Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

SSNeoman posted:

Oh interesting. So there are like stat checks and you can basically keep at it till you're good enough. Neat!

Do people get hit by buses a lot in Japan or something? I see this exact scenario over and over. Like Konosuba had it (or well a parody of it)

Man, that's hardly all that Konosuba has in common with this game.

Satsuko seems more useful than Aqua, at least! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'd been holding off on showing the save screen since I didn't feel like showing off the cycle part yet. Incidentally, my previous run took 14 cycles to complete. I don't think I got an ending until the 4th cycle. Some people have reported not being able to get an ending until their 9th cycle but that's something easily avoided. We'll have to pick some characters to hang out with soon...

Grabbed a point of Fitness. And drat, May 23th is still bugging me.

For Aya's quiz, we said attending a club is our favourite after school activity, getting involved is important, we'd do something nice to impress someone, we'd like something hand-made and that a career is the most important thing.

Quite a contrast to our first Goon who said his favourite thing was going to work, learning all you can was critical, he'd just be himself to impress someone, he'd like some money and living how you wanted to was most important.

The rest of the conversation with Aya's nothing new. We're going to be seeing a lot of repeated events so I'll skip over content that's been done before.

We've been doing a bit of working out/science work for the first bit until this fires off...

...Yeah, we're getting the exact same chain of events. I know for certain there's an alternate set of events you meet Kiku with Hiroshi and Alice with Yui. At least we can use some foreknowledge here.

: You have a crush on him, right?

: You're blushing.

: As if! You're making stuff up.

: If you say so.

: He's one of the most popular guys in school, and good at everything, that's all. You could probably learn a thing or two from hanging out with him, Lorde.

: I'll keep that in mind...

From here, we return to old territory.

: Hello, you must be Alice.

: This is Lorde Goon.

: What's going on?

: That's how you treat girls, so...

: Hey, not ALL girls. What about me? Hiroshi and I are great friends!

: That's only because you suck up to him!

: Hey, calm down, everyone. So what's on the agenda today for student council?

From here on, it's normal chat until we get to ask about stuff.

: Let me guess... something with showgirls, Hiroshi?

...I still can't get over how this is an option.

: Hmph, you guys are all the same...

: Heh, I can't wait. I hope Naoko will volunteer to be a showgirl...

teenagers.txt

: HEY!

: She's always running off to Karaoke World. How mature.

Kind of like how differently this finishes. We do some Science and Art until we get a new event next week.

You remember this scene?

Goon has a summary. He won't always have it but it's usually pretty easy to remember common events like this. One-time events and rare events that happened like 5 cycles ago? Harder to remember.

This event continues on as normal until we get to the choices.

: Hiroshi, maybe if you calmed down a bit, she'd actually tell you why she's upset.

:cool:

: Y-yeah, I would...

: Here's your chance to tell your brother what's wrong, Rena. Go ahead!

: Well?

: My favourite pen ran out of ink. That's all!

: WHAT?

:It was a REALLY good pen...

: ...

: Please don't be mad, Hiroshi!

: Hey, Rena, I can lend you a pen if you want...

: It's okay, I think I have a spare one in my bag.

: Oh, okay.

: Anyway, let me just make one thing clear, Lorde. If you even so much as think of hurting a hair on my sister's head, I'll pound you into oblivion.

: Er, don't worry. I won't hurt her.

Bit of a change from Hiroshi being all "YOU CAN'T HIDE THE TRUTH FROM ME". From here on, it's back to normal until we get to the next choice.

: Wha- how did you know?!

: You sure you don't want to borrow one of my pens for now?

: Are you sure? I would be happy to lend you a pen.

: Oh, well...

Game: Rena rummages through her bag.

: Not at all.

: Thanks, Lorde, you're a prince!

: No problem.

That's a bit different as well. We continue to fail at working out and eventually I just start studying Lit. It goes much better.

Naoko's event is the same. We don't have any new options so I'll just skip it. We keep studying Lit.

The week after Naoko's event, we trigger Aya and Kiku's discussion about books.

Skip a bit...

: No way.

Last time we went, "uh...", but this time we're just going "No".

: I didn't say that...

I'd say reading's for nerds but I'm aware of the irony in this context.

: Sure... that could be it.

The last manga I can remember reading and enjoying recently is Chef of Nobunaga. I feel like I'm starting to get too old to enjoy shonen manga anymore.

Definitely not something I'd read without a strong suggestion from a trusted friend. Top option is the one that didn't appear last time.

: Oh, I've heard about that one.

: You have? Isn't it the greatest?!

: It's the one about the alien princess and her robot penguin sidekick defending the universe, right?

That sounds like shoujo. And I don't read much shoujo. The only thing that comes to mind when I read this description is Sailor Moon...

: That's the one!

...Ouch.

: Heehee, you said it! Can't take it back now!

: Well, it wasn't that great, anyway...

: Oh, so you've read it, Kiku?

I had the same thing with a friend and Dota 2 a while back. We've both stopped playing it but I never really got into it. Still got dragged along for like 100 hours...

: Uh-huh, I bet you bawled like a baby when the prince-

: Oh, that's right. Don't want to spoil it!

Clearly this was a teaser for Okashi Studio's next big game. Pity the company died after this game.

Rest of this is all stuff we've seen before.

After that, we continue to read some boring books. We ge 3 critical successes in a row so something's going right. Friday, we meet up with Kasumi again. The scene is the same as last time, until we get up to the options.

: Hello, Kasumi.

Aya didn't call us out on knowing her name, but Kasumi sure is.

: I'm in your class, remember?

: *sigh*

Then we're back to normal.

: You're the quiet type, aren't you?

We had this option last time, we just picked the other option.

: Sometimes... Well, most of the time.

: Nothing wrong with that. I'm socially behind right now myself.

...I had to check to see if that was part of our first conversation. I mean, this would be my 16th cycle of Shira Oka? Regardless, I get mad deja vu when I go through these events again.

: Oh, why?

: I was out sick for the past three-and-a-half weeks. Everyone at school thought I had died.

Conversation goes back to old content here.

: Yes, I'm better now. But you didn't know I was gone?

: No I didn't, but that doesn't surprise me...

: Why not?

: *sigh* It's nothing.

We ask her why she's there, she yells at us and eventually we get here again.

: Hmm, not a bad idea.

: What do you mean?

: It's nice and quiet in here. I can see why you would want to read here.

: Is that a book on architecture?

: Yeah, how did you know?

: It looks familiar.

: Oh, you've read this book before?

: Well, not exactly...

: I see...

Things finish up as normal there.

Next time, we're running into Yui again. After that, we'll approach July 18 again, and we'll see if we can avoid getting run over.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
The time loop mechanic is a pretty cool idea! I only thought second chance meant reliving your high school life. That's pretty clever! Looking forward to seeing more.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How to be good at high school: have precognition.

they're not wrong

quote:

Get hosed Hiroshi :fuckoff:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Loading screens exist in Shira Oka but the game is not very heavy. These thing are very rare and I was lucky enough to find one on a failed recording. Accidentally messed with the resolution so I just restarted the recording and went back a save.

Didn't show this off at the end of last update so here we go.

After July 18, I will throw up a vote where we pick who we want to hang out with and thus what kind of character we are. I originally meant for this to just be one single update but Satsuko took up a lot of space. So vote and character summary will go up after next update.

Anyway, we work out a bit...

This scene never really changes. But there's a different scene for the Swim Club in Year 2 and possible Year 3? Like I've said before, I get immense deja vu so it's hard to say what's what.

Studying Lit stops working well for us so I switched to Science.

Critical success is good but we're running out of mental stamina.

A critical success for exercise. Good stuff. June 18, on a Friday, we meet up with Yui again.

Why does this keep happening? Is Satsuko sure I'd retain all my memories?

This is just happening because you're an amnesiac, Goon. We might want to consider saving up for some traits soon.

Ah, active efforts. How nice.

Ah, there she is.

After that, the scene goes on as normal. We ask for directions, Yui's all shy about it but she says yes and the first change is at a decision.

: That's right. You're a member of the horticulture club.

The only change is that Yui doesn't say "Did you not know that already...?". So I guess this is a sort of skip which is very much appreciated. Nothing else changes here.

Oh, did I mention? This game doesn't have a skip function for text we've seen.

After that, we just get some rest, try studying lit again but we mostly do a lot of art.

Time can fly by pretty fast in this game. On our first loop, I accidentally went into the test tired because I didn't realise it was happening. I reloaded but that was kind of embarrassing.

On the weekend, we talk to Satsuko for a bit.

: I want to schedule a day out.

: You can't spend your whole life in your room. You have to put yourself out there so you can see new things, acquire new experiences!

: I know, I know.

: First things first!

That exchange happens every time you want to schedule a date out. Luckily, it's not too long but it can be annoying. Just another small thing that bugs me, I guess.

...Hm, I thought we had a lot more places. Karaoke from Alice, the Park and the Theatre from Satsuko and the Shopping Mall from Aya. Guess we'll unlock the rest later.

Different places have different sub locations to go as well as some people preferring some places more. I got real familiar with the Park and you're more likely to run into Yui, Rena, Kiku and Minion #1 there. I don't think I've ever seen Hiroshi or Aya there.

We pick the Park.

Time also matters but it's not as important. You're more likely to run into others on the weekends and possible holidays. I usually just scheduled stuff for weekends so I'm not too sure on that second part. We're pencilled in for the 16th.

We could totally organise a grand tour of all the dating locations. :v:

Would take a lot of time though.

: No, I'm done.

: Great! I'll write this down on the calendar. I gotta go! Bye!

Wonder what she does when she's not hanging out with us. We haven't started any of the endings yet so I have no clue what she's organising yet.

We do a bit of grooming. Because I remember my first few runs where everyone went "ew, you look like a mess" and we couldn't make any friends. :smith:

This is the Monday after the test. And, well, this has a lot of changes. Which is why the update got split.

: Whatever do you mean, Goon?

: You're all dressed up just like last time and you're giving me that same weird smile. You're going to follow me to school again, right?

: Weeeell...maybe.

Imagine if Goon couldn't even pick this up.

: Why don't we make this easier on the both of us? I'll just let you come with me this around?

: Of course I won't.

No reason to be a sad sack so soon.

: You just want to go to school and make friends just like me, right?

Friends? Well, I guess we have people who don't dislike us.

: That's it exactly! I'm glad you get it. Well, let's be off, then.

: Okay...

This time, we know she's here and we actually have some control over events.

Game: You and Satsuko stumble upon Alice and Rena.

: You mean me?

: Yes, you. You're the only one here we haven't met yet!

That is a lot more control over these girls just randomly finding Satsuko.

: She's my cousin. From Sweden.

I've never taken the second option. But I'm very curious about it.

praise me more

: Wow, you come from Sweden? What's it like there? I hear it gets quite snowy there.

I hear Sweden gets holidays during the summer since they don't get much sun during the rest of the year.

: I'm from a different country too! I'm from America.

: I know, teehee.

: You do?

: Yup! Goon told me about both of you.

: Oh, I see. Well, you don't look much like Lorde.

: I'm a VERY distant cousin.

That's new to this loop as well.

: You bet!

: Come on, Alice. We've got to be going.

: Satsuko. My name's Satsuko!

Satsuko introduced herself at the start last time, but this time Alice and Rena have been fine just knowing that she's our cousin.

: Satsuko? What a pretty name. We'll see you later, Satsuko! Bye, Lorde!

: You were a pleasure to speak with, dear Satsuko. I hope the day keeps you well!

: You too! Bye bye, guys.

: Well, I made you sad last time, when I came to school with you.

Well, we're not dragging her off now so...

: Yes, I suppose it went more smoothly this time.

: Oh! Is it time to meet Hiroshi again? I just LOVED seeing him last time...

: Oh... I know you did.

Game: Honoring Satsuko's request, you find Hiroshi in the cafeteria.

That's right...they've already met. She must recognise him. But... doesn't interfering like this change the way the world works or something?

You're looping in time. I don't think your partner hitting on the school jerk is going to ruin things.

: Huh...? Have we met?

Sharp, Hiroshi. She shouldn't know your name yet.

: Ye-

: NO! I mean...no, you've not met Satsuko yet.

\

We have a cover story this time so we're a little less awful about this.

: Distant cousin. Very distant.

Well, she ain't lost this time. We go back to normal with Hiroshi insulting us but Satsuko's response to Hiroshi asking about the clothes is different.

10 and a half hours from Stockholm to Tokyo, 8 and a half from Stockholm to Washington DC. Or at least, that's what this online thing I used said. That's fairly long, I'd say, but from Sydney I have a 20 hour flight to Stockholm.

: I see. Alright. It was great meeting you, Satsuko.

"I hear I'm a genius"...?

: You know it wouldn't have worked out.

: But-

I doubt Satsuko could stop talking for this.

: But he's a genius, didn't you hear? A handsome guy that's SMART too! He's perfect!

: *sigh* Come on. Let's go...

I agree, Goon.

We find Naoko and the others. This conversation goes on as normal until they get around to asking Satsuko where she's from.

She said Switzerland last time. And even I know Switzerland and Sweden aren't close.

Good, she remembered this time.

After this, the conversation basically goes on as normal but without Kiku being all "huh?" in the background. Naoko asks about Sweden.

Satsuko remembers that Sweden is cold so we don't have to tell her that.

: So I have heard.

: Yeah, you should all come visit me in Sweden together. I'll show you around!

There she goes, making promises she can't keep.

I used to want to go to Austria since I had a friend who moved up there. Kind of forgot about that.

Back to cookie chat. There's only one cookie left and Aya ain't getting it.

Key difference here is "again".

: Again?

My, my, she can make things up on her own.

: Running out of rice? Sounds like a poorly planned meal, I must say.

:...

Well, we are a Goon...

: No, thank you. You enjoy it, Satsuko.

: Yes, go ahead. You have to get back to Sweden soon enough.

: Good point. Thanks!

: Like always? But we've never met.

: Er, well, Goon's been telling me about your cooking and baking and stuff. He can't get enough of it!

: Oh...how flattering!

: Hey, Satsuko...

: Yeah?

: We should get going...

: Oh, it's time to meet-

: No, just time to go.

: *sigh* I guess not today either...

: ...Either?

Then the scene finishes up as normal.

Game: You and Satsuko continue through the school, though Satsuko seems to have something on her mind.

Last time we bumped into Yui, it was an accident.

: You look like you're about to tackle someone.

: Teehee, I'm just excited! ...Hmm, where is she..?

Game: ...

: ...!

: Yui, this is my cousin, Satsuko.

: H-hello...

: What's going on, Yui? Wanna talk?

: A...ah...

Pictured: How not to deal with an introvert.

: I...I must be going...

: I don't think people are usually that upfront with her.

Nicely put, Goon.

: Oh...

: Don't worry too much about it.

: Yes, I'll see you at home, then.

: Enjoy the rest of your day! See you back at home!

Hmm, that's finally over with.

Anyway, next update will feature our marks, our trip to the park and July 18. Shouldn't be a very long update since it's only like 5 minutes of footage.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay that was cute. This game's growing on me.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Last time, we finished on a Monday. So we're still working on being fashionable.

This is where we dumped all our points too.

We get our marks back this week too.

Let's see how I did...

Ah, good news. We got a C last time. Unfortunately, we got all C's this time. Last time we pulled a B in Art but C elsewhere.

We also got our grade tracker back. We can't keep track of these across time, sadly.

Just another update on our stats. I'm fairly certain we were at 15 Lit for the test.

This here is the schedule icon for going on a date or a day out. It's a bit hard to get a still of this but it's basically a red heart. Might try making a GIF of it sometime.

Our little avatar also goes from his house to the park.

If you don't find anyone, it's basically a wasted day.

Game: You walk around Kirin Park for a bit, hoping to run into someone you know. After a few hours, you grow bored and realise that nobody you know is here.

: Since the weather is so nice, let's hang out in Kirin Park together!

Well, she did give us a few hours to find someone...

Game: Satsuko grabs your hand and before you know it, you've spend? the afternoon exploring every area of the park together.

Fairly certain that ain't spelt right. Anyway, wasted day, pretty sad. I find that in these early loops when you don't know anyone and you have issues getting people to warm up to you, random dates can help a bit.

Doing this LP has made me remember it's July 18 that has this event. I used to think it was late in May for some reason.

Today is the day that Yui's going to get hit by that bus.

: I should take a shortcut to the road.

If it takes cheating to win, we'll do it.

A shortcut will get me there faster, and then I can make it in time to stop her before the event even happens!

Now...

just who we wanted to see

Oh...

: Where you going? You seem to be in a hurry.

: Oh...I was heading somewhere.

: Well, yes. Obviously.

: Stop reading my mind, it's weird.

What a coincidence...

: Oh, alright. Thank you.

: Great! Glad you're always willing to take my advice, Lorde.

Game: Hiroshi leads you off quickly, certain he knows a faster way.

...Honestly, I do like Hiroshi more than Aya.

: Oh my god! That's so awesome. You're so awesome, Hiroshi!

Man...sure, that path WOULD have been faster...if we didn't run into Aya and he didn't start talking to her.

: Well, that was interesting, but I've got to get going.

: Alright. See you, then.

Great. I'm late now. I wonder where Yui is.

Game: You see Yui across the street. She is walking slowly and seems to be deep in thought.

Game: You begin to hear the sound of the approaching bus, as she begins to cross the street. Knowing what's coming, you start out towards the road. However, Hiroshi grabs your arm.

: Hey Lorde!

Game: You point towards the road. His eyes go wide, seeing the same thing you do.

: Oh, hell!

Game: Without hesitation, you push Hiroshi aside and start running towards her. but instead of pushing her out of the way, you feel a strong arm shove you to the ground.

Game: Hiroshi shoves her from the line of the bus, narrowly missing being hit himself. It clips the back of his uniform, wind fluttering past. The bus driver honks his horn angrily as he speeds by, shouting expletives about crazy kids getting in the way.

: Whew!

Game: He stands by the curb gasping for a moment, trying to catch his breath. When you look up, Yui is nowhere to be seen.

...Yeah, I hate to break this to you guys. But we're going to be using Hiroshi to save Yui until we get good enough to save her from the bus ourselves.

Game: A crowd is gathered, pointing and talking quietly. "He saved that girl!" "He's a hero!"

: Hiroshi, you saved Yui!

: Who?

: Thought I saw something kind of weird... Ah well. Whatever.

: See you later, Lorde!

He's still a dick. Oh well, important vote coming up.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Okay that was cute. This game's growing on me.

That's kind of the only reason I finished this game. Pretty much the reason I like it too.

Sorta big decision time?

So, we're kind of awful at everything. If we try hard, we might be acceptable at things. But as we are, we can't be acceptable at everything. So for now, we need to pick a specialisation. Functionally there ain't much of a difference but different characters like different stats. We'll split this up into 5 categories of Lit, Science, Art, Sports and Popularity.

Literature

These three kind of come as a bundle, being friends. Getting along with one of them means being on better terms with the others. Rena writes, Kiku will yell at you for doing poorly on Lit tests and Yui likes art/poetry in general.

This is somewhat difficult. Literature is hard stat to raise, Kiku has very high standards for everything and Yui is pretty distant. In practice, we'll probably just be hanging out with Rena a lot.

Science

Yeah, we haven't even met two of these guys yet. Aya likes Sci-Fi and the other two like machines. I'll refer to them as Minions #1 and #2 for the girl and the boy.

Basically the same difficulty as Literature, maybe a little easier. When working out, the Science decay isn't as bad but when grooming, the decay is worse. Aya involves hanging out with Aya and having to work the relation system a bit, Minion #1 just likes Science and Minion #2 wants to hang out with a popular guy because of his self-esteem issues.

Oh, and Minion #2 is a gay route that doesn't involve Hiroshi.

Art

Yes, this is quite similar to the Literature group. The only difference here is that Alice is a musician and Kiku doesn't care as much about Art. Rena does drawings and Yui likes Art, as I've mentioned.

Probably the easiest option here. Art gives you a bit of Lit and Fashion, so you're studying for two tests at once and not dumping Fashion. Alice is actually very friendly (unless you're friends with Hiroshi), Rena is very friendly if you're on her side but Yui is still distant. It's probably easier to talk to Yui this way, though.

Sport

Ah, generic high school sports. Aya likes Kiku and Hiroshi and they like her back, but Hiroshi and Kiku do not get along in the slightest. Get along with Kiku or Alice and Hiroshi won't be friends with you easily. Aya would get boosts from hanging out with either of those and she might like swimming, Kiku is actually an athlete despite not seeming like one at first glance and Hiroshi loves a good challenge.

Hardest route, I'd say. Aya's pretty friendly but Kiku and Hiroshi both have high standards. Hiroshi pops up in a lot of events but I usually enjoy dunking him too much. So this is more of "hang out with Aya and whoever will take pity on us." As a side note, Aya is my least favourite character. You may have picked that up.

Popularity

Putting this up as it's own category is kind of eh, but Naoko doesn't really fit into anything else. Kiku and Hiroshi both expect you to be decently fashionable and Minion #2 is hoping that someone else's coolness will rub off on him.

This would be kind of tricky. You don't get tested on Fashion or Popularity. I may put Hiroshi and Kiku under these categories but they ain't going to hang out with us. It's just Naoko and Minion #2 and triggering Minion #2's events will probably give us a fair bit of Science as well. If you really wanted Naoko, we could go Science since Minion #2 is her brother and he'll positively influence our relations with her.

If we do this, you might see the other stats be a bit good bit ahead of Fashion/Popularity anyway. We really need to pass our exams.

???

Satsuko is not actually an option. Kasumi's route can't be done until you do every other route for reasons. It's definitely a spoiler I want to keep under wraps. We'll see why later this loop.

So, pick 1 out of the 5 categories of Lit, Science, Art, Sports, Popularity on the strawpoll at the bottom of this post. The more votes a category gets, the higher priority I'll put on that category.

There's no guarantee we're good enough to get an ending but at the start of the Year 2 terms, I'll throw up a vote if we're anywhere near an ending. Don't expect it unless we're hanging out with one of Rena/Alice/Aya. Those are the easiest routes, I think.

That should be it. Vote here.

:siren: Not counting any votes in the thread since I can't be sure if you've voted on the poll or not. Vote at the link to make it count. :siren:

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 15, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
"Satsuko is not actually an option"

That surprises me for some reason. I feel like that's the obvious place for a secret route but I guess they just didn't go for it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It has been a while since I've seen the requirements, but from what I recall Rena is indeed probably the easiest route, with Alice up there as well. Aya's may technically be easy, but I always had difficulty actually getting friendly enough with her for it to matter - mainly because I just found it hard to actually take the +Aya choices.

Kiku is almost certainly the hardest route in the game, or very nearly. As in "Are you getting nearly straight A's? No? Then you're not getting this route."

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Voting art, because we have to not like Hiroshi to be okay with Alice, but Art is also a way to his sister, so that seems like a great setup for ridiculous drama down the road. Or if that winds up being a pain we can go for Yui instead.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Rena's much friendly than Yui who is really hard to get in touch with.

Unfortunately, being friends with Rena means that Hiroshi will only hate you if you really try. I mean, insulting Hiroshi at every turn is rather natural for me, but it might take a bit more. Like insulting Aya at every chance as well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Art with Alice, let's piss off Hiroshi.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Quick amendment to vote post - Your vote will only count if you actually go on to the poll. I don't know if the people voting in the thread have voted in the poll or not so I'd rather have things in one place for fairness's sake.

Oh, and I'll probably close the vote in 3 days.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I guess Satsuko is actively avoiding us when we might die so as to preserve the integrity of the timeline and also her chances at going back to have a fulfilling high-school life?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mysticblade posted:

I hear Sweden gets holidays during the summer since they don't get much sun during the rest of the year.
As a swede I can attest to this. If someone would try to remove Midsummers Eve as an inofficial holiday the entire country would have such a bloody riot that even the french people would have a hard time to match it.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Voted called on the 18th, not counting any changes to the poll from then. It was 8 for Science, 10 for Art.

Looks like we're rolling Art. I'll see if I can put Science into 2nd place since it did get the second most votes.

Lord Koth posted:

It has been a while since I've seen the requirements, but from what I recall Rena is indeed probably the easiest route, with Alice up there as well. Aya's may technically be easy, but I always had difficulty actually getting friendly enough with her for it to matter - mainly because I just found it hard to actually take the +Aya choices.

Kiku is almost certainly the hardest route in the game, or very nearly. As in "Are you getting nearly straight A's? No? Then you're not getting this route."

Pretty much the same as my experience with this game. I actually did Aya 2nd last, after Kiku.

Glazius posted:

So I guess Satsuko is actively avoiding us when we might die so as to preserve the integrity of the timeline and also her chances at going back to have a fulfilling high-school life?

I actually have no clue what Satsuko does in her spare time at this point. Can't remember if it's ever explained. We know what she does later on in the loop, but that's only briefly explained in the Golden ending.

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 19, 2016

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

So after saving Yui from the truck and getting our affairs in relative order, we've decided to become an artist. Just to see Hiroshi's reaction if his sworn enemy starts dating his sister.

That was Monday. This is Tuesday.

Is that Hiroshi talking with everyone...?

...Oh, great. This scene. Spoilers - We can skip it after seeing it the first time. I haven't bothered watching this scene since like last year. In real life.

: You're so awesome, Hiroshi. Man, I wish I could've seen it!

: Yes...that sounds so brave and courageous of you.

thank you kiku.

Our options are a) be an idiot, b) be Hiroshi, c) be a dick to Yui. Well, simplified but that's the idea.

: What's going on, guys?

As the protagonist of a dating sim, Goon is allowed to be an idiot.

: Haven't you heard, Lorde? I thought you were there... Hiroshi saved Yui's life yesterday! She walked out into the street in front of a bus and he charged in and saved her.

: Oh, don't. You're making it sound like I'm some kind of hero. I was just in the proper place at the proper time, alright?

: Heh.

: He really did pull through.

I didn't like this scene back when I first saw it and I don't like it now.

: I'm glad you see me like how everyone else does, Lorde. After all, I am a hero.

If I was lazy enough to take captures of Kasumi talking for 4 lines, I'm sure as hell not writing 5 lines from Aya.

: Ha, that's me alright.

: He may be a hero, Aya, but he is not a super hero.

Yeesh. That pushes up the max height of the textbox.

There's been a few of these where Goon just thinks "..." to himself. Kind of hard to express.

If Goon can remember this scene, he can skip it. Not sure if it requires the memory quirks or not. Perhaps it's time to consider saving for a quirk, but on the other hand, we're doing an Art run with 1 Creativity.

: Hmm? On what?

: On doing well on your literature examination.

: Oh... you found out about that?

So, we have a dumb option and a good option. I have picked the dumb option sometimes, but that's for Hiroshi congratulating you on doing well in PE. I did it in a Kiku run, actually.

: Of course.

: Fantastic. You will go far with that attitude.

We finally get in a day of studying math but then Friday hits us with another event.

Hmm? Aya has some very negative interactions with some of the cast. If we're hanging out with Alice/Rena/Yui, we're probably going to be annoying Aya a lot. No real loss.

: Yes?

: Can you hear this crap? School's almost over for the semester and Yui's SAD about it. SAD.

: It's not enough that she's weird, she actually LIKES school?

: I...like to read, that is all...

: Hey, I like to read.

We're an artist (or trying to be), not a swimmer.

: Yeah, but do you like reading and studying and all that crap? Do you like the literature and poetry they make us read?

: I...like the poetry. A lot.

: I wasn't asking you!

: Yes, I do like studying poetry and literature.

It's much easier on the mind than studying science.

: Oh, you're just like Kiku! Always going on about how it's good to culture yourself.

: I just enjoy reading this sort of thing.

: I do so like to read...I wish I knew others who liked studying as well as I.

I kind of liked studying math back in high school. It was a puzzle of sorts. Also, signs of personality from Yui?

: We can't all just live in the school and spend our entire lives getting perfect marks!

: I...do not live in the school, I live...

: It's just an expression. Anyway. I mean, I'm always working so hard in school but I never get anywhere.

: School is just harder for some people.

trust me, we ain't sailing for long

: Yeah, you act all shy and all but you're bursting with pride. I'd drop out if I could. I mean, the law's not stopping me. Only dad is.

: And I'm sure your friends.

: Maybe. Maybe not. Ah well. I'll have a few weeks now to where I won't have to think about it. See you two later.

I swear, one day Yui will show off the fact that she has a personality. We do some more Art.

Also, uh, our Popularity fell by 4 points down to 8. This is because Hiroshi saved Yui instead of us. So I can't tell if Kiku's praise actually helped us or not.

: This is a good opportunity to socialise, so you should go!

This unlocks the beach as a date spot but I didn't grab a screen cap of it. Pity.

: Wait, how do you know?

: Well, I saw Alice downtown, and she mentioned it to me! I'd go with you, but I don't have a bathing suit...

Are you excited for swimsuits? I'm not but I wouldn't say they're NSFW. Well, not really any more so than reading a VN LP at work but eh...

: Yeah, it should be nice.

: I'm so proud that you're already taking the initiative and working to make new friends all on your own! It brings a tear to my eye...

: Not now, don't let me keep you! Go and have a great time, and bring me back some seashells!

Game: It's another gorgeous day in Shira Oka. The cool beach air swirls around you as you look out onto the sea...

: Hey, Alice.

: Not bad, I guess...

No way to be as cheery as Alice here.

: Yeah, the water looks great.

: Yeah, I hope the others hurry up and get here so we can go in!

: Where are they?

Looking pretty copy-pasted there, Hiroshi.

: Fashionably late, I see?

so much for the legendary womaniser hiroshi

unless this is something weird like from the world god only knows

: What?! You jerk!! How dare you!

: Where's Naoko?

Sunglasses spotted. Also, good plan Alice? I mean, if you wanted to be alone with Hiroshi at the beach...

: Don't say such harsh words in front of Lorde or he might cry.

: What? He's not a two-year-old, like you think everyone is.

: Well, this is going to be great.

: Aya called me earlier to say that she and Kiku couldn't make it.

Aside from these two, Kiku's the only other character I remember having a swimsuit outfit. Not sure if we'll get the event with that, but it's great event (since you can dunk Hiroshi).

: Is everything okay?

After like Year 9, I don't think there was really a divide between the boys and the girls when it came to hanging out. I mean, there was that one nerd group obsessed with Warhammer but they were just awful in general...

Hiroshi is 2nd year, high school. In Australia, that'd be Year 11. So it's kind of weird seeing this.

: So immature.

Guess it ain't just me.

: *Groan* No Naoko, and now I'm stuck at the beach with Alice...

: Where's Rena?

: Well, we should so something.

: Well, you guys can do something.

: What?

I'll admit, Hiroshi kind of grew on me. I used to rank Aya above him but now I'd put Hiroshi above her. It's a Gary Oak sort of thing.

: Why are you always like this? Who's good enough for you?

: Great. Later.

Game: Hiroshi picks up his things and leaves.

: Well, it doesn't have to be.

Goon's a hell of a lot smoother than I was in high school.

: Hmm?

: Hmm...sure, why not.

Game: You walk along the shore with Alice.

: You know, it's a shame I don't come here more often.

: Why not?

: How long do you practice?

: I practice about 4 to 5 hours every day.

: Really?

I'm glad I never went into music.

: If you really love something, you should let it become your whole life.

: Won't you get sick of it, then?

: No way! I mean, there's always a time every now and then when I wish I could be doing something other than practising... But it's not that common.

: What about the beach?

Pun option is tempting but this feels like she's asking for advice.

: Maybe it can be your "reward" for practising?

: Reward?

: Like, maybe you can take every Saturday morning for yourself to come down here to clear your head.

: You know, that's an amazing idea. I think that's what I could use in order to stay fresh and focused all the time!

I used to want to be a psychologist. Even read a bit of my sister's psychology textbook. Long time ago though...

: You think so?

: Sure!

Then there's a screen fade to black.

: Aww, back to our spot already? That was a great little walk. Thanks for doing that, Lorde. I'm really really glad this day turned out well after all!

: Sure.

: *laughs* I guess I'll go practice...but I won't forget my new little "resolution!" Thanks, Lorde! Later!

Inspired by her talk of music, we take up Art.

Such majesty. We schedule a day out at the beach on next Saturday. Maybe we'll see Alice there.

On Sunday, we run into Rena.

In this screenshot, you can see that the narration is represented by Okashi Studio's mascot. It's a cat thing?

: Hey, Rena. What's up?

The day's already been eaten by the event. First option is just there to skip this if you want but this is a random event so it's not that common.

: Oh...I was just thinking of the story of Momotaro.

: So why are you thinking about that?

: How interesting.

: I'm glad you think so too! So, Lorde, what would you do?

: Do about what?

: What would you do if you found a baby inside a peach?

Someone else's problem.

: Does it have to be a peach?

You can get this event at a lot of different times. And you can actually get a different response depending on affection values.

: I'd raise it with you.

She goes all blushy if she's into you. As it is, we've barely spoken to her.

: Hehe.

She didn't get mad and we got XP. Worth.

We go onto a week of Art, finishing with this critical fail.

Well, it's someone.

: Oh, hey, Naoko!

: Today's such a lovely day, isn't it?

: Yeah, the sky's really clear.

: Yes, that's why I came to the beach. I thought I'd take a nice walk or something.

Ah, this is where Fashion comes into play. Depending on your Fashion stat in comparison to where it should be, you'll get either a malus or bonus to your dates. This is a par message but the Fashion levels expected are basically the same as grades. We're doing Art which'll drag Fashion up a bit and we did dump all our points into Charm, so we might hold our Fashion at par. Maybe.

: So how are you today?

: I'm doing just fine.

Game: Reaching into her bag, Naoko pulls out a camera.

: Lorde, would you like to take some pictures around the beach?

: Hmm? What sort of pictures?

: Hmm...beach flowers, animals, shells...things like that.

That sounds... like Art. Goon is up for this.

Game: She runs off to the side of the beach, snapping a photo.

: Oh, alright. Do you have another camera?

: No, only the one. Is that a problem?

: No. We can share.

: Alright! Do you see anything nice to photograph around?

: There's plenty! This beach is always so beautiful.

: Nice- get a good photo?

Tide pools are more of an experience. You hear them and smell them. Not really great for pictures in my opinion.

: Wanna try to get some shots of the sea birds?

: Sure! Those birds can be tricky to photograph though. They tend to move a lot...hard to get a good shot. But we'll give it a go.

: Alright.

Game: You and Naoko wander around the beach until you find a small flock of birds.

: Alright, there's some! Here we go.

Game: She dashes one way trying to get a shot.

Game: She trips over a rock, looking through the viewfinder at the birds. You help her up.

: Oh...I should pay more attention.

: Are you alright?

: Yes. I'm fine.

: Do you have any bread?

If @probirdrights is anything to go by, attention and bread is an irresistible combo.

: Hmm...no bread, but I have a little bit of vanilla cake I made.

: Well, let's try that. Let's break up some and throw it for the birds to eat.

Game: She removes the cake from her bag and scatter some crumbs from it on the beach. The birds quickly flock to it.

: Oh, great!

Game: She starts snapping photos immediately.

: Looks like those birds really love your cake, Naoko!

: Haha, you think so?

: Of course, Naoko- everyone loves your cakes. Even birds.

: Heehee... I got some really good shots, thanks for the advice.

Yes, that is a generic response. Naoko says "bye, dear" regardless of affection or friendship. It's just how she is.

Checking in on Satsuko about some people:
  1. Alice - No romantic interest. More of a friend than an acquaintance?
  2. Aya - Doesn't consider us a friend at all.
  3. Hiroshi - Not much of a friend.
  4. Kiku - Not much of a friend.
  5. Naoko - "Romantic feelings aren't developing." "Friendship headed in the right direction."
  6. Rena - "Friendship hasn't really gone anywhere." She doesn't know what to make of us.
  7. Yui - Not much of a friend.
Next time, we should get through the rest of the 1st semester holidays. We had three events in our first week of this update (4 if you count the fact the truck is also in this week), so hopefully we get some time to peacefully work on our stats. We'll need like 5 more points in the tested subjects to stay safe for now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

jesus

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Aya's the prime culprit for that stuff but Naoko is pretty bad. It's even worse if you catch them on the transition frames. When moving from one emotion to another, they do actually go through transition frames.

I posted this earlier but both Naoko and Aya are in transition frames here.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also really Satsuko? Aya isn't much of a friend? She's friendly to everyone!

Christ this is why people can't stand relationship meters in VNs. Especially invisible ones.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

We dumped all our points into Charm and I'm determined to get something out of it.

The week goes relatively well.

I'll have to go to the festival with them tomorrow, too, I assume. I suppose I should head to the living room and get started. We have a lot to do before night comes.

Game: You spend the first day of Obon with your family, doing the things necessary for the holiday. The family altar is set up with the food, incense, and the cucumber horse and eggplant cow. You head back to your room to get a little rest afterwards.

Obon is a Buddhist festival for commemorating your ancestors. More info here, or you can wait a bit and the game will try to explain it.

Ugh, Obon is a yearly thing for Shira Oka. It does change from Year 1 to Year 2 to Year 3 and I think the conversation with Satsuko changes a bit each loop. I'm not a fan since it eats up important time.

: You know I am! Holidays always excite me. Did you have fun with the family?

: Yeah. We did all the traditional things.

: Great. And once it gets dark you'll get to light the lanterns.

The lanterns light up the path for the spirits to follow or something.

: Yes. It won't be dark for a while, though.

Goon's family only come into play on Obon. They don't get mentioned much otherwise and we never see them.

: You better go see what they want. They sound like they really need you.

: Yeah, I better. See you, Satsuko.

: Oh, Lorde! Lorde!

: Oh, hi, Alice.

: I got sent out to buy some more fireworks. We ran out and my host family wanted more for the little nieces and nephews and cousins.

: Ah...I'm out trying to pick up matches or a lighter. We ran out of that.

: Well, I have some lighters in my pocket right now. I could give them to you and save you the trouble. It was hard to get them. Almost nobody was open!

: Great! Thank you, Alice.

Option B is out since Alice is better at school than us and I don't think Goon knows how to cook yet. So C is out as well. That leaves Option A, which I'm very happy to take.

: I'll tell Hiroshi off for you!

: No, that's alright. Just tell me all about these Obon things I've been doing all day.

: Sure. What do you want to know about?

Because of Alice, we have a lot of chances to explain what's going on when we see something that's meant to be Japanese. Honestly, it's not a bad way of doing things. Better than an idiot protagonist.

: Well, let's see. Tell me about the eggplant and the cucumber. They just stuck toothpicks on them and put them on the family altar.

: I see, interesting. How about the lanterns? We're going to hang lanterns once it gets dark, I'm told.

: You hang the lanterns out so that the dea can find their way back to your house easily.

: And the other food we put on the altar was for the spirits, too?

: You bet.

: Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Err, that seems like it might be awkward to carry stuff around like that. Then again, I've never worn a bra so...

: Well, I'm off for home, now that I got those fireworks. Have fun tonight!

: Alright, you too. Thank you for the lighters.

: Bye! Happy Obon.

Game: You hurry home and arrive well before dark, with plenty of time left to go to the family tomb to greet the spirits and light the leading fires. Afterwards, you go to bed, knowing you will spend tomorrow with your family at home.

Luckily, we can get in a day of study on Sunday, even if we fail. Monday comes and the last part of Obon triggers.

Game: It seems that almost everyone is in attendance.

: It's sad...

: I do not see Kasumi, either...

: Doesn't matter. She'd bring everyone down. Come on, let's set them out.

Harsh, but true.

Game: You and everyone else walk to the shore, setting loose hundreds of white lanterns down the river to guide the spirits home.

: Rena-

: ...Yeah?

: ... You forgot cousin Emiko.

: Oh! Goodbye, Emiko!

: Wow... so beautiful. I wish we did this back in America...

I kind of would like to see the lanterns on the river. Sounds like hell for the environment but I can imagine it'd be pretty.

: May they have a safe trip.

: See you guys next year!

: Goodbye...

: Farewell, everyone. Until next year.

Game: Obon is complete for the year.

After Obon, we go on to screw up an entire week of Art. Good job, Goon. We catch a bit of rest on the weekend.

Our next week of Art goes fine. We might be able to push for a B in Art next term but we'll have to be careful not to fall to D's in Science or Sports. Saturday, we attempt a bit of Math and Aya finds us on the Sunday.

: Grr, it's that time of the year again! The worst time!

: What is it, Aya?

Our Towel Manager action actually disappears. Swim Team and Towel Manager are just temporary actions but Swim Team is so good. I'm not sad to see Towel Manager go at all though.

: This is one of the only times of the year where I get to regularly show off my talents to people! Without it, I'm nothing socially, until the next thing comes up. Nothing!

The ONLY time?

You were always nothing in my heart, Aya.

: I guess you'll just have to suck it up and get over it.

This is objectively the wrong answer. But I swear there's been too much Aya in these updates, so I kind of felt like taking the wrong anwer.

Besides, I want to see if we can get someone to hate us.

: You better explain yourself, Lorde!

: There's not much you can do about the summer ending. It's not as if you can control time. So you might as well just stop whining and get over it, right?

: Hmph. Well, some of us like to think the world isn't completely turned to crap. Whatever. At least the new school year isn't always bad. Yeah, there is a ton of schoolwork piled on, and there's all those boring school meetings and the cleanup of the classroom every day.

: You bet.

The only club we can join is the Swim club so clubs aren't great. I'd really like to join the ikebana club but we can't. Bit sad.

: Pretty girls.

It was the most art response we had.

: Pfft! Shows what you know! The best part of school is meeting new people. Being popular is always the best!

That'd be Minions #1 and #2. We could've met #1 earlier if we'd had a different set of meeting events.

Super genius brother and his friend? I wonder who she could mean.

Funny thing. If you talk to Satsuko, she'll talk about being closer to Naoko by being friends with Minion #2, even giving you his name. It's useless advice since you haven't met yet.

: Well, I have to go now, Lorde. Gotta do something with the family. Dad wants me and the brothers and sisters and mom to go do something together before we're all due back at school.

: I'll see you later then, Aya.

: Bye now!

Perks of taking stills from video - I can actually catch this working out critical fail before it zooms off to the left.

On the Sunday before school starts again, we run into these two.

: You are a strange girl, Aya.

Tokusatsu just means special effects and thus covers kaiju (monster), sentai (power rangers) and other stuff. I thought it was just sentai but I looked it up.

: Well, your brother is only eight, Aya...

: Whatever.

The second option sounds like the creeper one so...

: Not very long.

: We were just discussing what we had done over the break.

I can't really talk. I just caught up on the Ace Attorney anime (so glad they're making original content now) and I was going to watch Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun so...

: Yeah, says you. At least I didn't spend the entire time with my nose stuck in a book.

: I did not either. I had many things I was doing. After all, I have dance practice. I even went in to school with Yui to make some ikebana.

: Yeah, yeah, same boring crap you always do!

...You know, this conversation does actually remind me of high school. I had a friend who we ribbed for doing some extra drama stuff outside of school.

: I am glad to hear you find me so thoroughly entertaining.

The second options disappears, then the third disappears. These timed dialogue sections are a bit weird with keyboard controls so I missed the second option.

: I didn't get everything done during break that I wanted to.

: Oh man, me either.

: Nor me.

: What? How could you have not? You were always busy with something! I barely saw you during the break at all!

: Just because I was always busy does not mean I got everything I wanted to done.

: What didn't you get done then, huh?

: Reading isn't that important.

: Excuse me?

: It really isn't! It's boring and all it does is stuff your head with lots of facts you'll never use.

There's a certain irony in a game that's nearly a VN calling reading boring. Can't quite put my finger on it though.

: *sigh* Says you, perhaps.

: I wasn't done yet, KIKU. Anyway, I picked up some books at the library about space exploration, but I didn't get around to reading them. I figured anything I can learn in them I can learn on TV.

no please, read the textbooks, you're going to fail university if you don't look at them

: Are you trying to be funny?

: Of course not. May I ask you what your sources in this endeavour are, Aya?

: Uh huh.

: It was about space, though! Like, what space is like.

: I see. Anything else?

: I believe you need to research this a little bit more thoroughly.

: Oh, I don't. I've learned plenty.

: What's the surface of Neptune like, Aya?

: Er, uh...what?

: It is a good question. Perhaps you should answer it, Aya.

: Why does it matter what the surface of Neptune is like?

: Why would you want to go to a planet that may be uninhabitable?

: To explore, of course.

There's probably some value in going to the planet but my half-minute research didn't give me anything big.

: Or perhaps a planet that is impossible to land on. Some planets are gaseous, Aya. I think Neptune may be.

Apparently Neptune has a core of ice and rock.

: So are you implying you will land upon its core?

: Sure.

: Anyway, not to cut you off, Lorde, but I think me and Kiku have got to be going.

I've never played DDR or a DDR-like.

: You're going to love it.

: I am unsure. Dancing games aren't like real dancing.

: Nope. They're WAY better.

: If you so insist, heehee.

And that was our school holidays. We'll be going back to school and meeting up with Minions #1 and #2 for real. As well as a bunch of other events. We'll also have to study hard to avoid failing Science or Sports.

Can't guarentee much. That's the 2nd loop, really.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think the thing that surprises me most is that Goon has a family.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I can't imagine romancing Aya in this game, like, ever. She's kind of a dumb rear end in a top hat. Does she actually have an interesting route, or is she always like this?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
She seemed nice back when she was first introduced, if only because she randomly approached you and served as a secondary info dump.

Mechanically speaking? It looks like she's the character that you can always fall back on, so she represents a lack of specialization all around by being a slacker who hates doing anything other than goofing off, I guess? With a side-order of "rubs every other character the wrong way" just in case you managed to burn your bridges with everyone other than her somehow.

Usually the genre just uses the ol' "childhood friend" card for that sort of character and doesn't make them unsympathetic with every other character you meet, but it looks like Shira Oka's apparently making her seem unappealing on purpose? Kind of a "you were a boring jerk, so here's an equally boring jerk as a prize" deal.

Or something, I don't know. :shrug:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

We're back. You might recognise these new people. I've introduced them as Minions #1 and #2 already.

What's Hiroshi up to over there?

Primary school insults, I see.

You can't beat that kind of thinking with facts.

: I had some for lunch, remember?

: That's not the point! The point is-

: Hey, Lorde, come here for a sec!

Hmm, what's going on?

: What is it?

: Just look at those two, will ya?

: Hmm, I don't know...

: Hiroshi, stop being such a pain!

: Well, we do work well together!

: It's our first day of high school!

: Interesting.

: Really?

: Cucumber-hair! That has a nice ring to it...

: Suzu, he's making fun of you!

: You guys transferred in the middle of the year?

: Aren't they the cutest? They're practically inseperable, joined at the waist!

Not gonna lie, I've been in the position of a senior making fun of juniors. Just part of high school.

: She's just my good friend, okay? Stop saying that sort of stuff, Hiroshi!

: Nice to meet you both.

: The only reason you would do that is to get on my sister's good side. So just forget it.

: Because I know you, Hiroshi. So just drop it already.

: *sigh* It's your loss, man.

: Come on, I'm just trying to help you out, Kazuki! You and your girlfriend!

I don't need any help, thanks. And stop calling her my girlfriend!

: Don't cry, Suzu! We're still friends! You're just not my girlfriend.

: Oh...I guess I don't get the difference. Isn't that what a girlfriend is?

: Girlsfriends are closer than regular friends.

: Oh! Okay, I see.

: Yeah, that's it.

: Ooh! Aren't you happy, Kazuki? Plenty of guys would give ANYTHING to be in your position.

Honestly, Suzu's better as a friend than a romantic interest. Her route's decent enough, I guess.

: Yeah, just leave them alone, Hiroshi.

Kazuki and Hiroshi may sort of be friends? They have times when they're being friendly but they're usually going against each other. Either way, being friends with Hiroshi is not something we're going to bother trying in this loop.

: You should see some of the weird things these guys make, Lorde.

: Weird things?

: They work down at Ikegawa Motors shop after school.

: Hey! The things we make aren't useless!

: Hehe, Kazuki to the rescue!

: I said cut it out!

: Okay, okay... I may like to tease them, but I'll admit that they make some pretty cool things sometimes...

: Did you hear that, Kazuki?

: Yeah, when you're not making crap, anyway.

: Yeah, real jealous of your portable light switches and exploding rocket boots.

I'd use a portable light switch. It'd be like a remote.

: I don't see what's so weird with making things like that.

I wonder if people thought a remote for a TV was weird at some point.

: Thank you, Lorde.

: Yeah, thanks!

: Heh, you're weird just like them, aren't you, Lorde?

: All I'm saying is-

: Actually, you should go down and check the place out sometime, Lorde. Sometimes the old man who runs the shop lets Kazuki help out on this hot rod he's building.

: Wow, really?

: Yeah, it's pretty cool. Normally I fix motorcycles there, but cars are so much cooler.

: We should build our own car someday, Kazuki!

: Yeah, you guys should make me a go-kart. I'd ride that thing around all the time... Hey Kazuki, does your sister like go-karts?

Imagine driving a go-kart around town. Tokyo road traffic wasn't too bad the last time I went, but I wasn't paying much attention to it.

: Come on, be a pal!

: Hehe, Naoko's afraid of the things you make, Kazuki.

: No, she's afraid of the things YOU make.

: Oh, that's true...

: Hmm, maybe I'll swing by the bike shop sometime.

We can't go to bike shop as a date spot or anything but there'll be a few events there if we hang with Kazuki or Suzu.

Goon should appreciate other forms of art. Like portable light switches.

: Sure, I think it's pretty interesting.

: Oh, great. You're welcome to the shop any time, then.

: Yeah! You have to stop by again one of these days!

: Thanks, I will.

: And you'll have to show us around the school sometime. I know this isn't your first time here.

For a 15-year old, Kazuki seems pretty short. There used to be info about this up on Shira Oka's website. We had some neat infographics with stuff like height, likes, etc.

I'm bringing this up because Kazuki's 159cm (5'4"?). Suzu's 158cm, Hiroshi's 178cm and Naoko's 175cm. So Kazuki is shorter than basically everyone around him. It's a bit hard to tell from the art.

: HEY!

That's Kazuki and Suzu seen. Tuesday hits us with another event.

: Someone who's got his head on his shoulders...

Seeing Hiroshi this much seems rarer than seeing Aya this much. I mean, that Kazuki/Suzu event feels like a one-time thing and the first time I met Suzu, it was a different, more generic event. So that event was pleasantly new to me.

: What's that supposed to mean?! You're such a jerk!

Oh, right, they're arguing.

: You're crazy...

I, uh, don't remember getting this event much either. I've seen this like twice before, maybe?

No surprise, they're at it again...

: Hey, what are you looking at?

Shira Oka has a lot of events. There's two events relating to Lit and Science respectively that I've never seen but are meant to be huge boons.

I'm talking about the Lit and Science super trainings. I don't think we'll be getting Uber Fashion this loop but we might get Suave Chat.

: Hey, all I said is that you'll regret it.

: And how would you know what I would feel?

...Why did you bother asking him, Alice?

: Besides, I'm sure you couldn't take the pain...

: Why you...!

: Hey, hey, come on...

Reminder - Hiroshi is a Sports guy. Punching him is not a good idea.

: You should try to make yourself just a little bit more useful and actually DO something instead of standing around all day spouting out your opinions!

: Hey, you wouldn't have mentioned tattoos if you didn't want my opinion.

: I think Alice has the right idea.

I don't have a tattoo nor do I plan on getting one. But they can look pretty good.

: ...What?

: Not everyone regrets their tattoos, Hiroshi. And besides, they look pretty awesome if they're done well.

: See! Someone agrees with me.

: If it's something you really want, Alice, then you should definitely go for it one day.

: Thanks, and I'll make sure I let you know when I get it one so you can come with me!

Though, most of the people I know with tattoos got theirs in uni, so...

That would've been my reaction in high school too. Can't imagine a Japanese high school would approve of their students having tattoos either.

: Heh...

: Like he knows anything...

: That's Hiroshi for you...

: Yeah, there's no changing him...

: So what kind of tattoo would you get?

Seems a little odd. Anyone in the thread, do you have a tattoo and what does it look like?

: That sounds pretty neat.

: You think so? I was hoping someone else would like it.

: Yes, I think that would suit you.

: Aww, thanks, Lorde!

: No problem.

After this, we get a day of study in before we get another event. Been a busy week, huh?

oh great, it's you

Look like Aya's really working hard. That's a rare sight...

: Hello, Aya. What are you doing?

: Sorry...

: You have NO IDEA how much work I have to get done before the period is over!

: Good luck, then...

Ah, last minute assignments. I remember those in high school, but in uni, I was a little quicker to finish. Done a few hours before submission, not a few minutes.

Game: You see Suzu walk into the room from the corner of your eye.

: Hey, Suzu.

: Greetings! What brings you here?

: I saw Aya working, so I figured a miracle must be occurring here...

: Hmm, it does seem to be quite rare to see her at a computer...

I kind of wonder about the time period this game is set in. No official word on it but the uniform Suzu's wearing has been less popular in schools in the past few years. There was something about them in the Tokimeki LP but I can't quite remember where it brought up the topic.

: No, it's just rare that she's doing work instead of playing a game...

: Heehee, that's true! What is she working on?

: Ugh, I'll never get this done on time!

: She probably has a paper due next period...

Not quite sure which one is more insulting. I guess the top option is a bit nicer, maybe?

: That is typical Aya for you...

She'll yell at us either way. Not much agency in this event.

: Apologies!

: Sorry!

: Hmm...

: So what are you working on, Suzu?

: Oh... for biology class?

: No, just out of interest.

: ...Oh.

: It's quite fascinating, actually!

: I see...

: Ahh, I'm so relieved...

: Oh, don't forget to save your work, Aya.

Part of the reason that the time period bugs me is because computer literacy seems to be kind of odd here. I feel like people are a lot more used to computers these days.

: I know, I know, I'm not an idiot! Okay, it's saved. Just have to print now and I'm done... Come on, print!

: What seems to be the problem?

: This stupid computer is lagging and won't print my paper!

: It appears that you've asked it to print several times in succession.

Better that than the printer network be down.

: It's just lagging heavily because you attempted to do too many things at once. With this computer setup, it takes a while for a connection to be established with the printer, but you got too impatient.

Explaining stuff that seems basic to me reminds me of Go Go Nippon, actually. Never played it but my friend streamed like an hour of it once.

: I don't care, as long as I get my paper! How do we get this thing unfrozen?! Tell me we can unfreeze this computer! PLEASE!!

It's not quite the same. I mean, Go Go Nippon had a guy shut down because he saw a bidet. Goon's a lot better than that.

: Deep breath, Aya...

This is the fourth picture I have of Aya yelling in this event.

: Geez, sorry...

: Well, there are two options: One is just letting the computer sit until it can catch up with itself.

: How long would that take?

: About ten minutes, by the looks of it...

: I don't have ten minutes! I have to have this printed out for next period, and my teacher won't accept it if I walk in with it late! What's the other option?!

: Well, if you restart the computer, you might be able to print your paper more quickly if you're patient and only click the print button once.

: Great! Let's do that.

: Okay...

: Come on, come on, load faster...

: You really out to have more patience if you wish to continue using computers...

: Yeah, yeah, yeah...okay! We're back to the desktop.

: Open, just open the program and open your paper.

Riveting dialogue, I know. I've seen this a few times before and it doesn't seem to change much. Goon doesn't even bother remembering it, I think. It's a skip in the future.

: Okay...got it!

: Okay, now just be patient and let it print...

: Alright...

: See? It was done in not time at all.

: Thanks so much! I owe one, big-time!

: Heehee, don't worry about it.

: Glad to see it worked out for you.

Well, at least we got something for sitting through that.

After this, I decided to check with Satsuko who liked us the least. It's Hiroshi and according to Satsuko, we're on his bad side. Gonna be fun seeing how low we can get that.

Anyway, we've got 2 points of XP now. That's enough to either grab a point of Creativity which would make us better at Art (probably a good idea for an art run) or go for a trait. We'd need 8 points for Attentive, 10 points for Determined and 12 points for Lucky.

Quick reminder - All three of these options will give us more potential dialogue options, Luck will improve our success rate at actions making us better at everything, while Attentive will slow down the panic timer. The dialogue options with panic timers are a bit fiddly when using keyboard controls but it's probably not worth taking into account.

Also, we're not actually an Amnesiac. Just Forgetful. It'd be 20 points to have an Encyclopedic memory so that's not really much of an option.

It's probably a good idea to get some stats before more quirks but the option is there.

Just looking for a general answer, not a real vote. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I can get Hiroshi's reaction to Alice's desire for a tattoo, and Japanese schools would most certainly not allow it as Tattoos are traditionally associated with Yakuza and other criminals.

As for the uniforms, honestly even series that place in contemporary times go with the Sailor Fukus because it's such a popular style - though given the time back, I'm guessing Goon's suppose to be reliving Highschool in the 90s.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Let's go for luck, our art seems fine for now.

Is there a maximum Hiroshi-into-woodchipper run?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The most anti-Hiroshi run would probably be a Kiku or Alice run. Both of them will decrease Hiroshi's friendship with you if you're friends with them, since rivals. Hiroshi's kind of a character that you have to try to have him warm up to you, though. Even on later cycles, it takes effort to get him to something beyond "sort of approves of you".

Kiku's run will make you get all the stats though and Hiroshi's much more willing to be friends with you if you aren't a loser. So an Alice run is probably the most likely to have Hiroshi hate you. Honestly, I was expecting Aya to dislike us more at this point.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aww so there's nothing we can do to dunk on Hiroshi?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

There's plenty of options in events to dunk him but we're mostly going to need to be a hell of a lot better to do it. He's strong in academics, sport and for some reason, popularity. And if we don't see a certain event by the time we finish Kiku's route, I'll tell you about it.

I've used the term "dunk" for a lot of stuff, actually. Were you wondering about anything in particular?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hiroshi is probably coasting on past conquests to be popular, but it's gone to his head, resulting in a kind of smugness singularity. A smugularity, if you will.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Well, we'll be saving our points for the luck quirk. This or investing points into Creativity are probably the best bets at this point, although we could always use more points in Intelligence.

I thought I'd spoil you guys a bit. You'll see what the deal is with this.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

We're back. This is the first time I've shown off the calender, I think. It's very useful. You can see what events have gone on recently although that is mildly dependant on knowing the name of the event. You can also see exams and certain other events coming up.

Also, meeting Kazuki/Suzu counts as Suzu's event? I felt like it was more so Kazuki's but whatever. We do some art on the weekend, then start some Science on the week but Monday throws us an event.

Oh, this.

: About time we found you.

: What's wrong?

: Hiroshi's upset because you haven't been coming to the culture festival planning events.

: Come ON! He's had all summer!

: Aya says she doesn't think he knew. He was out sick when the announcements of the team were made, right?

: He was there when we were arguing over what to make the topic of it, remember!?

: I must have not realised how close it was to the date.

"I forgot" never seems to work as an excuse for me...

: I figured. I was hoping you wouldn't be so cruel as to just abandon us without any contribution. I mean, Hiroshi's been helping, right?

: What?!? I'll have you know I'm a great student.

: Oh, you say that a lot.

: What kind of events are taking place this year?

: Well, since you weren't involved...

: You mean, since he didn't even bother to show up...

I don't remember if this is linked to being friends with Alice, but I'm going to say it probably isn't. Sure puts her in a good light, though.

: It's not like it doesn't happen every year at schools.

: *sigh* Anyway... we've been working on an idea Naoko proposed.

: You only liked it because your precious Naoko suggested it. I liked it because it was good.

: As if!

Hey, here's our first task where we have a progress bar. As we do the activity, the bar will fill up. Depending on how much you fill up the bar, you'll either pass or you'll fail when the deadline for the task comes in.

: We only have a little more to go. So please come help us finish up, alright?

A month and a half is a bit tight, but it's not impossible and we do get have some time off to rest or do something. Not much though.

Eek. We get some Science done and Friday pops another event.

A Yui event is a bit rare, especially for such an early Goon. Our work on Art is likely paying off here.

: Oh, Yui?

: I wanted to know if tonight... You would come to meet me in Kirin Park.

: When?

Yeah, I remember this event now.

: Okay, sure.

We may as well spend time with Yui since we'll likely get very few chances to do so.

: I...will see you there, yes? I will see you later, then.

: Hey, wait-

Option B is just plain rude. Option A it is!

I should go and see what she wants. I'll meet her later.

: You came.

: Yeah, I did.

: I am so happy, thank you...come sit by me.

Game: You take a seat on the swing next to hers and swing gently.

: So...why did you want me to come?

: I...am stressed out at school, and at home I...I just...

: I just wanted to be alone with a friend.

: I see.

Game: You smile at her and your eyes meet for a moment before she shyly looks away.

: Th...thank you so much.

Game: You and Yui talk for about an hour or so.

: I feel so much better now. Thank you for coming. You certainly care.

: It's no problem, Yui.

Really wasn't expecting a Yui scene. Usually she's a bit more distant. The thing that surprises me the most about Yui is how the scene began. Didn't expect to ever see her assert herself.

We got a point of XP for that Yui event. And here's the task progress more clearly. Empty right now and we can only work on this on the weekdays. We catch some sleep for now.

We start working on the culture festival. As they mentioned earlier, we really should've started last semester. But Goon was out for that, so oh well.

You can see what a full week of success does. Our Lit and Science went down a bit, it's difficult to say if Sports and Fashion changed at all and we got a bit of Art and Popularity. Task's like these are less efficient than normal work but it's nice to get some stats out of since we're going to spending too much time on these.

Looks like we're 20%ish done. Pretty fast but that mental stamina drain is heavier than I remember. Our weekends are going to be spent trying to squeeze what stats we can out of our stamina pools. Finishing the festival prep is important for us.

Ah.

:perfect:

An imbalance between physical and mental stamina is always a pain to work with. One more week of work.

Have I mentioned working out recovers mental stamina?

Working out may be expensive in regards to physical stamina but that's fine with me. It's also been a month in game time since the start of this update. Time can fly fast when you've got things to work on.

Monday triggers a new event.

: Oh? For what?

: All your stats seem balanced, Goon. I'm glad your understand the importance of being a well-rounded person.

: Thanks.

: Keep up the good work!

I don't think we're very balanced. On Friday, another random event pops.

Game: You rub your hand and look around the room. Everybody is writing quite seriously, except for one person. In the back of the room, Kasumi looks quite bored. The long movements [of?] her pen implies that she is drawing rather than writing. Without giving it much further thought, you turn back to your test and get back to work.

I think I'll talk to Rena.

: Hi, Rena. What'd you think of the test?

Goon might've failed. Or been perilously close to doing so.

: I liked it a lot. It made me rethink some of the things we read recently.

: Oh, really?

Nice, short and I hope there's some XP on the other options.

We're not well-balanced in the least. If I hadn't tried to sneak some Science study in, we'd be doing even worse. Well, we're nearly done with the culture festival. Deadline's in two weeks, so we don't have much time.

On Monday, we get another random event. We had a bit of a dry streak of events recently. Not too many people like us so we get less events.

I figured if she was blinking, this might not look as weird. It turned out worse.

: Something wrong, Naoko? You don't usually look this glum.

There was a tornado through the Philippines in 1968, one in 1990, three in 1994 and one in 2008. I might be reading too much into this but 1994 would make sense for the year. Considering Shira Oka, they probably didn't research this but who knows?

: I feel so useless...there's nothing I can do to help.

: That's not like you. You always think of some way to help.

: Well, I was thinking of organising some kind of school fundraiser to raise money to help rebuild the town...

If you try to help everyone in Shira Oka, you won't have enough time to study or keep yourself up to date. Sometimes, you need to turn people down.

: Yeah, I doubt we would raise enough to do any good.

: I figured it would just be a waste of time... Oh well...

Karmic, I suppose.

We're just one success away from finishing this. Unless we get four fails again, we're fine.

Wish this happened last week, but eh. I'm not sure if four fails would've meant we fail the preparations. And we had some pretty bad luck this time, as well as time working out. I don't think I've ever failed a festival preparation.

Friday's here. Judgement time.

: I bet you are! And proud, too. Look at all these tasty foods.

: They certainly smell heavenly.

The bar on it was green before the icon faded away. We're fine.

Last time we saw the sunglasses was...Update 9 when Alice and Hiroshi were at the beach.

: Everyone worked so hard to make all this delicious food, too. And everyone's going to work so hard to keep the stand stocked with delicious food...

: It's going to be hard, but I'm sure everyone's prepared for it.

: You're right, Alice-chan. It should go perfectly...

: Yeah! Goon, you did great at all of the work preparing this summer. This is going to be a breeze with you around.

We only got one week off the prep work. Someone better notice that.

: Goon, I can't believe how well you did at all of the sessions. I have no doubt that we'll do great today. Come on, everyone- let's get to the stand.

Well, I'm glad that worked out.

Pretty fast two months, all things considered.

We're uh, a little behind schedule, I suppose. Exams are a month away and we'll be needing like 15's to get a C. Might be a little far off, but we'll see how we do.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

For all this game's faults, it nails the Tokimeki stat picture things. :allears:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

dmboogie posted:

For all this game's faults, it nails the Tokimeki stat picture things. :allears:

Yeah, they're pretty cute. The festival slap fight is a great one!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"sweetheart"?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you even get any stats for helping out with the festival or is that just an XP challenge?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

You can get a bit of popularity and art from the Culture Festival. You'd get more for doing their dedicated trainings, but it's not a complete waste of time. The more important thing is that completing makes people like you more. Especially Alice. Since we're looking like we're going for an Alice ending, we do need this.

Naoko just uses weird names for us, no matter what. She called us dear at the end of the date at the beach, even though she barely knew us.

At the moment, it seems like Alice likes us the best ("affection for you isn't too significant"), Yui is still not too sure about us (which is why I was surprised we were seeing her events) and it's hard to tell with Rena. We haven't really made much progress on the friendship part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Finishing the festival prep is important for us.

At least they didn't step in their paint and ruin that thing.