Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
England was once the mightiest empire in the world and there are a great many former savages who owe them a debt of gratitude for introducing civilization to their benighted lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Junior Jr. posted:

My country once ruled the world, we conquered everyone. Then we got shittier and shittier until we're now just a small island again and we're getting mopey with the EU and want to split up 'cause money problems.

:sigh: where did it all go wrong?

*Looks at a graph labeled "British Empire", notices huge downturn at "1776" mark*

*Strokes chin and purses lips*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

p sure thats rome

The British Empire basically was the Roman empire. London was a Roman colony and when the European empire fell into barbarism the British kept the torches of civilization lit.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

Says every single nation/monarch in Europe scrambling for legitimacy.

I bet they do, but the only thing that matters is results. Britain once ruled a quarter of the globe. What did France or Spain do besides each have their obligatory fifteen minutes of fame?

"Honh honh honh! The lingua franca is named after us because of our trading prowess!" Lol great job Pierre, how did some Vietnamese paddy farmer speaking French help you out at the battle of Trafalgar? Yeah.

I don't even know what Spain ever did aside from NOT discover America, and colonize Mexico. Thanks for that btw, Spain. You've really made something to be proud of there.

Face it, the only Roman colony that ever did anything worthwhile was Britain.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

vug posted:

England/Britain never imitated the Romans after they left, nothing like what the Germans and Russians, Polish, pretty much everyone on the mainland did. we never adopted Latin, the only people here who used Latin were monks and we ended up loving the monks off eventually.

you know that "Czar" and "Kaiser" are both titles derived from "Caesar" right
and all those 2 headed eagles on coats of arms and poo poo

but not us, we just went right the gently caress back to living in mud huts and sacrificing virgins in stone circles

They were imitating the decadent, already crumbling empire. The old school Romans sacrificed virgins all the time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

Spain and France both had their 15 mins of fame though so whatevs. You were just more recent than them.

Not arguing they didn't, but the biggest and the greatest was Great Britain. It's like comparing some rock and roll singer who was a contemporary of Elvis to Elvis.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now it's Istanbul.

Why'd they change it?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

I mean you were the largest empire in history technically I suppose but you also hosed the world over but good and we still have to deal with the consequences of limey assholery today.

At least the Romans left us something cool like architecture and systems of government. In the end what did the Brits contribute? The chip?

And also a little thing called America :911:

And also a little thing called Australia :australia:

And also a little thing called Canada :canada:

Oh and also a little thing called "the times when India was cool and didn't suck like it does now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roylicious posted:

But you people destroyed India. Look up who brought the caste system and all that bullshit back into vogue there 200 years after it was basically died out, it was the British colonialists. They wanted to re-create a traditional 'authentic' Indian power structure so as to better exploit them.

And you hosed up Africa and the Middle East as well.

I've been meaning to point out I'm actually American, not British but whatever.

• Locked thread