Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Why they kept trying after mega man X is beyond me. That was a beautiful piece of work that should have told them hey, time to stop guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Y-Hat posted:

if Uka-Layle or whatever the hell they're calling it is also a disaster, then i'll be a little upset tbh

hahaha does the Wii U version seriously do that? way to go dumbfucks

maybe they should have delayed it like they did with the Xbox version

It was initially hardlocking Wii Us during the download, I don't think any full on bricking happened. They sent a patch out for it already so that issue's alleviated, but I don't think that fixed the lengthy load times that were also affecting that version.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Mega Man 9 was really good wtf happened

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Guy Mann posted:

obviously this all the fault of the lone female community manager they hired a year ago, if only the basement dwellers had sent more rape threats this could have all been prevented

Command Ant posted:

Remember that dumb bitch the people making this game hired to do their online PR? She was so bad at it that people started taking their money back in response to her bullshit. Maybe if they hadn't fired her, she would've alienated enough people to keep this game from being made. :haw:

e:

Oh poo poo, can it get any lower than having Sonic the Hedgehog making fun of you?

I literally can't understand how a person can take all the insane bullshit surrounding this game over the last three years and choose to focus on the tepid, inane, ancillary culture war part. Hang yourselves

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I literally can't understand how a person can take all the insane bullshit surrounding this game over the last three years and choose to focus on the tepid, inane ancillary culture war part.
Rebut every criticism of your sinking ship aside with accusations of misogyny. It will work this time. I swear.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Haha Eurogamer calls the game Mighty No. 2

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I literally can't understand how a person can take all the insane bullshit surrounding this game over the last three years and choose to focus on the tepid, inane, ancillary culture war part. Hang yourselves

Because of all the reasons to raise a red flag over the game's development the neckbearded fedoralords chose the absolute tiniest hill to die on and it's even funnier now that the game they so valiant harassed in the name of defending turns out to be total poop from a butt

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

update: backing issues on my mighty no. 2 have been resolved. there may even be a follow-up release shortly

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
It seems so easy to bilk nerds of their money over lovely movies/games/basically anything. As embarrassing as some of these projects can be, they're almost always great fun when they turn out to be failures.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Yooka-Laylee is going to be really good though :byodame:

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I wish that these game creators would do more with their Kickstarters than remake the game they're famous for with the serial numbers filed off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hadaka Apron posted:

I wish that these game creators would do more with their Kickstarters than remake the game they're famous for with the serial numbers filed off.

As much as nerds love to whine about endless sequels and spinoffs it's the only thing they give money to on Kickstarter so they only have themselves to blame

It's especially lovely now because games like Yooka-Laylee already had publishers and were going to be made no matter what but people still donated money to them en masse because they're gullible morons

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Tim Schafer started his own crowdfunding site so that he could get more money from people to make Psychonauts 2, and I'll bet the results of that are going to be like this tenfold.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Command Ant posted:

Tim Schafer started his own crowdfunding site so that he could get more money from people to make Psychonauts 2, and I'll bet the results of that are going to be like this tenfold.

Tim Schafer's an overrated rear end in a top hat, but he's good at taken money from nerds.

Kickstarter games can work, but the success stories seem kind of rare.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Kickstarter: Making nerds appreciate and side with publishers since 2014

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Some day, someone is going to run a Kickstarter that doesn't produce anything or give its investors anything in return, and it's going to make 9 figures in profit.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Command Ant posted:

Some day, someone is going to run a Kickstarter that doesn't produce anything or give its investors anything in return, and it's going to make 9 figures in profit.

While it's technically give it's backers something, Star Citizen has raised a poo poo ton of cash and basically done gently caress all with it.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

Command Ant posted:

yeah because Google will buy them out for some bizarre, arcane reason

Someone make the website

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Microsoft drops Psychonauts because Tim Schafer went over budget and past deadline, gamers swear that he's an under-appreciated genius and those mean old publishers don't appreciate his vision.

Activision drops Brutal Legend because Tim Schafer went over budget and past deadline, gamers swear that he's an under-appreciated genius and those mean old publishers don't appreciate his vision.

Broken Age raises eight times the money it asked for and still only delivers half a game past deadline while Time Schafer launches kickstarters for even more games and shuts down existing projects, all of a sudden gamers are concerned about his inability to stick to budgets and deadlines now that it's their capital on the line.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Zorodius posted:

I like Megaman a lot. Too bad this looks pretty crappy.

Not sure how you gently caress up Megaman. The game is already designed for you. A jumps, B shoots. That's pretty much all you have to get right.

you would think this, but Capcom released a mega man collection once that reversed the A and B buttons and gave you no option to change it. they can gently caress up literally everything.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I love video games so drat much

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Tato posted:

you would think this, but Capcom released a mega man collection once that reversed the A and B buttons and gave you no option to change it. they can gently caress up literally everything.

Capcom will occasionally have good ideas and then do everything possible to gently caress them over. They also apparently aren't good at reading trends or understanding why something worked.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Microsoft drops Psychonauts because Tim Schafer went over budget and past deadline, gamers swear that he's an under-appreciated genius and those mean old publishers don't appreciate his vision.

Activision drops Brutal Legend because Tim Schafer went over budget and past deadline, gamers swear that he's an under-appreciated genius and those mean old publishers don't appreciate his vision.

Broken Age raises eight times the money it asked for and still only delivers half a game past deadline while Time Schafer launches kickstarters for even more games and shuts down existing projects, all of a sudden gamers are concerned about his inability to stick to budgets and deadlines now that it's their capital on the line.

Tim Schafer did a very good job of showing people how much poo poo his publishers must've put up with, to the point that I found myself not caring about Psychonauts 2 and indeed kind of hoped its fake Kickstarter would fail. This thread just reminded me to see how it did and maybe other people felt as burned as I did by Broken Age and the other dumb poo poo they did like DF9, because wow "Double fine adventure game" pulled in almost as much as "Psychonauts 2" ended its campaign with lol. I can't wait for it to be uninspired garbage that comes out in 2024

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol

just played through trine & trine 2 a few weeks ago

solid games

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the funny thing is that, despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about some unpaid community manager, the people most likely to have a hand in making the game so flat and square and empty would be the speedrunners they took advice from

gotta know what's a solid and whats a background

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
How about, like just play megaman rather than producing something that looks like a flash game for a smartphone

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I really have no idea who that guy is. Is he from Attack of the Show? Did Sonic just get re-gifted an own by G4?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

social vegan posted:

what was the lamest thing backers got

If I recall correctly, the top backer reward was to go to Japan and eat dinner with Keiji Inafune. Pretty sure that was in the five figure range.

It's kind of a shame that this game turned out to be such a disaster. I was in the room at PAX when it was announced, and the excitement was palpable. I think I've even got my Mighty Number T-shirt stashed away in a drawer somewhere.

I remember thinking that I really should have given some money to their Kickstarter. Now I'm pretty glad I didn't.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Al Cowens posted:

Mega Man 9 was really good wtf happened

this is something I really wonder too. Mega Man 9 and 10 were great games, as were the Zero games. INTI Creates isn't a bad company. Bloodstained looks great, and that's also being done by INTI Creates, but with IGA at the helm. Gunvolt also gets rave reviews and its sequel is coming out sometime here too.

Ultimately it makes me feel like it was Inafune fault because the buck stops with him and Comcept. We've seen INTI make good poo poo before, maybe not on this level, but when they have proper direction they make good stuff.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 22, 2016

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
megaman 8 aniversary on the playsation had imcredible voice acting

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hadaka Apron posted:

really? because the parts of this that are bad are the parts not directly ripped from mega man, like for example I don't know the awful dash mechanic that is central to the whole experience but is counter intuitive and ugly and bad

they had a formula that made good games and they hosed it up really bad by doing what you are saying you want

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

cool how much do i back to get a dinner alone w megaman thanks

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

inafune was just in charge of art direction and was also a producer, so as funny as it is to pour poo poo on him, there's plenty of blame to go around
dear god this is just inexcusable. if i gave money to this i'd ask for a refund

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

ya ur right i like how he directed that checkerboard art

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I guess they were going for like a 'robotic computer pixel' with the particle effects...maybe?... but it just makes it look like dated garbage.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the game looks like poo poo...they couldn't possibly have spent all the money on it, could they? like, they just spent 40k to have some malaysians throw something together and pocketed the rest, right?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

BeefThief posted:

the game looks like poo poo...they couldn't possibly have spent all the money on it, could they? like, they just spent 40k to have some malaysians throw something together and pocketed the rest, right?

sounds like a pro strat, especially if you can raise enough to take a long hiatus from game development

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just watched some live streams of this. Everything looks like it came out of some freeware 3D Game Library.

They couldn't hire a good 2D artist and animator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/735638491636195328
lol

• Locked thread