Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
There's a new nearly impenetrable copy protection that may help that happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

real_scud posted:

It won't because I know a lot of the guys are already busting their balls getting all sorts of things squared away for patches and also laying out the guideline for what's going to happen next year.

Like a good friend of mine is putting the finishing touches on something people have been yelling about for years. Hell, I was the one who was supposed to do it but because I'm leaving tomorrow it got passed to him. It's come along nicely and I'm pretty sure everyone is going to be over the goddamned moon about it. :ninja:

Is it the announcers seemingly forgetting what happened 3 minutes ago, leading to claims that you "went for it on fourth down but came up short" when in fact you kicked a field goal to take the lead?

Is it AI trading away all of their draft picks and teams like the browns mortgaging their future in the draft?

Is it drafts that take 45 minutes to simulate through if you're a Player in CFM?

Is it the fact that somehow as a player you still called all your own plays?

Is it the fact that no one has any salary cap space 6 years into every franchise and some teams are missing whole positions from their roster?

Or is it a gameplay change, like making it so draw plays actually might occasionally work? Or making it so the linebacker doesn't sit on 100% of slant routes, making them useless?

i hope I hit it somewhere

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

real_scud posted:

That's because people would pitch a fuckin fit if they couldn't pick plays and were instead forced with whatever the CPU picked.

I never got this line of logic in game development. If you don't think people would like the option so you never offer the option, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. It worked in RTG in the NCAA series really drat well, I'm not sure why it wouldn't here.

For those who haven't played NCAA or the Road to Glory mode, basically you started as a freshman backup and had to beat out your competition through challenges to earn a starting job, then after that you would slowly earn the ability to make checks at the line, flip plays, audible and call hot routes until in your late sophomore/early junior season you were completely running the offense. It worked and it owned. Why wouldn't it work just as well for Madden?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

So I got the game yesterday and I like it quite a bit, but it crashes a lot. It seems like the game has trouble transitioning from simming to "Playing the moments" because 80% of my crashes come after I choose to play a moment. The camera comes up in the broadcast position then... nothing.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Oh man I found a weird glitch in CFM. I offered a trade to another team (a late pick for a safety) and the CPU promptly declined so I went to sign an FA instead. Looking at my roster to compare, I noticed that I actually DID have the player I tried to trade for AND I retained the pick I offered. So I essentially got a free player. Hurray?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I have a question about ratings... do they actually matter? So many times in games it seems like my best players are lower rated than my superstars. I have this one 6'6 WR that's a 73 overall with 91 speed, 68 STR, 72 BPR and mediocre abilities outside of that. Yet he absolutely balls out against everyone. He regularly beats corners deep but more surprisingly he is able to muscle through tackles like they're nothing. Are there factors outside of the stats you see that affect the performance of WRs? Also I wonder if his size and weight modifies his strength. Is a 6'6 240 lb WR with 70 STR stronger than a 5'11 195 lb WR with 70 str?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

unfortunately it's a drafted player in a CFM so no muthead. Also he doesn't have fight for extra yards or run after catch. Yet somehow I've seen this glorious motherfucker plow through two tacklers at once for 4-5 yards after contact and get into the endzone. He leads the NFL in touchdowns after 5 weeks with 9.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Dralun posted:

What's his truck rating?

Mid 60s IIRC. And yes, I know he doesn't have Fight for Yards or Run after Catch because I looked at the card.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I had this happen once except when I unpaused it was 3rd and -3.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I have noticed something really weird happening lately in my franchise mode. I mostly play offense and sim defense on slow (so I can watch them play and relax). Lately I've noticed that whenever I score a TD the extra point is being kicked from a random spot on the field. It's never been on the wrong side of the field or anything, but I did have one recently where I had to kick it from the 43 and missed (it was well out of my kicker's range. This has happened like 6 or 7 times over the last few weeks and I haven't really played all that much. Is it a widespread issue?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Also CPU teams are constantly trying to kick field goals from unrealistic distances, giving up great field position in the process

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

What about the terrible field goal kicking decision making? I've seen multiple games swing because the cpu decided to try a 60 yard fg rather than punt in close or tied games

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Just happened again. Had to kick a PAT from the 28. Now that I think about it it's usually the 28 or the 42 or 43 if it isn't right.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah it's reproducible. Just play regularly, score a TD and then press left stick to super sim. If you're set to slow it'll kick that PAT from the 28. No idea what caused the 42 to happen though

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

What frustrates me is when the CPU players don't even make an attempt to block and instead just run straight forward off the edge, past the line and ignoring the kicker.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

This is my experience as well. There are a few different run plays that never seem to get stopped short of 5-6 yards in my experience, and the rest get no gain or a loss. God help you on some of the read option plays too, where you get the choice of losing 3 yards or losing 5 yards. And if you're watching simulated playcalling, you'll be seeing a lot of those bad option plays.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

What difficulty do goons play on

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I play on all Madden lol. That may be why run defense is basically unbeatable against me save for like 2 plays

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

A boring choice and also one that raises the question: Why hasn't this happened before?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

How do I join this league

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Papes posted:

If you can't run in madden 17 I guarantee you are either hitting turbo behind the line of scrimmage, playing a card mode, or have the vision of Trent Richardson.

Here's an experiment for you: watch a sim with a run heavy team for a bit. Bonus points if they have a good or great running back. They're gonna get stuffed in the backfield on every run that takes more than half a second to develop. I doubt the CPU is turbo pressing in the backfield. Many times the d line or linebackers will get there almost as soon as the ball is handed off. The oline and the way they block is the issue.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Longshot sounded cool, but when i read that

Mike Young, via Polygon posted:

“All of the games within Longshot, none of them are the main character playing a 2017 NFL schedule,”

I got way less excited. What exactly is the point of the mode if you don't get to play in the NFL at some point?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

real_scud posted:

They didn't. This has been worked on for about 2-3 years by a small team, most of them were brought in specifically for this. So quit your lovely bitching.

yeah I wasn't worried about the resources but after seeing what FIFA was able to do with the journey, this is a step backward in my book. To be fair with an nfl football game that would be a minefield. Off the top of my head...

-different story/dialogue for different positions (positions are way more varied in purpose than soccer, and even FIFA only let you play on the attacking side in The Journey)
-nfl is touchy about anything even remotely dodgy, so most conflict is out
-narrative would be tough when you could be on 32 different teams and some wouldn't even have you starting/playing for years
-FIFA used actual players' voices in cutscenes (I think) which would be difficult in the NFL. (this one is just a gut feeling and i have nothing to back it up).

What I would have liked to see is a mode following the life of a real player. For example (because I know his story) Cam Newton. Dude was a high school star with a football scholarship at a great football university, got kicked out due to some lovely decisions, had to rehab his image at a low level, came back to be a star, burst onto the scene in the NFL, had some HUGE early career moments, got into a really bad car wreck and then didn't lose a game for a year. Other than the car wreck and the different way that FIFA works, this is pretty much the story of The Journey as well. And this could go for a bunch of other players too. Play through TO or Randy Moss's careers. There are plenty of really interesting stories in the NFL, why not use an existing one rather than say "gently caress it, I guess this NFL story won't have anything to do with the NFL"?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Volkerball posted:

I'm all for making player careers more detailed and interesting, but these weird play in a scripted movie modes that started with the NBA 2K career mode (a spike lee joint!), and have since moved to FIFA and now Madden, just aren't that good. I think if you're going to try and make those game modes more interesting, the old NHL game models are the way to go. Play your player from the beginning and work your way up to the draft. Your draft stock is based on your overall and how well you played. Then after you get drafted, you continue on to win 13 MVP awards or w/e. That gives you replayability at any position. The NCAA games were really good at this too. You started in high school, how well you played determined which schools would recruit you, and then you had practices where you had to score points that led to you beating out the guys ahead of you on the depth chart. Then you just played out your college career. I probably did 20 different careers in that mode. It's so weird to put all the emphasis on like, character development, instead of playing sports.

FIFA wasn't that bad because for the most part it stayed out of the way. Your career hits a few predetermined speed bumps but for the most part it's pick your team, play your schedule, watch the occasional cutscene of your friend being an rear end. I actually like it for what it is: A MyCareer mode but with a slight narrative thread.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I just realized the entire Madden story mode will be worth it if I can celebrate after scoring a touchdown and then watch a hot take show where old dudes complain about how I don't play the game the right way. Bonus points if they talk about a white guy that does.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Papes posted:

Don't play card modes

This is good advice to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I never get more than 5 or 6 years into a franchise before teams have hosed themselves with huge contracts. The raiders usually can't afford to keep 30 players under contract by 2022.

• Locked thread