Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Will Simmons play in the Summer League?

This would be the most hilarious thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

It makes me anxious just seeing him walk around in footwear with so little ankle support.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kibner posted:

I kinda-sorta-not-really want to start a NBA goon Summer League meetup but that would just be incredibly awkward, icky, and probably wouldn't happen even if I gave my best efforts to organize one.

I'll be there for the first two days but with a group of friends who don't understand online forums but be on the lookout for a goofy looking guy throwing some weak rear end trash talk at the players

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Dejan Bimble posted:

Summer league functions as a sifter for NBA caliber players. If you're an NBA rotation player, you should dominate the fringe prospects and vets trying to make a go of it. It's oftentimes the first real chance to see if second rounders and late lottery guys are truly NBA players. For instance, Toronto's Norman Powell smoked summer league last year, and it gave us all a hint about his potential to be a rotation player.
The rule is that lottery picks should dominate, rotation caliber players should stand out.

And what everyone else said, it gets young players used to NBA coaching and rules, gives players space to test new parts of their games, and lets execs hang out and talk about things.

It's worth mentioning that big men will often struggle due to a lack of team defense, everyone chucking without remorse and no one knowing how to throw an entry pass. With bigs you mostly want to look for rebounding and sick dunks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

u mad bro
https://gfycat.com/UncomfortableFortunateBrahmancow

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/745352271257608194

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Even if I wasn't a Sixers fan I would want Embiid to succeed because he seems like the coolest and goodest dude

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

It's a crime they didn't have parabolic microphones trained on every player for these finals

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeBron should have just blocked Curry's shot with his own arm. why are you blocking yourself why are you blocking yourself

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I really want to know what LeBron said to Steve after that one block.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

I'll be there for the first two days but with a group of friends who don't understand online forums but be on the lookout for a goofy looking guy throwing some weak rear end trash talk at the players

I haven't been, yet, and it is too late for me to request time off and go. I will have to plan for it next year.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

wew lad

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/745357418352115712

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Libertine posted:

It makes me anxious just seeing him walk around in footwear with so little ankle support.

His ankles are fine.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

lol at Dirk going anywhere. Lebron's about to opt out of his contract too.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You also get 10 fouls in summer league so you can go for the illusive Triple Bumble (10 fouls, 10 TOs, 10 missed shots)

NickRoweFillea posted:

Will Simmons play in the Summer League?

Can't imagine him not

Dexo posted:

lol at Dirk going anywhere. Lebron's about to opt out of his contract too.

I thought LeBron was only on a two year deal

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
SportsVU stats on The Block:

Lebron covered 76.0 feet in 3.92 seconds. His highest average speed during the chasedown was 16.8 miles per hour. The ball height was at 11.2 feet.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

I thought LeBron was only on a two year deal

Had a 1+1

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lebron is probably not going to ever be on a long rear end contract without opt outs ever again. Neither is KD or any other superstar if they are smart.

Actually hmm. I guess you can only have one option year.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 21, 2016

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

So he's a UFA anyways

He's never gonna have bird rights again

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
At some point I would have to imagine the money will be meaningless to LeBron. His NBA earnings are a pretty meager slice in the overall pie.

e: on the other hand, he invests quite a bit into the community so perhaps it makes sense to extract as much wealth from Gilbert as he can and Robin Hood that poo poo

Noctone fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

His ankles are fine.

They are now...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

So he's a UFA anyways

He's never gonna have bird rights again

Cavs still have his bird rights. Also he opted out of his 1+1 deal last year. and signed a new one for this year.

Next year is a player option for him. Cavs maintain his bird rights until he actually goes to another team(he won't) or they renounce the rights when he opt out(lol)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 21, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Noctone posted:

At some point I would have to imagine the money will be meaningless to LeBron. His NBA earnings are a pretty meager slice in the overall pie.

Nope, It's a status/Union thing. The NBA union would loving kill him if he didn't take the max deal. It's why there were grumbled at what for what they did in Miami from the union side because they didn't take the most money because then owners started getting the idea of trying to sell players and making them seem selfish in the media if they didn't take a discount in order to bring more players in.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Very good point.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He will, however, soon be at the age where it's more palatable for him to take less than max to help the team win a la Duncan.

Of course it's Lebron and he's a goddamn cyborg so "soon" probably means ~38-40.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The rumor is that Denzel Valentine's knees are totally hosed

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Looking forward to Becky repeating as summer league champ coach.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
edit: woops old

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

He probably won't drop too much because everyone's trying to scoop the high skill diamond in the rough but he already wasn't especially athletic

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

I kind of expected him to go higher than predicted because NBA-iffy POTY types always seem to, but I guess not now

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TBeats posted:

Did anyone watch ESPN's coverage of the Cavs coming home yesterday? It was the only channel it was on, else I would have watched it elsewhere because the anchors would not shut the gently caress up. It was goddamn infuriating.

I always like when TV shows are covering live events and two or three fathead news anchors talk over the whole thing and then cut to commercial. Or when the news shows play a portrait mode Youtube video and the anchor narrates over all the raw footage (that's already been spliced and diced).

leftist heap posted:

Of course it's plausible that a pro athlete is tired after an entire season. It's just a really crappy excuse and dumb to even mention IMO. It's the easiest schedule they have by far during the entire season. Richard Jefferson managed almost 20 minutes a game and played 31 minutes in game 7 and he's a million years old.

Maybe he was tired, I dunno, there just wasn't any evidence of it except that he didn't play out of his mind and that's more easily explained by good defense and maybe injuries? I just don't buy fatigue on its own as a real issue for Curry. The guy is 28 and well known for his stamina.

Richard Jefferson played 1,326 minutes (not enough to qualify for league rankings) and ran ~86 miles on the court during the regular season for a grand total of 2.7 WS. Richard Jefferson is not a crucial piece to the Cavaliers title either. Kyrie Irving played a little over half the season too.

OTOH, Curry ran 193 miles (top ten in the NBA) and played more than double RJs minutes while simultaneously having the greatest shooting season in league history and being the spearhead of the winningest team ever. Uncharted waters for any past NBA player. Not to mention as champions they were getting other teams best. It's reminiscent of 1972 Kareem on the Bucks.

Curry was not close to his regular season self. He missed plenty of 3P shots he normally makes. Studies have been done showing player performance correlates most with minutes played (compared to age or games played). Kobe and Dirk are two guys who've started out seasons strong recently and then suddenly had a major drop off. If the season was shorter things would play out differently.

"No excuses!" or "the great ones tell their body...not today" are vacuously macho mantras not based in reality.

Rick posted:

To me, the best argument against the NBA being fixed is that if it was fixed, they absolutely spent the last 6-7 years setting up the Cavs to be their Eastern Conference Champion for the rest of the 10s.

The city needed an economic stimulus very badly. Now people are buying clothes, newspapers and going to Cedar Point! LBJ will be held up as some kind of demigod in the region for a long time. Perhaps another half-century.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Memphis pick confirmed

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
No we're taking Malachi Richardson because we can't draft for poo poo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

2016 LBJ ranks highly on a lot of Finals series lists:

code:
Rank 	Player 		Finals 	STL (since 1974)
1. 	Isiah Thomas 	1988 	20
2. 	LeBron James 	2016 	18

Rank 	Player 	Finals 	TOV (since 1978)
1. 	Magic Johnson* 	1984 	31
  	LeBron James 	2016 	31

Rank 	Player 	Finals 	AST (since 1955)
1. 	Magic Johnson* 	1984 	95
2. 	Magic Johnson* 	1988 	91
3. 	Magic Johnson* 	1985 	84
4. 	Magic Johnson* 	1987 	78
5. 	Walt Frazier* 	1970 	73
6. 	Bob Cousy* 	1960 	70
7. 	Bob Cousy* 	1962 	65
8. 	Isiah Thomas* 	1988 	63
9. 	Magic Johnson* 	1991 	62
  	LeBron James 	2016 	62
Bonus :tinfoil:

code:
Rank 	Player 	Finals 	FT (since 1947)
1. 	Elgin Baylor* 	1962 	82
2. 	Jerry West* 	1970 	75
  	Dwyane Wade 	2006 	75
4. 	Bob Pettit* 	1957 	73

EvanTH posted:

Potential Off-season Topics:

...but what about a SCUBA diver? Which NBA players would flourish beneath the sea?
--Drama in the Bulls front office

Athletes doing deep SCUBA diving (800-1000 feet range) would make for good TV (and a lot of death footage).

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He will, however, soon be at the age where it's more palatable for him to take less than max to help the team win a la Duncan.

Of course it's Lebron and he's a goddamn cyborg so "soon" probably means ~38-40.

2038-2040.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 21, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

ONLY THE BULLS

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Dirk wants to go sign with the Timberwolves.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I checked GmSc for the 1974-1977 finals (years where only TOVs are missing) and LBJ does have the highest since at least 1975. Kareem had a GmSc (excluding TOVs) of 203.5 in 1974. There's no way to be sure about his TOVs unless someone has all those games on tape and hires Scott Foster to watch them.

I was hoping LBJ would cite his secret motivation as having the highest GmSc since the NBA-ABA merger but it was just "Pat Riley hurt my feelings."

LBJ had a GmSc of 39.2+ in two straight games. It's rare (since 1984):

code:
Player 		First 		Last 		Games
Michael Jordan 	1987-04-12 	1987-04-16 	3
Michael Jordan 	1990-03-28 	1990-04-01 	3
LeBron James 	2016-06-13 	2016-06-16 	2
LeBron James 	2006-03-29 	2006-04-01 	2
Antawn Jamison 	2000-12-03 	2000-12-06 	2
David Robinson 	1991-01-08 	1991-01-10 	2
Michael Jordan 	1989-05-13 	1989-05-14 	2
Charles Barkley 1987-12-16 	1987-12-17 	2

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zogo posted:

"No excuses!" or "the great ones tell their body...not today" are vacuously macho mantras not based in reality.
I don't think anyone posting on here honestly believes any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Dwight just opted out too

• Locked thread