Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

He sucks, but the number of 3+D wings after the triple B's (Barnes, Bazemore, Batum) are gone, it's slim pickings.

That moment you realize that Dion is going to get paid and you're okay with it being your team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

morestuff posted:

I'm expecting Courtney Lee to get like $17M

Maybe not that high, he's on the wrong side of 30 which makes his value a lot lower.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Spacebump posted:

Retired players contracts don't go against the cap and teams can pay the deal if a player retires right? If so, why don't the Mavs just give Dirk a cheaper deal for two years with a 3rd and 4th at max?

The most recent CBA prohibits extreme backloading. Maximum yearly raises are 7.5% for any contract signed using bird rights and 4.5% for any exception contract.

e: when Derrick Williams is opting out you know poo poo's about to get real

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Retired players contracts don't go against the cap and teams can pay the deal if a player retires right? If so, why don't the Mavs just give Dirk a cheaper deal for two years with a 3rd and 4th at max?

Any money paid to a retired player counts against the cap, unless it's medical. Teams decide wether or not to pay normal retired players

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol Drake bet $60,000 against the Cavs. This is especially funny when you consider the first thing he did after the Raptors loss was run down the tunnel to hug LeBron on camera.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

JR LIVING THAT GOAT LIFE

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG7RRu4qwwr/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/745331900856832000

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I love that the page on amazon calls this book his first one. It also has a link to his other book.

https://twitter.com/KevinRashidi/status/745317508111015936

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 21, 2016

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I am Very Excite for tomorrow's parade! Gonna get there real early! :dance:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maybe a silly question but what is the point of the summer league? To evaluate borderline talent? To help players get better? All of the above?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TBeats posted:

Maybe a silly question but what is the point of the summer league? To evaluate borderline talent? To help players get better? All of the above?

All of the above.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spacebump posted:

I love that the page on amazon calls this book his first one. It also has a link to his other book.

https://twitter.com/KevinRashidi/status/745317508111015936

poo poo, so I'll have to either sit in the poo poo Cox Pavilion all day on Friday or lose my awesome seats by bouncing back and forth

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dexo posted:

All of the above.

This and it's also a league-wide schmoozefest where executives, agents, players and journalists get to hang out in Vegas for a few weeks

morestuff fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

morestuff posted:

This and it's also a league-wise schmoozefest where executives, agents, players and journalists get to hang out in Vegas for a few weeks

It is also open to the public, so it's great for fans to watch cheap, bad basketball with NBA legends in the general admission stands with them.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gilbert Arenas is a national treasure.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What the gently caress is this poo poo

lol

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Portland is looking for a color commentator to pair with Calabro.

I wonder if Agent Zero is available.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Agent zero chill

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Gilbert Arenas is the second most savage account on instagram after that guy that roasts people by laughing really hard at them and juxtaposing their faces with pop culture characters and objects

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Portland is looking for a color commentator to pair with Calabro.

I wonder if Agent Zero is available.

Speaking of..

I know commentary is usually pretty bad, but did anything think JVG and Mark Jackson were extra stupid this year?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

This is just the best

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gilbert Arenas is primary source material

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

It is also open to the public, so it's great for fans to watch cheap, bad basketball with NBA legends in the general admission stands with them.

I sadly don't have the vacation time to do it this year but I cannot recommend watching people attempt to have awkward urinal conversations with Danny Ainge highly enough.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Gilbert Arenas is the second most savage account on instagram after that guy that roasts people by laughing really hard at them and juxtaposing their faces with pop culture characters and objects

link please

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I sadly don't have the vacation time to do it this year but I cannot recommend watching people attempt to have awkward urinal conversations with Danny Ainge highly enough.

I've been thinking about it for the last few years but the Hornets keep playing in Orlando and no thanks

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

morestuff posted:

I've been thinking about it for the last few years but the Hornets keep playing in Orlando and no thanks

iirc the Orlando Summer League is closed to the public for whatever reason.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/ringer/status/745305315709755393

illcendiary posted:

link please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIrRMAvAR_U

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

The Orlando one seems so lovely and depressing and I have no idea why they don't expand it and do the whole thing in Vegas. But honestly it's not like most of the guys on he summer league team are actually gonna play for the Hornets anyway so just go and have fun in Vegas anyway. It's a cool experience even if your team isn't there. It's less a legit sporting event and more an excuse to people watch and see the rookies for the first time anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/745344137302515712

:kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I kinda-sorta-not-really want to start a NBA goon Summer League meetup but that would just be incredibly awkward, icky, and probably wouldn't happen even if I gave my best efforts to organize one.

Manstrocity
Apr 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r06rvgRLSw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Adam Morrison is a gun nut now but chill about it

quote:

Morrison describes himself as a libertarian. He believes law-abiding citizens should be allowed to fulfill their second amendment rights. He recites statistics and facts that he feels support his case but also makes sure to point out that he’s pro “certain aspects of gun control” and has never voluntarily signed for any sort of membership in the National Rifle Association.

"I see both sides," Morrison says often, whether talking about Israel, Kevin Durant or Donald Trump.

MourningView posted:

The Orlando one seems so lovely and depressing and I have no idea why they don't expand it and do the whole thing in Vegas. But honestly it's not like most of the guys on he summer league team are actually gonna play for the Hornets anyway so just go and have fun in Vegas anyway. It's a cool experience even if your team isn't there. It's less a legit sporting event and more an excuse to people watch and see the rookies for the first time anyway.

Yeah, I'd still be down to go. I've tried to set something up for the past few years but my friends are either broke or don't care enough

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Kibner posted:

I feel robbed. The closest I got was Mark Madsen's mom sitting near my friend and me. We were also like two rows behind Walt Frazier and Mike Breen doing the Knicks games, so I guess that counts.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TBeats posted:

Summer league functions as a sifter for NBA caliber players. If you're an NBA rotation player, you should dominate the fringe prospects and vets trying to make a go of it. It's oftentimes the first real chance to see if second rounders and late lottery guys are truly NBA players. For instance, Toronto's Norman Powell smoked summer league last year, and it gave us all a hint about his potential to be a rotation player.
The rule is that lottery picks should dominate, rotation caliber players should stand out.

And what everyone else said, it gets young players used to NBA coaching and rules, gives players space to test new parts of their games, and lets execs hang out and talk about things.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 21, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Will Simmons play in the Summer League?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's up to Rich Paul I guess. Okafor and Noel have both played though.

Edit

Okafor only played Vegas.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

If he's not a chicken poo poo he will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Summer league functions as a sifter for NBA caliber players. If you're an NBA rotation player, you should dominate the fringe prospects and vets trying to make a go of it. It's oftentimes the first real chance to see if second rounders and late lottery guys are truly NBA players. For instance, Toronto's Norman Powell smoked summer league last year, and it gave us all a hint about his potential to be a rotation player.
The rule is that lottery picks should dominate, rotation caliber players should stand out.

And what everyone else said, it gets young players used to NBA coaching and rules, gives players space to test new parts of their games, and lets execs hang out and talk about things.

Well, some lottery players just don't give a poo poo and that's ok too.

It's a great place to see guys going into their 2nd year who maybe had a hard time adjusting too. The games are real bad but in a fun way. I really want to get down there one year.

• Locked thread