Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I managed to live my entire life up to this point without reading The Great Gatsby and I have no intention to read it in the near future.

Right now I'm reading"Consider Phlebas" and "The Dragonbone Chair."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

ScrubLeague posted:

I have the book of Fitzgerald's short stories and like most of those are excellent even if like 2/3 of them are just rewrites of the same story. It's weird that I don't like most of his novels.

Have you read The Last Tycoon? It has an engaging sequence in that day in the life of the tycoon, and takes a much more ambitious look at the wider aspects of American culture and politics. It probably would have been his best if he didn't go and die when it was around halfway done, or a little less.

Also according to Ernest Hemingway Fitzgerald had a small penis.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Applewhite posted:

I managed to live my entire life up to this point without reading The Great Gatsby and I have no intention to read it in the near future.

hey applewhite, haven't seen you for a while

Great Gatsby's pretty good and is also short which really helps when it comes to books

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'm learning to play tennis, hopefully this will give me some insight into the DFW's mind so I may one day find the strength to kill myself

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Despite what the other poster said about book series the Culture novels are really great.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

E1M1 posted:

I'm learning to play tennis, hopefully this will give me some insight into the DFW's mind so I may one day find the strength to kill myself

Godspeed.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Fitzgerald straight plagiarized from Zelda's diary. She was reading one of his stories and was like "huh that's loving familar lol"

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Fitzgerald straight plagiarized from Zelda's diary. She was reading one of his stories and was like "huh that's loving familar lol"

Zelda like the video game? Huh? :confused:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I'm reading Candide now and it's still funny and relevant today. Voltaire is just owning the religious hypocrites

Wooded Zacynthus
Mar 15, 2015

Carmant posted:

It’s been eighteen years since Infinite Jest was published and scholars have only begun to come to terms with its full implications. This is what you must understand. Wallace reverse-engineered not only the novel, but all of Western literature as well as language itself. Packed within Infinite Jest is Hamlet, The Brothers Karamazov, Gravity’s Rainbow, Ulysses, and everything else. Hell, it even serves as an overview of human history, from dawn to today. It’s a book you could spend a lifetime studying. A lifetime spent in bliss, no doubt. It would be more worthwhile to spend one’s life reading and rereading Infinite Jest than to achieve being “well-read” in the traditional sense.

No. I've read it, it is enjoyable, but it is hopelessly kitschy, didactic, and deritivative (mainly of Thomas Pynchon) and doesn't measure up to any of the works you mention here. Wallace was a pretty smart guy and a tortured soul. His bipolar disorder made his life a living hell even after he obtained a measure of success, and people have a tendency to romanticize the mental illness that hampered and ultimately killed him. I think its better to evaluate his work honestly, which is difficult because it gets a lot of unearned praise from people due to the cult of personality that built up around him after his suicide. I think this cult is what Bret Easton Ellis was alluding to in the tweet he got so much poo poo for.

I still think IJ is worth reading because it is a challenging, fun, humorous, and smart book, but artistically it leaves much to be desired.

I'm reading NYRB classics this summer (they look sexy on your bookshelf and are cool and good), currently working on The Letter Killers Club by Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky. I'm also reading Hesiod's Theogeny.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You can't plagiarize from loved ones.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Ellen DeGenerates posted:

No. I've read it, it is enjoyable, but it is hopelessly kitschy, didactic, and deritivative (mainly of Thomas Pynchon) and doesn't measure up to any of the works you mention here. Wallace was a pretty smart guy and a tortured soul. His bipolar disorder made his life a living hell even after he obtained a measure of success, and people have a tendency to romanticize the mental illness that hampered and ultimately killed him. I think its better to evaluate his work honestly, which is difficult because it gets a lot of unearned praise from people due to the cult of personality that built up around him after his suicide. I think this cult is what Bret Easton Ellis was alluding to in the tweet he got so much poo poo for.

That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard dude.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

a cult for the personality of "verbose worked-up dork"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
atm im reading books about sharp dick

total mary sue, but entertaining

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Lichy posted:

controversial opinion: the winter of our discontent is steinbecks best novel

I'll see that and raise you The Log from the Sea of Cortez.

I am currently reading The 42nd Parallel. Dos Passos doesn't seem to get read in the UK, outside of universities anyway. Nothing in bookstores or libraries anywhere near me.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Ellen DeGenerates posted:

currently working on The Letter Killers Club by Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky.

:hfive: Krzhizhanovsky is great. NYRB has two collections of short stories in addition to The Letter Killers Club which are both cool and good. Platonov and Olesha are some other Russian authors also worth reading if you haven't already.

I am reading The Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz. No babies eaten yet.

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

The Pale King has a few chapters (Chris Fogle and Meredith Rand) that are better than anything in IJ. Overall it reads like the first half of a first season of a TV show and would have needed 3000-4000 pages to tie everything together, even in the DFW way where nothing is really tied together.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

a cult for the personality of "verbose worked-up dork"

I see you have read Don Delilo.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

darth_pizza posted:

Jesus I nearly forgot about that rear end in a top hat.

If you're looking for weird postmodern wankery try Douglas Coupland. Generation X or Shampoo Planet are ok.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Every time I see forums poster Skylark I think of the book by that name

quote:

This alternately hilarious and melancholy classic of Hungarian literature plumbs the psyches of a husband and wife burdened with a homely daughter. After Ákos Vajkay and his wife, Antónia, dispatch Skylark, their stifling, unattractive and overbearing daughter, to visit with relatives, they revitalize their lives in Szarszeg, their backwater village, and recapture their youth with the Panthers, a schnapps-swilling men's social club. During their daughterless week, Ákos and Antónia rekindle their joy in living, taking in a transformative production of The Geisha and engaging in a drinking binge and epic meals at the local tavern. With their health and happiness returned to them, the disquieting realization of Skylark's return sets in, leading to an inevitable confrontation. The author slyly depicts a smalltown life that remains curiously relevant today with his exploration of the tension between the politics of the left and the right, atheism and Christianity, and parents and their children. Though written 80 years ago, this remains a deftly executed, thoughtful meditation on mortality and the passage of time.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

infinite jest was pretty good in that i wanted to read it more than once because i felt like i missed something the first time

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
hahahahaha you fuscking IDIOTR op, Infinite Jest sucked lmbo!!!

There was no wizard or anythjing and you expect me to think he was GENIUS??? lmbo wingardium loserosa was cast on you when you werre born op you moran lmbo!!!!!!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Jukeboxblues posted:

hahahahaha you fuscking IDIOTR op, Infinite Jest sucked lmbo!!!

There was no wizard or anythjing and you expect me to think he was GENIUS??? lmbo wingardium loserosa was cast on you when you werre born op you moran lmbo!!!!!!

Relax buddy.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

he's right about literature.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I started to read Infinite Jest on goon suggestion and I'm not saying I didn't like it necessarily but I did find it annoying to read and I didn't get very far before picking something else up.

I might try again one day but then I see posts like the OPs and I dunno that sounds like some fart huffing to me.

\/\/\/ I like that one.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 21, 2016

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i read confederacy of dunces again recently and it'sl still good thanks op for a lovely start

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
confederacy of dunces is good, but i feel like it becomes redundant if you spend enough time in gbs, it gives you no new insight.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

confederacy of dunces is good, but i feel like it becomes redundant if you spend enough time in gbs, it gives you no new insight.

That's how I felt about catcher in the rye while growing up in the livejournal era.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

fine i gues read dracula or something

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

social vegan posted:

fine i gues read dracula or something

I did. It's pretty hot actually.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

fine read some stephen leacock gad dang

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

darth_pizza posted:

i read white noise 1.5 times and really enjoyed the scenes that would translate well to a movie

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

White Noise posted:

The supermarket shelves have been rearranged. It happened one day without warning. There is agitation and panic in the aisles, dismay in the faces of older shoppers. They walk in a fragmented trance, stop and go, clusters of well-dressed figures frozen in the aisles, trying to figure out the pattern, discern the underlying logic, trying to remember where they'd seen the cream of wheat...smeared print, ghost images. In the altered shelves, the ambient roar, in the plain and heartless fact of their decline they try to work their way through confusion. But in the end it doesn't matter what they think they see. The terminals are equipped with holographic scanners, which decode the binary secret of every item, infallibly. This is the language of waves and radiation, or how the dead speak to the living. And this is where we wait together, regardless of age, our carts stocked with brightly colored goods. A slowly moving line, satisfying, giving us time to glance at the tabloids in the racks. Everything we need that is not food or love is in the tabloid racks. The tales of the supernatural and the extra-terrestrial. The miracle vitamins, the cures for cancer, the remedies for obesity, the cults of the famous and the dead.

White Noise isn't just a posting style

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Beige posted:

Despite what the other poster said about book series the Culture novels are really great.

\thats because the culture books aren't a series.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.H posted:

ignatius is so prescient a depiction of the modern goon. that book was written in the early 60s I think.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
The Monster at the End of this Book has a really spooky surprise ending. I won't spoil it, but watch out!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i spent about a week one summer chainsmoking on a balcony all hopped up on amphetamines while i read infinite jest.

if you cant do something similar, i wouldnt recommend it, but i really enjoyed it.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Kurt Vonnegut

All goons that haven't read any of Vonnegut's works are doing their comedy a disservice. Slaughterhouse Five is masterpiece for dry delivery during dark times.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Kurt Vonnegut

All goons that haven't read any of Vonnegut's works are doing their comedy a disservice. Slaughterhouse Five is masterpiece for dry delivery during dark times.
:yeah:

of Vonnegut, i've regrettably only read Slaughterhouse and Breakfast of Champions, but both were fantastic and i definitely recommend them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Kurt Vonnegut

first person to say the obvious thing in response to this loses

• Locked thread