Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm 100% okay with my kids' teachers paddling them. But only if I get to beat seven shades of poo poo out of those teachers if my kids have lovely grades come parent teacher conference night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Razorwired posted:

I'm 100% okay with my kids' teachers paddling them. But only if I get to beat seven shades of poo poo out of those teachers if my kids have lovely grades come parent teacher conference night.

This sounds reasonable.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

JiveHonky posted:

you dont even have a belly button why should we listen to you?

I think you need a paddlin'

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

We shouldn't even let tard children in school so I am actually okay with Southerners beating them.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tectonis posted:

We shouldn't even let tard children in school so I am actually okay with Southerners beating them.

Amen

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

vyst posted:

I bet if more kids were spanked by their parents the less ADHD bullshit medication they'd end up being on.

that requires parents to pay attention to their kids long enough to see them doing something worthy of a whoopin

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

that requires parents to pay attention to their kids long enough to see them doing something worthy of a whoopin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGkk1GGw3w

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

spacetoaster posted:

I took my son's tablet PC away for an entire month once. It sat on the bar the entire time. I forget exactly what he did, but it was bad (lied about something important I think). I'm pretty sure that's the worst punishment I ever did to him (he's 7).

Now his older sister is another story. I'll withhold a shopping trip or movie night and you'd think I stabbed her in the chest with a steak knife.

write a book on how to raise millennials

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Idk, negative reinforcement got my dog to stop throwing himself at our sliding glass door whenever a chicken would wander by. He is p stupid though so maybe it's not the best example.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Kiryen posted:

The fact is, the properly constituted authority CAN use force to make people comply. There may be other problems with spanking, but kids learning that is not one of them.

Uh of course it's an issue dude. A 12 year old doesn't understand 'properly constituted authority' they're just going to understand 'person is not doing what I want, I will hit/bully them until they do.'

Ignore all the poo poo I just linked talking about how corporal punishment doesn't teach anything and encourages aggressiveness and noncompliance though because 'my daddy spanked me and I'm ok!'

Like I just don't get it all the science says it has 0 benefit and all kinds of negatives idk how anyone could seriously be pro corporal punishment unless they just like beating kids or are deliberately ignorant.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 22, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Of course negative reinforcement works. Maybe not as well as positive reinforcement, haven't read up on any studies, but it certainly works. It's why when you burn your hand on a stove you don't keep touching it.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Burn your kids with the stove when they are bad

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Solice Kirsk posted:

Of course negative reinforcement works. Maybe not as well as positive reinforcement, haven't read up on any studies, but it certainly works. It's why when you burn your hand on a stove you don't keep touching it.

Touching fire teaches you that fire hurts therefore corporal punishment is valid.

lol

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Roylicious posted:

Touching fire teaches you that fire hurts therefore corporal punishment is valid.

lol

oh wow i'm so excited to read another loving thread where you purposefully misunderstand and misrepresent other ideas so you can shout about something stupid so someone else can shout stupid back at you, its so loving interesting.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

i wish i could get paid to beat kids

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

satanic splash-back posted:

oh wow i'm so excited to read another loving thread where you purposefully misunderstand and misrepresent other ideas so you can shout about something stupid so someone else can shout stupid back at you, its so loving interesting.

Bro I'm so excited to have goons ignore the preponderance of evidence so they can go 'what about this one edge case that isn't really what you're talking about but KINDA applies' and use that to justify keeping their dumbass world views intact.

Like I get asked to cite my evidence and I do and then I'm literally just met with 'well I burned my hand on a stove and then I didn't do that again so even though I didn't read anything and didn't do any research I feel like this qualifies me to know about the finer points of operant conditioning.'

Sorry you want to hit kids I guess.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
And if you really want to get into stupid goon pedantry: no one touches a stove just to touch a stove. Kids get burned trying to reach for cookies/cakes/whatever. All they learn is better ways to steal what they want.

I got burned on the cookie tray while reaching for cookies once, all I learned was 'be more careful' and I still stole a cookie. No one has burned themselves on a stove and went 'well I guess I better not nick food I want then.'

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
drat son, you were dedicated as gently caress to becoming a fat useless sad sack. I'm kind of impressed actually.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'd tell you to suck my balls but I'm sure you'll somehow misunderstand that too.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

satanic splash-back posted:

I'd tell you to suck my balls but I'm sure you'll somehow misunderstand that too.

Why don't you explain what your point here is exactly? Is it, 'despite your citations negative reinforcement does actually work,' or is it 'hitting kids does work' or what?

e: in before the personal insult

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You do get I was just saying that negative reinforcement is a thing and it does work to some extant right? Not that beating kids is good or teaches them anything. Even if beating kids was the best way to teach them I would be against it because we are adults and hurting someone that relies on us for their care is loving abhorrent.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Roylicious posted:

Why don't you explain what your point here is exactly?

Is it, 'despite your citations negative reinforcement does actually work,' or is it 'hitting kids does work' or what?

His point is you're a pathetic sack of poo poo. It's not really hard.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Solice Kirsk posted:

You do get I was just saying that negative reinforcement is a thing and it does work to some extant right?

Okay and I am telling you that everyone from respected behavioral psychologists to child developmental experts say that is not true.

It works sometimes for training animals which is why I qualified my statement earlier with the '95%.'

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

His point is you're a pathetic sack of poo poo. It's not really hard.

I bet my tummy is way flatter than yours is.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Beat your kid with a stove.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Roylicious posted:

Okay and I am telling you that everyone from respected behavioral psychologists to child developmental experts say that is not true.

It works sometimes for training animals which is why I qualified my statement earlier with the '95%.'

Ah, I see. You're just talking about teaching kids and not an "in general" sort of thing. We all good. Out of curiosity, do you have any links to the papers those behavioral psychologists? I'm kind of curious of how they tested their hypothesis and accounted for other punishments outside of corporal. Also, how they interpreted their data and compared it.

Dean of Swing posted:

Beat your kid with a stove.

Stove your kid with a beet.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ah, I see. You're just talking about teaching kids and not an "in general" sort of thing. We all good. Out of curiosity, do you have any links to the papers those behavioral psychologists? I'm kind of curious of how they tested their hypothesis and accounted for other punishments outside of corporal. Also, how they interpreted their data and compared it.

Yeah I meant more specifically in the context of parents/teachers interacting with kids. Obviously yeah you're right, if you do X and it hurts then your brain goes 'hey don't do that again' but aside from that basic physiological reaction you're not learning a whole lot. That's why corporal punishment results in short term compliance but less regard for rules/others and more aggression in the long term.

Anyway gonna just link you to this post as my phone browser sucks: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780625&userid=185036#post461292991

The links/addresses are in the 'quote=' bit. I didn't really want to link to Psychology Today but the article itself links to studies and stuff you can check out like Berlin et al., 2009; Gershoff et al., 2012.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 22, 2016

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Roylicious posted:

I bet my tummy is way flatter than yours is.

stop arguing with these people and just punch them in the face till they agree with you. I'm sure they'll be fine with that.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
if you spank kids too hard they die. what lesson does that teach them? not a very good one imo

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the real tragedy is that our people are too lily-livered to beat retards to death

we all suffer when the moral cowardice of parents leads to people like roylicious surviving childhood

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Don't be mad because you live in the South... Just leave.

The world is yours.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I didn't know this was still a thing. I assumed this was phased out everywhere in the late 80s or early 90s when local schools stopped using it as punishment.

I can tell you that I believe the stats on the students with "disabilities" . There were a few kids in or around my grade in elementary who were paddled nearly every day and were special ed students. You have to remember that in many schools the "disabled" students are made up of students who statistically fall into some/all of the following categories: free/reduced lunch, abusive (physical, mental, sexual) relationships at home, drug/alcohol abuse by them or family members, doesn't read well, can't do math, mental illness, parents/guardian in/out of jail, etc.

So when you hear "disabled kid paddled at school", teachers aren't flipping Stephen Hawking Jr's wheelchair over and beating his rear end with a drilled paddle for eating glue. It's probably some kid who doesn't read well that beat some nerd up on the playground because he watched his dad beat the poo poo out of his mom the night before after she drank the last of the Dark Eyes and couldn't drive him to his temporary job and his 49cc DUIped had a flat because their pitbull chewed through the tire while the father slept on the couch after shooting up.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

So when you hear "disabled kid paddled at school", teachers aren't flipping Stephen Hawking Jr's wheelchair over and beating his rear end with a drilled paddle for eating glue. It's probably some kid who doesn't read well that beat some nerd up on the playground because he watched his dad beat the poo poo out of his mom the night before after she drank the last of the Dark Eyes and couldn't drive him to his temporary job and his 49cc DUIped had a flat because their pitbull chewed through the tire while the father slept on the couch after shooting up.

This post is called Squidbillies

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Not spanking kids seems to be improving things dramatically.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

A stove burns your hand as soon as you touch it and also not only when someone sees you touching it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

JiveHonky posted:

if you spank kids too hard they die. what lesson does that teach them? not a very good one imo

sets an example for the other kids

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

If a teacher hit me in school I guarantee you I would gently caress up his car real bad

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Shocking, the lack of discipline definitely hasn't had an adverse effect on kids so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

cupachabra posted:

Shocking, the lack of discipline definitely hasn't had an adverse effect on kids so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0

the folks cited in your video evidence could use a punch in the nose but not as kids, but at whatever age they are now.

when i was a younger man i used to play a lot of playground basketball. i learned some important life lessons during this time. one day my friends and i were playing a group of young men we had not seen at our park before. i was feeling frisky during the game and talking poo poo. at one point in the game one of these young fellows we did not know asked me "who I thought i was getting loud with". this should have been a warning i recognized to maybe shut the gently caress up but i argued with this guy a little and continued to run my mouth.

after the game was over i went up to him and asked if we were cool and slapped hands with him in a friendly manner.

we were not, in fact, cool. i was shooting around a few minutes later when he walked up behind me and looped a sucker punch around hitting me in the side of the jaw. (jokes on him, he didnt need to sucker punch me i'm a pussy) there followed a short skirmish between my friends and his friends that was broken up by a white lady at the park who yelled and threatened to call the cops.

point being i learned a lesson about acting arrogant that day. a lesson that would probably not register on a young child.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
pain or papers choose wisely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JiveHonky posted:

the folks cited in your video evidence could use a punch in the nose but not as kids, but at whatever age they are now.

when i was a younger man i used to play a lot of playground basketball. i learned some important life lessons during this time. one day my friends and i were playing a group of young men we had not seen at our park before. i was feeling frisky during the game and talking poo poo. at one point in the game one of these young fellows we did not know asked me "who I thought i was getting loud with". this should have been a warning i recognized to maybe shut the gently caress up but i argued with this guy a little and continued to run my mouth.

after the game was over i went up to him and asked if we were cool and slapped hands with him in a friendly manner.

we were not, in fact, cool. i was shooting around a few minutes later when he walked up behind me and looped a sucker punch around hitting me in the side of the jaw. (jokes on him, he didnt need to sucker punch me i'm a pussy) there followed a short skirmish between my friends and his friends that was broken up by a white lady at the park who yelled and threatened to call the cops.

point being i learned a lesson about acting arrogant that day. a lesson that would probably not register on a young child.

Oh, I'm a big fan of people taking a solid rear end kicking sometime between the ages of 16-25. It opens your eyes to the way the real world works, and most likely the person kicking your rear end is gonna get away with it. Until something like that happens you just bumble through life thinking things are fair or that consequences are proportional to events. Getting jumped by 4 guys outside a bar because you told one of them to gently caress off really wakes you up.

• Locked thread