Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

the MQ-9 Reaper. state of the art hunter-killer drone. referred to by its victims as the "angel of death"

this is what it looks like to pilot one - it;s just like video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w5NGKt71k4

it's great because it turns war into something EXACTLY like working in a slaughter house or being an executioner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Lt88KXzIQ

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I can't decide between Magitek Armor or Esper/Eidolon refinement, but either way the Slave Crown is easily the comfy-est piece of military tech I've ever worn to date :sparkles:

Also lasers, fiber optics, and invisibility cloaks :hellyeah:

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Get ready for a long & red nuclear surprise ! :fap:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Have you guys ever tried autoerotic asphyxiation with the addition of sarin gas?

:wink:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is the best idea the US miltary ever had. all of this other poo poo is toys bullshit, in the 1950 they were seriously considering making a Battlestar:

http://www.defenceaviation.com/2013/04/usaf-nuclear-powered-doomsday-machines.html

quote:

Orion Nuclear-Powered Orbital Battleship

In 1955, NACA (later to be known as NASA) was working on a nuclear-powered spaceship for trips to near-Earth orbit up to interstellar travel to neighboring star systems like Alpha Centauri. Nonetheless, the United States Air Force gotten involved in the Project Orion program which they’ve wanted it spacecraft to deliver satellites and crew members to orbiting space stations. However, one of the most radical, but little known USAF Project Orion proposals was the nuclear-powered orbital battleship that was proposed in the late-1950’s. While this system seems like something out of a science fiction novel or a movie, the massive nuclear-powered armed spaceship would orbit high above the Earth and if needed be, unleashes it nuclear payload on multiple targets.

The Orion orbital battleship was post to use a massive nuclear pulse rocket engine that used fission material bombs to power the giant spacecraft. Original plan was to launch the spacecraft to orbit using its nuclear-powered rocket from bases in Southwestern United States or from special launch platforms in the ocean like aircraft carriers or modified ships. However, due to safety reasons and nuclear fallout, they’ve decided to launch it instead using chemical rockets to Earth’s orbit. Orion was a giant massive spacecraft which was 286ft which was taller than most skyscrapers in that era and 164ft in diameter. It would had a crew of close to thirty people onboard that would have operated the orbital battleship. The spacecraft would use a special damper or shock absorbers and shielding to protect the crew from radiation from the ship’s engines and space. Nevertheless a unmanned variant of the Orion orbital battleship was planned too Furthermore, Orion also carried five smaller spaceplanes for resupplies, crew replacements, and emergency life boat in case the Orion was having problems or was getting attacked. It was also quite possible that those small spacecraft were used in defensive and offensive roles including protecting the Orion from Soviet spaceplanes and satellites along with providing reconnaissance and strike roles if necessary

Nevertheless though, the main mission for the Orion battleship would be nuclear deterrence against nations like the Soviet Union, China, and Warsaw Pact nations. The orbital battleship would carry up to 500 20MT nuclear warheads in the frontal part of the spaceship which can be fired downwards while orbiting above a target. However, another radical, but pretty much a doomsday device was an unmanned variant of the Orion battleship armed with a single 3GT (possibly the largest nuclear warhead ever proposed by any nation) nuclear warhead! The ship would fire the warhead or use the ship itself as weapon to strike at its target. Along with its nuclear warheads, the Orion orbital battleship carried massive array of defensive weapon systems like direct-energy weapons, five Mark 42 127mm naval guns, and ten, but mysterious Casaba howitzer which fired a special shaped rounds. The Orion battleship would have lived up to its name since it was armed like a naval battleship on the high seas. The United States Air Force was planning to have a fleet of these orbital battleships in space as a deterrent against the Soviet Union and his allies.

Nonetheless, even despite all these features and equipment for the Orion orbital battleship, there were still a lot problems the design. One of the issues which faced the whole Project Orion program was the issue over the damper and shock absorbers to protect the ship and crew from the nuclear blast form the engines. Nevertheless, the engineers were on ways fixing the shock absorber and damper issue along with improving the shielding protection for the crewmembers would be operating the battleship. Another problem was the cost since the whole Project Orion program would cost over billions of dollars to manufacture and build despite these giants. Furthermore, another big issue was the concern of safety since the last thing is having a massive accident or a failure with an orbital spaceship carrying over 500 20MT or a single 3GT nuclear warheads going at once would have resulted in total annihilation around the area along with a global nuclear winter too for decades. A top of that, there were fears from meteorites and other space debris along with accidental or glitch that can send warheads or the battleship into de-orbit mode which wouldn’t be pretty either. But the biggest issue was political since the U.S and the Soviets sign the Partial Test Ban Treaty in 1963 which banned testing nuclear weapons or any other nuclear devices in the high atmosphere which would later prove to be a final death nail for the Orion nuclear-powered battleship along with whole Project Orion program. Nonetheless, there is a story that USAF officials showed a model and told him details about the Orion orbital battleship to then President John F. Kennedy in which he got “freaked out” over the proposal that he canceled the project the second he hearing about it! While the project has been officially canceled in the early-1960’s, very little is known about the Orion orbital battleship proposal and a lot of details are still very much classified too this day including its nuclear weapons system and Casaba Howitzer.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 20, 2016

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

notZaar posted:

Machines can't be sexy you pervert.

Then why do I have an erection ?? :colbert:

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pei4SnavUk

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

this is the best idea the US miltary ever had. all of this other poo poo is toys bullshit, in the 1950 they were seriously considering making a Battlestar:

http://www.defenceaviation.com/2013/04/usaf-nuclear-powered-doomsday-machines.html

This thing would own so hard, imagine how much saltier the rest of the world would be today in jealousy if we had a actual dangling sword out in space menacing them.

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pawn 17 posted:

I think we could fit a few more lights and scopes on there. There aren't nearly enough.

You can free up a lot of extra room by removing the barrel.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Nice link building written like poo poo article on the Orion orgasm

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The most evil/hardcore weapon system ever devised? This poo poo right here!

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decebal posted:

Then why do I have an erection ?? :colbert:

That's not an erection it's just a pretzel stick that fell into your lap.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Rutibex posted:

Speaking of doomsday devices, the Russians actual did build one called "Dead Hand' and it's probably still in use today. The original idea was for it to be an automated nuclear launch system that monitored stuff like ground vibrations and radiation to determine if the US had attacked the USSR and killed all the command and control that would have been able to respond with their own launches. Had the system determined that was the case, it would automatically launch all of Russia's remaining nukes wired up to the system at the United States. Luckily for the world, Soviet leadership decided it was too dangerous and inserted human checks into the system. So now apparently there is a bunker somewhere with three dudes who control the whole thing. If they get the go ahead then they launch.

naem
May 29, 2011

Germstore posted:

The hottest new military tech out of The Peloponnese is the phalanx. You get a bunch of men, with a bunch of spears and a bunch of shields and you put then all in several lines.

Kids these days, with their "pointed sticks" and "fire"

Back in my day we had rocks and we liked 'em

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Rutibex posted:

please tell me that's all from google translate cause jesus christ that is awful writing

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

The most evil/hardcore weapon system ever devised? This poo poo right here!

That's definitely the most hosed up idea from the Space Age that almost got into prototype phase. It's like a concentrated bolt of evil selfish humanity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Prettz posted:

please tell me that's all from google translate cause jesus christ that is awful writing

:shrug:
it was the first thing that came up, i didn't read it over very well. sry its not up to the high standards of GBS

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

notZaar posted:

That's definitely the most hosed up idea from the Space Age that almost got into prototype phase. It's like a concentrated bolt of evil selfish humanity.

:patriot:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

:shrug:
it was the first thing that came up, i didn't read it over very well. sry its not up to the high standards of GBS

The Orion orbital battleship was post to use a

extremely shameful

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The US Navy is gonna stick a for real deal railgun on a ship soon I think

it's only a matter of time before we use it to blow up some dude with a rusty dented AK-47 or weddingTASTEFUL OPEN-AIR SPRING TERRORIST GATHERING with pinpoint accuracy

but man is it awesome

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

notZaar posted:

They almost got to prototype phase, then somebody raised their hand and asked "Where exactly are we going to test fly this embodiment of nuclear death that moves at Mach 4, kills everything it passes and stays aloft for weeks? Nevada's not big enough."

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

notZaar posted:

The SLAM and the Orion are Good & Cool ideas, but you know what the MIRV is like and that many were made, right?

Many of which are still around I'm pretty sure

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Monkey Fracas posted:

The US Navy is gonna stick a for real deal railgun on a ship soon I think

it's only a matter of time before we use it to blow up some dude with a rusty dented AK-47 or weddingTASTEFUL OPEN-AIR SPRING TERRORIST GATHERING with pinpoint accuracy

but man is it awesome

They should mount a railgun on a destroyer that uses chunks of the destroyer as ammo. When it's out of ammo they just build a new one.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Just wait until the US secretly unleashes a few crates full of military-controlled, colon-perforating, smart dildoes and begin killing closeted jihadists through teledildonics.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Reaper drones are sexy as hell. That cockpit-like blister but it's just blank metal? Beautiful

Rutibex posted:

Is that SEA PATROL?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

They should mount a railgun on a destroyer that uses chunks of the destroyer as ammo. When it's out of ammo they just build a new one.

Ah, the defense industry's dream weapon

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah, the defense industry's dream weapon

and it's a destroyer that destroys both the target and itself. it's poetic.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
It's kind of funny because railguns eat themselves as they are fired. So you sort of are firing a little bit of the destroyer out every time.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i like IEDs because they kill american boys

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Gentlemen, the United States has entered the Laser Age ! All laser weapon development increases by +4 per turn

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Decebal posted:

Gentlemen, the United States has entered the Laser Age ! All laser weapon development increases by +4 per turn

just imagine what that could do to james bonds balls

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i love that they call it "reaper"
they should call the next one "executioner" or something

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

AC-130 engaging in a mating display and fully erect.

Turns out fat is beautiful.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

the MiG-29 is just drat fine looking for a soviet airplane; how did that happen

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
A .50 caliber sniper rifle ! It's a beauty ! But, can you even use it on individual enemies ? Seems a bit of an overkill, but hey, I'm not complaining

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Decebal posted:

A .50 caliber sniper rifle ! It's a beauty ! But, can you even use it on individual enemies ? Seems a bit of an overkill, but hey, I'm not complaining

a good thing to remember is that if you're caught in the open with a gunman, is to hide behind the engine block of a car, because that's the only part of the car that actually can stop a bullet; they'll rip through everything else

that's in every case *but* the .50 cal, which *can* shoot through the engine block

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
The MIRV warheads are just super pretty and awesome in their destructive potential.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the MiG-29 is just drat fine looking for a soviet airplane; how did that happen

you can buy one for the low low price of $4.6m

http://www.raptoraviation.com/aircraft%20spec%20pages/Mig29.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Roylicious posted:

The MIRV warheads are just super pretty and awesome in their destructive potential.

Supposedly China is in the process of upgrading to MIRVs but only one of the warheads is actually a bomb and the rest are just decoys.

• Locked thread