Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

SteveVizsla posted:

According to the interviews for this season, Jeff and Jordan are still engaged; he said so during his Glen interview. How the gently caress does Jeff still have a job with CBS? He's dumb and terrible and needs to stop the spray tan.

He and Jordan have been milking this for years. I mean it took them what? 4 years to even move to the same city as each other? They are going to string out this engagement and then have a TV wedding followed by a reality show.

SteveVizsla posted:

Paul – Helllll yes. Victor doesn’t even exist with Paul around. I have a feeling this is going to be an unpopular opinion.

I...I don't...You know what? Insane bearded men need love too so I won't judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Eltoasto posted:

I...I don't...You know what? Insane bearded men need love too so I won't judge.

Hahaha I knew this was going to be an unpopular opinion. James from BB9 is probably my favorite player ever, if that helps this make a little more sense.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SteveVizsla posted:

Bronte – Jesus A Christ. If you’re a “mathematician” who can’t do even basic math in your head and need a calculator for everything, you’re not really a mathematician.

This isn't true. Many brilliant mathematicians are terrible at mental arithmetic since it's not required for formulating theorems and proofs, or performing statistical analysis (the typical activities of mathematicians). Arithmetic on a large scale will always be done via a computer, and on a small scale it's often quicker to whip out a calculator anyway (even for those who're good at mental arithmetic). It's honestly really unfortunate that western mathematical education (at the primary and secondary levels) emphasize arithmetic; it's really not that important and gives people a false view of what math is. It also results in a lot of people deciding they "hate math" because they aren't strong in a skill that isn't really required to be a mathematician/engineer/etc anyway.

So her being like that doesn't indicate that she's not a good mathematician. It's also important to remember that production tells people to emphasize these traits in their introduction videos (which is a reason why I hate the self introductions so much; it's basically "stereotype yourself really heavily please!!!"). That said, I don't think SAT/ACT tutors really do that much math anyway, but I'm guessing she's trying to get into grad school.

She's also freaking adorable.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

her name in this household is "smart Tori Spelling"

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Arcanen posted:

This isn't true. Many brilliant mathematicians are terrible at mental arithmetic since it's not required for formulating theorems and proofs, or performing statistical analysis (the typical activities of mathematicians). Arithmetic on a large scale will always be done via a computer, and on a small scale it's often quicker to whip out a calculator anyway (even for those who're good at mental arithmetic). It's honestly really unfortunate that western mathematical education (at the primary and secondary levels) emphasize arithmetic; it's really not that important and gives people a false view of what math is. It also results in a lot of people deciding they "hate math" because they aren't strong in a skill that isn't really required to be a mathematician/engineer/etc anyway.

So her being like that doesn't indicate that she's not a good mathematician. It's also important to remember that production tells people to emphasize these traits in their introduction videos (which is a reason why I hate the self introductions so much; it's basically "stereotype yourself really heavily please!!!"). That said, I don't think SAT/ACT tutors really do that much math anyway, but I'm guessing she's trying to get into grad school.

She's also freaking adorable.

But not knowing 9x9?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Do I like Mama Day this year or is it like a lesser of 2 evils kinda thing?

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
I'm a fan, she has great DRs and it'll be fun to watch when she inevitably blows up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Da' was pretty fun last season in the short Week 1 dose. It was just in Week 2 when she went on the block and literally rejected olive branches to save her that I turned on her.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh good it's the annual inevitable all-female alliance that won't last more than a week.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I took a few years off from watching BB, but I'm back now! When did they switch the nomination ceremony box from the big round thing where all the safe people are revealed to the much lamer two nominee box?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Two seasons ago. You missed the Battle of the Block. For the last two seasons there's been 2 HOHs and 4 Nominees and the two teams of nominees would compete to see who stayed HOH/nominated. It was terrible and its thankfully gone, but thanks to the four nominees they ditched the traditional key ceremony and its never come back. Which is even more tragic than the BotB itself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wow that block battle thing sounds atrocious

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You have absolutely no idea.

It invalidated the HOH comp and its power since you not only weren't guaranteed to be safe that week but you could nominate two people who come down and then you could go up. You were actively discouraged from putting up strong players because they'd have a better chance of winning BotB so the only smart move was to put up pawns, ideally ones who agreed to throw the comp. So then you had dueling pawns throwing comps against each other while all the strong players waited to be backdoored. And all of this encouraged the house to group up into a majority that could game the system making the possibility of a minority power flip almost entirely impossible.

And then they brought it back for a second season and tried to claim it was a "fan favorite."

The only interesting/good thing about BotB is that it added to Derrick's legacy because it means not only did he win BB without ever being nominated but he did it in a season where four people got nominated nearly every week. And that's just insane.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 27, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

jivjov posted:

I took a few years off from watching BB, but I'm back now! When did they switch the nomination ceremony box from the big round thing where all the safe people are revealed to the much lamer two nominee box?

I like it better now to be honest. The way they edit the show you already knew the nominations were between 2 or 3 people anyway. But they had a 5-10 minute segment where everyone that you knew was safe had to pull a key. Now it's just straight forward.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Holy moley Paul and Jozea are insufferable. I'm not sure what's worse, Paul's ignorance of how poo poo a player he is, or Jozea's delusion that he's so likeable. I'd say the latter, I think Paul at least understands he's an rear end in a top hat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I like it better now to be honest. The way they edit the show you already knew the nominations were between 2 or 3 people anyway. But they had a 5-10 minute segment where everyone that you knew was safe had to pull a key. Now it's just straight forward.

True; I guess I just have an attachment to the pageantry of the whole thing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it was just a classic BB thing so you miss it. I don't really disagree that those 2 minutes are better served on some other footage.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

It was fun to watch the order of the keys being pulled because it sometimes showed the HoH's loyalties, but the airtime is better spent elsewhere. Especially with how it took the HoH so drat long to walk the wheelie and explain the rules of the key pulling AND SO ON AND SO FORTH.

Jozea trashing Nicole in the bathroom while Bridgette puts on makeup and says "Why would you say that you're targeting her? ... I follow her on Twitter." That was hilarious.

Also, Corey seems to be homophobic on the live feeds and making sure that everyone knows he's NOT gay. I hope the editors keep up their troll job of making him seem as gay as possible on the show. First with how he wanted a bromance with Victor and now with how good he thinks Paulie and Frankie look in their pixel suits.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the producers are making cuts that Corey either is in the closet or drat close. Maybe it's confirmation bias but every time they showed Paulie or Frank in the pixel suits it would cut to Corey with big ol' smile and eyes like he likes what he sees. He's not getting a very friendly 'I'm totally straight' edit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, its not even production. Corey spends a lot of time and energy saying things and then obsessively telling people why it didn't make him gay when no one was thinking it did. Its basically a defining character trait. This is just an example of editing really capturing the houseguest's personality.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

jivjov posted:

Honestly, I'd go watch the past few seasons first. I hate 90% of this cast

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pillowpants posted:

Honestly, I'd go watch the past few seasons first. I hate 90% of this cast

I dunno, I'm liking most of them (admittedly in a "love to hate" sort of way for a few)

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
This season has been one of my favorite first week's in a long time, I mean sure I hate the new nerd nerd as much as anyone else, but they are all almost certainly screwed, with a big majority of the house against them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The last two seasons have two of the better/best players in recent memory so I'd say they're solid seasons to watch. They have their slow points (but all seasons do) and they're not volatile/angry casts but there's a lot of gameplay and two really memorable players/games.

The BotB just sucks and ruins a lot, especially in BB16. It wasn't as much of a game changer in BB17 and if I remember right they pulled it early. But like, binges help. There's none of that weeklong hope that something will happen.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 28, 2016

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

The Corey commenting about guys thing is my second favorite thing about this season so far, given he's a homophobic southern frat boy.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The first time he's nominated Corey will definitely demand to be let into the DR so he can call his dad to fix it

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else find it to be cringe inducing every time they talk about what idiotic name they're going to give to the alliance they just created?

It's painful to watch, I turn the sound off on my tv until it's over. I'm guessing that at some point, some group of idiots tried to do the same thing on Survivor, and the producers forbid them from using the name. There seems to be a rule that everything about Big Brother must be as cheesy as it can possibly be.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, the Chill Town name came so organically and since then every alliance has to have a name. Contrast with Survivor where no alliance has a name unless you count original tribe names.

They should have come into the house with alliance names in their minds already.
My majority alliance would be the House Pests.
My secret final 2 deal would be Floaters United (aka F.U.).

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
alliance names are the best (even though they are almost always the dumbest alliance name ever)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I've changed my opinions on Michelle. Her intro in the first episode made me hate her but that seems more and more to be a put on by the producers. She just seems like she'll be fun to watch play. Bridgette is awesome too.

I loving hate Bronte though. Her voice is bad enough but her personality is even worse.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If I were in the house, I would like to name my alliance the most ridiculous thing possible, to get the producers to ban the name. Then come up with another one just as bad.

"Let's call ourselves the Date Rapists!"

Ban.

"We've decided to name ourselves the Buttfuckers".

Ban.

"Ok, we're now called Assassinate the President".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Andy and Frankie and players like that do that all the time. Its a yearly thing that just doesn't make tv. From what I can tell when one of them does that production basically tells them to go gently caress themselves and that they won't get on TV as long as they gently caress around. But Andy would talk about it all the time and he was super proud of the idea.

Banned alliance names happens all the time. Derrick and Cody were originally "Jump Street", which was a tragedy when BB made them change it. Amanda, Judd, McRae, and Andy had like 20 names because they kept calling themselves copywritten (The Goof Troop) or vulgar names. The basically ran the house for weeks and the show never acknowledged them as an alliance until Aaryn joined and they get a TV approved "3AM" name.

There's already been a banned alliance name this season.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I feel like team unicorn should have been banned due to being stupid as poo poo.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

I feel like team unicorn should have been banned due to being stupid as poo poo.

It's about as stupid as calling yourself the dragon slayer.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

thexerox123 posted:

only if he was calling himself that ironically

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm the only fan of TEAM UNICORN!dodododo!(minus Victor)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

JakeP posted:

only if he was calling himself that ironically

Are you saying that Team Unicorn was named ironically? Cause I don't think that's true.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

thexerox123 posted:

I don't think you get the reason why I love Coach.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

I don't think you get the reason why I love Coach.

No, I get it, I love Coach too. But that's my point. If you start banning stuff for being stupid as poo poo, think of what kind of wonderfully stupid stuff you might lose out on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Have we ever seen someone quite so deluded as Jozea?

• Locked thread