cables run at the factory, unless they have somehow trained infants to crawl into the hull and work.

Any of you guys have long skinny arms with an extra elbow, hit me up.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I feel like people in this thread have a different definition of what a kayak is than I do...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Pedde kayaks rule dude.

If it helps, think of fishing kayaks at people-powered jonboats rather then a plastic coffin to throw one's self into a raging river in.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
On this 4th of July weekend, my father caught a heavily pregnant catfish with eggs in her with my redneck neighbor helping out by getting the fish in a net when it was near shore and pulling it to dry land together. Was about 3.5 feet big.
The bait used was a chunk of terribly burnt Italian sausage attached to the hook.

So take that as you will.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EorayMel posted:

On this 4th of July weekend, my father caught a heavily pregnant catfish with eggs in her with my redneck neighbor helping out by getting the fish in a net when it was near shore and pulling it to dry land together. Was about 3.5 feet big.
The bait used was a chunk of terribly burnt Italian sausage attached to the hook.

So take that as you will.

this could be a fishing report or an actual episode of Catfish

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Went out and caught a bunch of bluegill and perch. General panfish, nothing fancy. Nothing was big enough to keep, but it was fun getting back into the swing of things after a few years of neglecting the hobby.

Managed to hook a snapping turtle right in the face, though. Felt pretty bad about it.

Tiny baby fish:

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 5, 2016

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Omg cuters!! :coolfish: :3:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

King of Bees posted:

I did fly fishing guiding for a few years if that's something anyone is interested in

please tell me how to fish, i like to fish but i have nothing except money

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

One time when I was little, my dad and uncle went fishing and when my uncle was gutting one of the fish, he found a smaller fish that it had just eaten. So he gave it to me and I spent the rest of the day shoving my new fish in everyone's faces. Well, that's my fishing story.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

http://lib.ru/ZELQZNY/TheDoorsofHisFaceTheLampsofHisMouth.txt_with-big-pictures.html

this is a sci fi story about fishing

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

BONGHITZ posted:

please tell me how to fish, i like to fish but i have nothing except money

What kind of fishing are you looking to do? Salt or fresh water?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

LowPartz posted:

What kind of fishing are you looking to do? Salt or fresh water?

fresh water, probably Folsom lake in California.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Are fishing license generally pro-rated for the year. I guess I could call the state, but they want $30 for one in Kansas, :ohdear:.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

BONGHITZ posted:

fresh water, probably Folsom lake in California.

What kind of fish?

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

thylacine posted:

Are fishing license generally pro-rated for the year. I guess I could call the state, but they want $30 for one in Kansas, :ohdear:.

Call a license bureau. Or, since you live in Kansas, pick a direction, walk for five minutes, and go into a Walmart. They sell em there, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

LowPartz posted:

What kind of fish?

probably whatever kind are in folsom lake

• Locked thread