Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why is that little groove that runs down the middle of a sword called a "fuller" (on the swords that have those grooves, obviously) when it is literally the opposite in that the sword is now less full of metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cause white people be all starchy and bland?

which race does this remind you most of ?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've seen etymologies for "cracker" where it means "the people who sell all the crack and/or are responsible for the crack trade", with varying levels of conspiracy-theory attached to that depending on the speaker

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

loquacius posted:

I've seen etymologies for "cracker" where it means "the people who sell all the crack and/or are responsible for the crack trade", with varying levels of conspiracy-theory attached to that depending on the speaker

:negative:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

thathonkey posted:

ain't a mystery. they were originally simple dog treats literally used to "hush the puppy" so the hunter could cook his real human food in peace.

That's not true though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why is that little groove that runs down the middle of a sword called a "fuller" (on the swords that have those grooves, obviously) when it is literally the opposite in that the sword is now less full of metal?

Cause Fuller loves Pepsi

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

thathonkey posted:

hrmm i actually forget the etymology of honkey but cracker is pretty self-explanatory

honkey is a 70's jive name for white fellas honking at hookers in harlem

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

psychokitty posted:

That's not true though.

then i guess i've been lied to by the hushpuppy conspirators united coaliation and their horrific objective to mislead the public by exploting on their goodwill and naivety when it comes to food etymology . god drat. my whole life is a lie in fact ...

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

loquacius posted:

and cracker is from whitey crackin the whip at their slaves

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

thathonkey posted:

which race does this remind you most of ?

Well, it's all pocky and salty soooo....what ever race Edward James Almos is?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

thathonkey posted:

then i guess i've been lied to by the hushpuppy conspirators united coaliation and their horrific objective to mislead the public. god drat. my whole life is a lie in fact ...

IKR it's terrifying.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A "lush" was originally just an adjective for vibrant and full of energy, much like a healthy plant or colorful flower. This was later turned into a semi-insulting term for a drunkard, because someone who is drunk is always vibrant and full of energy and color, or in other words, the life of the party. This is where the semi-insult "lush" came from.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Also like a lush plant a drunk is well-watered

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Also like a well-watered lush plant, if you keep on watering a drunkard it dies.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I can verify that the Rock River which runs right through Winnebago county is indeed stinky water

Ahh, yes, the Winnebago County.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

8 track betamax posted:

Also what do you eggheads think about the pidgen theory of english....or whatever it's called. It's the idea that english developed as a pidgen trade language mixing middle english with french or something like that. Seems like word on the street is such that english shows evidence of being a pidgen in the past what because of certain "features" it used to of had.. but have gone the way of the dodo since. Stuff like noun case (only preserved in our pronouns like a retarded little brother locked up in the basement) And overlaying of latin grammer structures into english. Like the havoir helping verb??? I dunno it's been a while since I listened to the podcast on this subject.

Oh and I guess how english makes most of it's tense and aspect changes through a wacky humancentipede-style string of auxiliary verbs.

The prevalence of french loan words is mostly due to the Normans invading England in 1066. As the language evolved, things associated with the upper classes (law, cuisine, writing, politics, etc.) used the French word. However, the lower class still used the Germanic based words on a regular basis. They eventually kind of merged into the hodge podge mixture we have today.

Not sure about how we lost the gender system though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

William the conqueror was kind of a jerk then because learning gender in every other language you want to understand when the concept of gendered nouns is as alien as any other language concept but abstracted another layer from most of it.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
The term human being as a homosexual insult was derived from a gay person's propensity to carry large bundles of sticks to build their nests with. (colloquially known in Europe as faggots)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

psychokitty posted:

recently my family had a serious discussion about the origins of the word "hushpuppy," meaning a fried corn batter flavored with onion and spices. apparently it's a permanent food mystery.

From days of when poor people would cook and eat river salamanders an it was shameful to do so they euphemistically called them "hush puppies" which later got transferred to any non-fish breaded fried up thing and then eventually to those bread balls in my long john silvers family feast.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Infidel Castro posted:

Because when people have to learn the genders of objects in two different languages and they disagree, they're more inclined to just go "gently caress this".

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Infidel Castro posted:

The prevalence of french loan words is mostly due to the Normans invading England in 1066. As the language evolved, things associated with the upper classes (law, cuisine, writing, politics, etc.) used the French word. However, the lower class still used the Germanic based words on a regular basis. They eventually kind of merged into the hodge podge mixture we have today.

Because languages tend to become more simplified when in contact with other languages.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Why do they call it a cock pit?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Ahh, yes, the Winnebago County.

I accept that, although the river does run through 2 of the 3 Winnebago Counties (IL and WI but not IA)

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
It's called a galaxy because of boobs

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
'nose' is derived from the ancient greek word 'gnose' meaning organ of knowledge on account of the ancient belief that thoughts were smells. the philosopher most associated with the theory is parmenides of elea. as the original genius of the smell theory of knowledge, it is hardly surprising that that smelliest of cheeses, parmigiana, is named for him, roughly translated as 'king of odours/great wedge of knowing'

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

hemophilia posted:

William the conqueror was kind of a jerk then because learning gender in every other language you want to understand when the concept of gendered nouns is as alien as any other language concept but abstracted another layer from most of it.

I agree, gendered nouns a stupid idea and I'm glad we got rid of them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

I agree, gendered nouns a stupid idea and I'm glad we got rid of them.

what you don't want to have to memorize columns of mutations for Der/Die/Das for every case and when you're supposed to use them?!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

hemophilia posted:

what you don't want to have to memorize columns of mutations for Der/Die/Das for every case and when you're supposed to use them?!

That's what I did in college, hence why I know they're bullshit.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Infidel Castro posted:

That's what I did in college, hence why I know they're bullshit.

lol colage boy

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

hemophilia posted:

Heavens to betsy you idiot thats not how you go about learning a language

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

8 track betamax posted:

Honestly i didn't learn that way, but incidentally you can organize gender cases into columns and when you do it drives home how loving dumb it is

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

8 track betamax posted:

Yeah, go out drinking and use your 6-year-old equivalent vocabulary to talk with professionals about their work with ic cards, automotive engineering, etc.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Yeah, go out drinking and use your 6-year-old equivalent vocabulary to talk with professionals about their work with ic cards, automotive engineering, etc.

Augment your german vocabulary with rammstein songs. you can speak like an extremely perverse 7 year old

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
"Alley-Oop" is a sound people made back in the day during construction when they would be hoisting someone or something up with the help of another person.

The phrase was coined during the reconstruction of Paris after WWII, where French- and English-speaking soldiers needed a bilingual phrase to help them coordinate their labor efforts.

Hence: Allez ([we] Go) - Oop ("Up").

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

8 track betamax posted:

From days of when poor people would cook and eat river salamanders an it was shameful to do so they euphemistically called them "hush puppies" which later got transferred to any non-fish breaded fried up thing and then eventually to those bread balls in my long john silvers family feast.

That was one of the "maybe" origins I found.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

8 track betamax posted:

Because languages tend to become more simplified when in contact with other languages.

yeah and even before the normans showed up, english had been mixing with old norse from the vikings and they shared a lot of the same germanic root words but their inflection systems were pretty different so as the anglo saxons and the danes started to talk to each other they could identify the words that were used but not really the meaning of the whole sentences, because inflections are what tell ppl things like plurality, tense, subject or object etc so they said gently caress it and dropped almost all of the inflections (except for plurality) and started using the order of the words in the sentence with prepositional phrases to indicate what the subject and object was instead of learning new ways to tag it onto words

and this is why highly inflected languages can be a pain in the rear end to english speakers because they not only require a lot of memorization but also the words themselves can be arranged in a variety of different orders that make no loving sense to our brains bc we're used to encoding that in the word order of the sentence rather than tagging it onto the words themselves

we still have the remnants of older inflection systems in some of our words and they will give you a clue as to how early that word was adopted into the language, like oxen vs oxes

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I call my dog hushpuppy when he barks :dogout:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Orkin Mang posted:

lol colage boy

A high quality irony post

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
between the time the spanish found the rest of south america more interesting/profitable and the time the french came in to set up their sugar plantations, carribean islands like hispaniola became kind of a backwater and some of the french and dutch who had earlier been chased out of there set up in Tortuga and started attacking spanish shipping to make money instead

one of the things they would do is poach the now-freely roaming cattle on hispaniola, smoke the meat over platforms in a process that the carribean natives called bukkan, the french called boucaine (sp?) and the spanish called barbacoa, and sell the smoked meat to other ships passing thru.

this is the actual origin of not only bbq, but also buccaneer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Why is a League both a group of extraordinary gentleman, and a measure of distance.

• Locked thread