Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I can get Hiroshi's reaction to Alice's desire for a tattoo, and Japanese schools would most certainly not allow it as Tattoos are traditionally associated with Yakuza and other criminals.

As for the uniforms, honestly even series that place in contemporary times go with the Sailor Fukus because it's such a popular style - though given the time back, I'm guessing Goon's suppose to be reliving Highschool in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's a lot of neat mechanics in this game, but it seems to be just on the side of tedious, doesn't help the art really is amateurish.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Is Aya suppose to be such an unlikable rear end in a top hat, because holy hell.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

When I looked, the :filez: are both out of date and extremely sketchy, so buying it legit is literally the best option.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like if they didn't go for Voice acting at all, they could've used the money saved to hire a better artist - the VAs are nice, but the art probably caused a lot of people to click away.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Voice acting doesn't make too great of money, so not surprised they'd voice these indie projects if someone ponies up the cash.

But I have to agree, they could've focused more on QoL features

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

pretty much, as OP stated - we ended being absurdly lucky to get an ending as early as we did.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Wow, Aya is such a brat - I say we do her path ASAP and get it over with so we can just dunk her completely.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

all the more reason to get Aya out of the way, it's amazing she was suppose to be the 'mascot' character when she's such a massive rear end in a top hat. Like Hiroshi's a loving jerk, but he's full of himself and does care about his sister. Aya is just mean for no reason a lot of times (there's better way to write her not tolerating Rena's weirdness where she doesn't end up coming off as a massive bitch, but what we see in game is her being a bully), and with Kiku, etc. - she comes off as a fair-weather friend that blows people off the instant things don't go her way.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Very few writers can do Tsundere well - Aya is just the most extreme. Sad thing is, I can kind of get why she's so upset - it does kind of scan as Kiku taking control of her project, and she never did like Rena even if it's for stupid reasons, but she just handled it in an extremely childish and nasty matter that wins no favors.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Haifisch posted:

On the non-spoiler side, my mouse hates for all the clicking I had to do. I like what the game was trying to do, but dear god did it need a more competent devteam. Or at least one that could program a skip button into their game focused around a repeating cycle.

This is probably what ultimately killed the game's success

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I say do Aya next and we can ignore/dunk on her for the rest of the run.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Really the rest of the game looks interesting, Aya aside, but the lack of skip is inexcusable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seriously, why there's no auto-skip is a mystery, it's not even that difficult to program in Ren'Py

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Just get Aya's done and over with so we can safely dunk/ignore her for the rest of the LP

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SSNeoman posted:

Huh that game is translated?

Dubiously - the translation is crowd-sourced and it SHOWS. The secondary characters name change between the Chinese Name, and a literal translation, several spots where it's clear the translation was by a non-native speakers, and several (Namely the Go and Painting game) are left untranslated.

Like it's still a fun game and generally understandable unless you hit an untranslated spot, but sadly apparently they completely abandoned the English side of the game, so no added story content or improved English for us.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's also buying such an extremely expensive gift is pretty awkward especially if you're not super close to the person.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jolene posted:

So glad this LP updated. Shira Oka had to have been a massive undertaking, and I'd say it's pretty well put together... if it was a free fangame.

the price isn't that bad given I've seen what shoddier VNs being sold at, it just really lacks QoL mechanics this game sorely needs.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Haifisch posted:

I've seen worse art than that in other VNs. The art here is just slightly wonky instead of anatomically impossible.

It's still not great, but it's tolerable.

yeah there's VNs on steam that while technically more proficient, I find much more appalling to look at because the artist was clearly designing with one hand so to speak.

Or have terrible design sense - like Major/Minor where technically the sparkledogs are more technically advanced than Shira Oka's, but the awful color palettes, nonsensical costumes and lack of unity makes them so ugly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Calling it now, Yui's our token ghost character.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

it's a pity the they didn't or couldn't give the game more polish before releasing it, a skip seen text button alone would've bumped it up to a cult gem, because there's a lot of creativity and heart in this game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

least doing Aya now means we can dunk on her for the rest of the LP

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

it's the Akane Tendo school of cooking, like good sense to know potatoes and apples have similar textures - but not enough sense to realize you can't swap one for the other in a recipe like that.

The mayo pie sounds atrocious.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

You can see the germs of a good game under all the jank, just it really needs a lot of QoL improvements to make the looping mechanic less tedious to actually play through.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I guess since I've played early Hanako Games (which had some pretty bad art) I don't see it as quite as needed, especially for an indie game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aya's so disliked even the game went out of it's way to avoid her route.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's weird given all the off the wall things that happen that the suspension of belief breaks at a school inviting a graduate to compete and Hiroshi accepting. Thought accepting it is just going to play into the idea this is where he peaked and all downhill from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Oh god, they had to go there.