Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

utterlycorrupt posted:

What's going on here in terms of species? Just curious because I've seen bluefish come up on bunker schools so hard it looks like a depth charge when they pop up all at once. This looks similar.

I believe that's exactly what that is. Bluefish chasing bunker somewhere in the northeast.

fake edit: GIS confirms it and says New Jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Why did I bookmark this thread? It's really going nowhere. Much like fishing.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Imagine fishing for whale sharks

and maybe blue whales.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

psychokitty posted:

Why did I bookmark this thread? It's really going nowhere. Much like fishing.

so what size bobber and lawn chair do you fish with? extra wide, and extra wide?

i rarely go five minutes without a bite or a fight, and this thread is full of cool dudes with similar actually fun and useful, efficient approaches to fishing

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
can you really use crack for fishbait like King of the Hill did (asking for a friend)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I was out fishing tonight just off a little pier - nothing great was biting but the weather was gorgeous and it was really peaceful.

I also saw a big 1.5 foot snapping turtle just swimming around and chilling, it had like a dozen bluegills following it everywhere it went and eating the scum off of its shell. It was awesome.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

extra stout posted:

so what size bobber and lawn chair do you fish with? extra wide, and extra wide?

i rarely go five minutes without a bite or a fight, and this thread is full of cool dudes with similar actually fun and useful, efficient approaches to fishing

Oh poo poo did you think I was insulting you and your hobby?

Lol

Beeman pls tell this goon what's what.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
Fishing report:
Early afternoon was 5 smallmouth ranging from 1 to 4 lbs, pond, muddy water, red 1/4 oz. Strike King spinner with Colorado blade
Evening was different pond, clear water, 2 largemouth, one on a spinner that has never produced, crayfish colored, which i promptly lost after a 4 lb catch, and a 2 lb. Caught on a rattling top water rebel frog, hard body, not the kind thrown into pads.

A good day.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

extra stout posted:

a tryhard at fishing. only a goon

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I agree, fisting is cool and good

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Zorodius posted:

I agree, fisting is cool and good

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
llook at this bag of flukes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm going to reveal my scrub-ness here but I never have any drat luck at all with any kind of artificial bait - I used to be able to get some action with the little rubber flukes with the spin tails but recently just absolutely nothing.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I want to do some stream/lakeshore backpacking fishing for trout. Anyone have any recommendations for portable rods/reels? Lighter weight would be good. Would 6 lb test be best for this?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Putty posted:

llook at this bag of flukes

gently caress Zoom flukes, they are always all bent and poo poo out of the package but they still seem to work the loving best it is so frustrating. The JR's are crap though and I have more or less given up on finding a good <4" fluke so now I am messing around with finesse shakyheads.

Ryoshi posted:

I'm going to reveal my scrub-ness here but I never have any drat luck at all with any kind of artificial bait - I used to be able to get some action with the little rubber flukes with the spin tails but recently just absolutely nothing.

What are you fishing for? I prefer lures due to being hyperactive but to use them well you have to find the fish, as opposed to bait where you can just wait until one swims on by.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

I want to do some stream/lakeshore backpacking fishing for trout. Anyone have any recommendations for portable rods/reels? Lighter weight would be good. Would 6 lb test be best for this?

Do you want like a spinning rig or a fly/tenkana set up?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

bongwizzard posted:

Do you want like a spinning rig or a fly/tenkana set up?

Probably spinning. The tenkanafly is tempting but I do run out to lakes so I'd like some versatility. Can you lake fish for trout with a tenkana rig easily?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

OMGVBFLOL posted:

a tryhard at fishing. only a goon

it would be much goonier to be an alcoholic who gets his food from a bottle or a bag than to be good at catching and cleaning fish, sorry to negate your post

*hunting version of this logic*

lol frank shot a deer!! and ate it!! that loving tryhard idiot, i'm just here to get fuckin rekt and wear this new camo

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

extra stout posted:

it would be much goonier to be an alcoholic who gets his food from a bottle or a bag than to be good at catching and cleaning fish, sorry to negate your post

lol frank shot a deer!! and ate it!! that loving tryhard idiot, i'm just here to get fuckin rekt and wear this new camo

And say you're going "cunting", instead of "hunting", because swearing is edgy too

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Oscar Wild posted:

Probably spinning. The tenkanafly is tempting but I do run out to lakes so I'd like some versatility. Can you lake fish for trout with a tenkana rig easily?

No idea honestly how tenkara works in non-moving water.

I have a few different rigs that I hike with, depending on the expected hike/fish breakdown of the day. If I am hiking to go fishing, I bring a single rod and enough tackle to cover whatever I expect to encounter. If I am hiking mainly and just fishing for a bit I have an ML Okuma travel rod that I pIr with a 2000 sized reel. It is light enough and comes in a hard tube that fits in a pack's water-bottle pocket, but you have to assemble and rig it every time, which is kinda lame. If I am just hiking but maybe might see some water, I bring a cheap telescoping rod with a 1000 reel and an Altoids tin jammed with some universal lures. It is nice as you can keep it rigged and make a few casts then move on without making folks wait for you to break down your rig.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
On Saturday I caught a few beautiful brookies and F&G finally did something about the guys illegally using bait in my preferred fly fishing spot. A good day

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

walgreenslatino posted:

On Saturday I caught a few beautiful brookies and F&G finally did something about the guys illegally using bait in my preferred fly fishing spot. A good day

Good. I hated that poo poo. Fishing is cool and good. Poaching is not.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Not as many crazy rednecks as TX, and from people who live there I understand that you stay out of northern FL, and stay away from Miami, and its pretty chill.

My fiancee is insisting on it since she has elderly family there, so I gotta find silver linings until they die. :negative:

Screw that. You go to Miami and catch peacock bass in the canal in your back yard.

I used to live in Fort Lauderdale and Broward county is absolutely full of canals and little ponds. Tons of fish to catch. Plus the Everglades are nearby if you are feeling adventurous.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Fishing is awesome and i need to do it more and better.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

gwarm01 posted:

Screw that. You go to Miami and catch peacock bass in the canal in your back yard.

I used to live in Fort Lauderdale and Broward county is absolutely full of canals and little ponds. Tons of fish to catch. Plus the Everglades are nearby if you are feeling adventurous.

I'll be living gulf side, but I plan on making lionfish hunting in the atlantic a thing, if nothing else.

You know, the once til I get stung to death.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

pike hunting

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
what if I don't want to catch fish but really like drinking in a boat

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
fishing in Australia is pretty good, you get to catch things like this and other sharks and rays

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

extra stout posted:

how many mintues you go between bites bro

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
what's a good way to eat a fish?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Mein Eyes! posted:

what's a good way to eat a fish?

Very carefully

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

extra stout posted:

extra stout posted:

i thought about these again and lold irl

look at these loving posts lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zorodius posted:

what if I don't want to catch fish but really like drinking in a boat

That's basically fishing in my experience. Out of all the times I went I can only remember catching anything bigger than my hand (if anything) probably 5% of the time.

I have yet to catch anything on an artificial lure, except one time I hooked a bluegill somehow in its side. Other than that I never get any bites on them. Usually I use frozen squid for saltwater but that gets really gross as the day goes on and the fish just tear it off the hook most of the time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

What are you fishing for? I prefer lures due to being hyperactive but to use them well you have to find the fish, as opposed to bait where you can just wait until one swims on by.

Usually just bluegill and pan fish. I really only use artificial lures if I know there's a lot of bigger smallmouth or something in the water but like I said I never have any luck with it (maybe I'm just a total idiot).

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Wanted to go fishing tomorrow after work but it's going to be over 110 with heat index so welp, gently caress.

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015

Ryoshi posted:

Usually just bluegill and pan fish. I really only use artificial lures if I know there's a lot of bigger smallmouth or something in the water but like I said I never have any luck with it (maybe I'm just a total idiot).

If you want an easy way to catch the bass where you're fishing, grab a pack of 7 inch Berkley power worms Black/Blue fleck or pumpkinseed color and learn how to Texas rig them. There are tons of ways to fish soft plastics but the Texas rig always seems to catch bass consistently.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

King of Bees posted:

Wanted to go fishing tomorrow after work but it's going to be over 110 with heat index so welp, gently caress.

Do you see now??? Fishing =/= cool!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

psychokitty posted:

Do you see now??? Fishing =/= cool!

Fishing can be hawt!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Ryoshi posted:

If you have open water, make like a mini popping cork rig with a small bobber and a 1/32oz jighead. Buy a jar of the Gulp 1" or 1.5" grubs and you will catch some bluegills/sunfish.

But again, reading about how a given species lives and feeds, and then learning how to read a body of water to deduce where the fish are holding is going to improve your catch rate more then any lure will alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

bongwizzard posted:

If you have open water, make like a mini popping cork rig with a small bobber and a 1/32oz jighead. Buy a jar of the Gulp 1" or 1.5" grubs and you will catch some bluegills/sunfish.

But again, reading about how a given species lives and feeds, and then learning how to read a body of water to deduce where the fish are holding is going to improve your catch rate more then any lure will alone.

I always go talk to the old men (usually asian) about how fish saltwater shore areas as they are the masters.

• Locked thread