Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I tried fishing a couple years ago, here's the questions I have left over from then:

We have an artificial trout season so I fished for them, I used trout bait, and they ate it almost immediately, so fast it seemed like cheating. The problem was I didn't set the hook right, it got them in the gut the two or three times I caught them. I was planning on eating them and harvested them as soon as I caught them so it wasn't any big deal, but if I caught something I didn't want and it got hooked in the gut what do you do? Am I using the wrong hook or something?

If I go again it'll be most likely for pan fish (I live in SC Kansas), what else is good to eat (bass?). I don't like catfish.

Is there like a laminated sheet with fish species on it I can buy? I'm wary I'll catch something and not know what it is.

And what do you do with the guts? Some reservoirs around here have fish cleaning stations, but not all of them. Do you just throw it back in the lake (I've read this is okay in some places but I'm not sure about it.)

What I did last time is: catch fish, harvest it like I saw in some video of a Japanese fish monger (cut through the artery/spine immediately) and put it on ice. I then gutted them in the back of my truck and left the guts in a dumpster (there was no sign saying not to.) Guts in a random dumpster doesn't seem like the responsible option though. Should I just gut them at home and throw them in the trash? I don't have a lot of space for that.

Oh, and what about scales? I badly filleted my trout last time, and I'm not opposed to eating the skin. What fish need descaled and which don't (again the fish around here are panfish, bass, catfish (yuck), who knows what else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Are fishing license generally pro-rated for the year. I guess I could call the state, but they want $30 for one in Kansas, :ohdear:.

• Locked thread